Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,213Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 21
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 11th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 7,656 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Solicitor phoned this morning to say our buyers are ready to exchange. It should hopefully happen this afternoon with completion 28th September. Fingers crossed
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 3 months to go.
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 11th Sep 17, 2:27 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    juniordoc
    We have our mortgage application submitted, instructed solicitors on 7/9 and paid then to start searches, and have our valuation booked for 14/9 for a chainfree leasehold flat. Any estimates on how long it usually takes to reach exchange from this point?
    We are first time buyers and feeling a bit out of the loop.
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 11th Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Returntosender
    Been waiting to exchange for weeks now - waiting for some information from the vendor and she's dragging her feet. Incredibly stressed right now.
    • insertusername
    • By insertusername 11th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    insertusername
    We seem to have been waiting ages for our exchange to go through, mortgage is in place and all of the searches etc have been done. Vendors solicitors have been quite slow and haven't been providing suitable responses to our solicitor.

As a side point we have had to have out a couple of indemnity policies for a couple of small issues, does anyone know if the lenders are likely to be OK with these?
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 11th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    Nothing has happened so far today - Still waiting on drainage searches we ordered 18th August!
    Mortgage offer received in post.
    Solicitor going through enquiries with sellers solicitor this week. Wonder how long it will take from completion to exchange?
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 11th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 1,251 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    We have our mortgage application submitted, instructed solicitors on 7/9 and paid then to start searches, and have our valuation booked for 14/9 for a chainfree leasehold flat. Any estimates on how long it usually takes to reach exchange from this point?
    We are first time buyers and feeling a bit out of the loop.
    Originally posted by juniordoc
    The usual answer is how long is a piece of string! There are many variables that can affect the length of time your particular purchase will take.

Do not be surprised if the process lasts 12 weeks, or maybe longer.

Have a read here:

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/news/stories/consumer-guide-to-buying-a-flat/
    Last edited by Surrey_EA; 11-09-2017 at 4:57 PM.
    • happytails
    • By happytails 11th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 9,213 Thanks
    happytails
    Just had a big old read through from about this time last month when my sale/purchase fell through.

Still waiting for a buyer, good news is the house we want is currently still on the market though not sure how long for as they are desperate for a sale now as they managed to keep their part of the chain up and top ones are getting impatient.

Hoping to be back here real soon, we have someone coming back tomorrow for a 2nd viewing so fingers crossed!
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
    • toc25
    • By toc25 11th Sep 17, 11:25 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    toc25
    Good luck Happytails must be incredibly frustrating. A 2nd viewing must be a positive thing though, I've not even had a 2nd viewing of the house I'm buying.

Hopefully you will be back on here soon
    • tt07
    • By tt07 12th Sep 17, 6:36 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    tt07
    I can join here now mortgage offer received electronically yesterday, now start the journey of the next bit to exchange then on to a completion.

Next step contracts to be sorted as all searches outside are done.
    • bighitter4654
    • By bighitter4654 12th Sep 17, 7:29 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bighitter4654
    We pulled out of our purchase about 6 weeks ago. It was a new build and we just felt really uncomfortable with it being leasehold and the fact that leasehold on houses is being reviewed by the government. So......we found ourselves a lovely 1930's freehold house and we exchange today hopefully, with completion on the 28th. It's been a stressful time as we sold our house and have been living with the in-laws for a few weeks now, but I'm sure we made the right decision. Good luck everyone!
    • dpearson86
    • By dpearson86 12th Sep 17, 7:39 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    dpearson86
    I'm at 12 weeks since I made the offer today and the vendors wanted to be out by now (their children are starting school) but no closer to completion or exchange.

I'm a FTB and the house we are buying is in a chain of 5/6 properties. The estate agent isn't interested in chasing up if everything is moving in the rest of the chain anymore Solictors understandably don't know as they aren't the contact point for everyone.

This not knowing is terrible, especially as we've been told we are just waiting on everyone else and dates now.
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 12th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    Hi folks, joining this thread. Moving after 15 years in my current house. FTB buying my house and vendor of my new home moving in with partner so not really any chain.
    Mortgage sorted, surveys sorted, searches in progress and solicitors have draft contracts. Just waiting for the FTB to get valuation survey this week (bit of a delay getting it sorted since the offer was accepted second week August). Buyers solicitors waiting for answers to queries from my solicitors. The EA who is selling my house has been fab, keeps me up to date weekly with both my sale and purchase. Even though I am purchasing through a different EA (who have not kept me updated with anything).

Hoping to at least exchange late October if not complete by then but that really is wishful thinking i guess.
    • eittolder
    • By eittolder 12th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    eittolder
    Well finally looks like something might be happening with mine..offer accepted 16th June, vendors had to find somewhere to buy which happened 10th July, hopefully exchanging on Friday for completion 22nd, seems like forever but actually will only be 11 weeks from Vendors finding, just seems longer I guess because of the 3 or so weeks for them to find

Fingers crossed for everyone waiting
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 12th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 7,656 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Exchanged today with completion 28th. Smooth process so far with offer accepted 25th July so around 7 weeks to get to exchange. Fingers crossed for new buyer happytails. Just got to clear the flat now.
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 3 months to go.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 12th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    It's good to hear about a couple of fairly speedy transactions! Gives me hope that an October completion date isn't impossible!
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 12th Sep 17, 7:42 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    Best of luck happytails. I remember we were supposed to exchange on the same day.
    • pollyannaL
    • By pollyannaL 12th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    pollyannaL
    Still waiting for final drainage search...offer accepted 7th July..solicitors SO slow! Chain free, empty property! Rant over.
    • Jb_1982
    • By Jb_1982 12th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Jb_1982
    It's good to hear about a couple of fairly speedy transactions! Gives me hope that an October completion date isn't impossible!
    Originally posted by Pumpkim
    I'm with you on that. Searches have been initiated, anyone now how long the searches take to be completed?

I've also been advised to carry out two further searches for extra costs of course. One is for wind farms etc, and the other is for planning approval and applications within the last 10years. Has anyone else had this?
    • sukavi2011
    • By sukavi2011 13th Sep 17, 5:58 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    sukavi2011
    Completion tomorrow, so all the last minute bits to do tonight, feeling panicky excited and relieved at same time. In all sale/purchase has been going since beg April, but did have a couple failed before that. Good luck all others, will update on how move goes. Smoothly I hope
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 13th Sep 17, 7:23 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 3,150 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    I've also been advised to carry out two further searches for extra costs of course. One is for wind farms etc, and the other is for planning approval and applications within the last 10years. Has anyone else had this?
    Originally posted by Jb_1982
    those came up as standard on the ones my solicitor did for me, strange. the wind farms didnt have any real information so the ones they are offering you could be of more relevance, my results had x proposed sites within 5km of x turbines or more which could just be small farm ones, working in that industry i'm not that bothered by them
    - Mortgage: £ 53000 0! Mortgage Free!
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

376Posts Today

3,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin