Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 26th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 142Posts
    • 50Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News: No water fountains in more than HALF of UK airports
    • 26th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: No water fountains in more than HALF of UK airports 26th Jul 17 at 2:18 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com is calling on 18 UK international airports to offer free drinking water fountains to passengers in their departure lounges...
    Read the full story:
    'No water fountains in more than HALF of UK airports'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 5th Aug 17, 12:00 PM
    • 9,448 Posts
    • 10,614 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Pubs and restaurants that serve alcohol already have to give free tap water, you'll find plenty of them at any airport. So what's the big deal?
    Originally posted by zagfles
    This doesn't apply to any pubs or restaurants that are in the departure area of any UK airport.
    Airside establishments are not covered by the relevant legislation that states free tap water must be provided (Licensing act 2003) which is why they can't be prosecuted for serving underage customers.

They may well provide water but they are under no legal obligation to do so.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 5th Aug 17, 3:50 PM
    • 12,261 Posts
    • 10,203 Thanks
    zagfles
    This doesn't apply to any pubs or restaurants that are in the departure area of any UK airport.
    Airside establishments are not covered by the relevant legislation that states free tap water must be provided (Licensing act 2003) which is why they can't be prosecuted for serving underage customers.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Cool! I'll get my 10 year old to buy a round next time
    They may well provide water but they are under no legal obligation to do so.
    They do. As do coffee bars that don't even have any obligation to whether airside or landside. IME.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 5th Aug 17, 5:16 PM
    • 9,448 Posts
    • 10,614 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Cool! I'll get my 10 year old to buy a round next time
    Maybe not 10 year olds, but it does happen:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8061829/Departure-lounge-pubs-able-to-sell-alcohol-to-under-age-teenagers.html
    • The-Truth
    • By The-Truth 6th Aug 17, 7:55 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    The-Truth
    I can afford to buy water, but I think it is a wasteful and bad for the environment
    Originally posted by mikael
    That coming from someone about to board a plane and thinks nothing of it!
    • The-Truth
    • By The-Truth 6th Aug 17, 7:59 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    The-Truth
    Signposted free cold water facilities in the main retail area and near each group of gates should be a mandatory licensing condition for all UK airport operators.

The problem is particularly acute on cattle class long haul flights where it may be a couple of hours into a flight in a packed and sweltering cabin before water is offered, and even longer since clearing pre-flight security.

There is a clear conflict of interest between providing such free water and the percentage of tenant retail takings that the operator enjoys from its resident retailers. Unregulated most have plumbed the "rest rooms" with hot water only to boost the takings.

Regulate them now.
    Originally posted by BodMor
    Lovely.

Higher flight costs for us all then!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Aug 17, 8:49 AM
    • 17,643 Posts
    • 44,940 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I would prefer the option of buying a bottle of water at the airport rather than having to pay higher flight costs because airports have been 'regulated' to provide free water for passengers and are recouping those costs (and more).

If anyone bothers to read the article in the original post, most airports who don't provide drinking water say to ask in restaurants/bars.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 08-08-2017 at 8:53 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • The-Truth
    • By The-Truth 7th Aug 17, 9:34 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    The-Truth
    Every Airport I've been to has a cold tap in the disabled toilets if you're really that desperate.

But you don't get it though do you. Every Airline is charged by the Airport to be there. If you regulate the Airports for this then they will simply pass on the costs which the Airlines will then have to pick up.

Yes it will mean higher flight costs for everyone!

Can you not do like everyone else does eg find a free or cheap way of buying your water or have we all got to put up with higher flight costs because of people like you who want everything regulated?
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 08-08-2017 at 8:53 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Aug 17, 7:17 AM
    • 17,643 Posts
    • 44,940 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm with The-Truth about the cost of all this regulation being passed onto us as passengers.
    I'm happy buying my 2 bottles of water from Boots at 2 for £2.

Each to their own and all that.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 8th Aug 17, 9:46 AM
    • 18,505 Posts
    • 42,455 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Me too.

I wouldn't want to fill a bottle with water from a drinking fountain that 1000's of unknown people could have had their mouths over. What a germ fest that would be. Maybe that's why they don't have them.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • thamestrader
    • By thamestrader 16th Aug 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    thamestrader
    Bod Mor seems to be the sensible contributor. The rest of you are clearly middle class rich with time on your hands. Drinking water provision is a basic essential. This is an excellent campaign. I am so glad money saving expert supports this kind of action. (Mixer taps in wash rooms is the new way operators seek to maximise water sales.) It is a scandal.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 16th Aug 17, 12:44 PM
    • 18,505 Posts
    • 42,455 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Bod Mor seems to be the sensible contributor. The rest of you are clearly middle class rich with time on your hands. Drinking water provision is a basic essential. This is an excellent campaign. I am so glad money saving expert supports this kind of action. (Mixer taps in wash rooms is the new way operators seek to maximise water sales.) It is a scandal.
    Originally posted by thamestrader
    Yes, because you can't expect people to think for themselves or take responsibility for themselves in a nanny state can you.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Aug 17, 2:01 PM
    • 17,643 Posts
    • 44,940 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Originally posted by thamestrader
    Of course we are, dahling.
    And welcome to MSE.

And being 'middle class rich' I guess we can afford the higher flight prices.

Lovely.

Higher flight costs for us all then!
    Originally posted by The-Truth
    I would prefer the option of buying a bottle of water at the airport rather than having to pay higher flight costs because airports have been 'regulated' to provide free water for passengers and are recouping those costs (and more).

If anyone bothers to read the article in the original post, most airports who don't provide drinking water say to ask in restaurants/bars.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Not sure where the 'time on your hands' comes in though.
    • mertonwall
    • By mertonwall 17th Aug 17, 9:50 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mertonwall
    Jersey's water fountain is in departures, after the bar, to the right in duty free, between the loos
    • reehsetin
    • By reehsetin 17th Aug 17, 10:08 AM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 4,545 Thanks
    reehsetin
    Yes it's not a big deal to get water from a bar or restaurant but it's a symptom of something much bigger, I regularly fly to a european airport and when you walk through their airport there's a night and day difference with ours. A ton of comfortable seating available all around the airport, a library / reading space, sockets clearly available etc, it's almost fun to walk around the airport. The approach we take here is to make you so miserable that you'll want to take refuge in a god awful pub at 6am.
    Yes Your Dukeiness
    • EpicFishFingers
    • By EpicFishFingers 16th Sep 17, 7:08 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    EpicFishFingers
    Luton airport water
    Here's what the Luton airport water fountains look like, for anyone that cares.

Duty free area was rammed but noone else came anywhere near these

imgur [dot] com/9NpXiPY
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 16th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 18,505 Posts
    • 42,455 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Yes it's not a big deal to get water from a bar or restaurant but it's a symptom of something much bigger, I regularly fly to a european airport and when you walk through their airport there's a night and day difference with ours. A ton of comfortable seating available all around the airport, a library / reading space, sockets clearly available etc, it's almost fun to walk around the airport. The approach we take here is to make you so miserable that you'll want to take refuge in a god awful pub at 6am.
    Originally posted by reehsetin
    Yes, Schiphol is very nice, however, swathes of European airports are far, far worse than ours, with some being nothing more than sheds with a bar. Firenze, Bremen, CDG, Rome LdV, most of the bucket & spade airports are all bloody awful.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 16th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 12,261 Posts
    • 10,203 Thanks
    zagfles
    Yes, Schiphol is very nice, however, swathes of European airports are far, far worse than ours, with some being nothing more than sheds with a bar. Firenze, Bremen, CDG, Rome LdV, most of the bucket & spade airports are all bloody awful.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    I prefer a shed with a bar to the typical UK airport - where you pay a fortune to park, or get fined if you drop-off in the wrong place, where you can queue for ages at security and then get told solid rock is actually liquid, where you are forced to walk through a shop selling overpriced perfume to get to your gate, by which time you need a drink but the bar is full of drunks in fancy dress on a hen/stag do, when you finally do get served you've spent your daily holiday spend just on a round...

Yes a shed with a bar sound like paradise!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 16th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 18,505 Posts
    • 42,455 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I prefer a shed with a bar to the typical UK airport - where you pay a fortune to park, or get fined if you drop-off in the wrong place, where you can queue for ages at security and then get told solid rock is actually liquid, where you are forced to walk through a shop selling overpriced perfume to get to your gate, by which time you need a drink but the bar is full of drunks in fancy dress on a hen/stag do, when you finally do get served you've spent your daily holiday spend just on a round...

Yes a shed with a bar sound like paradise!
    Oh yes, it's great when multiple flights are delayed and they run out of food and drink and the departure area resembles a street in Calcutta filled with thousands of sweaty people trying to share 20 seats. Absolute paradise.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 16th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 12,261 Posts
    • 10,203 Thanks
    zagfles
    Oh yes, it's great when multiple flights are delayed and they run out of food and drink and the departure area resembles a street in Calcutta filled with thousands of sweaty people trying to share 20 seats. Absolute paradise.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Never happened to me. No security queues, no crowds, no hassle. Park right outside with no charge. Pub priced drinks.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 17th Sep 17, 5:27 AM
    • 7,138 Posts
    • 13,051 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    At East Midlands now.

They do have water fountains at the back of the security area by the benches you repack your hand luggage.

Maybe you need to update your article
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,899Posts Today

3,800Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin