Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,216Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 39
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 10th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 21,139 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Don't know about anyone else but I don't think I've ever been so attached to my mobile before!

Waiting for our vendor to sign, we're now expecting to exchange this week, still on track for completion Wed 25 Oct!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Upsy Staffordshire
    • By Upsy Staffordshire 10th Oct 17, 12:23 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Upsy Staffordshire
    No updates from me - still waiting to hear that searches have come back. They should be completed any day now.

Hazyjo - that's so bad that they're messing you around like that. You would think they could have arranged a survey quite some time ago!

Natbag - glad things are slowly moving forward, very annoying they forgot the references!

Cinders - hope you manage to exchange today as planned, or very soon.
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here
    • Upsy Staffordshire
    • By Upsy Staffordshire 10th Oct 17, 12:25 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Upsy Staffordshire
    Don't know about anyone else but I don't think I've ever been so attached to my mobile before!

Waiting for our vendor to sign, we're now expecting to exchange this week, still on track for completion Wed 25 Oct!
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    As every single email our solicitor sends goes straight to my junk mail for some unknown reason, I've never refreshed my junk folder so often

Great news! Hope it goes to plan!
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 10th Oct 17, 12:25 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    hazyjo - oh no, what a pain. Do you know why they have suddenly requested that? And are they having a home buyers survey or the full building survey? Hope it all goes well, and quick for you.
    MSEAndrea - tell me about it! That's so exciting. I didn't realise completion dates didn't have to be a Friday, I might push for a similar date. Hope all goes smoothly for you in this final countdown now, good luck!
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 10th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Thank you Upsy Staffordshire. Very relieved that their mortgage is being approved, as that would have been a massive issue otherwise. Just wish they'd get a shimmy on!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 9,839 Posts
    • 12,484 Thanks
    hazyjo
    hazyjo - oh no, what a pain. Do you know why they have suddenly requested that? And are they having a home buyers survey or the full building survey? Hope it all goes well, and quick for you.
    Originally posted by Natbag
    Something about their solicitor advising it, or their lender, I'm really not sure. Was too wound up to take it all in. Not sure if they're even labelling it - think it's just a general 'the house isn't falling down' sort of survey. No idea. I wonder if that means they're not wanting the electrical survey now. Hmm.

To top it all, emailed my vendor who said she's been led to believe we're all on for w/b 23 October

News to me! Nobody's mentioned dates and I've not signed the contract.

Dishwasher fitted 23 Oct, and survey 24th - so exchange or completion definitely ain't happening that week! I told her it'll prob be November. Maybe someone ought to tell my solicitor
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 10th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Cinders:

Cinders - hope you manage to exchange today as planned, or very soon.
    Originally posted by Upsy Staffordshire
    No exchange for us today, hopefully it will happen tomorrow. Thank you for thinking of us though, hope you hear back from your searches soon.
    SPC # 115
    • shell88
    • By shell88 10th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    shell88
    We finally exchanged today!! It's been such an unnecessarily long process, but now so relieved! Due to complete on 30th

Timeline below..

29/04 - house viewed, told no chain and we are FTB
    03/05 - offer accepted!
    05/05 - mortgage app put in
    17/05 - mortgage accepted!
    08/06 - draft contract and title info etc received and initial enquiries raised
    16/06 - our searches back in, ready to exchange
    08/07 - after weeks of no response from vendors solicitor, we are now told they are actually purchasing somewhere
    09/07 - enquiries finally answered
    31/08 - the vendor are extending the lease on the flat they are purchasing but have no idea how long this can take
    28/09 - we threaten to pull out of sale after no progress
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 10th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Congrats shell88 - I can see it has been a long road, glad you got there in the end!
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 10th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    To top it all, emailed my vendor who said she's been led to believe we're all on for w/b 23 October

News to me! Nobody's mentioned dates and I've not signed the contract.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    I do wonder if solicitors just give us dates to appease us for a while
    We've had a few mentioned along the way, but this week I got the impression, nobody has mentioned these dates to our vendor, I'm taking the latest "working towards completion on 3rd November" with a pinch of salt
    • Jb_1982
    • By Jb_1982 10th Oct 17, 8:49 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Jb_1982
    An update from me:

Exchanging contracts in the next few days, completion next Friday 20th. It's been a long process, ongoing since May and we are finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel. The whole process has made me realise what a stressful process it is. To all those just starting off on this journey whether FTB or otherwise. Just take each day as it comes, there is not a great deal you,can do to speed things up. Just be patient and expect ups and downs, the downs mainly cost you money, or a lot of time and effort, but eventually it's all worthwhile. I don't expect to be moving again anytime soon, the house we are moving to is our family home for a long period of time all being well.

I shall return here one last time in 10 days... hopefully with some keys!!
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 10th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Good luck Jb_1982, hope all goes smoothly.
    • westv
    • By westv 11th Oct 17, 12:10 AM
    • 4,372 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    westv
    6 weeks in and all we have so far is that our buyer's solicitor has raised queries and that the TR1 form has been signed by us. No news on how our buyers are getting on with their sale.
    Originally posted by westv
    Email from EA today. They have spoken to my buyer who told them she will be going to her solicitor on Wednesday "to go through paperwork".
    Originally posted by westv
    I've been pondering this and I'm thinking a solicitor wouldn't ask a client in just to have a chat about documents. You would have thought there would be some signing going on. I guess I'll find out in due course!
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 11th Oct 17, 7:17 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    I think you're right, our solicitor invited us in to 'go through paperwork' and sign everything. We couldn't get out of work in office hours so she posted it all. There was so much to read and understand, I can see now why she recommended going through it all in her presence!
    • nikongirl
    • By nikongirl 11th Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    nikongirl
    Yesterday I signed the contract, TR1 and all that stuff... and then had to leave work early because I couldn't stop crying. It turns out buying a house has triggered all sorts of emotional/self-esteem issues I wasn't expecting.

Still, hopefully I'm getting closer to actually getting the keys.
    • westv
    • By westv 11th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 4,372 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    westv
    I think you're right, our solicitor invited us in to 'go through paperwork' and sign everything. We couldn't get out of work in office hours so she posted it all. There was so much to read and understand, I can see now why she recommended going through it all in her presence!
    Originally posted by Pumpkim
    Yes, our buyer has now signed all the docs and we have a provisional completion date.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 11th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Sigh. Five weeks in and our buyer STILL hasn't got her wage reference from work - apparently this is a common issue within the NHS? It was supposed to be issued last Friday, then this Tuesday, now they are saying this Friday. So without their formal mortgage offer stamped still, we can't proceed to exchange.
    Starting to look unlikely that we'll even be moving this month at this rate. So much for using half term to move then.
    • Jaglad111
    • By Jaglad111 11th Oct 17, 4:06 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Jaglad111
    5 weeks and 2 days in - Solicitor contacts us to say waiting on one oustanding query over the garage conversion then ready to start talking dates.

20 minutes later EA's apprentice calls to say chain looking like collapsing as top of the 3 house chain getting inpatient, and that i should get solicitor to retract query as vendor has no planning permission or regs certificate. He said the council have said its fine so just take an indemnity policy.

EA's apprentice was a bit shocked when I told him I'm not arsed if it collapses and I dont take legal advice from the office b***h. Houses come and go and everything is moving smoothly.

The top of the chain has already moved into their new build so the chances of them pulling out is zero. Our vendor is happy to move into her mums and we are happy to move asap. But only once things are done correctly.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 11th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Well done for holding your own there Jaglad111. Sounds like they are trying to avoid the issue.

I despair. Our solicitor asked about 22 queries from our sellers about 4 weeks ago (as on their forms they pretty much put 'don't know' or 'sold as seen' to most questions) but delayed chasing them for the replies until our buyers had caught up. Just had an email to say they never received them. FFS. And meanwhile our buyers still haven't been able to provide the evidence required for their formal mortgage offer to be released. Aaaaarrrggghhh. Definitely not exchanging anytime soon then.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 11th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    Surrey_EA

20 minutes later EA's apprentice calls to say chain looking like collapsing as top of the 3 house chain getting inpatient, and that i should get solicitor to retract query as vendor has no planning permission or regs certificate. He said the council have said its fine so just take an indemnity policy.

EA's apprentice was a bit shocked when I told him I'm not arsed if it collapses and I dont take legal advice from the office b***h. Houses come and go and everything is moving smoothly.
    Originally posted by Jaglad111
    He's also talking nonsense. If the council are aware, then it's almost certainly impossible to obtain an indemnity policy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,013Posts Today

7,394Users online

Martin's Twitter