Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,216Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • #1
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

    A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!




    My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

    Sarah

    Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

    Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

    50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 34
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 3rd Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    All seems a bit static on our sale and purchase. I've been asking my solicitor to start talking exchange and completion dates as 3 weeks in (this time round) and a lot of the work is done now, and the chain is literally just the 3 of us, but he keeps ignoring the question.
    I'm also waiting for our buyers to send their electrician friend round because they wanted to 'check the electrics', but he can't fit us in for a week. The house is only 17 years old and we haven't changed/touched anything electrical so to me it seems a pretty pointless reason for causing a delay.
    The days certainly are dragging!
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 3rd Oct 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    All seems a bit static on our sale and purchase. I've been asking my solicitor to start talking exchange and completion dates as 3 weeks in (this time round) and a lot of the work is done now, and the chain is literally just the 3 of us, but he keeps ignoring the question.
    Originally posted by Natbag
    Probably because if you're only 3 weeks in there could well be a fair bit to do yet.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 3rd Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Probably because if you're only 3 weeks in there could well be a fair bit to do yet.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    I don't believe there to be too much, these are our second buyers so most of the work was already completed - they have also ticked off most of their boxes really quickly. I'm not expecting to be ready to exchange just yet, but an idea of timeline would be useful
    • howisthisriskfree
    • By howisthisriskfree 3rd Oct 17, 1:30 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    howisthisriskfree
    Where are you buying Natbag? Your timeline almost mirrors mine except I'm on the other side...
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 3rd Oct 17, 1:56 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    We pulled out of our purchase - The more time went on I realised I liked the house but it wasn't in the right area. Our solicitors were brilliant though with the whole thing.
    • kates08
    • By kates08 3rd Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    kates08
    Tentatively joining this thread, we received an offer last Monday after 2 months on the market, had our offer accpeted on the house we've had our eye on for months on Saturday and our vendor had their offer accepted on their property on Monday so we're officially in a complete chain!

    Can I just ask how many people have had their own survey as well as the bank's valuation? We're buying a 1930's house so I don't know if we should have one just in case.

    Our seller's EA was talking about us being in by Christmas yesterday, which I think is a bit too ambitious.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 3rd Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    I don't believe there to be too much, these are our second buyers so most of the work was already completed - they have also ticked off most of their boxes really quickly. I'm not expecting to be ready to exchange just yet, but an idea of timeline would be useful
    Originally posted by Natbag
    It is notoriously difficult to predict timeline for a house sale/purchase, and solicitors are particularly reluctant to give an expected timeline, as they know that any timetable can change.

    Even if you've had a previously aborted sale it will still take several weeks for the new buyer to get up to speed.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 3rd Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Tentatively joining this thread, we received an offer last Monday after 2 months on the market, had our offer accpeted on the house we've had our eye on for months on Saturday and our vendor had their offer accepted on their property on Monday so we're officially in a complete chain!

    Can I just ask how many people have had their own survey as well as the bank's valuation? We're buying a 1930's house so I don't know if we should have one just in case.

    Our seller's EA was talking about us being in by Christmas yesterday, which I think is a bit too ambitious.
    Originally posted by kates08
    Congratulations!

    I would say that most people buying a 1930s house will have a survey, in addition to the bank's valuation.

    There's about 11 weeks realistically left to get a transaction through this year to completion. A bit on the ambitious side, but doable as long as everything goes smoothly. If nobody is desperate to move in this side of the new year there doesn't seem a lot of point rushing things, and getting everyone worked up. Aim for exchange pre-Christmas, and completion in January.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 3rd Oct 17, 4:15 PM
    • 9,830 Posts
    • 12,480 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Had my survey back - a few horrors but nothing major or enough for me to panic over. Can repair/replace things in time. Not going to drop the price (unless my solicitor advises otherwise).

    My buyer isn't getting a survey (yay!) so that's one worry lifted. Not that there's anything obviously wrong with it, but you know what it's like!

    Gawd, what next? I really have lost track now lol. Survey mentions things for my solicitor to check out so I hope that's not going to take forever.

    Trying to chill as on holiday soon so definitely not chasing or pushing for dates until much later.

    Think I'll email my vendor today to put her mind at rest as nobody's really been in touch with each other for weeks now. Absolutely no idea how the rest of the chain's getting on.

    Good luck all - well done to those very close to or at exchange!

    Jx
    Last edited by hazyjo; 03-10-2017 at 4:20 PM.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 3rd Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Where are you buying Natbag? Your timeline almost mirrors mine except I'm on the other side...
    Originally posted by howisthisriskfree
    Leeds, only about half a mile from where we live now. We're in a chain of only 3, first time buyers are buying our house, us and the house we are buying is vacant.

    Slight update, our buyers' electrician is hoping to come out Thursday so slight improvement on next week. Still no word of any progress updates or even estimated timescales from anyone, sigh.
    • hopeful81
    • By hopeful81 3rd Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    hopeful81
    We sold our house 3 weeks ago after agreeing 10 weeks before so fairly smooth. We have been staying with family for the past 3 weeks with all of our things in storage. Not ideal with 3 kids and the dog but needs must. Our purchase has exchanged today and we are due to complete on the 23rd October so 2 weeks and 6 days! Can you tell I'm counting down ha!! Buying from family which hasn't been the most stress free at times in fact it has put me off for life!! Well at least until I have to downsize when the kids are older. Anyways hope everyone gets their exchange and complete soon and wishing you all as stress free as possible or at least an endless supple of wine ;-)
    • hashtagyolo
    • By hashtagyolo 3rd Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    hashtagyolo
    Just an update on my home, completed Friday, hectic weekend and a few thousand pound lighter... Finally settled in and back to family life.

    Wish everyone else the best of luck in there moves!
    • toc25
    • By toc25 3rd Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Congratulations and enjoy your new home!
    • howisthisriskfree
    • By howisthisriskfree 3rd Oct 17, 7:51 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    howisthisriskfree
    Leeds, only about half a mile from where we live now. We're in a chain of only 3, first time buyers are buying our house, us and the house we are buying is vacant.

    Slight update, our buyers' electrician is hoping to come out Thursday so slight improvement on next week. Still no word of any progress updates or even estimated timescales from anyone, sigh.
    Originally posted by Natbag
    Ah OK, I'm not your vendor then!

    Got the same situation as you, sold my house (vacant now) to buyers whose FTB also pulled out last month but arranged another sale. That was the middle of last month, not heard anything since despite the estate agents being fairly positive there would not be too many delays because the new buyers could simply buy the old buyers searches.

    Will be interesting to see who out of us can complete first!
    • vixki
    • By vixki 3rd Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    vixki
    My sellers solicitor still hasn't answered enquiries sent on the 10th August! We originally hoped to exchange by September 13th (our tenancy renewal date, we're on a rolling contract). Then, we wanted to aim for October 13th...which is next Wednesday. And nothing has progressed at all in the last month. If we can't exchange by next week, we'll have to stay where we are until at least mid December and I do not want that. It's a chain free place, I don't know why it's taking so long.

    I don't know at what point we think of pulling out. Apparently the seller is "really eager to sell" but we have zero evidence of that, we're wasting money on renting our current expensive place the nothing seems to be happening.
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 3rd Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    dancing_star
    My sellers solicitor still hasn't answered enquiries sent on the 10th August! We originally hoped to exchange by September 13th (our tenancy renewal date, we're on a rolling contract). Then, we wanted to aim for October 13th...which is next Wednesday. And nothing has progressed at all in the last month. If we can't exchange by next week, we'll have to stay where we are until at least mid December and I do not want that. It's a chain free place, I don't know why it's taking so long.

    I don't know at what point we think of pulling out. Apparently the seller is "really eager to sell" but we have zero evidence of that, we're wasting money on renting our current expensive place the nothing seems to be happening.
    Originally posted by vixki
    OMG! That's even worse than my story.

    Vendors conveyancers haven't answered queries (or even the phone) since 5 September and my solicitor and I are going nuts. Hang on, it's not PM in Sheffield is it? I have no qualms about naming & shaming them.

    Chain free too and the EA assures me the vendor is 'keen to sell'

    Hope for positive news for you.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 3rd Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Ah OK, I'm not your vendor then!

    Got the same situation as you, sold my house (vacant now) to buyers whose FTB also pulled out last month but arranged another sale. That was the middle of last month, not heard anything since despite the estate agents being fairly positive there would not be too many delays because the new buyers could simply buy the old buyers searches.

    Will be interesting to see who out of us can complete first!
    Originally posted by howisthisriskfree
    Oh yeah, very similar story. Hopefully it won't be long for either of us now, fingers crossed!
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 4th Oct 17, 9:05 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    HGW2012
    We've exchanged!!!

    Completion Friday
    • henrypootle
    • By henrypootle 4th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    henrypootle
    Email received from the Solicitors today to say paperwork received from sellers solicitor, searches have been requested and the official 28 day deadline is 3rd October.
    Haven't heard anything recently from Financial advisor so presume everything is okay with that.


    Just shows how quick these things can be done!


    Feeling a little more excited but in a nervous way. Every day that passes is another day that another offer hasn't been made!
    Going to see the property on Saturday and going to start planning what to do with it.
    Originally posted by henrypootle





    Update - we're off to the Solicitor to sign today with a view to complete on Friday. Its will have taken just under 5 weeks from offer being accepted to getting keys - just shows how quick it can be done! Of course we did have to pay the solicitor more money for doing it quick!
    Henry Pootle (aka Piglet)


    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 4th Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    HGW2012
    Our time line

    31/7 DIP
    5/8 Offer accepted
    7/8 Solicitor appointed (currently on hold until mortgage app through)
    9/8 Broker appointment, all documents given and mortgage chosen through Halifax
    18/8 1 pay slip requested from Halifax
    21/8 Valuation and Home Buyers Survey booked for 31st
    31/8 Valuation and Survey went ahead
    5/9 Mortgage approved for full amount
    6/9 Solicitors told to go go go!
    6/9 Survey uploaded
    25/9 Queries back
    27/9 H2B ISA closed
    2/10 H2B ISA bonus obtained by solicitor
    3/10 Exchanged!!
    6/10 Due to Complete

    9 weeks from offer accepted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,180Posts Today

6,749Users online

Martin's Twitter