Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 724Posts
    • 6,327Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 8
    • fiona100
    • By fiona100 11th Sep 17, 12:57 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    fiona100
    Cool. Thanks for the inspiration PP. I particularly like the post 104 I think it is,.

So far I have been batch cooking, but I really need to get the hang of menu planning, so that I can punt more money towards the mortgage over payments.

Thanks fiona100
    Last edited by fiona100; 11-09-2017 at 1:01 AM.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Sep 17, 8:46 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Better late than never
    Didn't get around to posting yesterday on account of having a very nice weekend

The weather was mixed but we got out for a rather muddy run through the woods which was a perfect start to an otherwise lazy Sunday.

This weekend I've managed to;

Relax
    Enjoy some good company
    Have a long walk
    Get out for a run
    Eat healthily and stick to the meal plan
    Have two nsd
    Not worry about my dad

Have a good start to the week

PP x
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Sep 17, 8:48 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Cool. Thanks for the inspiration PP. I particularly like the post 104 I think it is,.

So far I have been batch cooking, but I really need to get the hang of menu planning, so that I can punt more money towards the mortgage over payments.

Thanks fiona100
    Originally posted by fiona100
    Hi Fiona, thanks for stopping by

Meal planning and batch cooking saves you time and money so it's a great start. You'll find after a while it just becomes second nature. Good luck with your overpayments

PP x
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Financial news!
    I often seem to wander off topic with my diary and as a result there's a lot about food, exercise and cleaning and not much about money
    Today however I have had the excitement of a mid month OS payment that is more than a TT of a couple of pence.
    I knew the interest on my building society savings account where I held my savings and EF before I got my new mortgage with an OS account was paid in September but I wasn't sure when. It arrived today so £430.87 was overpaid to my OS account.
    I soooo want to get my mortgage below £100,000 so this is a boost that takes me closer. I'd originally hoped to do this by the end if the year but due to the addictive nature of this MFW malarkey I'm now not content with that and am going all out for November

In addition I've;

Had a productive, uneventful day at work and marking is up to date

Done a load of laundry and got it on the airer

Folded and put away dry laundry

Found lo for lunches tomorrow in the freezer and made a salad to go with them

Drank 2 litres of water

Done kettlebells class

Eaten healthy (fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, lo veggie curry and brown rice for lunch and Moroccan chickpea tagine, roasted veg and cous cous for dinner ( was from the freezer so no cooking)

Done a very basic daily cleaning routine

Had a nsd

I'm off to watch Master Chef on catch up followed by an early night

PP x
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    PS the weather here is horrid and I've got my electric blanket on! Not exactly hard core but it is so nice!!
    • maia_evo
    • By maia_evo 12th Sep 17, 1:34 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    maia_evo
    I am sooooooo with you on the addictive front. Great thing to find addictive though isn't it
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
    MFW 2017 £6000 (currently £5201) | Product Sales Target 10 (currently 2) | Tesco CC £5116.50 - £0
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 12th Sep 17, 8:09 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    I am sooooooo with you on the addictive front. Great thing to find addictive though isn't it
    Originally posted by maia_evo
    Hi Maia

Better than shopping I suppose

Hope things are going well for you

PP x
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 12th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Zzzzzzzzz
    I am knackered tonight. Guess I'm still dragging myself out of holiday mode
    Work has been good although there is stuff rumbling in the background but I'm adopting my tried and tested strategy of keeping my head down and getting on with my work. I find these things and the negativity they bring really draining so I do try not to get sucked in.

Despite feeling a bit weary I have achieved some mfw targets

Drank 2.25 litres of water
    Did a spin class
    Ate healthily and cheaply (porridge for breakfast lo veggie tagine, cous cous and roast veg for lunch, tomato and basil sauce from the freezer with pasta and salad for dinner).
    A basic daily clean (quick swipe of the bathroom, bedroom and the kichen sink and a quick sweep of the kitchen floor).
    Folded up the throws off the sofa which were dry and put them back - no longer smelling of dog

The above aren't strictly mfw activities (except maybe the eating well and cheaply) but I do find that I function better in every aspect of my life when I take care of myself and my home so they are an integral part of my journey. My monthly subscription of £24 for unlimited fitness classes is proving tremendous value. The variety is good and on nights like tonight when its chucking it down its nicer than going for a run!

I haven't managed a nsd as I paid the deposit for my work's Christmas party I guess that'll be here before we know it.
    I've also kept my spending diary up to date which will help with my end of month review.
    I'm off to read through ds's homework followed by watching Liar on catch up then an early night (again!!).

PP x
    • Dragonrider
    • By Dragonrider 12th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    Dragonrider
    Hi pinkypig,

Thought I would stop by and say how well you're doing.

Lots of great ideas that I will definitely pinch!

Dragonrider
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hi pinkypig,

Thought I would stop by and say how well you're doing.

Lots of great ideas that I will definitely pinch!

Dragonrider
    Originally posted by Dragonrider
    Hiya DR, thank you so much for stopping by. So many of your comments on your diary rang true with me that think you an I will be great allies
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    What? Where?
    Cannot believe it is Wednesday. This week seems to be slipping through my fingers.
    Work has been productive and without incident which is always good.

Nothing to report money wise although I've had a couple of victories;

A nsd

A super cheap food day (porridge and blackberries, lo veggie tagine and roast veg for lunch and veggie moussaka from the freezer with salad for dinner so no cooking either). I have run out of salad dressing but rather than popping to the shop I used a splash of balsamic instead

I need work shoes. The heel has gone through and they'll cost more to reheel than they are worth. I was going to order some but i resisted temptation I dug out my winter work boots (its cold and wet enough) and will wait to pick up some shoes in the sales.

Did a yoga class using my monthly membership

Everywhere looked clean so I didn't bother with a daily clean, just wiped the sink and changed the cloth and tea towel.

Dug out some leftovers from the freezer for tomorrow's lunches (Chinese pork and veg rice).

Off to watch Masterchef on catch up and yes you guessed right - followed by an early night
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 13th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Enjoy masterchef..... I'm catching up on bake off!

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22
    Money for Nothing pot = £392.99
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 14th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Enjoy masterchef..... I'm catching up on bake off!
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    Thank you, I did and Bake off is tonight - love Bread Week
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 14th Sep 17, 8:37 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Its nearly the weekend!
    Not quite jumping up and down yet but nearly
    Today has been a really good day. Work flew by and as I marked through break and lunch I got an early finish and was home in time to get a few jobs done so today I've managed to:

Make overnight oats, low fat hummus and five minute tomato and basil soup (love my pressure cooker )
    Do a proper daily cleaning routine including a quick wipe of the kitchen units
    Get a load of laundry done ready to hang on the line tomorrow (no rain forecast )
    Have a cup of tea with my sister
    Do a spin class

MSE news includes

A 40p TT

Got my free cider from Shopium and uploaded the receipt (couldn't find the cranberry juice in Asda though)

Did the food shop at Aldi for £35.54 including two packs of cooking bacon from Asda. This is good value any way but today it was lean, smoked and in rashers so I grabbed an extra for the freezer . One pack does a family size risotto, a quiche and a spag carbonara so at 57p its a right bargain

A cheap food day (porridge for breakfast, lo Chinese pork and veg rice from the freezer for lunch, spaghetti carbonara and salad for dinner and enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow)

I'm beginning to feel ready for the weekend but first I need to catch up on Bake off and have (another ) early night. Middle age has made me beyond rubbish. How did I ever manage to go out on the lash from Thursday through til Sunday? If I'm up past 10.30 these days I can barely function

PP x
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 14th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Sounds like a good day indeed!! Everything going in the right direction.

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22
    Money for Nothing pot = £392.99
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 15th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    michelle09
    Sounds lovely! I think you never truly appreciate sleep while you're young. Early nights are glorious.
    • maia_evo
    • By maia_evo 15th Sep 17, 6:36 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    maia_evo
    Middle age has made me beyond rubbish. How did I ever manage to go out on the lash from Thursday through til Sunday? If I'm up past 10.30 these days I can barely function

PP x
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Laughed out loud. Me too
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
    MFW 2017 £6000 (currently £5201) | Product Sales Target 10 (currently 2) | Tesco CC £5116.50 - £0
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 15th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Friiiiidaaaay!
    So glad its the weekend, I'm one weary piggy

Hi Michelle and Maia, thanks for stopping by - its good to know its not just me likes/needs a wild night in

I got up to date with my planning and marking before I left work so I'm under no pressure this weekend. I've nothing much planned other than spending some time with the kids, doing some cooking and gardening and getting out for a run.
    Today has been a good day. Work ticked along, a friend has arranged a get together for us all in a couple of weeks, the kids are on good form and the dog is behaving.
    I've done my taxi duties and have had a quiet night in front of the TV. The woodburner is on and I'm curled up on the sofa. Lovely

Other than make dinner I've done nothing and even that was assemble rather than make as it was out of the freezer.

I have however managed to;

Watch ds empty the dishwasher

Got the dry washing in just before a huge downpour and folded it and put it away ( not just leaving it in a bag)

Had confirmation from Shopium that my cider refund is on it's way. They are so quick

Had a nsd

Relax - I'm quite bad at this and often feel guilty if I do. Must try harder!

Ate healthily and cheaply (porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch, batch cooked veggie chilli for dinner)

Tomorrow's plans include catching up with my mum, making dd's birthday cake and a cake for me to take into work, batch cook veggie ragu and some mixed bean soup and get out for a run between showers.

Dr Foster and my bed (with electric blanket) are calling - enjoy your Friday night whatever you're doing.

PP x
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 15th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Sounds like a good day indeed!! Everything going in the right direction.
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    Thanks BTE, I hope you had a good day too
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 15th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Well done on the marking/planning achievement.
    Have a fabulous weekend.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

4,362Users online

Martin's Twitter