Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 14,902Posts
    • 48,047Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow
    • 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow 25th Jul 17 at 11:47 PM
    Hello,

I used to post here loads and loads, I have been debt free since 2011 but I am due dental work (yes finally!) and need glasses and work done on the car, the house and the garden so am going to do a 0% balance transfer if I can time everything right and then work very hard on paying it off.

I do have some savings but they are staying as an emergency fund, I like the security they give me. Plus they may well not be enough. In the back of my mind I think I am due a tax rebate as well, not had time to investigate yet.

Some things have changed and some things stay the same. As a family we are having a very hard time and that is partly why I am back, I need a reminder not spend all the time and to try to find the cheapest ways to do things. Especially eating.

Lately I have been buying things from Amazon like it doesn't cost me a thing and do not even get me started on the contactless payment option.....it is really bad!!

I get paid tomorrow so a little sort out of the budgets and then an investigation of 0% BT offers.

Love

Buffy
    Saving all the money.............really I am !
Page 8
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Nov 17, 9:59 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,146 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad things have stabilised with BIL. It must be hard for him, it's all happened so quickly. It really sounds like deja vu with Mr SA, one minute perfectly ok, the next desperately ill.

Not so good news with the car

Take care Buffster xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 20th Nov 17, 8:24 PM
    • 14,902 Posts
    • 48,047 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Quick update.

BIL seems to be refusing food, Sister shattered.

I had a pitiful day at work that brought home many things. I was happier at this school and felt quite in control and ok but as dear old Ofsted looms (two years mind!) that is lessening, the strain of the new GCSEs and the generally lack of decent teachers plus ludicrous expectations (which on their own, tho mental and silly are doable) and pointless training that makes you want to weep in frustration.

And I do mean pitiful. I feel dreadful for new teachers. It is a mess.

I must consider my pension. And that Mum is depressed and I am depressed.

today plus BIL not doing well. It has wiped me out.

Still got books to mark though. hmm
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 20th Nov 17, 8:49 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,146 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sorry to hear about BIL. Hope he feels up to eating again soon.

I think most public sector jobs are in a mess at the moment. Too much red tape, lack of funds and pointless training. However, education should be a priority, it's not good
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 21st Nov 17, 8:24 PM
    • 14,902 Posts
    • 48,047 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Brother in law back on oxygen, spent most the day asleep, sister spoke to him for a few minutes. the rest of the time he was asleep. This is not good. I think obviously he is hugely depressed and his coping mechanism is sleep? I know that sounds trite. I don't even know what I mean, the pain and loss for him and my sister is immense.

Work is being squeezed out by the bil situation which is as it should be but it has made me realise I only make time for a crisis. My life should be as important. And it is not. And even going all out for the job is not enough.

So what is the bloody point?

answer - there isn't one.

So plan.

I will stay for the next 8 months, so I can see the yr11 through and be paid over the summer.

Meanwhile, finish the decluttering.

1. Conservatory
    2. Shed
    3. Shed
    4. Shed
    5. Spare room
    6. Loft
    7. Sell items
    8. Finish garden
    9. Help Mum with kitchen and her room.

And

check PPI.
    Sort out tax.
    get back to tutoring.
    Save.

Future plans
    Investigate dog walking, part time LSA and part time Supply. I want a patch work income ideally. I will probably work full time till Christmas 2018 and from there aim to patchwork it.

One of my dearest friends who I have lost really due to my job has been SO brave over the last few years and it has really paid off for her, new baby (a miracle given her age) and a new man (also a miracle!) and gave up teaching.

Plus another dear friend who had the most amazing holiday this year.
    Out is the way through

I want to clear the bottom of the stairs (my bit of decluttering tonight. )

XXX
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 21st Nov 17, 9:18 PM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Buffy,
    Just seen your new thread and had a very quick read.
    I am so very sorry that you and your family are going through such a hard time.
    Nothing much to say that can make it any better for you so just sending love and hugs.
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/04/17 £66,996=7.62%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £173,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 22nd Nov 17, 11:30 AM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 26,830 Thanks
    in need of direction
    glad you have a plan. in the short term though can you carve out some time for you each month? please?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Midgetgem82
    • By Midgetgem82 22nd Nov 17, 1:08 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Midgetgem82
    Hi Buffy
    Just read through your diary and wanted to send big hugs to you and your family.
    I do agree with the above post and think you do need to take time out for yourself, even if it is just once a month for your own personal wellbeing x
    DEBT FREE WANNABE
    H+M £72.89 NEXT £319.56 22.9%APR BARCLAY CARD £352.90 26.43%APR ARGOS CARD£38.26/ £698.02 29.9%APR VERY £221.19/ £1825.21 47.9%APR
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 24th Nov 17, 9:12 PM
    • 14,902 Posts
    • 48,047 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Thanks everyone XXX So I tried to declutter the bottom of the stairs but the dog had an upset tummy and threw up and vomited in the conservatory. It must have been there a while as it was well soaked into the rug

After that my week got sort of worse and sort of better. BIL refused more treatment - I mean he isn't saying no as such but is asleep and has shouted at the nurses a few times. One nurse commented he has gone down hill since he came to that hospital. but they are keen to help, trying lots of things.....

but work has been better.

i made popcorn so will finish this later xxx
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 24th Nov 17, 9:21 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,146 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad work is better BIL doesn't know what he's doing at the moment, he can be excused as he's so poorly.

Hope this weekend is a better one for you xx
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 26th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 14,902 Posts
    • 48,047 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I went out last night and had a really good time which was great but have woken up today feeling guess what? ILL.

horrible horrible HORRIBLE stomachache.

I am assuming it is was hotdog. Street food doesn't agree with me. Clearly! But on the other hand I feel rotten any way if that makes sense. Couldn't ring my doctors last week too busy at work. What do you guys think of me going with a list? I get too embarrassed to tell the doctor everything.

Have to get my sister in a bit so I am watching a bad Vince Vaughan movie till then.

Mum is stressed out and reverting to treating me like a child - told me off for opening a packet of biscuits this morning. So that was fun.

It really is a bad film.

XXX
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Nov 17, 5:05 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,026 Thanks
    beanielou
    Make a double appointment for GP.
    Take list xxx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Nov 17, 9:14 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,146 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Take the list, get it sorted. It's what they're paid for.

Stay away from hot dogs xx
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 26th Nov 17, 10:59 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 26,830 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I've previously taken a list, it's been really useful as I then noted the response to each item raised.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 7/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 1st Dec 17, 3:00 PM
    • 14,902 Posts
    • 48,047 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    well..........Definitely need the doctors. Had a dentist appointment this morning but couldn't go. I don't know if I am ill or if it was the anxiety about the dentist but I was so ill. tummy and vomiting

I feel awful and have been asleep most of the day. I do wonder if this is the replacement for the migraines or some part of the migraines as have a stunning head ache now. I know people can get stomach migraines. And I was so frightened about going to the dentist.

What a rotten day

xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Dec 17, 3:24 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,026 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry that you have had a rotten day Buffy xx
    Take care.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 1st Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,146 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sounds awful

Get well soon xx
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 1st Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 7,282 Posts
    • 9,085 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Why hello young lady! Long time no see! You still plagued by giant snails???

EDIT
    Read back AFTER that comment. So sorry you are having a bad time. Your poor BIL! It is amazing the treatment though. My Dad is coming up on his third anniversary of a BM transplant. He was SO ill but 8 months after diagnosis was back to work. Speak to the Marie Curie nurse that will have been allocated. She is there for family as well as the patient.
    Last edited by Lucifa73; 01-12-2017 at 9:48 PM.
    80/20 - Life is to be enjoyed, not endured
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,026 Thanks
    beanielou
    Why hello young lady! Long time no see! You still plagued by giant snails???
    Originally posted by Lucifa73

You are never going to live that one down Buffy!

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd Dec 17, 2:49 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi Buffy

I'm just back on here after a big break from being online outside of working hours. Just want to send you a lot of love - things are so hard at the moment and it sounds to me as though you need a really big rest and a break from things. I can relate with the whole education situation at the moment but you have all the other stuff as well.

Hope you're feeling a bit better soon.
    x
    RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 3rd Dec 17, 4:37 PM
    • 14,902 Posts
    • 48,047 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer

You are never going to live that one down Buffy!
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Nope, I am really not

xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter