Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,213Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 23
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 15th Sep 17, 3:11 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 1,251 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    it is a leasehold maisonette with a 999-year lease.
    the offer has been accepted, mortgage offer has been sent to us and to our solicitor.
    and finally, the draft contract has been sent by the seller`s solicitor on 11th of September.

so what are the remaining steps? would you please add if anything missing below?

1 searches
    2 agreeing on the contract
    3 paying deposit
    4 exchange
    5 completion
    Originally posted by london.cidade
    There will almost certainly be a massive list of enquiries that your solicitor will want satisfactory answers to, following the results of the searches, and information contained withing the lease documents and property management info.

This could take several weeks for all queries to be answered to the satisfaction of your solicitor.

In fact, you'll be doing well to exchange before the end of October.
    Last edited by Surrey_EA; 15-09-2017 at 4:09 PM.
    • shell88
    • By shell88 15th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    shell88
    We're now nearly 20 weeks in and still no closer to exchanging! I'm so fed up with it all now. We've need ready since July but delays are caused by vendor, it's only us 2 in the chain so it shouldn't have taken this long. They are now extending the lease on the property they're buying, any ideas how long this can take? We're currently on holiday but I can't relax at all
    • RackAttack2.0
    • By RackAttack2.0 15th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RackAttack2.0
    Joining the thread after lurking for some time now. I feel like we're nearing the end of our process but who knows.
    Me and my fiance are first time buyers living with parents and the house we're purchasing is 'without chain' -the owner is moving house but has already signed for her new place and has a bridging loan until the sale completes.
    Here's our timeline so far:
    - 8/7 Viewed property and loved it
    -12/7 Offer accepted after going to best and final with one other bidder
    -18/7 Mortgage application completed (HSBC), property taken off the market and solicitors instructed
    -26/7 Solicitors required docs returned, Vendors sent draft contract and mortgage application approved
    ~Time being annoyed by surveyors who originally could do valuation on 9th but homebuyers survey not until 28th We decided to get this done separately, but it was still pushed back to 16/8 by vendor~
    -16/8 Valuation and homebuyers survey completed
    -17/8 Valuation accepted for mortgage amount
    -23/8 Homebuyers survey back, some issues highlighted that seemed major
    ~Time where we were looking into the issues brought up and deciding what to do~
    -30/8 Builder assessed roof and chimney (main issue in survey) and advised only minimal work was needed. Advised vendor and solicitors happy to go ahead still.
    -31/8 Search fees paid to solicitor
    -7/9 Returned mortgage questionnaire given by solicitors. Searches report received along with vendors fixtures and fittings forms etc
    -8/9 Enquiries sent
    -14/9 Solicitors confirmed enquiries answered today, waiting to be reviewed

Next steps: We're closing our Halfax help to buy ISAs tomorrow so will be giving the closing statements and forms in Monday. Hopefully the enquires have been answered satisfactorily so we can start the contract signings etc soon

We were hoping for a really quick straightforward process and apart from a few hiccups thats what we got. I'm normally very patient but I just want to get this all done with and have the keys in my hand! Hoping for exchange and completion in the next few weeks. Me and SO have the week off 15/10 and want to decorate and move in that week

Good luck to everyone waiting with us! (Sorry this post is so long xD)
    • toc25
    • By toc25 15th Sep 17, 5:26 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    toc25
    Shell88 we are the same 18 weeks in and all been ready to exchange for weeks and nothing is happening. I don't know why they won't just get it done. It's getting on my nerves.

No idea about extending a lease but I would imagine it would take a few weeks at least?
    • shell88
    • By shell88 15th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    shell88
    It's so frustrating isn't it! We've started looking elsewhere but there isn't any others we like out there, starting to get a little worried as our mortgage offer expires end November. We optimistically ordered sofas and a table but keep having to pushing the delivery out, hoping they'll let us move it again for the 5th time!

Good luck, hope things get moving soon!
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 15th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    I filled my fixtures and fittings for in weeks ago. Solicitor confirmed she has received the vendors one. About a week ago or more. When will she pass this on? Not sure what the hold up is.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 15th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    Well another week of total silence, hate not knowing how things are moving along! My solicitor has been really on the ball so far, I trust that if she had anything to tell me or contact me for she would be in touch straight away, so there's obviously nothing to say. Last week she updated that we were still waiting for answers to enquiries we made to vendor at the back end of August, so either their sols are being slow passing stuff on, or the vendors are being slow in answering! Still holding out for an October completion, that would be another 5 or 6 weeks, fingers crossed that's enough!
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 15th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    I filled my fixtures and fittings for in weeks ago. Solicitor confirmed she has received the vendors one. About a week ago or more. When will she pass this on? Not sure what the hold up is.
    Originally posted by purpleparrotuk
    My solicitor was in receipt of our vendors form before I'd 'officially' instructed her (waiting on mortgage decision), she posted it to me the day I gave her the go ahead to commence work. She said she had raised some queries from the pre-contract pack and I then raised a few more from the information form. Still waiting for the answers
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 15th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    My solicitor was in receipt of our vendors form before I'd 'officially' instructed her (waiting on mortgage decision), she posted it to me the day I gave her the go ahead to commence work. She said she had raised some queries from the pre-contract pack and I then raised a few more from the information form. Still waiting for the answers
    Originally posted by Pumpkim
    It would be nice to know what my sellers answers to the questions were in the form. Also would like to know what he is considering leaving in the house and what he might like to sell to me. Maybe I will ask my sol when i should receive it on Monday.

I understand most buyers should receive this quite early. I've been waiting a month so far. Especially since the searches have been happening for a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by purpleparrotuk; 15-09-2017 at 8:40 PM.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 15th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    It would be nice to know what my sellers answers to the questions were in the form. Also would like to know what he is considering leaving in the house and what he might like to sell to me. Maybe I will ask my sol when i should receive it on Monday.

I understand most buyers should receive this quite early. I've been waiting a month so far. Especially since the searches have been happening for a couple of weeks.
    Originally posted by purpleparrotuk
    A month is a long time, especially if it's with your solicitor, could understand if the seller was dragging their feet getting it back but I'd definitely chase it Monday if I were you.
    • Elohzedee
    • By Elohzedee 15th Sep 17, 11:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elohzedee
    First time buyer, checking in after lurking these forums for a while! Here's our timeline so far:

02/09 - Offer accepted (5k under asking price)
    05/09 - Full mortgage application went in with Principality Building Society (via a broker)
    12/09 - Mortgage offer received and solicitors appointed
    15/09 - ID checks and searches paid for with our solicitor

And now we wait! Everything has moved quickly so far, but we're trying not to get too hopeful about the next stage going as smoothly. We have two months notice to give on our rented house so trying to get the timing right.

Feeling a little stressed by not knowing my way around the full process, but a good mortgage broker is worth their weight in gold!
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 16th Sep 17, 1:51 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    Letter from our solicitor landed on the mat this morning

Buyer is ready to exchange and set the completion date, they've suggested completion of 13th October

It's actually unlikely we'll be able to make this date, as we're still waiting on enquiries for our onward purchase and there is a further chain above, but it still feels good to know the buyer is keen to get cracking! We've replied to say yes, happy with that date as long as our vendor can also agree to it and we're in a position that all the conveyancing work is complete on the purchase. I've also said that if it can't happen then, we would like to push the chain above for another date in October.

We're inching ever closer to that exchange
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 16th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    Received the pack for my purchase from my solicitor today. The one thing I had been chomping at the bit to get was missing. The letter said the fixtures and fittings was included and it wasn't. Oh well I've emailed them and asked them to email me a copy. They also posted a few queries from the buyers solicitor. I wonder why they didn't just email them to me. Would have been much quicker.
    Last edited by purpleparrotuk; 16-09-2017 at 5:04 PM.
    • lisssa
    • By lisssa 16th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    lisssa
    Hi quick history on my sale / purchase ....
    Offer accepted on my property - 9/6 - cash buyer
    Offer accepted on the house we are purchasing 19/6
    Our vendors are buying a probate property so in theory a relatively short straight forward chain .

Both my buyer and the female party of the couple that we are
    Buying from are absolutely lovely and we exchanged mobile numbers so have been able to keep in touch / chase up things when we get radio silence from the conveyancers .

Initially we were
    Hoping for an end August / early sept completion but due to delays with probate it had slipped by a couple of weeks . We also had a bit of a hiccup a couple of weeks again when my conveyancer requested an indemnity policy
    • lisssa
    • By lisssa 16th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    lisssa
    By lisssa
    Firstly history on my sale / purchase ....
    Offer accepted on my property - 9/6 - cash buyer
    Offer accepted on the house we are purchasing 19/6
    Our vendors are buying a probate property so in theory a relatively short straight forward chain .

Both my buyer and the female party of the couple that we are
    Buying from are absolutely lovely and we exchanged mobile numbers so have been able to keep in touch / chase up things when we get radio silence from the conveyancers .

Initially we were Hoping for an end August / early sept completion but due to delays with probate it had slipped by a couple of weeks . We also had a bit of a hiccup a couple of weeks ago when my conveyancer requested an indemnity policy because the house we were buying was found to still be on an unadopted road (it’s 10 years old) , the vendors went up the wall , initially refused to pay it and the husband stated he would rather lose the sale than pay for the policy . His wife and estate agent calmed him down and also to keep the peace and to keep things progressing we agreed to sort out the policy and pay half each so there was no delay from their conveyancer having to source the policy and then sending it to mine for approval .
    We were now on track to exchange this eeek and complete on 22nd - it needed to be before the 26th as my buyer is coming out of rented property and I also start a new job on 1/10 and can’t grt time off for a couple of Months once I start .
    All in agreement - there conveyancer thurs morn decided they wanted
    To do a final file check and didn’t get round to it until mid fri morning . In the meantime the bottom of the chain started the exchange ( as agreed by all parties and included the estate agent checking everyone was ready ).
    My buyers conveyancer and mine secured the release , but then when they contacted my vendors conveyancer it turns out they don’t have a copy of my buyers onward Purchase Mortgage offer and therefore they have not signed the
    Mortgage deed or TR1 form...
    All Friday afternoon the conveyancer would say is that they need a
    Copy of the offer from the mortgage advisor and won’t accept an email copy from their client.
    They were refusing to speak to anyone for the remainder of the afternoon .

We are sooo fed up - upshot
    Is it is unlikely to get sorted this week so it puts my sale at risk as well.and really messes my plans up of having time off before I start new role.
    As a result we are falling out of
    Love fast with this house fast and are really questioning if it just isn’t meant to be . We have kept quiet about other things along the way - we paid full asking price , but they seem to be stripping the house bare - all light fittings , curtain poles and fitted Venetian blinds - even tho the lady had admitted the blinds won’t fit their house , it’s just her husband being insistent they might find use for them. ( we understand they are totally entitled to take all this)

So today we went back on Rightmove and found 2 properties which we love the look of and are booked to view tomorrow.
    We have also found out about putting our belongings in storage and moving into my partners dads holiday home whilst we wait for a new sale to go through .
    I know we could still do this to protect our sale and wait for our current buyers to sort out their issues but it really grates that we will have to be inconvenienced and be out of pocket for what is their conveyancers mistake . I know we could ask them to cover our costs but they are not obligated to and I know the husband response anyway lol

Despite all this I still feel really guilty about potentially letting them down right at the last minute as the lady is so lovely , but we are just so fed up and are no longer looking forward to what should be such a happy event - especially when it’s the first house my partner and I will be buying together .

Are we cutting our noses to spite
    Our face / being totally unfair - I realise this is their conveyancers fault but we have just had enough -
    Plus we actually think we prefer the other houses on right move and one of them is 20k less than the house we are currently buying ( accepting we may not like either when we view them).

Sorry to waffle on but trying to get this all straight in my head and would appreciate
    Your honest views / comments.

TIA
    • Natbag
    • By Natbag 16th Sep 17, 10:45 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    Natbag
    Can I tentatively join in please? Here's my timeline:
    * 27/7 - current property listed for sale
    * 29/7 - offer accepted from buyers for current property, our offer accepted from vendor on new property
    * 3/8 - mortgage application received
    * 6/8 - solicitors instructed and forms received
    * 15/8 - survey carried out on new property
    * 18/8 - survey carried out on current property
    * 21/8 - mortgage offer confirmed
    * 26/8 - survey on current property returned, property under-valued (Countrywide strikes again!)
    * 1/9 - buyers pull out, current property relisted for sale
    * 14/9 - current property under reduced offer with new buyers
    * 15/9 - vendor's contract documents received from solicitors and enquiries raised
    * 16/9 - buyers' offer formalised, our mortgage readjusted
    Now waiting for a new buyers' survey to be arranged and carried out and for them to catch up a little bit. Very nervous about the next survey, really need that hurdle out of the way asap.
    • toc25
    • By toc25 17th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    toc25
    Lisssa -

Only you can decide what's right for you. You can't get emotionally involved though, you can't buy a house you aren't sure about just not to upset someone else in the chain.

Its a huge commitment buying a house and if you aren't sure now then you really need to think things through and make sure you are doing the right thing for you.

I would definitely go and view the other properties as soon as you can because it might be that you go in them and it makes you realise you do or don't want the other property. I saw the perfect home for us online and when I went to view it it was not what I had expected and I hated it.

We have had a really rough ride with our house purchase so far and have nearly backed out a couple of times. We came very close to viewing other properties too. In the end we realised that the house we are buying is still the one we want and it was worth waiting for.

Hope you figure out what's right for you soon.
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 17th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    Well the people selling to us got in touch yesterday to say the bungalow they are buying the last won't be moving out until completion - So they said it could be end of November when we move - We originally hoped end October at the latest so we emailed back reminding them of the advert (CHAIN FREE - NO ONWARD CHAIN) Hopefully they can push the solicitor, their seller of the bungalow this week to complete sooner - god knows what they are waiting for.

Is it too early to start boxing? Mortgage deed signed, waiting for enquiries from sellers solicitor and all search results back, checked by solicitor and they are okay
    • SnowDrop
    • By SnowDrop 18th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    SnowDrop
    Hello everyone. Posting my timeline (as a buyer) while trying to cope with stress!

28 July - offer accepted
    07 Aug - solicitor instructed
    09 Aug - paid for searches
    11 Aug - full mortgage application submitted
    15 Aug - valuation carried out
    18 Aug - mortgage offer issued
    22 Aug - local authority searches received

Waiting since then for an update. EA confirmed Seller on holiday end of August and have not returned any paperwork to their Solicitor. Back from vacation on 4th September but still no updates. My Solicitor has not heard anything. Was dreaming about mid-September completion, now hoping for mid-October. Reading MSE 24/7 to calm myself down!
    Last edited by SnowDrop; 18-09-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    • toc25
    • By toc25 18th Sep 17, 2:55 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    toc25
    We still haven't exchanged, we've all been ready for weeks but nothing is happening. We have an agreed completion date of the 12th of October but we daren't book any vans or make firm plans because we haven't exchanged.

Do people just book stuff in hope that the date won't change or do they wait till the last minute then book it?

Getting very fed up of the whole thing now, our lives have been on hold for months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,783Posts Today

6,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin