Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,513Posts
    • 9,222Thanks
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • #1
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

    A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

    My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07


    Official Insert:

    Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

    50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 151
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 5th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Our solicitor says, all being well, we should be able to move in at end of the month. There are some inquiries from our new buyer to be answered today/tomorrow. They are using the searches from the previous buyer that dropped out, so that saves time. It would be fab if we can move over Easter weekend and take advantage of some days off.

    I drove past the house we are buying yesterday, and the lady was having a birthday party for her grandchild. She had Happy Birthday balloons tied up all over the sold sign.

    I know everyone says this process is supposed to be one of the most stressful things, but even with our first buyer pulling out, I haven't found it stressful, just unbelievably BORING. Weeks and weeks and weeks of just waiting around. Boring, boring, boring, BORING!!

    That's my rant over for today. Hope all of you waiting get some quick progress!
    Save £12k in 2018 #130 - £500/£7,000
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 5th Mar 18, 10:05 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Hello all - just checking in and checking out! We spent 4 days moving in the snow, with the added fun of kids being off school on snow days, our vendors removal van breaking down and blocking our drive and our removers getting in, finding the heating doesnt work in the downstairs of the new house, the owner leaving the whole house filthy, including piles of dog mess in the garden and an oven that we paid extra for which took two days to clean... but NONE of that has tarnished the joy of having such a beautiful house that suits our whole family. All the stress and effort of buying, conveyancing and moving is worth it in the end. Good luck to all those still in the midst of the process, you will get there and, like childbirth, the traumatic memories will fade! Thanks for all your support and advice over recent months.
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 5th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho - you sound so happy, glad you are getting there even with the snow (when we moved last April I remember how cold it was as our priority was to sort the heating out when we moved in!!) Its amazing how much energy you have to clean a new house!!!

    I fear that our exchange (selling) date will never arrive and I am soooooo bored with it all now. I really want to move on ! Everything just happens at such a snails pace. Phoned the solicitor this morning and got put on voicemail so asked her to update me with whats happening with land registry (last I heard was 3 weeks ago and 15 days notice was to be given to our neighbours for the adverse possession.

    Hopefully will get an update this week but I won't hold my breath!

    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 5th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 4,184 Thanks
    Has anyone else had a chain free purchase that involved renting on either side? We will need to wait for exchange before we give notice, but if exchange happens just after the day of the month that our contract falls on, we then have an extra two months to pay. Our vendors are also moving into rented so likely to drag their feet to save themselves rent.

    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 5th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Vicki, that's great. Fingers crossed!
    Janey, that's sound niiceee!
    Spendinglikemad, the day will come. Don't worry and keep your mind busy with something else but push the solicitor in the same time.
    FloppyDisk, we are in a similar situation. First time buyers. Our vendor is buying the house of his mum without searches and mortgage. She is going to nursing home.
    We have to give notice till 28th of March. I was just wondering if to wait just Exchange to give notice or is better to wait Completion.
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 5th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 4,184 Thanks
    At exchange, you should state the date for completion, so there should be no unknowns, we are intending to give notice then and hopefully tie in the completion date to our rental contract. If you wait until completion you are definitely going to have to pay at least a month of extra rent, whereas if you do it at exchange you could time it perfectly and not waste any money, or at least minimise it.

    I guess we will get to exchange and then hope our landlords be willing to negotiate and perhaps do a month's notice but not necessarily on the correct day of the month!

    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 5th Mar 18, 3:34 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Got a call from our solicitor. Vendors is keep changing the completion day. First he said he wants to complete till end of February. Then was 7 of March. Now he says 12th of March witch is Monday.
    If it doesn't happen then, I plan to press him a little bit saying that if we don't exchange by the 23th of March, we will ask him to pay our rent for as long as we have to stay in rented or walk away.
    I think that's fair.
    • Fisa002
    • By Fisa002 5th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Does anyone know what happened with Happytails, the original poster and her situation?
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 5th Mar 18, 4:08 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    Solicitor just called me back to say she thinks we should hear back from land registry by Thurs/Friday this week (as they said it may take 17/18 days rather than 15) so will be switching off now until end of the week, nothing more to chase!

    We did reserve a beautiful little puppy as a new addition to our family so we have lots to plan and the week will hopefully go fast

    Keep chasing everyone!!

    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 6th Mar 18, 8:30 PM
    • 3,560 Posts
    • 11,577 Thanks
    Due to complete and move in on Monday 12th. Removals firm coming Saturday to do most of it, then back on Monday. We haven't heard from our solicitor since we exchanged on 17th Feb - should I be worried? I'm assuming she's arranging for the release of the mortgage funds etc.
    Looking forward to a move to the country!
    • Tootling
    • By Tootling 6th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 11 Thanks

    We are nearly there.

    Basic overview...

    House on sale in March last year.

    Got one offer a few weeks in. Turned it down. Regretted it ever since.

    Waited months for another.

    They pulled out just before we'd have been prepared to exchange.

    Back on the market. Chucked estate agent who kept bringing huge families of people and their mothers to view our small 3 bed semi and being surprised when they realised that no 6 people will not be able to fit.

    Found new buyers in november. Yay!

    Intended to go into rental but found a house instead. Got into a chain.

    Two weeks ago we broke our chain by moving out into temp housing situation.

    Now we are waiting to exchange with the house we are buying. But there are all kinds of nigly things.

    We are waiting for an indemnity policy to hopefully come into effect. This could have been sorted out weeks ago but despite back and forth has not.

    Further down the chain the solicitors have been having this argument.

    One says he is waiting for answers from questions. The other days they have already been answered. So they have been back and forth saying this apparently. I thought this had our should have been sorted a week ago. EA seem to come up with a different answer each week. But no they are still basically saying yes i did, no you haven't, yes i did. JUST ANSWER THEM AGAIN!

    And at the very bottom done confusion over fields. Which should be sorted. But every time we phone the EA says oh toys will be sorted out by friday and then it has been sorted out.. and now it hasn't.

    So exchanging any time this week is looking unlikely. Maybe bext week. But the week after our seller is away on a conference so won't be able to do anything.

    Everything is being really annoying! And even on our side of things my OH went on a business trip to Korea and came back 3 days before we had to move. Everything felt mad.

    But now i am here and due to move have no job. So have nothing better to do it than job hunt and phone solicitors abd Estate Agents bugging them likevan incessant flea.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 22,600 Thanks
    Does anyone know what happened with Happytails, the original poster and her situation?
    Originally posted by Fisa002

    I've wondered this myself. The last time I checked her profile she hadn't logged in for several months. I do hope things worked out for her in the end.
    • Fisa002
    • By Fisa002 7th Mar 18, 2:40 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    I've wondered this myself. The last time I checked her profile she hadn't logged in for several months. I do hope things worked out for her in the end.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Speaking of the devil they have just posted in awaiting mortgage decision. Apparently, staying put and remortgaging to do current house up x
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 7th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Tootling, hope it happens as soon as possible. Living in temporary is so annoying! Fingers crossed.

    We are waiting to exchange too. Completion is set for Monday 12h but I have this gut feeling is not going to happen. I contacted EA yesterday. He said they are waiting on the solicitor of my vendor again.
    Can't stand this team of clowns! Don't know if that's the reason though. They are all blaming each other isn't it?
    • x_malibubabe
    • By x_malibubabe 7th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Our solicitor gave us a proposed exchange date of 22nd March but she is still waiting for the leasehold pack to come through. We literally have everything else ready to go! Our sellers have been pretty slow at everything so far, and I'm impatient :/
    • Exoterror
    • By Exoterror 7th Mar 18, 9:26 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    This forum is really keeping me sane during all of this waiting. Good news for a few people on here so congratulations for those who have hit milestones.

    We've had a minor hiccup in that our solicitor wants to see the valuation report but Virgin Money apparently don't send them out to their clients. The solicitor is chasing that one up and we have sent over our signed mortgage paperwork to the solicitor. I think we'll be arranging dates for exchange and completion once the solicitor is happy with what they want to check on the valuation.
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 7th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Popping in for the (maybe) last time: I'm due to complete tomorrow, then a week of tiny renovations and re-decorations and finally I'll be in my new home! It seems I've totally forgotten about removals and furniture, but I'm so relieved I'd be happy to sleep on the bare floor as long as it's MINE!
    • Fisa002
    • By Fisa002 7th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Heres my timeline so far:

    Mon 14th jan
    Went to view house. Liked it. Didnt love it. EA told us house opposite on sale too. Slightly more than what I was looking at with extra bedroom but its under offer but theres a prob with valuation. Will let us know if anything changes.
    Thurs 17
    Call from EA house opposite sale has fallen through. Buyer couldnt get mortgage. Asked do I want to view? Booked viewing that same night.
    Fri 18
    Absolutely loved the house. Put first offer in. Rejected. Put second one in that night.
    Mon 21st jan
    2nd offer accepted
    Tue 22nd jan
    solicitor instructed, and went to see broker
    Wed 23 jan
    DIP Nationwide
    Thur 24 jan
    full application submitted
    Thur 1 feb
    Nationwide ask for extra docs. Then informed mortgage apication is referred to HO for random audit. Advised will take ten days (of doing nothing)
    Wed 7
    NW book valuation for 16 feb. Paid for homebuyers survey same day.
    Fri 16
    Valuation and homebuyers survey completed
    Fri 23
    Txt from NW received valuation
    Mon 26
    Solicitors received draft contracts from vendor. Searches started.
    Tue 27
    Nationwide mortgage offer by text.
    Broker confirms full amount.
    Originally posted by Fisa002
    Updates to add
    Wed 28
    After reading mortgage offer, Nationwide advised the close proximity of a tree to the house may have cause for concern and advised a tree surgeon survey. After looking online booked at vendors property for tomorrow
    Thur 1 March
    Tree survey completed. Report emailed over and sent to solicitor. No cause for concern. (Minus £200 less for survey)
    Wed 7th
    Solicitor says searches all back. Draft contracts and enquiries sent to vendor. Also has sent me a copy.

    So that’s it. Hopefully should receive the draft contracts tomorrow and the furniture and fixtures reports. I’m not sure what the process is after this to be honest. Is anyone else in a similar timeframe with the conveyancing now ?
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 7th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Fisa002 we waited so long for answer of enquiries from vendor and fixtures and fittings - 4 weeks. Hope you don't wait for so long. We got it all on 23 February, contracts were signed etc. Searches done way before that. Still waiting to exchange.
    • Fisa002
    • By Fisa002 7th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Fisa002 we waited so long for answer of enquiries from vendor and fixtures and fittings - 4 weeks. Hope you don't wait for so long. We got it all on 23 February, contracts were signed etc. Searches done way before that. Still waiting to exchange.
    Originally posted by Amanda_Cm
    Oh no. 4 weeks? The EA said the vendor is hoping to complete in another 2 weeks! So she better get her skates on in answering those enquiries then.
    Solicitor said theres quite a few to answer (which is normal).
    I think I will ring the EA on Friday and advise they have been sent and if they can reply to them promptly if they want to complete in 2 weeks.
    I think I will have a few more to send after I receive the fixture and fittings forms.

    Hope you won’t have to wait much longer for that exchange ! X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

2,477Users online

Martin's Twitter