Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,215Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 20
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 8th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    Our drainage search was ordered 19th August and is still not back so solicitor is chasing this up for us - Is it normally this long or should I expect there is a problem?

The solicitor said they will review searches and also send enquiries by next week - Why does it take so long? I am impatient and want to be in my new home. They won't tell me what their enquiries are so heavens only knows.
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 8th Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 776 Posts
    • 3,283 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    Our drainage search was ordered 19th August and is still not back so solicitor is chasing this up for us - Is it normally this long or should I expect there is a problem?

The solicitor said they will review searches and also send enquiries by next week - Why does it take so long? I am impatient and want to be in my new home. They won't tell me what their enquiries are so heavens only knows.
    Originally posted by Spendingqueen
    it doesnt mean anything other than the drainage search company they are using must be busy Spendingqueen, the search generator doesn't review or pass comment they just compile the data into the report and issue out to the requesting party. & if any part needs to come from the local authority then thats a likely slow point.

The enquiries your solicitor issue will depend on what they see in the searches, sounds like they want to do them all together in one go rather than review bits here and bits there which is sensible so until thats done they don't know what they are going to need to ask, sounds like they have got all the other docs they want to address any other potential boilerplate questions so could just be any bits they want to query from the search findings (if any).
    My solicitor sent me a copy of the queries email he sent the other side which he didn't have to do, reading it I don't really have a full understanding of about half the points but that's what i'm paying them for as they know what they are looking for and what boxes need satisfying.

I want to be in my home do but I want to know that the process has been followed correctly also.
    My buyers are coming over tomorrow to do some measuring so will compare notes with them then, & I might be calling the sellers solicitors today to give them a kick up the bum has we've had no communications in nearly 2 weeks as far as i'm aware
    Last edited by trix-a-belle; 08-09-2017 at 8:25 AM.
    - Mortgage: £ 53000 0! Mortgage Free!
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 4,703 Posts
    • 20,357 Thanks
    Slinky
    (sounds of fingers drumming on desk). Waiting now to hear we have completed. Nobody else in the chain, money has been with the solicitors since Monday. The vendor's solicitor is on holiday today, hope somebody else is paying attention. Fortunately we're not planning on picking up the keys until Monday.......
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 8th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    Thanks, I will keep myself busy until next Friday and hope something has progressed.
    • vixki
    • By vixki 8th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    vixki
    My solicitors have apparently heard absolutely nothing from the sellers solicitors even though they've been chasing them up. This delay means we've got to continue paying rent here till November which will mean it'll take us nearly four months from offer to completion - and that's only if the sellers solicitors ever come through! I can't understand what the dead silence means. Are they just not bothered?
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 8th Sep 17, 1:14 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    We are in the same boat - Looks like another months rent for us for October too but hoping if we move middle of October and then pay mortgage 1st November they won't overlap then so helps a little with budgeting.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    • 4,703 Posts
    • 20,357 Thanks
    Slinky
    We have completed. Picking up our keys on Monday as I'm working this weekend.
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 8th Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    dancing_star
    We have completed. Picking up our keys on Monday as I'm working this weekend.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Excellent! Looking forward to moving story
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Sep 17, 8:16 PM
    • 4,703 Posts
    • 20,357 Thanks
    Slinky
    Excellent! Looking forward to moving story
    Originally posted by dancing_star

We're not moving in as such yet, got to rent it out for a couple of years before we can move, but we're off to do some work on it next week. Will update.
    • toc25
    • By toc25 8th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Congrats to those who have exchanged / completed

I am 17 weeks in now, still haven't even exchanged yet and I am getting fed up of the whole thing. If I had known it was going to be this long I would have just stayed where I am and had an extension built!

One of these days I will be able to come on here and not sound like a moaning Minnie.
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 8th Sep 17, 8:32 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    dancing_star

One of these days I will be able to come on here and not sound like a moaning Minnie.
    Originally posted by toc25
    Me too Toc, we're of a similar vintage on this thread!
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 8th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    I am 17 weeks in now, still haven't even exchanged yet and I am getting fed up of the whole thing.
    Originally posted by toc25
    Has it been that long since we were on the waiting for a buyer thread!?
    Took us a bit longer than you to sell and find a property to buy, so I think we're about 8 weeks into the purchase / 10 into the sale..

Solicitor has had drainage and local authority searches back for purchase, and says everything is practically in place for the sale now. She is waiting for answers to queries we raised with vendor just over 2 weeks ago. I've turned everything around within a day, am I being unreasonable to be annoyed it's taking so long to answer? I'm really hoping we move in October, but I'm not even sure how big the chain is, I'm aware of three above, hope there aren't any more
    • RiversTam
    • By RiversTam 8th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    RiversTam
    I've just waited 3 days for a reply from my solicitor - only for it to say, "I've dictated a letter, which my assistant will sort out on Monday".
    Is it normal for solicitors so be so slow in replying and getting paperwork out?
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    • toc25
    • By toc25 8th Sep 17, 9:14 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Dancing star - At least we aren't alone then. Hopefully things will start moving for us both soon

Pumpkim - Yes! It was the beginning of May. It all went so quick for me we sold it really quick, found a house straight away. It was all going so well that we honestly believed we would be in by the end of July! how naive was I
    I hope it goes much quicker for you! I would definitely try and find out how many are in the chain and what the situation is, it will help you set realistic expectations. I wish I had found out earlier the situation with my chain. I would have been in a better position and able to make a decision as to wether I was happy to wait as long as I have. Never mind hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel eventually
    • toc25
    • By toc25 8th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    RiversTam - In my experience yes! Everything seems to take forever. I think they take on too much work personally.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 8th Sep 17, 10:01 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    Hi all, can I have some advice? I signed for purchase and sale 5 weeks ago and yet we are no closer to exchange. My buyer and seller are disorganised. I get told I'll get an update via the agents and then never do. We're all 12 weeks in.
    I know somethings are unavoidable but dire communication and lack of organisation mean things drag on.
    What's the best way to get them all into a position where we can exchange asap? I don't want to p them all off but I've been patient enough so far...
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • toc25
    • By toc25 9th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    toc25
    Sorry I have no advice because we are 17 weeks in and still not exchanged. I think I have probably been too soft though and not pushed for things as much as I should. I think your estate agent should be the one contacting everyone. Mine has been good in that sense, weekly updates even when there is nothing to update. Good luck
    • vixki
    • By vixki 9th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    vixki
    Goodwithsaving - I don't think you have to worry about annoying them. I think in this business being pushy is par for the course and in fact quite necessary! Of course you can be polite about it but being as proactive as possible is important. If you're told you are going to receive an update and don't, ring up the estate agent and say excuse me what's going on? Send an email every few days just saying you'd like to check everything is alright, say "is there anything I can do to help move things along" etc.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 9th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    Goodwithsaving - I don't think you have to worry about annoying them. I think in this business being pushy is par for the course and in fact quite necessary! Of course you can be polite about it but being as proactive as possible is important. If you're told you are going to receive an update and don't, ring up the estate agent and say excuse me what's going on? Send an email every few days just saying you'd like to check everything is alright, say "is there anything I can do to help move things along" etc.
    Originally posted by vixki
    Yep I know, I do chase (almost daily) - I've done this process a few times but no time as bad as this one. It's the solicitors who are the problem, not the agents. They're getting as frustrated as I am (probably from me wanting updates and solicitors genuinely not telling them anything o avoiding their calls). I'm sick of it, I just want to move and take life off pause :-(
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • sukavi2011
    • By sukavi2011 9th Sep 17, 10:29 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    sukavi2011
    Good luck all those waiting on news, hope you don't wait too long. Congrats to exchangers and those completed. I exchanged couple of weeks back and complete in a few days. My last two weekends have been manic. Almost packed everything and spring cleaned top to bottom, feel exhausted. Am looking forward to getting in and settling down after a years ups and downs with a couple of failed sales and purchase, though this time around has taken approx 18 weeks . Am working right up to day before so everything has to be finished tomorrow apart from the few things that cant be done till last minute.. Just hoping that all goes well on the day and not too stressful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,128Posts Today

9,135Users online

Martin's Twitter