Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,506Posts
    • 9,218Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!

My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

Sarah

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

Trying to move up the house ladder in 2017, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 101
    • This calls for cake
    • By This calls for cake 7th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    This calls for cake
    Going to join in if that's OK as fingers crossed we are going to be moving soonish! We accepted an offer on our property from first time buyers on 18/12 and got an offer accepted on the house we want to buy on 22/12. We have had memo of sale for both transactions, our buyers put their mortgage application in yesterday, I have a phone appointment with our mortgage provider - as we are porting our current deal - on Tuesday morning. We need to make the first payment to our solicitor so they can start doing the searches and things. Our vendors are moving to a new build and have had a completion date of Feb 26th, though I imagine there is likely to be a little slippage on that. We're hoping that things should be fairly straightforward as the chain is so small (fingers crossed!)
    Does anyone have any advice on the sort of survey we should get? We had the cheapest one done when we purchased this house as we were skint and naive! Not sure what to go for this time, obviously don't want to spend money we don't need to, but things aren't as tight this time so want to do the right thing not just the cheapest. The house was built in 1979, it had a ground floor extension put on in the early 80s before our vendor bought it, they have subsequently done a building regs compliant loft conversion somewhere around 15 years ago.
    Good luck to all awaiting the big move, and thanks in advance for any advice!
    • Lolly88
    • By Lolly88 7th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    Lolly88
    Going to join in if that's OK as fingers crossed we are going to be moving soonish! We accepted an offer on our property from first time buyers on 18/12 and got an offer accepted on the house we want to buy on 22/12. We have had memo of sale for both transactions, our buyers put their mortgage application in yesterday, I have a phone appointment with our mortgage provider - as we are porting our current deal - on Tuesday morning. We need to make the first payment to our solicitor so they can start doing the searches and things. Our vendors are moving to a new build and have had a completion date of Feb 26th, though I imagine there is likely to be a little slippage on that. We're hoping that things should be fairly straightforward as the chain is so small (fingers crossed!)
    Does anyone have any advice on the sort of survey we should get? We had the cheapest one done when we purchased this house as we were skint and naive! Not sure what to go for this time, obviously don't want to spend money we don't need to, but things aren't as tight this time so want to do the right thing not just the cheapest. The house was built in 1979, it had a ground floor extension put on in the early 80s before our vendor bought it, they have subsequently done a building regs compliant loft conversion somewhere around 15 years ago.
    Good luck to all awaiting the big move, and thanks in advance for any advice!
    Originally posted by This calls for cake
    Building surveys are recommended for houses with extensions/ significantly altered. So if you are prepared to pay for it then go for that. It's often not that significantly more expensive than the homebuyers survey anyway.
    House Fund - £32104.67
    Currently buying a house
    • SassySaver88
    • By SassySaver88 7th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    SassySaver88
    Anyone else seriously excited that tomorrow is monday and the weekend is over??
    So solictors and home buyers can crack on lol
    • kates08
    • By kates08 8th Jan 18, 7:35 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    kates08
    Haven't slept a wink and feel a bit sick this morning. Another day of trying to get buyer and seller to agree on a completion date so we can exchange. I don't know what will happen if neither of them back down! Our buyers preferred date was this Friday and we've now said we can't achieve that as we didn't exchange last week so hopefully they'll be the ones to compromise.
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 8th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    I am so fed up of waiting and bloody waiting what's annoying us the most is that the house we are moving to is vacant yet hey are the ones taking forever ! the rest of us are all ready now !
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 8th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 1,547 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    I am so fed up of waiting and bloody waiting what's annoying us the most is that the house we are moving to is vacant yet hey are the ones taking forever ! the rest of us are all ready now !
    Originally posted by Littlebobo1981
    Hi Littlebobo - what is the hold up if the house is vacant? I am on the flip side of this being a seller with vacant house and really just waiting for solicitors to do their job, not sure I can speed things up!

Sure is frustrating though

SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • LitteButterfly500
    • By LitteButterfly500 8th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    LitteButterfly500
    Iím feeling quite disheartened this evening.
    Went to see my solicitor this afternoon with the intention of signing contracts and settting a date for exchange.
    However going I had 1 query I was still waiting for a reply on.
    The vendor has not come up with a satisfactory response to that so back to batting that back and forth between the solicitors.
    But a much bigger issue has also arisen.
    Solicitor got the title deed out from the land registry out and something didnít look right to me. The house is quite unique in that it has a garden that is much bigger than all its neighbours. All the properties on the road have gardens which are approximately the same width as the house going straight back with a common access road separating the houses and the gardens. But the one Iím trying to purchase has a garden twice as wide. Appearing to have subsumed the garden of the property on the left. Therefore I thought when we got to see the title deed it would either show a kind of weird stuck on bit to the side or a separate deed for that bit of the garden, but it wasnít there. So then the solicitor checked the land registry and it would appear that part garden still appear on the title for the property next door.
    I suspect ththat vendor doesnít even know this themself as they bought the property at low price and have done the place up for a quick sale.
    Iím really struggling to see how it moves forward. Either they do own it and something is very wrong with the land registry or their neighbour now owns a garden they didnít realise belong to them. The only way I can see proceeding forward with the sale is if they can either buy the land now from tha current owners or I will have to ask them to significantly reduce the value of the property. I would assume this will also require a revaluation from the mortgage company seeing as the property is no longer on as much land as it appear.
    Iím scared that I will have to drop out of the sale and start again which is so demoralising when I was all mentally prepared for the move in the next couple of weeks. I just really donít have the enthusiasm to start all over again, searching through Rightmove everyday, making offer and getting rejected!!!
    Originally posted by LitteButterfly500
    It's looking like I'm back to square one. The estate agent rang today to say that the vendor had taken out an indemnity policy for the buildings works, to me these things are worthless its structural survey or nothing, something they seem unwilling to do.
    But the bigger issue of the garden continues. apparently it is a "shared garden" something I've only just been made aware of. I'm calling BS on this, the vendor showed me round the garden and was very proud of the space and having put new fences up and showed an area for compost bins etc, if it was a shared garden I feel like they would have pointed it out then. And it definitely wasn't stated as a shared garden in the estate agents advert, it was marketed as a generous rear garden with off road parking, never once seen the word shared. In fact this hasn't been mentioned until 3 months in. I get the feeling the vendor has just discovered he doesn't actually own everything that they think they do and has created a story. if it is the case and this is shared garden I will be withdrawing from the sale as the property will not be worth anywhere near as much money as I've offered at and I feel the vendor will not fulfil the other enquiries I've had about the place.
    Do I have a case to get the money I have already spent back from the estate agent due to misrepresentation? after all they are duty bound by a number of acts to ensure that the property they advertise is actually what is available for sale.
    • skatealexia
    • By skatealexia 8th Jan 18, 11:28 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    skatealexia
    The estate agents are being so frustrating. No reply yet to my needing to lower the offer because of the valuation despite me ringing Thursday, Friday and this morning. There are also various certificates I need to see with regards to servicing and the entire garage needs replacing. Not impressed so far
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 8th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Afternoon all - sorry to see so many post with issues this morning.

So much for our happy new year let's move wish!

I don't know whether to chase or just wait today, sol is waiting on vendors to sort something on their forward purchase. I'm 100% ready to go. Gave the EA a call on Friday to make sure my vendors know I've got to complete by end of month - might give her another call around 2 to see if she spoke to them.

I need to hand in my rental notice tomorrow or I will have a 6 week overlap (assuming we actually complete in Jan Which I'm not)

Sigh. This is all very frustrating
    Attempting to buy a house
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 38,466 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh dear, so many frustrated folks in here today! Have a hug the lot of you (and a large gin)

We are now in week 22 since our offer was accepted (week 26 since we sold ours!) Yawn yawn yawn. Just over 5 weeks since our buyer found a new buyer for their house after the original one pulled out. All just sitting around waiting for them now - I suppose five weeks isn't that long in the grand scheme of things, especially as it includes Christmas.

Still - yawn. Hoping to move this side of Christmas 2018.

Little Butterfly - sadly I suspect you'd have no comeback against the estate agents - they'll say they can only give you the info their client gives to them. That's why we have everything checked by solicitors before we commit I suppose! Good luck, sounds like a ridiculous situation.

Skatealexia - might be that the vendor hasn't made up their mind about whether to accept, rather than the estate agent being crap (not trying to defend them in any way!! If you want to reduce your offer that will likely have implications for their finances that they need to sort out (will they be able to afford their new house? They might be trying to negotiate a discount on that before they know whether they can accept your reduction).

Very frustrating indeed. Let's hope some of us have some good news soon!!
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • skatealexia
    • By skatealexia 8th Jan 18, 12:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    skatealexia
    So seller won't reduce their offer so far (they have inherited a house), and are sticking with it. My independent survey has come back and actually valued it on our offer but made a comment that it is higher than surrounding properties so maybe I need to petition the bank, but there are a few issues what need addressing in the house - garage needs rebuilding etc and with the bank valuing it less I'm trying to get them to reduce their offer first
    • LitteButterfly500
    • By LitteButterfly500 8th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    LitteButterfly500
    Oh dear, so many frustrated folks in here today! Have a hug the lot of you (and a large gin)

Little Butterfly - sadly I suspect you'd have no comeback against the estate agents - they'll say they can only give you the info their client gives to them. That's why we have everything checked by solicitors before we commit I suppose! Good luck, sounds like a ridiculous situation.

Very frustrating indeed. Let's hope some of us have some good news soon!!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    All so very frustrating! my solicitor thinks we have a potential route to claim against the vendor for misrepresentation. The situation seems to be bordering on the ridiculous at the moment. Guess I better get back on right move
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 8th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Oh good - my vendors are waiting to see if their mortgage company will accept indemnity insurance as none of the work done on their onwards purchase has building regs.

*headdesk*
    • kates08
    • By kates08 8th Jan 18, 4:07 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    kates08
    I spoke to my solicitor this morning and he was fairly confident that we could exchange today, but I've heard nothing so I presume that we haven't exchanged again. No call to explain or anything though so I have no idea what is going on. Why can people not communicate at all? Drives me mad!
    Would you call again before the end of the day or leave it until tomorrow?
    • BlueTwiglet
    • By BlueTwiglet 8th Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    BlueTwiglet
    Hello!

I have been lurking here for a while but I thought Iíd post my timeline also; Iím feeling rather stressed about it all and could do with sharing my experience in the company of people in a similar position to me at the moment. I feel like Iím boring everybody around me as itís all I can currently think about, to the point where Iím starting to have recurring dreams (or nightmares) about it all going wrong!

Long story short, I split up with my other half and we are in the process of selling our property, the mortgage of which is in both our names. We do not have any dependants which has made this easier.

My ex-partner is moving in with his new partner and I am temporarily living with my parents. The sale of our house is funding the purchase of my new property, which is empty, so there is no real chain.

Our first EA was pretty shoddy to say the least (including not turning up for a viewing and not really updating us after viewings). We had to chase them a lot Ė needless to say it was a long twenty weeks with them!

Iím quite a way along in the process so I apologise for the War and Peace timeline below.

26/05/2017 Ė property goes up for sale with first EA.
    19/10/2017 Ėcontract ended with first EA and we go with another EA.
    21/10/2017 Ė first viewing with new EA.
    23/10/2017 Ė offer received from first viewing with new EA, which we accepted. They are FTB but the EA explained they were waiting for the rest of the deposit to be evidenced so there may be a bit of a delay. The FTB were expecting to be able to evidence this in November and we agreed to wait for this to come through.
    24/10/2017 Ė solicitors instructed to deal with the sale.
    01/11/2017 Ė AIP received. I submit an offer for a property, which is accepted by the vendor. I instruct the same solicitors to deal with my purchase.
    07/11/2017 Ė the EA for the property I offered on calls me to explain the vendor, despite accepting my initial offer, had accepted a higher offer which was submitted two days after mine was accepted. First experience of being gazumped!
    13/11/2017 Ė offer submitted on second property, which is accepted. I inform solicitors to change the purchase address.
    23/11/2017 Ė EA confirm surveyor instructed in respect of the sale, due to go ahead on 3rd December.
    14/12/2017 Ė draft contracts received by solicitors in relation to my purchase and searches ordered
    18/12/2017 Ė enquiries raised by FTB received by solicitor
    19/12/2017 Ė I ask my solicitors if there was anything further I needed to do in respect of the purchase as they kept noting they were waiting for my mortgage offer. They confirmed I didnít need to do anything and this would come from the mortgage company directly. I emailed my broker as a pre-caution, only to have him call me immediately to say we needed to submit the mortgage application. Admittedly, this was an oversight on my part (to say the least!) Ė I am not a FTB but when I purchased my house with my ex-partner, I was quite young and my parents helped me quite a bit. Not really an excuse and was definitely a learning curve!
    20/12/2017 Ė meeting with mortgage broker. Our solicitors confirm our buyers have received their mortgage offer.
    21/12/2017 Ė mortgage options discussed with broker and survey instructed (Homebuyers). Property searches received and reviewed for purchase, posted out to me.
    29/12/2017 Ė we receive outstanding enquiries from our buyers along with TR1 form to sign in respect of the sale.
    03/01/2018 Ė I email our solicitors with the answers to the queries and deliver a copy of signed TR1 to their offices.
    04/01/2018 Ė Homebuyers report received for purchase. Nothing major noted (property is about 120 years old and is in need of some modernisation) apart from evidence of wood-boring infestation but couldnít confirm if this was a live infestation or not.
    05/01/2018 Ė I email solicitor with my enquiries from the Homebuyers report.
    08/01/2018 Ė solicitors confirm they are due to review our responses to the FTB queries. Sols also confirm they have forwarded my enquiries relating to the Homebuyers report to the vendor in respect of my purchase. TR1 also signed and delivered to their offices in respect of the purchase.

So far, I feel that everything has been progressing rather smoothly, especially given the house Iím purchasing is being dealt with on probate. Iím currently waiting for a copy of my mortgage offer and to see if the responses Iíve supplied in respect of the sale are adequate. Hopefully, from what Iíve read and learned from this forum, the next steps after receiving the mortgage offer and ensuring all enquiries are dealt with would be looking to agree exchange and completion dates.

Whilst I look calm on the outside, Iím starting to feel the pressure on the inside! My ex-partner isnít very good at dealing with the house sale and has left most of it to me; coupled with the fact Iím dealing with a purchase by myself, I feel that I'm carrying the burden at the moment.

I donít want to feel like Iím grizzling as there are other posters on here who have had some really tough times with their purchases/sales, but I just needed to get everything off my chest!
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 8th Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Kates08 - I'd call today - since he was confident you'd exchange.
    • kates08
    • By kates08 8th Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    kates08
    Kates08 - I'd call today - since he was confident you'd exchange.
    Originally posted by CommitedToChange
    I rang and got his answerphone so have left him a message saying that as I haven't heard I'm presuming we haven't exchanged and if he could let me know if there was an issue or what the hold-up is.
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 8th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 3,531 Posts
    • 11,486 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Major progress - just waiting for our buyer's solicitors to finish searches and then the whole chain is ready to exchange, and probably complete 1st week Feb. Massively excited!
    https://kentishadventure.com
    • bazza_white
    • By bazza_white 8th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bazza_white
    its taken 3 weeks to comeback with a decline offer . i was hoping to be filling in the paperwork by now
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 8th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Bazza_white

Declined offer on what? You've never posted in here before.

House offer? Mortgage?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,045Posts Today

9,768Users online

Martin's Twitter