Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,218Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 140
    • T4taylor
    • By T4taylor 12th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    T4taylor
    Hi gang, I!!!8217;m jumping in with what feels like the worst luck in the world...

July House 1
    Went for a look round- family friend was renovating, loved it.
    August
    House was valued by EA at £220,000. As we were family the offered it us at £210,000. Applied for mortgage and paid £500 application and valuation fees.
    September
    After lots of tooing and froing with paperwork and bank statements for mortgage got AIP. Solicitor instructed and £300 paid. House valued by surveyor at £190,000 and family friend not prepared to negotiate. Pulled out and lost £500
    October House 2
    Found a brilliant house at £200,000 went to see it and put in an offer straight away. Ended up in a bidding war which we won at £212,500. However EA warned us to look at the placement of proposed HS2- turned out to be less than 5 mins walk from the back garden for a 5km viaduct and the East Midlands Hub station. Sadly pulled out.
    October House 3
    Found another great house advertised at £200,000. However land registry said the rest of the street was around £160,000. We put in an offer and was rejected multiple times even though we!!!8217;re first time buyers and they had no other offers. Decided on £195,000 but they would not take it off the market.
    We acted quickly and paid mortgage fees, collected paper work again and instructed solicitor and survey. The day survey was to be booked the couple decided to split up!! And take the house off the market. Lost £135 mortgage fees, managed to get survey fee reimbursed.
    November House 4
    Really despondent so decided to just find any half decent house that at least had an easy transaction. Found one for £180,000 put offer in and was accepted straight away. Paid mortgage and survey fees again, another £500.
    December
    Valuation came back at the right price so begin signing docs with solictor who sent off searches.
    January
    Phone call on the 4th Jan, the house our vendor wanted to buy has gone to probate.
    16th Jan searches revealed subsidence, missing building regs and indemnity.
    February
    Constant chasing to find out what!!!8217;s going on with probate and enquiries on searches.
    Last weekend went to view some more properties thinking of returning to the market.
    Today
    Found out completion date proposed for 23rd March. This was only after I had been chasing...
    The saga continues!
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 12th Feb 18, 6:23 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 11,561 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Didn't exchange today. Everyone is poised and ready and the deposit is through and ready to pass up the chain, but the bottom solicitor is still checking through paperwork, having not been in the office on Friday, so didn't give his authorisation. Hopeful for tomorrow. Even the estate agents are swearing at this point.
    Looking forward to a move to the country!
    • Vampyr
    • By Vampyr 12th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Vampyr
    Got pretty annoyed after another morning of waiting today. Found out solicitor of my vendor wasn't replying to anyone even though the EA and vendor had confirmed they were instructed to exchange and everyone else in the chain was ready to go. So I just called them up and gave them an earful and politely reminded them that their business depends on good online feedback.

Long story short - an hour or so later we exchanged.

Last edited by Vampyr; 12-02-2018 at 6:42 PM. Reason: Typo
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 7,975 Posts
    • 38,730 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Congratulations Vampyr! when do you complete?

Pah Tiglath. Why are people so incompetent?? Fingers crossed for tomorrow...

Welcome T4taylor, not surprised you're on the verge of giving up what a fiasco you've had fingers crossed you end up in your new house soon, wherever that ends up x

No news for us today. Emailed solicitor last night saying if we've not exchanged by the end of Friday then we need to renegotiate dates - he's passed that on to buyers' solicitor but not heard anything back - we're all at the mercy of whoever paid the deposit for the bottom of the chain who has gone on a cruise without handing over ID docs
    • Vampyr
    • By Vampyr 12th Feb 18, 8:54 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Vampyr
    Congratulations Vampyr! when do you complete?
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Thanks Cheery! Complete on 21 February.
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 12th Feb 18, 10:48 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    Wow Vampyr! Brilliant.

Tiglath, you have all chances for this week. Almost there. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

T4taylor, welcome. That's awful. I mean all you went trough sound like the more stressful experience ever. Hope MSE forum bring you better luck.

Akahotpot, welcome. Didn't get it. You bought new house but waiting to sell the old one? ( hope I don't sound stupid)
    • PThome
    • By PThome 13th Feb 18, 9:05 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    PThome
    Hi,

Joining this group again
    We have lost our buyer mid-January and because of that lost the house we wanted to buy However we have now found another buyer (offer accepted yesterday) and as the house we want to buy is till on the market we are going to call the agent and see if they are happy to continue the process

So, I am joining this group again and hopefully can share my progress with you. Let's see if is second time luck!

Great to see that many of you that started this journey with me have already exchanged/complete good luck to all still waiting and hopefully we will be joining that extra happy group soon
    • BlueTwiglet
    • By BlueTwiglet 13th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    BlueTwiglet
    Welcome T4Taylor. I got stressed for you just reading your timeline! Hopefully everything will progress smoothly for you now.

Congratulations Vampyr!

That is wonderful news PThome, glad to see you back in the boat with the rest of us. Fingers crossed you have better luck with your buyer this time.
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 13th Feb 18, 12:48 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    Joining this group -

Offer accepted on our house 24th October
    Offer accepted on onward purchase 13th November
    Mortgage applied for 15th November
    Mortgage offer received 1st December.

Told beginning of January the vendor would be looking to complete on their onward purchase w/c 19th Feb.

Completion on our sale 26th January. Belongings into storage and we moved into temporary accommodation with my parents.

Our Solicitor received no communication from seller s solicitor since early Jan. Chased via agent.

5th Feb received an email from EA saying they had been assured the vendor s onward purchase was on for the end of February. This is okay, some slippage was to be expected.

Speak with solicitor yesterday and still no update their end.

Then out of the blue today - email from our Solicitor who had finally had an update from the vendor s solicitor that said no idea when they will be able to proceed but should be shortly;. They have not had draft contract yet. The developer is still getting plans approved.
    I am now thinking - is this house even fully built and ready to be occupied yet?!

Sent a bunch of questions back to our solicitor and waiting for a response. Got an out of office and she will not be back until this afternoon.

So now we are waiting and have no idea what our new timeline is. Frustrated!!

NB Took out the random characters. I am now missing apostrophes which is bothersome.
    Last edited by pink_pirlie; 13-02-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Remove random characters
    • Akahotpot
    • By Akahotpot 13th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Akahotpot
    Akahotpot, welcome. Didn't get it. You bought new house but waiting to sell the old one?
    No i made an offer on a house before putting mine on the market as I was told by a couple of EA it would sell quickly but I should have waited until I had an offer ....live and learn .
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    • 7,975 Posts
    • 38,730 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    welcome pink-perlie - hope things progress more smoothly from now on. Does sound a bit suspicious about the un-built house!

Welcome back PTHome, glad you've found a buyer

Still no news here. I did have a nice email from our vendor's estate agent who clearly hadn't heard the news about us all waiting for Granny to get back from her cruise I assumed all the solicitors were updating each other at this point and that I wouldn't have to be ringing round estate agents letting them know what was going on but apparently not. I told her everything I knew - so much of the time it's just the not knowing that's the most frustrating bit - I'm a LOT more patient now I know we're waiting for Granny than I was when I had no idea what was going on!

Mind you, I suspect I won't be very patient on Thursday Especially not as I've said if we can't exchange by the end of Thursday then I want to renegotiate completion date - and our buyers are on holiday from 16th Hope we don't end up not even exchanging until they get back

Fortunately I think we *all* want to get exchange over and done with as quickly as possible, even if completion is pushed another week away.

Whatever happens this week, I hope that this time next month we'll have moved Although as usual, I won't hold my breath...
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 13th Feb 18, 6:04 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Being at the bottom of a non-communicative chain is testing my patience! The estate agent we are buying through isnt returning my emails, my solicitor cant get sensible responses from the solicitor above. I rang the estate agent above mine and got to a call centre who could only give me limited details (Purple Bricks) but who is trying to get information through to me via the conveyancer - I doubt that will work. I feel completely stuck in limbo. What other options do I have to get information/action in these circumstances? Do I just have to sit it out until I decide that Im bored of waiting and look for another house, or do I have any other leverage I havent thought of?
    • RXT156
    • By RXT156 13th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    RXT156
    Hellooo all!!

Positive news so far this week. Everyone is ready to go in the chain and sols have said they are just waiting for replies from other sols about dates. They proposed early next week but they need 5 days to request mortgage funds. Fingers crossed for late next week !!!128522;!!!128513;
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 13th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 11,561 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Still haven't exchanged, don't know when it's happening, and nobody can tell us what the hold-up is except the buyer's first solicitor who is currently not talking to anyone including the buyer's second solicitor and the actual buyer, it seems. We're attempting to take a longer term view and hoping to exchange by the end of this week. Our estate agent is trying to keep the whole chain sweet, but our vendor has been pushing for exchange since 4th January.
    Looking forward to a move to the country!
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 13th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    mutley74
    Best of luck to everyone still in the process of buying. My completion was on the 26th Jan and to be frank i wish i did not more thorough viewings (although i did see the property about 5 times). But more behind curtains, inside the fitted wardrobes and exterior condition. Finding so many faults despite a full survey carried out, and vendors being a bit difficult in getting a few trade quotes for work in on acceptance.
    My advice is persevere with thorough viewings and always ask a professional builder/elec/damp proofer to check anything for you if unsure, as one can easily underestimate costs to rectify a hidden bad job!
    • G.McC
    • By G.McC 13th Feb 18, 8:42 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    G.McC
    Hi all,

First post on here after watching for quite some time! My partner and I are FTB and have been looking at houses since September and by a complete stroke of luck, have agreed to buy the house next to my parents! It's a private sale which is great as no chance of getting gazumped and our seller has already bought her new house.

We applied for a mortgage with Nationwide on Wednesday, they have received our documents (pay slips, bank account and proof of deposit) and they've now organised the valuation for early next week. Hoping that this means they haven't found any red flags on our documents or credit searches?

We know our seller and we know that we're incredibly lucky to be getting the house - our only worry is the mortgage! We have a 15% deposit and we're getting the house at a great price so we're hoping that the valuation goes through without any problems!

We agreed to buy the house back in November but now that things are starting to move I find myself getting seriously impatient!

We instructed the solicitor a week ago but haven't heard anything from them since paying the deposit. Our seller isn't planning on moving out until June so there still a fair bit of waiting to do. Any things to look out for or get in place in the coming months/weeks?
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 13th Feb 18, 9:01 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    Being at the bottom of a non-communicative chain is testing my patience! The estate agent we are buying through isnt returning my emails, my solicitor cant get sensible responses from the solicitor above.
    Originally posted by JaneyLouWho
    This is exactly our situation right now so I feel your pain!

My solicitor says the estate agent are ignoring us on purpose. I am going to go in tomorrow so they can not escape me! Going to give them drop dead date for exchange as we don’t have even an inkling what timescales we are waiting for right now.

Our vendor is buying a new build retirement property. I was assured only a week ago by the EA that the vendor was still on to complete in February and today had we received contrary information from our solicitor (as per my previous post).

My parents went to the building site today after the email from solicitor now I know where she is buying and turns out the house carcasses are mostly complete but that the insides are still to do. I have zero confidence the property will be ready to complete in February.

Does anyone have any idea how long a new build takes to be kitted out on the inside?

I feel everyone s frustrations on this thread!
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 14th Feb 18, 8:25 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Update from us is solicitors called me to provide an update from land registry and next part of the process is to send out a notice to neighbours to advise of the changes to land registry in case they want to object and then they have 15 working days to object (has to be a valid objection ie they would have to prove ownership of the land ie that they have upkept it - its a mature hedge which has always been in same location ) Basically this has happened as the land registry sometime in the last 20 years updated the map and the boundary is now in the wrong place - as we moved out last year the neighbours all are a bit peeved with us - as we didn't share the information with them that we were planning to move out and kind of ignore us when we go around to the house now!!! (nowt as funny as folk eh) so I am hoping they are not awkward - so now the waiting has extended another 3 weeks - ho hum.......

From our dealings over the title deeds and lang registry it has transpired that both our deeds and my neighbours deeds are wrong so at least it shares this info with them for when they want to sell their property (£300 and 2 months worth of conyenacing time to deal with) - somehow a big triangle shaped parcel became unregistered which goes over the boundary of the ours and neighbours house

Roll on March for exchange (hope our buyers are still on board as we agreed sale last Nov)

SLM
    Last edited by spendinglikemad; 14-02-2018 at 8:26 AM. Reason: typo
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 14th Feb 18, 9:34 AM
    • 319 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    juniordoc
    Well done GMcC. 15% is not a bad first time deposit these days. Hopefully a private sale means you're getting a good price since the seller is saving big-time on estate agent fees!
    Are nationwide doing a homebuyers report with your valuation or do you need to arrange your own survey?
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 14th Feb 18, 11:37 AM
    • 7,975 Posts
    • 38,730 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    What a palaver SLM! Hope it gets sorted quickly.

Hope the new build doesn't take too long pink_perlie!

Welcome G.McC. Just make sure you get all paperwork at your end turned round as quickly as possible! Might be worth getting the solicitor to confirm they've started the searches (if you want them to start before you've got the mortgage offer through, that is).

Time for an update of the Spreadsheet of Blame Not done it for a while If you weren't around when I updated before, this is a spreadsheet I set up months ago when I was getting VERY grumpy at things being delayed, and feeling partly responsible cos our mortgage was taking so long to go through. Each party has a column, and the days are listed down the side. Each week I go through and update who was to blame for the delay being caused on each particular day

Things got a little confused between the mortgage broker and lender (but they were both as bad as each other). I've recently added a new column for the bottom of the chain - didn't seem fair to blame our buyers themselves for *their* buyers dropping out and the new ones being a pain in the @rse

So...

Us: 27 days (a few days between receiving and accepting offer, finding a house to buy, and a brief few days of food poisoning where I didn't do anything)
    Broker: 23 days (faffing before putting application in, filling form in wrong causing a lower offer amount, refusing to contact me to sort it out)
    Lender: 41 days (initial processing, then a load of faffing making a decision when the house was valued at £0 and we had to change the title plan)
    Solicitor: 12 days (pretty good! Mostly changing title plan docs - everything else was done while waiting 3 months for the mortgage...)
    Buyer: 28 days (selling their house after we'd accepted offer, then selling again when their original buyer dropped out)
    Seller: 16 days (suspect this is their solicitor rather than them, taking 2 weeks to answer a simple question about the title plan)
    Bottom of chain: 75 days (not fair really as original bottom of chain dropped out, so they've become responsible for every single day of delay since the start of December But don't feel sorry for them - they said they were ready to exchange on 31st Jan and got us all excited but we're still waiting for them to get their act together now!)

Completely pointless but somehow knowing who to blame makes me feel better
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,502Posts Today

8,273Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks for all the tweets this week. I'm about to sign off for the weekend. See you next week. Have a good one. Martin

• RT @TimesMoney: Is this how you feel about your student loan? @MartinSLewis has some advice for you. Read our exclusive interview in @Times?

• RT @brokenbottleboy: @MartinSLewis I look better now than I did when I was in my twenties. Grey hair has been a good thing!

• Follow Martin