Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,216Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 35
    • vixki
    • By vixki 4th Oct 17, 9:22 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    vixki
    OMG! That's even worse than my story.

Vendors conveyancers haven't answered queries (or even the phone) since 5 September and my solicitor and I are going nuts. Hang on, it's not PM in Sheffield is it? I have no qualms about naming & shaming them.

Chain free too and the EA assures me the vendor is 'keen to sell'

Hope for positive news for you.
    Originally posted by dancing_star
    No, but I am in Derby so not very far away! Our solicitor has told us that they have heard once from the vendors solicitors, who after much chasing said they "forgot" about the enquiries!! Er?! If my solicitor forgot for months I'd be sacking him! That was over a week ago and still nothing though so I'm not sure.

It's a new build but a one off, not on an estate. If the problem is just that the vendor has hired rubbish solicitors, I wouldn't mind if they just told us that and hired different, better ones. Then at least we'd know things were progressing. As it is, we're in the same position now we were a month ago, what's to say we won't be this time next month? The month after?
    • SeduLOUs
    • By SeduLOUs 4th Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    SeduLOUs
    Just wanted a bit of a rant. My contract paperwork was ready to sign about two months ago but I've been waiting ever since as the property was tenanted and the seller didn't 'remember' to give them notice until all of my searches etc were complete.

They moved out on Saturday, I viewed the property again as they were leaving and popped off my email to the solicitor to say I'm happy to exchange and get on with the informally agreed moving date of Friday.

Lo and behold, my seller has gone on holiday and hasn't signed his paperwork. He isn't back until 15th October.

Furious!
    • vixki
    • By vixki 4th Oct 17, 10:27 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    vixki
    Oh, we've finally heard back from the EA. She doesn't work Friday or Monday apparently and nobody else covers her stuff, so any correspondence from those days apparently disappears into the ether.

And according to her, the vendors solicitors never received the enquiries in the first place - which isn't what our solicitor said (they said they received them but just didn't respond). Feel like we're going round in circles.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 4th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 4,860 Posts
    • 9,798 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Im joining, solicitor has our 10% deposit and we're aiming for completion on... Friday 13th!
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 4th Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 779 Posts
    • 3,307 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    Congratulations to those who have exchanged, good luck for the moves.

My seller apparently wants to complete on the 23rd, my buyer apparently has a date in mind to complete but isn't sharing it with us but their buyer who is bottom isn't ready to exchange yet so i'm not counting any chickens yet.
    Also I've just had my final reports through & paperwork to sign, the seller has now decided to remove the oven (range), not something I was expecting to need to buy as when I viewed again after the chain was linked up they said they were leaving it as all their stuff is going into storage & don't have a house to go to & I only had to query something about it as the fixtures and fittings form was as clear as mud relating to it & now this at the last minute I will mostly be hunting on gumtree me thinks but I need the connection details and dimensions, not sure whether to go through the solicitor, estate agent or try to get them direct?
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd: £114800
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 4th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    Congratulations to those who have exchanged, good luck for the moves.

My seller apparently wants to complete on the 23rd, my buyer apparently has a date in mind to complete but isn't sharing it with us but their buyer who is bottom isn't ready to exchange yet so i'm not counting any chickens yet.
    Also I've just had my final reports through & paperwork to sign, the seller has now decided to remove the oven (range), not something I was expecting to need to buy as when I viewed again after the chain was linked up they said they were leaving it as all their stuff is going into storage & don't have a house to go to & I only had to query something about it as the fixtures and fittings form was as clear as mud relating to it & now this at the last minute I will mostly be hunting on gumtree me thinks but I need the connection details and dimensions, not sure whether to go through the solicitor, estate agent or try to get them direct?
    Originally posted by trix-a-belle
    I would ask for money off the house if you knew it was included when you offered. If you didn't then you obviously cant. Go through the EA for the cooker dimensions, solicitor will not want to deal with this. My solicitor told me the other day that on another sale she did the buyers asked her to find out what the broadband speed was. That was just a ridiculous query she should not be dealing with!
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 4th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Congrats HGW2012! How exciting!
    Hope everyone else gets some joy on this long and frustrating wait soon.
    I'm a bit giddy today, I finally got an answer from my solicitor on potential dates. He said he's going to chase our vendor for their replies to our enquiries and provided these come back satisfactory and our buyers are ready then we could complete in about 2 weeks! Eeeeeek! So I'm hoping for around October 20th or 27th, fingers crossed! Either would be great as that second week is half term so my husband will also be off work to either pack up at one side or unpack and settle in at the other.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 4th Oct 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Updated timeline:
    * 27/7 - current property listed for sale
    * 29/7 - offer accepted from buyers for current property, our offer accepted from vendor on new property
    * 3/8 - mortgage application received
    * 6/8 - solicitors instructed and forms received
    * 15/8 - valuation survey carried out on purchase property
    * 18/8 - valuation survey carried out on current property
    * 21/8 - our mortgage offer confirmed
    * 26/8 - survey on current property returned, property under-valued (Countrywide strikes again!)
    * 1/9 - negotiations fail, buyers pull out, current property relisted for sale
    * 14/9 - current property under reduced offer with new buyers
    * 15/9 - vendor's contract documents received from solicitors and enquiries raised
    * 16/9 - buyers' offer formalised, our mortgage offer readjusted
    * 19/9 - buyers' survey/valuation booked
    * 21/9 - updated mortgage offer received
    * 22/9 - contract received for sale
    * 23/9 - mortgage deed signed and witnessed
    * 25/9 - valuation & home buyers report survey carried out on existing property
    * 28/9 - valuation & home buyers report on existing property returned, all ok!
    * 29/9 - enquiries received from buyers' solicitor
    * 3/10 - all enquiries from buyers answered and supporting documents provided
    * 4/10 - vendors' replies to enquiries chased, potential completion date of 20/10 mentioned
    * 5/10 - buyers' electrician booked to test the electrics on current property
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 4th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 3,307 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    I would ask for money off the house if you knew it was included when you offered. If you didn't then you obviously cant. Go through the EA for the cooker dimensions, solicitor will not want to deal with this. My solicitor told me the other day that on another sale she did the buyers asked her to find out what the broadband speed was. That was just a ridiculous query she should not be dealing with!
    Originally posted by purpleparrotuk
    Thanks am mulling it over
    It was detailed in the estate agents details but not specifically stated as included/excluded, when I viewed the vendor said they were leaving it, then the fixtures & fittings form turned up detailing an oven/grill inc, hob inc & cooker excl which didn't make sense for the 1 unit (hob & grill integral) that it is so clarified & got presented with this.
    I've heard from some that if something is detailed on the listing it is included, will be discussing with the agent when he calls back about going to get the dimensions & details.

Looking like it is hopefully on for the 23rd assuming the investor at the bottom completes their lender paperwork (slightly concerned that it suggests they may not have a full mortgage offer yet)
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd: £114800
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • Jaglad111
    • By Jaglad111 4th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Jaglad111
    Into week 5, solicitors ring the wife for a payment for mine searches after all other searches back. Wouldn't be arsed but they already knew a mining search was required, incompetent !!!!!!!s, already in the initial quote, I'm seriously going to drive to Carlisle and rip these cowboys a new one.

On a more positive note its cold and its raining.
    • Fiesto88
    • By Fiesto88 4th Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Fiesto88
    Paperwork all signed, but two enquiries still haven’t been addressed satisfactorily. Both are relatively simple documents, so if they can be provided quickly (chasers from solicitor and ourselves to the EA sent today) we could theoretically be ready to exchange/complete by the end of next week. Not holding my breath though as I have a feeling the required paperwork doesn’t exist and will need to be retrospectively obtained.

If it does all come together for Friday 13th, it’ll have been 10 weeks exactly since offer accepted.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 4th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Paid my deposit today (was a little nerve racking!)
    Exchanging tomorrow and completion Friday.

It's been the slowest 12 weeks of my life, and all my excitement has long gone! Hope it comes back when i'm in the house Friday.

Good luck everyone else.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 5th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 8,809 Posts
    • 21,104 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    I'm joining. Signed contracts yesterday, waiting to exchange! It was at this point in our last sale that it collapsed, though - our buyers' buyers pulled out. This time around we have first time buyers so fingers crossed!

Good luck to everyone else waiting to exchange
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    Just in case anybody remembers our story (23 weeks from offer acceptance to completion on a probate property), the snake in the compost bin had slithered off by the time we took possession.

House has been a money pit so far, but we're getting there with getting it ready to rent out. Pity we're not moving in ourselves just yet.
    • toc25
    • By toc25 5th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Snake???????
    I must have missed that one
    • Jb_1982
    • By Jb_1982 5th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Jb_1982
    This weeks update so far, signed sale contract today, signed purchasing contract last week. Buyers of my property are meeting their solicitor tomorrow to sign things. I assume it won't be long now!!
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 5th Oct 17, 10:27 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Had our buyers' electrician round today who spent 3 hours scouring the place and has reported back that he recommends we have a new fuse box. Sigh. The house is only 18 years old, we've maintained it properly and there's nothing wrong with the fuse box, we've never had any electrical issues of any kind. Waiting for the buyers' response now, but not keen on the likelihood of them just shrugging it off. Sigh.
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 6th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    HGW2012
    Completion day today!!!!
    • mrs M
    • By mrs M 6th Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mrs M
    Well, our move before end of september didnt happen, although the new house is all ready to move into... Turns out our buyer hasn't even signed the contract yet! ~His solicitors are horrendous! Our developer offered to send a courier for the paperwork to be transported and signed, and offered our buyer £500 to move on 29th.... but it appears his solicitor didn't even tell him (and she forbade the EAs to let him know about the incentive too!!)

BUT on the plus side, buyer has an appointment to sign today and our solicitor is aiming to get the contracts exchanged today to (Monday at a push) so that we can move next Thursday!
    • Flowerpowerlife
    • By Flowerpowerlife 6th Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    Flowerpowerlife
    Just starting week six.......what a horrible waiting process this is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,773Posts Today

6,981Users online

Martin's Twitter