Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peco141
    • By Peco141 27th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 246Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Peco141
    POA for mum in Scotland
    • 27th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    POA for mum in Scotland 27th Jul 17 at 12:13 PM
    My mum has cancer and has had a stroke. She is home but wheelchair bound with limited mobility.

How do we go about getting a POA in place when she cannot travel to a solicitors office?
Page 2
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 28th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 3,739 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    sheramber
    If the person is not mentally capable you have to apply to the Court of Protection to be able to take over their affairs

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/if-the-person-you-want-to-help-has-lost-mental-capacity
    • Peco141
    • By Peco141 28th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Peco141
    I actually missed the whole point in the POA tbh. We managed to set up the appointment with the solicitor at the hospital the day my mum found out the cancer had spread to the brain. I didn't not consider at that time that her time would be limited and that POA would not really have been necessary.

I just got mixed up with everything.
    Last edited by Peco141; 12-10-2017 at 11:11 PM.
    • Peco141
    • By Peco141 12th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Peco141
    For information sake my mum is now in a critical condition, cannot swallow never mind speak and has only days left and the POA has still not arrived.

I take it a refund is out the question.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 13th Oct 17, 8:54 AM
    • 3,046 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    Malthusian
    For information sake my mum is now in a critical condition, cannot swallow never mind speak and has only days left and the POA has still not arrived.

I take it a refund is out the question.
    Originally posted by Peco141
    Most likely. They've already done the work and that work has to be paid for. They could hardly say "No, we can't arrange a POA for your mum, she'll probably die soon and then you'll want your money back".

Are there not more important things to think about?

The delay is likely to be on the part of the Office of the Public Guardian - the solicitors have no control over it. I assume the power of attorney is being registered and this typically takes 8 to 10 weeks.

I don't think anyone answered your question last month about cost - no, that's not excessive for a POA and updating a Will.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,648Posts Today

8,399Users online

Martin's Twitter