Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 584Posts
    • 5,809Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 7
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 4th Sep 17, 9:26 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Good luck tomorrow. I'm assuming it's an inset day. I hope it's positive and not an ear bashing session.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Thank you . It was inset and I've had worse!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 4th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Survived!
    Not a bad day considering and ready for the new arrivals tomorrow.
    Managed a kettle bells class and a healthy eating dayso I'm pleased about that.
    Only spends were 79p on toothpaste and £1.49 on sunglasses in the sale ( I broke mine during the hols).

Off to bed now as I'm pooped (such a lightweight)

PP x
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 4th Sep 17, 10:19 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Hope first day back went okay! Reading the last couple of pages seems you are super organised well done! ( Though I live in a similar state of dissaray once term starts trying valiantly to declutter and keep organised but it usually looks like I live in a novel by Thursday night! )

Must join the Grocery challenge as ithink here is potentially where we have some big savings to be made!
    MF planning for the simple life
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 5th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hope first day back went okay! Reading the last couple of pages seems you are super organised well done! ( Though I live in a similar state of dissaray once term starts trying valiantly to declutter and keep organised but it usually looks like I live in a novel by Thursday night! )

Must join the Grocery challenge as ithink here is potentially where we have some big savings to be made!
    Originally posted by Downshifterella
    Thanks Ella, I've survived my first teaching day

GC is brilliant, give it a go!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 5th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Another day done and a pretty positive one even though I definitely feel like I'm back on the treadmill

Drank 2.5 litres of water
    Spin class done
    Healthy eating and freezer use up so no cooking( porridge, LO Chinese pork fried rice and salad for lunch, tom and basil pasta and salad for dinner)
    £9.74 paid to mortgage OS from TCB and Shopium
    £2.14 spent on milk and a load of lovely prechopped/s!iced fruit reduced to 10p a pack
    Marking and prep for tomorrow done
    Load of washing nearly done
    Daily cleaning routine half done

I'm off to have a quick sweep of the kitchen floor and then hang the laundry on the airer before having half an hour with my book then an early night - living the dream

PPx
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 5th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Pleased you are still standing after day 1. Only another 189 to go....
    I have to say I am not missing it. Although the fact that there is only 1 teacher out of 10 left at the school that I worked with, I left in April 2016 for Mat leave. I think that says a lot about the school I've left.

Sleep well.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    July : £36,800 8/100
    August: £36,411.85 8/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 6th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Pleased you are still standing after day 1. Only another 189 to go....
    I have to say I am not missing it. Although the fact that there is only 1 teacher out of 10 left at the school that I worked with, I left in April 2016 for Mat leave. I think that says a lot about the school I've left.

Sleep well.
    I've worked in the same school for donkey's years. Its not perfect but the kids are nice as are adults (most of the time).

Are you thinking of going back to teaching?
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 6th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Happy Hump Day!
    Definitely not as knackered as I was yesterday. Must be all those early nights coupled with a good day at work

No money news as such but a few MSE victories;

Nsd

Porridge with foraged blackberries for breakfast, veggie tagine from the freezer with ys salad and ys fruit for lunch, batch cooked tomato and basil sauce from the freezer with hm turkey meatballs and basics spaghetti for dinner.

Daily clean done

Laundry near!y dry on the airer (too much rain to risk the line)

Got a pile of really good quality clothes, most still with tags from a friend's daughter. Will regift a bottle of fizz tomorrow as a thank you.

Went to yoga using monthly membership

Drank 1.5 litres of water - must try harder

Enough dinner leftovers for lunches tomorrow plus one portion of pasta and sauce for the freezer.

Off to watch TGBBO on catch up. Nighty Night

PP x
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 6th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I've worked in the same school for donkey's years. Its not perfect but the kids are nice as are adults (most of the time).

Are you thinking of going back to teaching?
    Originally posted by pinkypig

Maybe a bit of supply. I've got a bit of a consultancy gig with a school about an hour away from here. I'm going to be doing all their data analysis work, prep for pupil progress meetings and reporting to governors etc. (For a lovely head I used to work for) and I can work it round hubby's job so don't need child care for the days I have to go to the school, rather working at home in evenings and nap times. We'll see how much that actually works out as (first day next week) and if she can pimp me out to other schools.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Sep 17, 6:34 AM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Maybe a bit of supply. I've got a bit of a consultancy gig with a school about an hour away from here. I'm going to be doing all their data analysis work, prep for pupil progress meetings and reporting to governors etc. (For a lovely head I used to work for) and I can work it round hubby's job so don't need child care for the days I have to go to the school, rather working at home in evenings and nap times. We'll see how much that actually works out as (first day next week) and if she can pimp me out to other schools.
    Sounds great,best of both worlds
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Heading for the weekend...
    and very glad I am too .
    I've actually had a really good first week of term and in many ways its nice to be back. The pace however is a little relentless and a bit of breathing space and time to catch up with family and friends will be great.
    Plans include a mix of walking , a couple of runs in lovely places, lounging in front of a box set, good food and an odd glass of wine

Today has simply flown by but I have got a few ongoing jobs knocked off and have had a couple of MSE successes.

Drank 1.8 litres of water

Cheap, healthy eating (porridge and ys mango for breakfast, lo tom and Basil sauce and spaghetti with salad and ys melon for lunch , bacon and mushroom risotto with salad followed by ys berries and yoghurt for dinner)

Did full body conditioning class

Load of laundry done and on the airer

Ironing (which I hate!) done.

Daily cleaning routine done

Repaired belt loop on jeans and a bra with an escaping under wire

Enough lo risotto for lunches tomorrow.

In terms of money news it was rent day so I transferred my £500 annual costs/holiday/car replacement to my MOS account minus £67.50 which I used to pay for the Autumn coal which arrived this week. I also made a OS payment of £169.40.

£4.17 was spent on two bags of mixed peppers for salads and roasting, 4 pints of milk plus 5 bags of mixed artisan rolls (6 in each bag) for 10p a bag, lemon pancakes, 10 p and 2 tubs of mixed berries which were also 10p each The rolls are in the freezer and the berries and the pancakes will do for the kid's breakfast tomorrow.

Off to bed as its past my bedtime

PP x
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 7th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    You are amazing PP after a day at school hearing a batch cooked freezer meal and opening a bottle of something was the most I could manage.
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 7th Sep 17, 10:45 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    A decent ys haul there! I'm never that lucky!?
    Former DFW Need 230. Determined to be MF.
    Current balance £116,878.11. Offset £1034.
    end date - 03/29 aiming for 10/22

Bring it on!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 8th Sep 17, 11:18 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    You are amazing PP after a day at school hearing a batch cooked freezer meal and opening a bottle of something was the most I could manage.
    Nothing wrong with that Wish, it sounds great

Don't be impressed, its only week one, it won't last!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 8th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    A decent ys haul there! I'm never that lucky!?
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    Hi BTE
    My local Asda is great if you time it right
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 8th Sep 17, 11:22 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Will have to post tomorrow, too much wine and not enough sleep
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 8th Sep 17, 11:40 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Have a great weekend. Don't work too hard.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 9th Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    It's the weekend
    It feels so nice to not be woken by the alarm. I slept until 7.30, possibly due to a very relaxed Friday night. HM curry, lovely company and a bottle of wine - perfect end to the week

Had a good day at work and got everything marked and prepped for next week so I've got a weekend off. I've no dad duties as it's my sisters weekend and the kids are with their dad so I'm in the almost unheard of situation of pleasing myself so I'm off walking today which I'm really looking forward to.

Yesterday also included;

Did the food shopping for £14.83 which was just some fresh stuff as this week's meal plan is using batch cooked things from the freezer.

Drank 1.75 litres of water

Healthy eating (porridge for breakfast, lo risotto and salad for lunch, Thai chickpea and spinach curry for dinner,)

Daily cleaning routine

Enjoy your Saturday whatever you're up to

PP x
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 9th Sep 17, 8:28 AM
    • 584 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Have a great weekend. Don't work too hard.
    Thanks Wish, you too and good luck with your healthy eating. Your plan sounds like a great way forward
    Last edited by pinkypig; 09-09-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 9th Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    michelle09
    That is definitely the perfect end to the week, enjoy your walk!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,846Posts Today

9,023Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin