Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,216Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • #1
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

    A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!




    My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

    Sarah

    Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

    Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

    50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 33
    • sHAYM4N
    • By sHAYM4N 29th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    sHAYM4N
    Waiting for exchange at the moment, our timeline is so drawnout couldn't draw it up if I tried but roughly..

    Oct 16 : Our apartment on the market
    Jan 17: Changed EA, when prior one seemed to be making little effort
    March 17: Offer accepted on sale of our apartment. (Asking price yay!)
    March 17: Offer finally accepted on the house we wanted (Yay!)
    April 17: Holiday proposed to my girlfriend of 7 years, glorious days ahead!
    May 17: Return from our holiday and our buyer pulls out on the day of exchange after reading the lease that no pets were allowed in the apartment (seriously?!)
    May 17: Both our apartment and the property we wanted to buy back on the market
    May 17: Original buyer comes back with another offer £10,000 less than originally, so she can buy a caravan to look after a dog on the weekends. So we buy a caravan for her dog? No thanks!
    July 17: Offer accepted again for a sale (had to drop £5,000 after a quicksale on the one upstairs drove values down, but still a yay!)
    July 17: Negotiated £5,000 down on the property we had originally wanted yay!
    Aug 17: Surveys done, our slow solicitors drawing things out. 30 mile trip to solicitors to provide ID's
    Oct 17: Searches underway, delayed due to solicitors miscommunication about paying the fee. (Was told that searches wouldn't be delayed if we paid later that month) They were!
    Sept 17: Searches finally completed after 4 weeks
    Sept 17: More mistakes on the contracts sent out from our solicitors (fiance had my surname, and they had listed the owner of the property as the proposed buyer who pulled out, genius!) Another 30 mile trip to correct and sign.
    Sept 17: Negotiations over delayed completion date due to vendors not being able to move out. Exchange will still go ahead any time, completion due 3rd November
    Sept 17: Proposed buyer who pulled out last minute, moves into the apartment upstairs (yes the one on the quicksale).

    To cut short, longest year of my life, and this will be the longest 5 weeks of that longest year! Onwards and upwards.
    Last edited by sHAYM4N; 29-09-2017 at 6:13 PM.
    • toc25
    • By toc25 29th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Wow that is one hell of long journey and I have been moaning about mine which hasn't even been half of that amount of time. Good luck and hope that it will be worth the wait for you!
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 29th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 3,307 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    Would my heel dragging chain be upset if I took a last minute holiday, that i've been putting off having until I was moved but not sure I want to put off anymore as i'm going nuts waiting for them to get with the program?
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd: £114800
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 29th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Rang solicitors & estate agents today. Everyone aware that completion is next week. Apparently the vendor dropped the keys into estate agents today so all ready. eeeeeeeek.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 30th Sep 17, 12:41 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    sHAYM4N - wow, what a year! We've had a similar journey but much more compact timewise. Hope you're in your new place soon.
    pollyannaL - ahhhh that's so exciting! Time to get packing!

    We got our buyers' enquiries today, so confirmed a couple of things and provided some documents including for the boiler fitting. Apparently our covenant states satellite dishes weren't allowed and there was one on the side of the house when we bought it that's still there, so had to declare that. How daft. Just need my step-brother to provide paperwork for the heating service to pass on (he's a heating & plumbing engineer), but I'm not sure he understands the urgency!

    Updated timeline:
    * 27/7 - current property listed for sale
    * 29/7 - offer accepted from buyers for current property, our offer accepted from vendor on new property
    * 3/8 - mortgage application received
    * 6/8 - solicitors instructed and forms received
    * 15/8 - valuation survey carried out on purchase property
    * 18/8 - valuation survey carried out on current property
    * 21/8 - our mortgage offer confirmed
    * 26/8 - survey on current property returned, property under-valued (Countrywide strikes again!)
    * 1/9 - negotiations fail, buyers pull out, current property relisted for sale
    * 14/9 - current property under reduced offer with new buyers
    * 15/9 - vendor's contract documents received from solicitors and enquiries raised
    * 16/9 - buyers' offer formalised, our mortgage offer readjusted
    * 19/9 - buyers' survey/valuation booked
    * 21/9 - updated mortgage offer received
    * 22/9 - contract received for sale
    * 23/9 - mortgage deed signed and witnessed
    * 25/9 - valuation & home buyers report survey carried out on existing property
    * 28/9 - valuation & home buyers report on existing property returned, all ok!
    * 29/9 - enquiries received from buyers' solicitor
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 30th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    So one of the solicitors assistants finally called me back yesterday. All that is holding things up is the local search on the property I am buying. Itís been around 4 weeks now since it was applied for. Whatís the hold up with it I wonder. Unless it was applied for later than I thought.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 30th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    It was like Christmas this morning, not one eagerly awaited envelope from the solicitor but three!

    There was the contracts for sale and purchase sent separately and a letter with further enquiries from the buyer. Additional enquiries are asking for the boiler service report, which I've already told them I don't have, just an invoice for the work and an emissions test result (clear). I've contacted the engineer today to see if there is anything else he can give me. The other query was about a business my nextdoor neighbour runs, and whether it causes any noise or pollution. He has his own business making wrought iron gates, but not from home, the address must just be his registered business address, so guessing that came up in the searches.

    A few surprises came up in our purchase paperwork that I really thought would've been raised with us earlier in the process, as depending what we decide to do about them could delay things quite a bit... as it is we're going to just go with accepting an indemnity policy.

    Final thing from today was that buyer has suggested completion of 4th November which is really disappointing as she originally suggested 13th Oct, I also think it's a typo though as that's a Saturday... Our vendor suggested w/c 23rd Oct and we suggested compromise of 20th. I'm going to go back and say the preference is still an October move but in the grand scheme of things we can be fairly flexible so I'm not going to kick up a stink just yet
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 30th Sep 17, 11:56 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Pumpkin - we seem to be at about the same stage, as we've had the same letters and even the same enquiries this week. No talk of dates yet, but that might be because our new buyers are slightly behind - catching up quickly though, we seem to be making more progress each day so hopefully soon!
    • Jb_1982
    • By Jb_1982 1st Oct 17, 12:01 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Jb_1982
    It was like Christmas this morning, not one eagerly awaited envelope from the solicitor but three!

    There was the contracts for sale and purchase sent separately and a letter with further enquiries from the buyer. Additional enquiries are asking for the boiler service report, which I've already told them I don't have, just an invoice for the work and an emissions test result (clear). I've contacted the engineer today to see if there is anything else he can give me. The other query was about a business my nextdoor neighbour runs, and whether it causes any noise or pollution. He has his own business making wrought iron gates, but not from home, the address must just be his registered business address, so guessing that came up in the searches.

    A few surprises came up in our purchase paperwork that I really thought would've been raised with us earlier in the process, as depending what we decide to do about them could delay things quite a bit... as it is we're going to just go with accepting an indemnity policy.

    Final thing from today was that buyer has suggested completion of 4th November which is really disappointing as she originally suggested 13th Oct, I also think it's a typo though as that's a Saturday... Our vendor suggested w/c 23rd Oct and we suggested compromise of 20th. I'm going to go back and say the preference is still an October move but in the grand scheme of things we can be fairly flexible so I'm not going to kick up a stink just yet
    Originally posted by Pumpkim
    I seem to be at a very similar point. It's been mentioned that we are aiming for wb 16/10. I had this paperwork through earlier this week.

    All seems quite positive on here today!

    Good Luck
    • toc25
    • By toc25 1st Oct 17, 11:21 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Good luck every one. Good to see things going well for most of you.

    We have a week and a half till completion and I am now really nervous. We haven't moved house for 12 years so I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. Most of our stuff is packed up now. We have made a start on dismantling furniture etc. I've redirected our post for a year. Sorted out virgin coming to reconnect us. Apart from that I don't know what else I need to do before I move.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 1st Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    OMG Disastrous day! Don't know whether to laugh or cry

    We thought we'd be productive and empty the loft, taking all the junk we've accumulated to the tip, it was all going so well until hubby put his foot through the ceiling!!! Then, I opened the landing window and the hinge snapped. FML!!

    Will have to get on to the respective tradesmen tomorrow to get it all sorted. They say it comes in threes, I daren't move
    • toc25
    • By toc25 1st Oct 17, 7:09 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Oh no nightmare! I'm so paranoid about anything breaking or getting damaged at the moment. Hope the 3rd thing doesn't happen.
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 1st Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Natbag
    Jb_1982 - that's not long at all, how exciting! Hopefully I won't be far behind you then.
    Pumpkin - nooooooooo, what a nightmare!!! Hope you get it sorted.
    • Car1980
    • By Car1980 2nd Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Car1980
    Put on the market 18 months ago, offer received in August. Supposed to exchange today - fingers crossed!!
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 2nd Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    HGW2012
    Congrats to everyone who exchanged or completed Friday!

    Hoping for news today, although it it wasn't Friday I can't see if being today after the solicitors have been closed all weekend.

    We have had word that the vendors are wanting to complete on Friday.
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 2nd Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    Local search is finally back, have booked this Friday to sign all the contracts/deeds. My buyers have just signed all theirs too. Just need to find out where the vendor stands now regards to signing and then arrange dates. Should be completing this month for definite then.

    Is it best to avoid half term week to move? I assume loads of people will aim for this and the removal companies will be fully booked.
    • RackAttack2.0
    • By RackAttack2.0 2nd Oct 17, 6:31 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    RackAttack2.0
    Congrats to everyone whos exchanged and completed this week.
    Back into limbo for myself.
    After discussing with my vendor and agreeing completion 12/13th october if we can get it all done in time, the enquiries have come back. The vendors don't have the building regs for the loft conversion that was put in before they bought 20years ago. As such, we now have to go back to the lender to check their valuation is still okay.
    Our solicitors sent the request to the lenders (HSBC) last week and are yet to hear back. Hope they dont have to send a valuer round again as it took them over 2 weeks last time
    Starting to dread any emails or phone calls i get...
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 2nd Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    All quiet my end, although meant to be completing Friday.
    No contact from solicitor about exchange...and lender needs 5 days to release funds. Can't see things happening this week.
    • Fiesto88
    • By Fiesto88 2nd Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Fiesto88
    Solicitor called today to confirm he now has everything from the vendor’s conveyancers and we’re booked in tomorrow to go through everything and sign.

    Things are finally happening!
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 3rd Oct 17, 8:58 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    HGW2012
    Funds released, H2B bonus released to solicitor, deposit sent over to solicitor.

    These days are dragging!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

320Posts Today

2,237Users online

Martin's Twitter