Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,218Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • #1
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

    A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!




    My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

    Sarah

    Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

    Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

    50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 102
    • SassySaver88
    • By SassySaver88 8th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    SassySaver88
    I am here....barely...
    Really feeling a mind blag today...I need a hoilday but cannot afford one coz all the money we have has gone into a house we are not in!!!!!

    Breathe

    Sellers are slowwwwwww
    To slow for me...
    Im a doer...Hubs is a watcher lol
    Im a doer....
    I am organised and I like to know whats happening....

    Solictors had our life savings today....not even a thankyou
    1 enquiry i ended up sorting myself to the shock of the sellers solictor
    3 left....apparently done to be sent tomorrow
    All paperwork sent
    Just waiting on sellers to sign then apparently we're exchanged...

    officially losing the will to live
    How is everyone tonight?? xx
    • ceb1995
    • By ceb1995 8th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    ceb1995
    First time buyer joining in, we had our offer accepted on the 6th of december and surprisingly despite it being over christmas, our vendors are hoping that we complete on the 1st of feb. Our rental contract finishes at the end of march so we're not too worried if we complete a couple of weeks later.
    Make £2018 in 2018 challenge
    £22.09 /2018
    2018 Grocery Challenge:
    £99.31 /2220
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 9th Jan 18, 7:28 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 4,007 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Offer accepted two weeks ago, vendors still haven't picked a solicitor. Rightmove alerts are back on. No point in pulling out until we have something to move on to but I won't be holding my breath with this one!

    £18,438/£42,500
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 9th Jan 18, 8:52 AM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Realised last night that it's been 17 weeks since my offer was accepted.

    And my vendors said they wanted a quick sale! I'm ready and have been for a while
    Attempting to buy a house
    • Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 9th Jan 18, 9:23 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    Solicitors called yesterday, all queries are back bar two - which she's hopeful of getting this week.


    We're getting the fixtures and fittings info over today, and a list of available appointment dates to book in with them to go sign the contracts - we need to get booked in, in advance, as my partner works away a lot, then he can arrange to be at home.


    When do we send over the deposit? I assume it needs to be there before we sign the contracts ready to exchange? I'm scared of typing the bank details into my online banking and getting a number wrong, so considering getting a bankers draft instead - daft really, but read a few scare stories of people sending their savings to the wrong bank account!
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 9th Jan 18, 9:46 AM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Firsttimebuyers

    I set up a new account online to send to the sent £1. Once I knew they had that safely I sent the rest of the deposit.

    I signed my contracts ages before I sent my deposit - not that we have exchanged yet!
    Attempting to buy a house
    • Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 9th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    Firsttimebuyers

    I set up a new account online to send to the sent £1. Once I knew they had that safely I sent the rest of the deposit.

    I signed my contracts ages before I sent my deposit - not that we have exchanged yet!
    Originally posted by CommitedToChange

    I might do that then rather than pay the bank to do it for me, good idea thanks


    We're hopeful exchange is imminent, then we can tell our landlord we're leaving!
    • kates08
    • By kates08 9th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    kates08
    Floppy what is your sellers position? If they are looking for another house to move to then they may just want to wait for the chain to be complete before appointing a solicitor for both the sale and purchase.

    Firsttimebuyers the deposit will need to be with your solicitor before exchange, but signing the contracts might happen weeks before the exchange actually happens. Maybe ask for the transfer details in person when you go in to sign the contracts if your worried about scammers. If not then check well in advance that your solicitors are happy with a bankers draft and it won't slow anything down.

    No exchange for us yesterday, and it looks like our vendor isn't ready to exchange on her purchase (which she wasn't meant to be tieing in to our chain as she told us she was chain free and then decided to buy a flat) so who knows when it will happen. The bottom of the chain's mortgage offer expires next Friday so that was always our final deadline. It feels like it's all going wrong!
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 9th Jan 18, 10:16 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 4,007 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Thanks Kate, happy to wait for a chain to form but I don't think there is a need to delay providing the name of a solicitor as that holds up the memo of sale and confirmation of our offer being accepted. Perhaps I am bring picky?

    £18,438/£42,500
    • Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 9th Jan 18, 10:36 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    Thanks Kate - I'll ask the question when they get back to me today!


    Can the bottom of the chain not extend their mortgage offer?
    • martinlewisjunior
    • By martinlewisjunior 9th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    martinlewisjunior
    25h November 2017 -Offer made
    27th November 2017 - Offer accepted
    4th December 2017 - Mortgage Application made with Nationwide
    5th December 2017 - Solictors contacted and paid search fees
    6th December 2017 - Mortgage Application delayed due to broker incorrectly stating the deposit.
    8th December 2017 - Deffered due to Bonus not being two years and only one year
    11th December 2017 - Nationwide offered less because of the bonus, so had to provide a bigger deposit
    12th December 2017 - Broker made typo on deposit, stating £700 more than I mentioned. I left it and coughed up the extra cash!
    18th December 2017 - Valuation scheduled for the 22nd
    22nd December 2017- Valuation takes place
    27th December 2017 - Nationwide receive documents from valuers
    29th December 2017 - Valuers make an error on the form and Nationwide request the document to be amended.
    2nd January 2018 - Valuers amend document
    3rd January 2018 - Nationwide reviewing new documents/ waiting on decision
    9th January 2018 - Nationwide finally reviewed Valuation documents
    9th January 2018 - Mortgage Offer issued and sent in the post, Solictors contacted to let them know of changes in deposit, plus to let them know the mortgage offer is on the way.
    10th January 2018 - Paperwork received from sellers solictors, my solictor now reviewing documents/
    10th January 2018 - Sent paperwork over for proof of deposit.


    The wait to exchange continues...(plays intro to The Apprentice)
    Last edited by martinlewisjunior; 11-01-2018 at 4:40 PM.
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 9th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Kates08 - I feel your pain, my vendors said they were chain free and wanted a quick sale but now have an onwards purchase that is dragging. First it was in probate and now there is an issue with no building certs so waiting to see if the mortgage company will accept indemnety insurance. Now in week 17.

    Firstimebuyer - I just extended my mortgage becuase of the delays - but can only get one month. If I don't complete by the end of Jan I have to reapply with all the additional expenses that brings I will be lowering my offer if I have to reapply.

    Floppydisk - I don't think you're being picky, but Christmas might have delayed things - I'd expected it by this week at the very latest.
    Attempting to buy a house
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 9th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 4,007 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Thank you for the reality check, seeing in on rightmove still makes me nervous, even if we have been the only people interested! I don't quite understand people who don't have all their ducks in a sock before starting something like selling their own home!!

    £18,438/£42,500
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 9th Jan 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Thank you for the reality check, seeing in on rightmove still makes me nervous, even if we have been the only people interested! I don't quite understand people who don't have all their ducks in a sock before starting something like selling their own home!!
    Originally posted by FloppyDisk
    That's one I've not heard before

    The one I was trying to buy took ages to go to under offer on RM - even though I got the mos really fast. I hated that!
    Attempting to buy a house
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 9th Jan 18, 4:09 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Hi Littlebobo - what is the hold up if the house is vacant? I am on the flip side of this being a seller with vacant house and really just waiting for solicitors to do their job, not sure I can speed things up!

    Sure is frustrating though

    SLM
    Originally posted by spendinglikemad
    Apparently have been waiting on Fensa certs ..the irony is that all the windows are being replaced as most of them are naff anyway ...still have been told today that they should be in over the next few days and then waiting on report from solicitor with a view to exchanging ..we hope!
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 9th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    vicki2221
    Hello everyone. All a bit quiet on our move whilst searches are being done. We have a full building survey on our purchase going ahead on Friday. The surveyor will call us afterwards. I'm a bit nervous about it because the house is 500 years old and subsequently I am sure all sorts of bits and bobs will appear in the survey, but it's trying to work out which of those are actual problems. On face value the house looks beautiful and really well cared for, so we'll see.

    Seems like there is quite a few frustrated peeps on here, hope things start moving for you all.
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 9th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Another day gone by, hopefully others had news today. I'm still one of the frustrated ones.

    Not going to chase until Friday as I doubt there's any point. But I'm sick of jumping to look at emails when my phone pings in case it's news.
    Attempting to buy a house
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 9th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    mutley74
    Update - vendor has told my solicitor they want completion before the 26th Jan and exchange on the 12th. They are providing a building regulations indemnity insurance cover for me (which i still cant see why i need it), but wont answer the questions to get retrospective approval for an extension for the covenant restrictions on the house (council says it takes a week, but vendor not doing anything about it for a month!!). Not sure what will happen now, as i don't want the covenant risk passed to me (albeit unlikely council will take action on the extension).
    • kates08
    • By kates08 9th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    kates08
    Still frustrated here too Commited, I got a phone call at 11.30 this morning to say vendor was happy and had given authority to exchange today. Got mega excited and tried not to stare at my phone all day waiting for the call, solicitor rang at about 3pm to say vendor had asked their solicitor to hold fire again.

    Rang her EA and it turns out it's some minor disagreement about whether they or their vendor (the one we didn't know was part of our chain until we tried to exchange for the first time last week) were paying the £100ish to get something fixed. That makes it 5 working days in a row that we've been told we'll exchange today and our vendor has scuppered it.
    • Lolly88
    • By Lolly88 9th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    Lolly88
    Thanks Kate, happy to wait for a chain to form but I don't think there is a need to delay providing the name of a solicitor as that holds up the memo of sale and confirmation of our offer being accepted. Perhaps I am bring picky?
    Originally posted by FloppyDisk
    You're definitely not being too picky. They are existing homeowners and therefore would have used solicitors in the past so could appoint those or if not it doesn't take long to ring around for quotes and then appoint someone. I'd be skeptical of that being the real story. With my cynical hat on - have you got a friend to try calling the agents to express interest in the property to see if they decline further viewings and indicate that it is sold subject to contract?

    You're definitely doing the right thing by continuing your search, even if the vendors eventually pull their finger out and appoint solicitors... if that really is the issue then this doesn't bode well for what the rest of the process would be like with them.
    House Fund - £32104.67
    Currently buying a house
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

556Posts Today

5,320Users online

Martin's Twitter