Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,216Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • #1
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

    A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!




    My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

    Sarah

    Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

    Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

    50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 81
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 28th Nov 17, 5:54 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 6,458 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Really sorry to hear that, JoJo.......hope they see sense and it can all get resolved asap! Sending positive vibes your way.......
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

    Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Kpossible929
    • By Kpossible929 28th Nov 17, 5:56 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Kpossible929
    We got an email from our MA today to say our full mortgage offer is in the post on its way to us!
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 28th Nov 17, 6:22 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    Just catching up JoJo. What a nightmare. From previous post I would've said empty threats but to go through with it on exchange day there must be something else at play....

    Sounds like deciding to carry on with your sale is a good move. Fingers crossed that your vendors decide to do the same or that an even more perfect house comes along!
    • Marcus1991
    • By Marcus1991 28th Nov 17, 6:53 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Marcus1991
    We're hoping to exchange before we go on Holiday next wednesday. Just waiting for the HTB Isa closing statement from Santander. Are we able to exchange once we get the closing statement, or do we have to wait until the bonus has been paid to the solicitor?
    • chazzab
    • By chazzab 28th Nov 17, 7:20 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    chazzab
    What a mess Jojo! It seriously worries me when I hear stories like yours that literally anything can go wrong at any time. I hope the next two weeks go smoothly and it finally falls into place for you!

    So its with a huge amount of trepidation that I can say finally...
    ... We are back waiting to exchange!!

    After losing our buyer a week and a half ago, we have had 6 new viewings of our flat and have accepted another offer. £1k less than our previous accepted offer but the numbers all work for us.

    Came as a bit of shock as I came home yesterday to find this prospective buyer in my house.... the estate agents automatic email notification for viewings didn't work so I was unaware the viewing was taking place! I duly waited in the cold for the viewing to finish and they had put an offer in before 9am this morning. FTB who wants to move as quick as physically possible (ha!) but has a big deposit so hopefully that is an enabler. Result!

    I'll be here watching everyone progress and hopefully updating you all with mine

    Good luck everyone!
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 28th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Joining this thread. Our original buyer went AWOL but the estate agents found another one without the need for further viewings (he saw our property in September), so we've accepted his offer today (he's a cash buyer), our mortgage application is officially approved, so full steam ahead. Our buyer is a developer and apparently isn't planning to do a survey, as he's bought several houses in the area including the house directly opposite. The guy we're buying from has had some delays from the people he's buying from (which is the top of the chain), but our solicitor has done all the searches we need her to do. I guess now we're waiting for draft contracts once our buyer's solicitor kicks in and does his bit. Hoping we can exchange before Christmas, with completion second week January.
    "Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you ó the thing that makes you unique and human." ~ Dr. Jenner, The Walking Dead
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 29th Nov 17, 7:47 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    dancing_star
    JoJo, fingers crossed. Some people!!!

    It's completion day for me. I am getting started on work as soon as I get the keys, namely wallpaper stripping and carpet removal ready for builders to go in.

    I have no idea what time to expect the keys and I've been awake since 4am worrying about what can possibly go wrong, so weather or no weather I am going for a run.
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 29th Nov 17, 8:18 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    chrissie83
    Jojo that is really terrible-I want to cry for you.
    Our mortgage offer is in phew but there's a mistake on it so waiting for the new one so we can sign it & the contract papers. Our searchers on the new house were fine but our house came back as contaminated land so our sol is sorting indemnity insurance. We have Friday 8th pencilled in for completion but our buyer doesn't appear to be answering his phone or emails so I'm really hoping to hear from him today
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 29th Nov 17, 9:03 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    OMG Jo-Jo so very very sorry, i hope you can get it sorted and salvage something ASAP.

    Our mortgage valuation came back approved, solicitors have requested title deeds from previous mortgage company and once they have those they will be in a position to submit to the buyers solicitors Got to drop in our ID as i forgot to to do it the other day as got stuck at work ..must make sure i do that today !

    Once all that goes through got to instruct a surveyor and then game on !
    • Flutterbat17
    • By Flutterbat17 29th Nov 17, 9:34 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Flutterbat17
    Crissie who did your searches? Ours was flagged as high potential risk of contaminated land but it isnít actually contaminated, rather there is an MOT testing centre near by with a permit for aerosol substances so they couldnít rule out contaminated...unless I paid them £200 to do so further digging with the local authority. Our seller provided his searches from 2010 and the local authority confirmed on his report that it isnít contaminated or on their register to potential contaminated land and that it hasnít had any historical contamination.

    Iíd ask your seller if they have their searches to find out what theirs came back as?
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 29th Nov 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 3,552 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    So just signed and got witnessed my mortgage deeds and posted it to my sol. my sol is (apparently) busy sending off docs to my mortgage company. All searches are back claims of risk of flooding - which is laughable. Double checked and buildings insurance is good to go.

    Could I be in by Christmas? The hope is growing :-D
    Attempting to buy a house
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 29th Nov 17, 1:20 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    So just signed and got witnessed my mortgage deeds and posted it to my sol. my sol is (apparently) busy sending off docs to my mortgage company. All searches are back claims of risk of flooding - which is laughable. Double checked and buildings insurance is good to go.

    Could I be in by Christmas? The hope is growing :-D
    Originally posted by CommitedToChange
    Did they say why their is a risk of flooding ...?

    Fingers crossed for a pre xmas move !!!
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 29th Nov 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 3,552 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Did they say why their is a risk of flooding ...?

    Fingers crossed for a pre xmas move !!!
    Originally posted by Littlebobo1981
    Not sure - but she is going to send the searches to me shortly.

    The house is on a hill which is on another hill - if it floods we have bigger things to worry about. I also live around the corner so I know it doesn't flood. I mentioned it to the estate agent - who laughed as well.
    Attempting to buy a house
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 29th Nov 17, 4:15 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    chrissie83
    OMG Jo-Jo so very very sorry, i hope you can get it sorted and salvage something ASAP.

    Our mortgage valuation came back approved, solicitors have requested title deeds from previous mortgage company and once they have those they will be in a position to submit to the buyers solicitors Got to drop in our ID as i forgot to to do it the other day as got stuck at work ..must make sure i do that today !

    Once all that goes through got to instruct a surveyor and then game on !
    Originally posted by Littlebobo1981
    Crissie who did your searches? Ours was flagged as high potential risk of contaminated land but it isnít actually contaminated, rather there is an MOT testing centre near by with a permit for aerosol substances so they couldnít rule out contaminated...unless I paid them £200 to do so further digging with the local authority. Our seller provided his searches from 2010 and the local authority confirmed on his report that it isnít contaminated or on their register to potential contaminated land and that it hasnít had any historical contamination.

    Iíd ask your seller if they have their searches to find out what theirs came back as?
    Originally posted by Flutterbat17
    No idea how to reply to someone but here goes lol

    It's our current house that has come back as contaminated land. I don't think it came up when we bought the house but it was 11 years ago. Do they do searches during a re mortgage? As we re mortgaged 18 months ago. Our buyer seems happy with indemnity insurance which seems the quickest & cheapest way of dealing with it ( I hope)
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 29th Nov 17, 5:06 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Not sure - but she is going to send the searches to me shortly.

    The house is on a hill which is on another hill - if it floods we have bigger things to worry about. I also live around the corner so I know it doesn't flood. I mentioned it to the estate agent - who laughed as well.
    Originally posted by CommitedToChange
    HA HA HA HA ...some people just need something to say i think
    • Flutterbat17
    • By Flutterbat17 29th Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Flutterbat17
    Chrissie I can’t even do quotes to reply from my phone lol!

    I don’t think they do searches when you remortgage. I think the way they do searches has changed and they use a lot of national risk assessments now. Indemnity insurance covers the costs and lender anyway so as long as the buyers are happy it’s a non issue.. providing it’s not actually contaminated lol!

    I’m still stuck in limbo now waiting to hear back from our Solicitors. We’re expecting to hear back soon and for them to ask for the deposit money so we can exchange. I always get a bit nervous when we get radio silence that something new has cropped up! We seem to be jumping through lots of hoops at the minute.

    Our buyer is ready to exchange, our seller will move out and sell before his purchase is ready he said, so it’s really only us (Solicitors/lender) holding things up now!!

    Does anyone know what Solicitors faff with before exchange after you have sent and signed everything they need?? Lol!
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 29th Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Made a point of getting out first thing ( i work from home so lucky i can do that) and dropping ID off at the solicitors so hopefully that means we are all legal ..just had to pay out the broker fee and mortgage fee just the other day so feeling a bit skint ..who decides to move near xmas

    Going to start packing at the weekend ..figured we might as well, have soooooo much junk to clear out !
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 29th Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Tumbleweed today...and it's our wedding anniversary. We managed to exchange cards if not contracts, ha ha

    Got a sweet footnote from removals company "don't worry just tell the men on the day where to deliver to" lol

    In laws have agreed to take us in over Xmas and new year so that's something. At least I can now tick 'xmas food order' off the list.

    So we're stuck until Mr and Mrs "we aren't saying no but we aren't saying yes" continue to attempt to rein in their vendors and explore their other options. Ignoring solicitor's requests to resolve the chain

    <sigh>

    Some great progress from others today though, well done!!!
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 29th Nov 17, 8:00 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    dancing_star
    I'm in!!!

    Phone call at 11am from estate agent to say I could go & get keys. Swiftly followed by phone call from solicitor confirming exchange.

    So I am in, and I've started work on it. I'll not move in til the work's done, but most of the tradesmen know what they are doing and are cracking on with it.

    Good luck to all, I'm following the thread wishing for all hiccups and delays to magically disappear.
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 29th Nov 17, 9:58 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    catshark88
    Completed today (not moving in until some work done).

    Pain in the !!!!, totally inconsiderate vendors kept to form. Not out until 3pm, loads of stuff left in garage, bins left full and left a 6' gate locked so only able to get in as husband is agile.Oh and they blocked an A road for 3 DAYS loading their multiple vans (hoarders, it's not vast!).

    I just want to forget all about them (after venting on here!).

    Good luck with your transactions everyone!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,470Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter