Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,218Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 135
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 7,971 Posts
    • 38,720 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Indeed Vampyr - our buyer is fine, it's THEIR buyer (the bottom of the chain) that's the problem!

I suppose we might find out at some point, maybe...
    • RXT156
    • By RXT156 5th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    RXT156
    Hii all. Great news last week, vendor sorted electrical certificate (SO relieved, I was losing sleep over the though of turning the lights on and the whole house burning down!!!!) but luckily they have had the check done and the paperwork is with sols now. Just waiting to hear about exchange and completion dates now as all is in place for my purchase. Progress is being made. Almost 4 months in but nearly there now.
    • kezzygirl
    • By kezzygirl 5th Feb 18, 8:15 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    kezzygirl
    Update from my end: pest controller has been in to quote re the woodworm found, it doesnt need treating apparently and seems old and minimal, which is great news. Just got a roofer going in over the next week to quote for the roof repair where the tiles have slipped. Have emailed solicitor querying if we could have a provisional date for exchange.

Bit reluctant to close the htb isa until we know when we will exchange!
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 5th Feb 18, 8:37 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Ugh, Cheery - good luck sorting out the freezer/meat combo. Not ideal!

Phoebe - hope you dont have to stay in the travelodge without the doggies for too long

Aliliva - dont give up! It will be worth it in the end Im sure

RTX - hooray for progress!!

Progress of a sort here too - dates for exchange/completion on the sale still set for 8th/15th. Heard from the top of the purchase chain that searches are due back on the 8th and they expect to be ready to proceed in a couple of weeks. I will be pushing for that to be sooner - completion on the 16th on the purchase would be like the stars aligning on so many levels! My father in law will be here then and could help us move (he is on a once every 3 year visit from Canada so Id love for him to see the new house too!), the removals to store could be changed to a direct removal, we wouldnt need to worry about alternative accommodation. Our lovely seller is happy to push for that date too, so hopefully it will all come together!! Crossing all fingers and toes, trying not to get excited whilst also getting Very Excited!!
    Last edited by JaneyLouWho; 05-02-2018 at 8:40 PM.
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 6th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    Cheery, freezer full of meat? Is like scene if scary movie.

Kezzygirl, yes my seller sent me Facebook invitation and then delete it. It was sent by mistake I think.

Phoebe, that's a nightmare. Staying in there. Hope you will be in your new home soon.

Janey, it sound like a progress hoorey!
    • milliemil
    • By milliemil 6th Feb 18, 9:23 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    milliemil
    Our story so far....
    Hey everyone,
    Thought i'd finally post in here after reading everyone's posts to take my mind of the dreaded moving game!
    I don't have an exact timeline yet will have to look back and post later.

My story so far...
    On 6th November - 10 days after our house has been put on the market we received an offer at asking price!
    I was away at the time on a two week holiday and my partner was still in England.
    He went and reserved the lovely new build we had found before I left. Lots of paperwork needed to be done and I managed to print and sign all of it from the hotel reception where I was staying.
    The new build was only being held for 4 weeks for us and we had a date to exchange on the 8th December.
    All our paperwork was signed and ready to go with our mortgage offer in place, ready to exchange on the 8th
    But its never that simple is it!
    Of course we had heard nothing from our buyers solicitors come exchange week and they claimed they had never received the instruction to proceed meaning no searches had been done and the buyers hadn't even applied for their mortgage yet.

The buyers finally apply for their mortgage. We have missed our 8th December deadline and now worried that we will lose our new build - luckily they have held on for us!

The buyers bank instructed a mortgage valuation which devalued the house by 6.6%, putting pressure on us and we had reserved a house based on the money available to us when they offered asking price. We settled on a 4.6% drop.

At the end of December the buyers were back in touch saying the bank had asked for a Structural Survey. That took place the last week before Christmas with the promise the report would be back within 48 hours. It wasn't and didn't return until mid-Jan. where no comments were made to us and everything seemed to be ok.

At the end of Jan, the buyers contacted us to say that the bank had now asked for a drainage survey which was arranged for the next day - our drains all clean and clear.

Surely they cant ask for anymore. Wrong.

We received a phone call yesterday to say the bank had received an amended structural survey (?!) with a valuation now and that had decreased the value by a further 5% meaning the house had now been devalued by 12%. Meaning that if the buyers aren't willing to pay over the banks valuation we would have to pull.
    Our new build house is ready to move into on the 23rd of this month and we have chose all our tiles flooring etc and been to visit every week since we reserved but cant get excited as its not our house yet!
    Our buyers and us negotiated and finally settled on a figure that is 6% below our original asking price and are finally due to exchange on Friday....

The last house we bought in Oct 2016 was our first one and had no chain and all went smoothly! We are now 25 and I think this has been one of the most stressful processes of ur lives so far haha!
    Will keep you all posted.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 6th Feb 18, 9:31 AM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 2,542 Thanks
    harz99
    Hey everyone,
    Thought i'd finally post in here after reading everyone's posts to take my mind of the dreaded moving game!

My story so far...
    On 6th November - 10 days after our house has been put on the market we received an offer at asking price!
    I was away at the time on a two week holiday and my partner was still in England.
    He went and reserved the lovely new build we had found before I left. Lots of paperwork needed to be done and I managed to print and sign all of it from the hotel reception where I was staying.
    The new build was only being held for 4 weeks for us and we had a date to exchange on the 8th December.
    All our paperwork was signed and ready to go with our mortgage offer in place, ready to exchange on the 8th
    Of course we had heard nothing from our buyers solicitors come exchange week and they claimed they had never received the instruction to proceed meaning no searches had been done and the buyers hadn't even applied for their mortgage yet.

The buyers finally apply for their mortgage. We have missed our 8th December deadline and now worried that we will lose our new build - luckily they have held on for us!

The buyers bank instructed a mortgage valuation which devalued the house by 6.6%, putting pressure on us and we had reserved a house based on the money available to us when they offered asking price. We settled on a 4.6% drop.

At the end of December the buyers were back in touch saying the bank had asked for a Structural Survey. That took place the last week before Christmas with the promise the report would be back within 48 hours. It wasn't and didn't return until mid-Jan. where no comments were made to us and everything seemed to be ok.

At the end of Jan, the buyers contacted us to say that the bank had now asked for a drainage survey which was arranged for the next day - our drains all clean and clear.

We received a phone call yesterday to say the bank had received an amended structural survey (?!) with a valuation now and that had decreased the value by a further 5% meaning the house had now been devalued by 12%. Meaning that if the buyers aren't willing to pay over the banks valuation we would have to pull.
    Our new build house is ready to move into on the 23rd of this month and we have chose all our tiles flooring etc and been to visit every week since we reserved but cant get excited as its not our house yet!
    Our buyers and us negotiated and finally settled on a figure that is 6% below our original asking price and are finally due to exchange on Friday....

The last house we bought in Oct 2016 was our first one and had no chain and all went smoothly! We are now 25 and I think this has been one of the most stressful processes of ur lives so far haha!
    Originally posted by milliemil

For information and the benefit of others - the buyers bank is?
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 6th Feb 18, 9:57 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    vicki2221
    We got a low offer yesterday. We said no but let's hope they come back with something higher.

I have been thinking and thinking about the buyer who pulled out due to the subsidence risk and her survey. She refused to give us the survey or any details. The morning she was due to sign her contract her EA called me to say she was just waiting for her drainage survey to come back later that day and then she would sign. Then a few hours later she pulls out. So now I am wondering if the drainage survey had something bad in it? But she won't tell us anything and hung up on my EA when he tried to ask. It would be good to know, so we can address any issues, if there are any. I suppose there's no way of finding out?! :-(
    • milliemil
    • By milliemil 6th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    milliemil
    For information and the benefit of others - the buyers bank is?
    Originally posted by harz99
    Halifax - surprisingly to me!
    • treeny_bash
    • By treeny_bash 6th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 1,025 Thanks
    treeny_bash
    Hi all

Exciting to hear that people are exchanging, completing and moving! I'm really concerned reading that some of you are having problems with useless FTB - we are clueless FTB and doing it alone so we're relying on the solicitor and estate agents to keep us right with what we're supposed to be doing. We've made some progress - we're converting our AIP into a full mortgage. OH told me that the online form said it had been accepted, but they keep emailing us and asking questions about transactions on our statements and employment, so he obviously misunderstood what it said. Our searches are back, and apparently the survey has been done, although we haven't seen it yet.

Timeline:
    03/01 Offer accepted
    04/01 AIP agreed with Yorkshire - valid for 30 days
    08/01 Instructed solicitors to act on our behalf
    10/01 Provided EA with proof of deposit, AIP and ID
    12/01 Received pack from solicitors
    15/01 Paid fee for Searches
    18/01 Applied for full mortgage with YBS
    26/01 Phone call and email from YBS detailing information required to proceed with application
    26/01 - GOT ENGAGED (not relevant at all, but completely distracting me from the fact we're supposed to be doing house stuff)
    31/01 - Survey conducted
    05/02 - Searches returned

We've answered all of the building society's questions, provided ID and we're just waiting for them to contact OH's accountant (he's self employed) and hopefully that will all be done and dusted.

The searches have returned nothing untoward according to the solicitor. There's something about a planned wind farm, and they recommend doing another search for another £20.00 to find out more about this. It won't be on the doorstep anyway, there's houses all around our house, and we don't have views of rolling hills so there's nothing to spoil there.

Seller contacted us last month to ask if we wanted their wardrobes for £500. We said no thanks (they deffo weren't worth 500 quid), and they came back within a day and said would we want them for free? Answer still no, so hoping they definitely take them with them when they go - better than freezers full of meat though!

Sorry for the epic, it's all getting a bit real now!
    • Aliliva
    • By Aliliva 6th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    Aliliva
    We got a low offer yesterday. We said no but let's hope they come back with something higher.

I have been thinking and thinking about the buyer who pulled out due to the subsidence risk and her survey. She refused to give us the survey or any details. The morning she was due to sign her contract her EA called me to say she was just waiting for her drainage survey to come back later that day and then she would sign. Then a few hours later she pulls out. So now I am wondering if the drainage survey had something bad in it? But she won't tell us anything and hung up on my EA when he tried to ask. It would be good to know, so we can address any issues, if there are any. I suppose there's no way of finding out?! :-(
    Originally posted by vicki2221

maybe wait and see if this second buyer puts on a higher offer and then what their survey says. Worst case scenario, if even their survey comes back with a less than positive answer, you might want to consider commissioning your own survey and address whichever issue they find.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 6th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 6,638 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Hey everyone,

My story so far...

Originally posted by milliemil
    Milliemil, so sorry you have had to go through this Sounds as though the end is in sight now though and you'll get your shiny new house!

I can sympathise, having gone through similar - our buyers' valuation came back at £0 because of subsidence , structural report requested........had to wait an age for the results - only to discover there was no subsidence!!! Then all kinds of other reports and quotes were requested by their lender - including damp......even though we have a 30 year transferable guarantee There were weeks when I got no sleep till 5am and my hair came out in handfuls, the stress was so bad!

Eventually their mortage offer came through without so much as a small retentention, but a whole two months were wasted and we lost our onward purchase. We completed two weeks ago and are now buying a repossession - cue more stress, lol!
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • milliemil
    • By milliemil 6th Feb 18, 10:46 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    milliemil
    Milliemil, so sorry you have had to go through this Sounds as though the end is in sight now though and you'll get your shiny new house!

I can sympathise, having gone through similar - our buyers' valuation came back at £0 because of subsidence , structural report requested........had to wait an age for the results - only to discover there was no subsidence!!! Then all kinds of other reports and quotes were requested by their lender - including damp......even though we have a 30 year transferable guarantee There were weeks when I got no sleep till 5am and my hair came out in handfuls, the stress was so bad!

Eventually their mortage offer came through without so much as a small retentention, but a whole two months were wasted and we lost our onward purchase. We completed two weeks ago and are now buying a repossession - cue more stress, lol!
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    Oh no that sounds a nightmare , how stressful for you, not only having the £0 valuation but then the reality of having to deal with living in a home with subsidence
    Thank goodness the structural survey came back with some good news for you - such a roller coaster ride isn't it!
    I just want to tell everyone about our lovely new home that we could be in in 16 days - but cant because it isn't our house!!
    Hope everything goes okay with buying the repo - I will keep an eye out for updates from you. So thankful we have sites like these to help us and other people to talk to!
    • harz99
    • By harz99 6th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 2,542 Thanks
    harz99

Seller contacted us last month to ask if we wanted their wardrobes for £500. We said no thanks (they deffo weren't worth 500 quid), and they came back within a day and said would we want them for free? Answer still no, so hoping they definitely take them with them when they go - better than freezers full of meat though!

Sorry for the epic, it's all getting a bit real now!
    Originally posted by treeny_bash

Suggest to them that they contact British Heart Foundation and ask to donate them if they just want rid.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Feb 18, 11:57 AM
    • 7,971 Posts
    • 38,720 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Welcome to the new folk Fingers crossed for all of you! Does indeed sound like an epic tale of woe in some cases

Treeny_bash - the very fact that you're on this site and listing your timeline suggests that you are more switched on than some of the people some of us are selling to Fingers crossed!

I vowed not to chase ANYONE today but to sit and wait patiently I was rewarded with an email from the seller's solicitor saying the farmer who lives over the way has confirmed that he removed the freezers yesterday Of course, I'll believe it when I see it - but I've met the farmer and know where he lives He wasn't the person who was meant to remove them before either...

Hope he's actually taken them somewhere proper rather than just dumped them in the road or something I really don't care any more

Seller's estate agent has been SO persistent (and annoying) in chasing us, I've now got her on the case chasing everyone else
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 6th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Iím beginning to lose hope myself after this morningís shenanigans! My solicitor and my sellerís solicitor agreed to put forward the 16th as a suggested completion date to the solicitor above us both in the chain. Iím now getting conflicting feedback from different parties:
    - our vendor has been told by his solicitor that his sellerís searches on her onward purchase will be back on the 8th and they will then be ready to proceed;
    - our vendorís estate agent says everything is fine and the top of the chain is vacant with no onward transaction to be linked in;
    - our vendorís solicitor has told MY solicitor (but not her client) she thinks there is another delay as the owner of the house at the top of the chain, which weíd been told is vacant, is actually looking for alternative accommodation!
    Argh! Why can no one communicate?? We might be moving on the 16th, or we might be another few months away if the top of the chain is trying to buy. The stress and uncertainty of this process is just overwhelming.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    • 7,971 Posts
    • 38,720 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh JaneyLouWho, what a palaver for you! I think the normal rules of politeness and professional behaviour seem to go out of the window in this process

Just had a text from our buyer - their buyer has paid his deposit and it has been received by the solicitor now they're just waiting for confirmation from his lender that they will be able to release the funds in time for completion What? Could that not have been checked before? I wouldn't mind if it was only a couple of days - but completion is set for 3 weeks away!!

Poor buyer is tearing her hair out, which strangely enough is keeping me calm - I'm always calmer if I know someone else is more stressed than I am

So it might be today but if they're waiting for communication from a building society it might be another fortnight
    • fozziebeartoo
    • By fozziebeartoo 6th Feb 18, 2:20 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 12,535 Thanks
    fozziebeartoo
    I have been avidly reading this thread for ages.

Thought I was finally in a position to join the thread myself as it seemed exchange was near but.....

Phone call today to say my Buyers Buyer has pulled out!

I feel so deflated

Her EA has lined up viewings already (they say ) but oh dear....

So I am so happy for the Exchangers and Completers on this thread, but please could all the other in limbo peeps shove over and make room for me
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 7,971 Posts
    • 38,720 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh no FozzieBearToo! That exact same thing happened to us too - our buyer's buyer pulled out in November, just after we'd all signed contracts and were ready to start talking dates

If it's any consolation, our buyers found a new buyer within a fortnight, and we're supposedly abut to exchange today (and yesterday, and last Friday, but certainly sometime soon )

Tis most vexing though The fiends!

Even those folks who have now exchanged and completed were hanging about in here for a good long time so you're in good company - pull up a chair
    • Natalie101
    • By Natalie101 6th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Natalie101
    Having read this thread for a little while, I honestly imaged I would never need to post as exchange was imminent. But it's still ongoing, so just to depress myself a little more, I'm going to try and work out the timeline of this ordeal.... for reference, I'm a FTB, no chain, and the apartment I'm buying is in vacant possession being an ex-buy to let.

11th September - Offer made
    12th September - Offer accepted
    14th September - Solicitor instructed
    20th September - Mortgage application
    22nd September - Valuation done
    27th September - Mortgage offer
    25th October - Seaches finished
    2nd November - Fixtures and Fittings form sent over to me
    2nd November-22nd November - File forgotten about by the solicitors due to a mix-up (I was chasing weekly but they didn't realise that nobody was looking at it)
    23rd November - Enquiries raised
    27th November - Pack sent out with search results
    12th December - Vendors solicitors come back with answers to just 4 of the 14 enquiries....
    ** CHRISTMAS **
    3rd January - Solicitor requests mortgage extension for me as it's a 4 month acceptance and due to expire January 15th
    5th January - Three enquries still outstanding, plus two additional ones
    10th January - Mortgage offer extended by one month
    24th January- Still two of the original enquiries outstanding, three weeks til my mortgage offer expires, so I take it upon myself to contact the council / management company and within 48 hours I have all the information for my solicitor....
    29th January - Solicitor now has everything she needs
    31st January - I go into the office to sign contract and review file, pay deposit, and send two sets of bank statements over as proof of funds, all is well
    1st February - Solicitor proposes 9th Feb as completion date to vendor's solicitor
    2nd February - Still no word from Vendors solictior - turns out she's gone on annual leave and not handed the file over to anybody.... seller kicks off, new solicitor is handling case, completion date of 9th Feb now agreed
    5th February- Meant to exchange, but at the last minute my solicitor asks for further proof of deposit funds (apparently 2 x sets of bank statements won't do) cue frantic rush around trying to gather proofs of inheritance
    AND THEN... my solcitor finds some application on the land registry from seller's solicitor - needs removing before we can exchange. Sellers solicitor says she will request it that afternoon, expects it to be done no later than when she gets into work the next day (i.e. today). Exchanged postponed
    6th February (today) - After the EA tries to get hold of the vendor's solicitor, she learns that she is off today, hasn't handed the case over to anybody, nothing the firm can do. Seller and myself at wits end

Apparently we will exchange tomorrow but honestly, both solicitors have been appalling... 22 weeks or 5 months in and we're not done yet!!

Good luck to everyone on this rollercoaster.....!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,450Posts Today

8,807Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Got a Help to buy ISA? You have an urgent decision to make or risk missing out on £1,000s. I explain in detail here? https://t.co/W5OJieZddJ

• URGENT warning to all prospective first time buyers. You need to decide NOW if you are moving your help to buy ISA? https://t.co/BDK21rkLL4

• Follow Martin