Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,218Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • #1
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

    A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!




    My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

    Sarah

    Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

    Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

    50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 103
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 9th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,540 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Tiglath - great news
    Sassysaver88 - almost there!
    First time buyers - I went into my bank and got them to make the payment for me so it was done correctly to the solicitors (they asked me to check the account with the solicitors and it was fine)
    littlebobo - you can order FENSA certs yourself for £20!
    Kate08 - flipping heck they are really messing you about - I would be on pins checking my phone - it will happen when you least expect it!

    My solicitors have sent the paperwork for land registry (to correct the boundary issue so we have to do that regardless of whether this sale goes through! Shame it wasn't done correctly 20 years ago!!
    They also said they have requested to the buyers solicitors that they don't approach any further suppliers until we have agreed a completion date - so I feel happy that I told them about the energy supply being switched - felt weird getting letters to someone else at our address prior to exchange - kind of fraudulent!! (I know its with the best intentions but you never know!)

    Fingers crossed on the responses that everything gets resolved quickly

    Continued good luck everyone!

    SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 9th Jan 18, 9:05 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    mutley74
    Just a question...last time i viewed the house I am in process of buying was mid November. If i am completing end of January, is there a need to view it before exchanging? (house is just 1 mile from where i live).

    (but if i meet the vendors again all they will do is whine, about price and dates - they accepted my price and dates because their solicitor is slow!).
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 9th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,540 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Hi Mutley - you don't need to view it but may want to for either measuring up curtains - or checking window/door locks for insurance purposes

    Can you ask to view when vendors not in via EA

    SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Jan 18, 11:21 PM
    • 7,907 Posts
    • 38,452 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    We visited a second time to measure (and take a heating engineer to check the boiler which was showing an error code(. However this has been dragging on since August and the house we're buying is empty and in the middle of nowhere so we"ll be visiting again before exhange just to check it's still standing
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 10th Jan 18, 9:44 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    Vendor is pushing for a speedy exchange and completion now, but we don't want to give notice to our landlord until we exchange.


    Even though we're spending thousands on the house, I really do begrudge having a month where we pay both rent and mortgage.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Jan 18, 10:06 AM
    • 7,907 Posts
    • 38,452 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    First time buyer - have you asked if they'd be willing to contribute to your rent to bring completion closer? I wouldn't be giving notice before exchange either, but being near the other end of the chain (and 5 months in after a chain collapse) I'd be more than willing to put something towards the rent of the people at the bottom of the chain if it meant actually being able to move more quickly! Worth asking
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 10th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    We thought that Cheery Daff, but we're not in a chain so I don't think we've enough leverage.


    Then to complicate matters, we've realised our landlord hasn't registered our deposit anywhere, and I think we're going to have problems when it comes to giving notice to him too - fun and games!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Jan 18, 11:04 AM
    • 7,907 Posts
    • 38,452 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh dear!

    I'd still say it's worth asking - if the people you're buying off want a shorter time between exchange and completion they might be willing to pay for it! (unless you're buying a new build of course...)

    Good luck!

    I'm going to chase for an update tomorrow - it'll be 6 weeks since our buyer found a new buyer after the first one pulled out. I know everything stopped for Christmas, but it would be nice to know if there had been any progress... We're 22 weeks in now from having our offer accepted.

    Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting... I ended up turning off email notifications to my phone altogether as I couldn't stand the stress and disruption to my working life Now I check once a day, usually around 2pm so if there's anything I can still respond during the same day (I'll usually check in the evening too).

    I also don't answer the phone to anyone other than my own estate agent or solicitor - cannot be doing with panicky grumpy phone calls from seller's estate agent while I'm at work asking me why someone else hasn't done something, why my solicitor won't answer the phone to her (he always does to me ), why the bank haven't issued the mortgage yet (like I know the answer to that!). She can send me an incompetently-written email instead and I'll answer it when I've calmed down!

    Sorry, just reliving the horror there from before the mortgage was approved Glad that's out of the way at least!
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 10th Jan 18, 11:07 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 3,994 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    All is explained on our side - our vendors are bonkers. Overwhelmed about the sales process, overwhelmed with life, mustn't be pressured, poor things.... I feel like I might be posting on this thread for quite a while, unless we find something better and more proceedable!

    £18,438/£42,500
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 10th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    I moved in yesterday after nearly a year of stress and worry. My first purchase fell through after 5 months, and this one took 1 month. It's not only better than the house I was buying, but was 5k cheaper. So don't lose faith if it isn't going well, sometimes things fall through for a reason.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • kates08
    • By kates08 10th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    kates08
    Another day with no exchange. Looks like it all may fall apart because two parties are being stubborn about paying for work, so we've decided that we'll call the EA in the morning and offer to pay if we can exchange this week. We can't really afford it, and it is nothing to do with us, but if rather pay it than lose everything we've already spent at this point. Just hope they won't be stubborn out of principal.

    Just as I was leaving work someone shouted across the office to ask how it was going and I properly burst into tears, really embarrassing! If I have one piece of advice to anyone just starting out it is to tell as few people as possible - at this stage the last thing you need is everyone asking about how it's going!
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 10th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    mutley74
    All is explained on our side - our vendors are bonkers. Overwhelmed about the sales process, overwhelmed with life, mustn't be pressured, poor things.... I feel like I might be posting on this thread for quite a while, unless we find something better and more proceedable!
    Originally posted by FloppyDisk
    my vendor kept saying "wife has had enough with viewings and workmen visiting for quotes" - only had 3 workmen visiting for quotes, each visit less than 10mins. But he seems to whine about everything!
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 10th Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 3,994 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    We have had 2 viewings. Not even going to attempt a survery until they find something yo move to - I imagine the process will speed up considerably at that point!
    Last edited by FloppyDisk; 10-01-2018 at 8:09 PM.

    £18,438/£42,500
    • SassySaver88
    • By SassySaver88 10th Jan 18, 8:44 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    SassySaver88
    omg
    I'm so pleased I have you guys who are all in this boat with me...

    This morning had a complete breakdown had been awake since 4 am unable to sleep and then had estate agents tell me the solicitor still hadn't sorted anything about the restriction on the land....it was too much...cried for ages...

    However, that was short lived, Had a phone call from my solicitor at lunchtime saying that there was movement and an redemption should be due...expected to exchange friday

    There is light at the end of this tunnel

    How is everyone???
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 11th Jan 18, 5:45 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Currently awaiting results of our buyer’s survey on our current property - cash buyers so hopefully if alls well (its a 200 year old property, cross fingers) then they can proceed quite quickly, solicitors already instructed and we’ve provided all the necessary paperwork. All quiet from the people we are purchasing from, but answers to solicitors enquiries are dripping in. I’m hoping that both transactions line up nicely for exchange and completion in February (half term woul be ideal, cross the rest of your fingers!)
    • tt07
    • By tt07 11th Jan 18, 7:13 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    tt07
    Just as I was leaving work someone shouted across the office to ask how it was going and I properly burst into tears, really embarrassing! If I have one piece of advice to anyone just starting out it is to tell as few people as possible - at this stage the last thing you need is everyone asking about how it's going!
    Originally posted by kates08
    We for the last few moves have just told very very few people until exchange is done, to totally avoid the constant how it’s going, good advice.

    Good luck with sorting the stubborn chain!!!
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 11th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    Sorry to hear of people's slow processes an ongoing issues. Just a quick word of encouragement to hang in there. We eventually moved just before Xmas after a long ordeal over summer, autumn and winter. I'm supposed to be looking for a job now but like to check in now and then to see how everyone's doing. J
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • kates08
    • By kates08 11th Jan 18, 9:29 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    kates08
    Solicitors have just rung for authority to exchange again, apparently the top of the chain has sorted itself out. I'm not going to hold my breath though as this has happened everyday this week and most of last week too...
    • mailmannz
    • By mailmannz 11th Jan 18, 10:40 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    mailmannz
    Vendor is pushing for a speedy exchange and completion now, but we don't want to give notice to our landlord until we exchange.


    Even though we're spending thousands on the house, I really do begrudge having a month where we pay both rent and mortgage.
    Originally posted by Firsttimebuyers
    FTB,

    We had this same situation with the people we were buying from.

    I didn't want to pay rent and mortgage for the same period of time and was prepared to complete next month when our lease ends BUT the vendor wanted to move now. In the end they agreed to pay our rent and we agreed to move now.

    But its the old, you won't know until you ask so ask them the question

    Regards

    Mailman
    • Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 11th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    FTB,

    We had this same situation with the people we were buying from.

    I didn't want to pay rent and mortgage for the same period of time and was prepared to complete next month when our lease ends BUT the vendor wanted to move now. In the end they agreed to pay our rent and we agreed to move now.

    But its the old, you won't know until you ask so ask them the question

    Regards

    Mailman
    Originally posted by mailmannz

    Cheers - might be worth mentioning that to our solicitor then when we go in signing everything ready for exchange on Monday.


    I keep thinking that we're paying £135k for a house, whats an extra £500 in rent to get moving sooner - but that £500 could go towards the things we need for the new house so why should we be the ones to lose out just because the vendors decided to try and speed things up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,514Posts Today

8,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @RobiMous2: Yesterday I saved myself £30 a month by switching utilities and cancelling a sim no one in the family used anymore. Inspired?

  • RT @elainelawro: @MartinSLewis When I lost my mum suddenly from a burst aneurysm on the brain I was unaware that my mum had signed up to do?

  • RT @AlisonKinder: @MartinSLewis I?m on my second kidney transplant in Thirty years. My life has been changed beyond recognition twice by th?

  • Follow Martin