Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 14,995Posts
    • 48,651Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow
    • 25th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    Buffy Keeps on the Straight and Narrow 25th Jul 17 at 11:47 PM
    Hello,

I used to post here loads and loads, I have been debt free since 2011 but I am due dental work (yes finally!) and need glasses and work done on the car, the house and the garden so am going to do a 0% balance transfer if I can time everything right and then work very hard on paying it off.

I do have some savings but they are staying as an emergency fund, I like the security they give me. Plus they may well not be enough. In the back of my mind I think I am due a tax rebate as well, not had time to investigate yet.

Some things have changed and some things stay the same. As a family we are having a very hard time and that is partly why I am back, I need a reminder not spend all the time and to try to find the cheapest ways to do things. Especially eating.

Lately I have been buying things from Amazon like it doesn't cost me a thing and do not even get me started on the contactless payment option.....it is really bad!!

I get paid tomorrow so a little sort out of the budgets and then an investigation of 0% BT offers.

Love

Buffy
    Penny a day Challenge, Frugal living challenge, £1 a day challenge, VSP challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge.
Page 12
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 1st Jan 18, 11:59 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Sleep and an enormous cup of tea sorted me out to an extent.

Watched Logan which was ridiculously sad. Really upset me! Just a bloody film.

I think I should go to bed.

night night XXX
    Penny a day Challenge, Frugal living challenge, £1 a day challenge, VSP challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge.
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 2nd Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    • 3,297 Posts
    • 12,310 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Morning Buffy - hope you're feeling better today.

I loved Logan. Thought it was a great film, but yes very sad at the end.

Emz xx
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 2nd Jan 18, 9:20 AM
    • 14,940 Posts
    • 98,481 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    HNY Hope you're feeling better love, off to find Logan now....
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/1725.27
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: total debt 24/9 £4060 PAID off £1695.40 Total 22/12 4025.27 PAID OFF £1730.13 1/3/18 Total £37025.27 £2030.13 paid off
    :
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 2nd Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    My tooth hurts.

Am back to work tomorrow and am incredibly sad about it.

That means no time and no choice. So I need to be giving my notice. I have various countdown on my phone - 39 days till half term, 90 till Easter and 199 till the end of the year.

Yes I know I shouldn't waste my life counting down till the holidays but I must know there is an end in sight. This job has been the best so far but the amount of BS going around in general in education, I just do not want to know.

In the mean time I am going to try to change how I work, get in much earlier and leave earlier. And take my head phones in so I can listen to cheerful audio books and not get distracted, thus hopefully getting more done.

XX
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,665 Thanks
    beanielou
    So when do you need to hand your notice in to finish at the end of the school year?
    How is BIL at the moment xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 2nd Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    So when do you need to hand your notice in to finish at the end of the school year?
    How is BIL at the moment xx
    Originally posted by beanielou
    By the 31st of May. I want something new and interesting to do. It is ok there but only because of the people I work with and both the women want babies and my boss wants out. So then......it would be grim!

BIL is doing very well at the moment, cooperating and do physio which is good.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 3rd Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Evening

Today was rubbish if I am honest, terrible headache, new staff seem OK but am not sure, one unsettled me. Really don't do change! Also a colleague was so sexist today it really upset me. Really off comments made to a female teacher, he has done similar to me but I do tell him where to go. She didn't. And it royally !!!!ed me off.

I have an absolute tonne to do. Have the dentist tomorrow tho so not worrying about work.

Mum is very tired. I am very tired, checked my bank and some where I have changed a standing order and nothing makes sense. I have moved 400 pounds from somewhere. Awful feeling I need it for something. But too shattered to think about what.

had to renew my driving licence which was 14 quid (!) but other than that no spending. Will need to buy Guinea pig and rabbit food....This weekend I want to work in the garden...which is at least free!

XXX
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Jan 18, 10:52 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,665 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope dentist goes ok & you find your 400 quid.
    Maybe you sent it to me
    Take care xx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • urg123
    • By urg123 3rd Jan 18, 11:34 PM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    urg123
    Hate it when you feel others are being treated awfully... sexism in the workplace is so hard. Even when it's become more highlighted, people still feel it is okay to do!
    Hope the £400 mystery resolves itself... you didn't send it to me
    and good luck at the dentist - I know it isn't your favourite place. Sending you lots of 'get it over with quickly' hugs.

urg x x
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 4th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Dentist was terrible - don't get me wrong, the dentist herself was lovely, extremely competent, knew how to avoid the horrible choking feeling. But an hour plus in the chair with that rubber thing over your tooth. God it was hell and the subsequent pain is immense.

I fully expected to go back to work. But I was shakey mess leaving the dentist. Came home fit for nothing. Work are probably annoyed. But honestly I wasn't fronting up to work with a half numb face and being in pretty serious pain. They can whistle for it.

Oh and I can't eat yet, I have had a milkshake and am going to attempt a cup of tea.....
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 4th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I had soup as well as tea. In so much pain! Really wish I had the tooth removed now.

took some pain killers. Hopefully will start to feel better.
    • juliejim
    • By juliejim 4th Jan 18, 7:30 PM
    • 7,529 Posts
    • 151,199 Thanks
    juliejim
    Can you take paracetemol and ibuprofen Buffy? Alternate them every 2 hours to try and keep the pain at bay.
    Hope you feel better soon
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 4th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 8,503 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hi Buffy

Sorry to hear about the tooth situation on top of the rest! I hope 2018 brings better times for you.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3%

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,665 Thanks
    beanielou
    Should it be so sore BUffy?
    Ask our dental friend.

• Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 4th Jan 18, 9:52 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Can you take paracetemol and ibuprofen Buffy? Alternate them every 2 hours to try and keep the pain at bay.
    Hope you feel better soon
    Originally posted by juliejim
    Had forgotten about that trick! I will do that,
    thanks XX

Should it be so sore BUffy?
    Ask our dental friend.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    My sister who bizarrely has the same teeth issues but on opposite side if you see what I mean, she thinks it would hurt, the dentist did dig around a great deal. I shall wait 24 hours and then ring.

Ate some biscuits and feel a bit better, tooth is pulsing (!) but ok. XX
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 5th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 4,809 Posts
    • 27,356 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Typically a lot of post dentist pain comes from the bruising that relates to all the prodding around your tooth plus any injections. Give it three days if you can. Take care
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £78,892.61, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £4,075.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £355.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 9/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 5th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Working Mum
    A traditional way of handling dental pain is oil of cloves - it tastes awful but you can dab it topically in the gum area and it takes the pain away!! It is very cheap and can be picked up at Chemists but A5da had some for 90p when I bought some last year.
    Good luck with handling it as dental pain is the worst
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 6th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Typically a lot of post dentist pain comes from the bruising that relates to all the prodding around your tooth plus any injections. Give it three days if you can. Take care
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    It hurts less today, I am just worried as she said there was a gap next to one of the roots, I hope that doesn't make the tooth less stable? and all this will be for nothing! She said not to bite on the tooth (which I haven't) I have a week till stage three.

A traditional way of handling dental pain is oil of cloves - it tastes awful but you can dab it topically in the gum area and it takes the pain away!! It is very cheap and can be picked up at Chemists but A5da had some for 90p when I bought some last year.
    Good luck with handling it as dental pain is the worst
    Originally posted by Working Mum
    I will investigate, I think I might have some knocking about for putting fish to sleep...

Today hasn't started well.

Vets, one of the guinea pigs has a lump, it is probably cancer.

I have just about had it. It is probably the toothache more than anything. Am just done with all the !!!!.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 6th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Vets, dog walk, Sainbury's delivery, breakfast (!) lift for sister and then shopping. Just the petshop and Wickes, an exciting afternoon

Feeling a bit better. I know I feel bad this time of year. Lots of us do. I have goals I have a plan, I need to keep working the plan.

I also have an idea for the rabbits - their cage. That perked me up. I will need to move some stuff but if it works.......

XXX
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 7th Jan 18, 10:42 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 48,651 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    It didn't work.

Made things a little better. but not worth the time I spent today. should have done it yesterday.

The last six months have been an utter nightmare if I am honest. I looked round the spare room and the conservatory today. I had made so much progress there. But the new sofas in the middle of being at the hospital wasn't a great idea.

I am sick of the mess. And it is a mess. Not just untidy. And it is worse as I had been making progress and now it feels worse than before. I feel like I will be for ever tidying.

Sorry to be on such a downer.

XXX
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,594Posts Today

5,223Users online

Martin's Twitter