Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,215Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • #1
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

    A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!




    My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

    Sarah

    Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

    Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

    50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 22
    • RiversTam
    • By RiversTam 13th Sep 17, 7:34 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    RiversTam
    I've just had a letter from my solicitor -
    "....it appears everything is in order with the mortgage offer. I have also received the draft contract/title pack from the seller and have raised a number of enquiries. As soon as I receive a response I shall be able to let you have my complete report on title. After that we will be able to arrange a time for you to come in and sign the relevant paperwork in relation to your purchase"

    I've emailed for some clarity on the enquiries but does is this completely normal and going in the right direction?
    We are hoping to complete by the end of October - don't know if I'm mad ��
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 13th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    Woohoo - Mortgage deed signed and sent back to the solicitor yesterday.
    Drainage search came back today

    Hoping the sellers solicitor will respond to our enquiries by Friday
    Our solicitor will review our search results by Friday
    They should receive the mortgage deed signed by tomorrow

    Not sure there will be much left to do after that.

    Our sellers emailed to say they had contacted there solicitors yesterday to speed things up as they hadn't had a move in date yet (so much for being chain free - I thought the house they were moving to was empty but it seems not) They are now saying end of October we will be in but we were hoping before that as all our legal work should hopefully be done end of September
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 13th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    I've just had a letter from my solicitor -
    "....it appears everything is in order with the mortgage offer. I have also received the draft contract/title pack from the seller and have raised a number of enquiries. As soon as I receive a response I shall be able to let you have my complete report on title. After that we will be able to arrange a time for you to come in and sign the relevant paperwork in relation to your purchase"

    I've emailed for some clarity on the enquiries but does is this completely normal and going in the right direction?
    We are hoping to complete by the end of October - don't know if I'm mad ��
    Originally posted by RiversTam
    This is the stage where we are at the moment - I don't know what the enquiries were that the solicitor raised either but it seems standard they do this
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 13th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    When do you get to sign the mortgage deed?

    My mortgage offer said copy on the signing form and said do not send back.
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 13th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    When your bank sends the offer to conveyancer and they send it to you to sign the deed
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 13th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    The bank would have sent a copy to your solicitor and they use this information for the deed.
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 13th Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    The bank would have sent a copy to your solicitor and they use this information for the deed.
    Originally posted by Spendingqueen
    I have read on some sites that the deed isnt signed until between exchange and completion. My solicitor has had my offer for 2 weeks.

    "After exchange of contracts

    Between exchange of contracts and the completion date, your conveyancer will usually do the
    following:

    make searches at the Land Registry to make sure nothing new has come to light since the seller’s conveyancer got the original copy of the property registry entries – in Scotland, the seller's conveyancer will do this;
    contact your current lender (if any) and ask how much is still owing on your existing mortgage;
    ask you to sign a transfer document, the mortgage deed (Standard Security in Scotland) and any other documents we need you to sign;
    ask us to send the loan money ready for the conveyancer to send to the seller's conveyancer on the day of completion;
    ask you for any remaining money needed to buy the property."
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 13th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    Not sure then as we aren't at exchange or completion yet. Our sellers seller haven't moved out yet so we are waiting for that - I don't think they are ready at all to discuss dates but I guess you never know what can change in a few days.

    I am just glad we are getting documents and things seem to be progressing.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 13th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    When do you get to sign the mortgage deed?

    My mortgage offer said copy on the signing form and said do not send back.
    Originally posted by purpleparrotuk
    Mine said the same. I also think our solicitor sent a copy of the same and also said for info only, that they'd get us in to sign nearer exchange... I think so anyway.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 13th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 1,022 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    13 weeks in and buyers solicitor has bothered to look at the case file and raised requests of work despite buyer stating they were happy with the survey 8 weeks ago, along with 20 detailed questions. I half expect them to attempt to attempt a re-negotiation (they won't be successful if so).
    I actually can't do this anymore. I'm considering calling the whole thing off.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • westv
    • By westv 13th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 4,349 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    westv
    Well a month since my current buyer put in an offer and three weeks since it became proceedable after their place found a buyer. They booked a second viewing the day I accepted their offer - which had me worried!
    Spoke to the EA today and they said my buyer's sols has had the pre contract paperwork for a week. The EA says my buyer is "very keen to get things moving". Yeah, right! I'm sure we have all heard that before.
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 14th Sep 17, 2:33 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    HGW2012
    I am so impatient.

    Our solicitor isn't really telling us anything, we called for an update and they just said searches in hand nothing to update. Should we be pushing to find out what stage the searches are at?

    We are coming up to 6 weeks since offer accepted so not dragging on too much yet. I am wanting to tie in exchange with giving notice to our landlord. Not looking hopeful for end of this month.

    No chain either side so hoping this speeds things up!
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 14th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    I am so impatient.
    Originally posted by HGW2012
    As hard as it is, the process may seem less stressful if you become more patient. The average time for a transaction to go through is 12 weeks.
    Our solicitor isn't really telling us anything, we called for an update and they just said searches in hand nothing to update. Should we be pushing to find out what stage the searches are at?
    Originally posted by HGW2012
    The search results are either back with the solicitor, or they're not, no other info your solicitor can give you really. Depending on the local authority search results may take 1 week, or as long as 8 weeks (although that is unusual).
    We are coming up to 6 weeks since offer accepted so not dragging on too much yet. I am wanting to tie in exchange with giving notice to our landlord. Not looking hopeful for end of this month.

    No chain either side so hoping this speeds things up!
    Originally posted by HGW2012
    I'm afraid that assessment looks accurate. With only 2 weeks left in the month it's difficult to see you exchanging before the end of Sept, although not entirely impossible.
    • nikkih72
    • By nikkih72 14th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    nikkih72
    woo hoo, at last we exchanged last Friday, completion due end of October,
    Fingers crossed house is complete and ready then.

    Does anyone know what final checks before mortgage money released Natwest will do ? i know its credit searches, but anything else ?
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 14th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    dancing_star
    No news on my purchase, searches are er, being searched. Solicitor says the information provided by vendor's useless conveyancers is 'full of holes' but she will whip them into shape.

    However, she rang me to say that, after having asked ridiculous questions and messed about for a couple of weeks, my buyer's solicitor rang her today to ask if we can exchange AND complete tomorrow!

    Then the estate agent rang me to say the solicitors had phoned and the buyer himself had been into the office today to see if they could exert pressure to exchange and complete tomorrow.

    What on earth??

    I still have a couple of things in the storage unit and I can't get there til the weekend, plus I'm not sure a couple of maintenance issues have been fixed, so I've said it will have to be Monday at the earliest.

    Nothing will surprise me anymore.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 14th Sep 17, 8:04 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    after waiting nearly 3 weeks for *apparently* draingage search, and speaking with solicitor Tues and her saying 'we are still waiting', I decided to take things into my own hands.

    So i rang the Council land charge team....they tried to prevent me from getting through but i just said 'im entitled to find out the council's timeframes for searches!'. Anyway, got through to the team and he said their timeframes are 5-10days! what is this about. I was fuming and now feel like sending an awful email to solicitors but know it won't get me anywhere. Even more frustrated now. Trying to calm down and will do something tomorrow.

    Should I ring solicitors again??? Hmmmmmm....
    • eittolder
    • By eittolder 15th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    eittolder
    pollyannaL - i was in the same boat an actually got the council to confirm when the searches had been sent back and then was able to able pressure to my Solicitor.

    Exchange on mine on Monday and completion next Friday (22nd), 14 weeks from offer but took seller 3 and a half weeks to find so not bad really, although feels like has taken forever.
    • HGW2012
    • By HGW2012 15th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    HGW2012
    I'm afraid that assessment looks accurate. With only 2 weeks left in the month it's difficult to see you exchanging before the end of Sept, although not entirely impossible.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    Thanks, had a update from out solicitor today he is waiting to hear back from the EA today over a query and hopes to then have a idea on a exchange/completion date.

    Will call in a week for a further update.
    • UKTelecom
    • By UKTelecom 15th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    UKTelecom
    How far off getting an exchange date do you think I am?

    All searches have come back fine.

    And the seller's solicitors have now responded to the queries my solicitor sent them (basic stuff really: certificate for boiler, electrics etc). The guy I am buying from is a contractor who flips houses for a living, so I am hoping he knows in advance what docs to provide when selling a property.

    Assuming my solicitor is satisfied with what they have provided, do you think I will get an exchange date soon?

    Neither of us are part of a chain - the property I am buying is vacant.

    When do I actually hand over my deposit money to my solicitor?
    Last edited by UKTelecom; 15-09-2017 at 1:16 PM.
    • london.cidade
    • By london.cidade 15th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    london.cidade
    it is a leasehold maisonette with a 999-year lease.
    the offer has been accepted, mortgage offer has been sent to us and to our solicitor.
    and finally, the draft contract has been sent by the seller`s solicitor on 11th of September.

    so what are the remaining steps? would you please add if anything missing below?

    1 searches
    2 agreeing on the contract
    3 paying deposit
    4 exchange
    5 completion
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

5,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

  • OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

  • I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

  • Follow Martin