Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 746Posts
    • 6,460Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 3
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 29th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 10,573 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    chargers, plugs and wires...they rule our house for tablets, phones, ipads, laptops, chromebooks!! I swear we need to arrange our furniture to coordinate with plug sockets!! And they seem to spawn off each other, until you are mega desperate for one and then they all vanish - I swear our eldest is a magician!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 33//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £35,448.08
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £100,551.94 // Avg Daily Interest £4.52
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 56.74% of £41,000
    • greent
    • By greent 29th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 6,507 Posts
    • 65,676 Thanks
    greent
    chargers, plugs and wires...they rule our house for tablets, phones, ipads, laptops, chromebooks!! I swear we need to arrange our furniture to coordinate with plug sockets!! And they seem to spawn off each other, until you are mega desperate for one and then they all vanish - I swear our eldest is a magician!
    Originally posted by shangaijimmy
    You mean you don't already?!

One of the best things we've done with regards to chargers is change some plug sockets to ones which have direct usb-inputs, as we have way more charging cables than the plug bits (which seem to be non-standard now for phones etc) - makes life just that little bit easier. Have also bought different coloured cables and assigned people a colour to reduce the arguing (hopefully! )
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 29th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 4,420 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Colour coded cables , chargers in our house are safe new looking ones for the adults, bent at tip and wires showing offspring.
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £158200
    h@lifax CC £4300 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    CC daughter gift and holiday spends £2200
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 29th Jul 17, 6:21 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    michelle09
    I made sure that all my gadgets (apart from the fitbit *grrr*) charge using a micro USB cable so I only need one for everything.

OH has piles of the things. I bought a bag that says "Every charger in the universe! *except for the one you want"

Hope the holiday mode is still going well.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 29th Jul 17, 9:53 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,460 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Originally posted by shangaijimmy
    You mean you don't already?!

One of the best things we've done with regards to chargers is change some plug sockets to ones which have direct usb-inputs, as we have way more charging cables than the plug bits (which seem to be non-standard now for phones etc) - makes life just that little bit easier. Have also bought different coloured cables and assigned people a colour to reduce the arguing (hopefully! )
    Originally posted by greent
    I made sure that all my gadgets (apart from the fitbit *grrr*) charge using a micro USB cable so I only need one for everything.

OH has piles of the things. I bought a bag that says "Every charger in the universe! *except for the one you want"

Hope the holiday mode is still going well.
    Originally posted by michelle09

Holiday mindset is kicking nicely thanks Michelle

Glad your all feeling my cable pain greent you have the kindest outlook on things . A,spare just in case cable makes it feel much less of a waste and me less of a numpty for not checking - Thank you

PP x
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 29th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 10,573 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Great idea from greent about changing the plug sockets. B&Q for me tomorrow...!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 33//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £35,448.08
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 29th Jul 17, 10:45 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,460 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Edging forward...
    Hi, good luck with your plans,
    My mortgage is a little bit bigger than yours, but our plans look similar. I want to retire at 55 in 71/2 years. I'm aiming to get the mortgaged cleared as not to eat into my lump sum... but time will tell. After being a successful MSEer last year, this year I'm taking the scenic route...
    Originally posted by Moneyfordreams
    Hi MFD

Thank you so much for dropping in, it sometimes feels a bit odd rambling away to myself (definitely focuses the mind though ).
    Its great that we are on the same timescale , we can cheer each other on. I'm going to find your diary and subscribe.
    PS the scenic route sounds just lovely

What another odd day of weather . A bright start then pouring rain then a lovely summer's afternoon

Whilst it was !!!!!! It down I got down to some MSE domestics. The house is now clean and tidy for when we return from holiday and the ironing is up to date which is a miracle in itself.

We are heading off to the big city tomorrow so I've made a train picnic to save me shelling out for overpriced rubbish. Because its the start of the holidays I wanted it to feel like a treat rather than a cost cutting exercise so I made some sushi and dipping sauces, hummus, cous cous salad, pitta bread and rocky road bars.
    I went to Aldi and bought nectarines, strawberries and grapes plus a few bottles of the sparkling fruit water that DC2 loves. All I need to do in the morning is make myself a take from home coffee.
    The fruit and drinks came to £4.25 but it will last us a couple of days and everything else was using up things I had already so my grocery budget is still intact

Successes

Visited Mum and Dad
    Packed lunch made
    Train tickets collected
    Vouchers printed off
    Cut back an area of garden as the garden waste bin will be collected while we are away.
    Cleaned the car inside and out . it was awful . Looks and smells lovely now though
    Fridge emptied and cleaned. Anything that won't be used is in the freezer
    Hoovered
    Ironing done
    Packed except for the things we need in the morning

Finally, I went through my finances and gathered up what was left from July and what isn't accounted for in August and made my first OS payment of £1757

July and August will be a bit of an anomaly with the mortgage starting part way through the month and with savings being amalgamated and large one off bills to be paid. As of 1st Sept £1000 (£800 cost to me) will go into my AVC and £400 will go I to my os mortgage neutral pot. Anything else I can squirrel away will join the os pot as will my holiday, car and annual spends budgets ( I'll get the offset interest off these but as they are spoken for they will not
    count as part of my mortgage neutral fund if that makes sense) .

Off to bed as only one more sleep until my holibobs

PP moderate
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 30th Jul 17, 7:57 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,460 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Ready for off
    ... and super excited, I was awake at 6 am

Station taxi (my sister!) booked and everything is packed, coffee is made and picnic just needs moving from the fridge to the cool bag.
    Being such a country bumpkin I love cities

Not much news other than we've downloaded some films for the journey (share Amazon Prime and Netflix with my sisters, works out at under £3.50 a month and worth every penny, particularly with teens). I've also got July's free with Prime kindle book to finish and I can take out another on Tuesday so no more holiday reading needed.

Just time for a coffee and and a quick look at the news.

PP x
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 30th Jul 17, 9:44 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Have a lovely time away, I love the sound of your train picnic.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 31st Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,460 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Have a lovely time away, I love the sound of your train picnic.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Thank you, we are having an exhausting but lovely time

My run this morning was amazing, taking me past The Shard, London and Tower bridge, the Tower of London, Borough market ( and The Museum of fashion and textiles when I managed to get lost despite planning a circular route ) followed if with a quick shower and a full English - a near perfect start to the day

We have walked miles and taken advantage of the free museums and generals sight seeing. We have also managed to stay under our daily food/snacks budget so hope we can keep if up!
    Off for half an hour with my feet up before heading out for dinner.

PP x
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 1st Aug 17, 9:43 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,460 Thanks
    pinkypig
    MFW fraud...
    Despite best efforts this is not a very mse holiday
    We are sticking to our daily food budget and making use of the free activities but holiday extras are adding up. Having a really great time though so I'll try and keep things as sensible as I can and will do some belt tightening on my return.
    Glad I've been putting into my holiday budget each month though !

PP x
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 2nd Aug 17, 7:34 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,460 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Feeling neglected ...
    I feel like I'm neglecting my diary but the days have been so packed I'm simply pooped at night 😳

Mse successes have included

Sticking to our daily food and snacks budget (thank goodness for vouchers and Tesco express - Central London is expensive )

Coffee cup doing a great service - filled at breakfast and used throughout the day

Using water bottles brought from home

Great free day at the museum,

Took our own drinks and snacks to the theatre (tickets not cheap but well worth it and I did get some cash back from tbc)

Morning run - free excecise

Not got sucked into shopping/ souvenirs or impulse buys - yet!

Off to read for as long as I can keep my eyes open 😁

PP x
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 3rd Aug 17, 8:31 AM
    • 2,280 Posts
    • 10,573 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Im exhausted reading and at the thought of a London trip!!
    • CathT
    • By CathT 3rd Aug 17, 11:19 AM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,024 Thanks
    CathT
    Hi PP, just found your diary and wanted to say good luck with your plans.
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 3rd Aug 17, 10:26 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,460 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Some success ...
    Hi Jimmy and Cath T, thank you so much for stopping by. It feels nice to know I'm not just blathering on to myself.
    London has been tiring but it has been a fabulous experience with lots of memories made, we really aren't ready to leave!

Mse successes today included:

Sticking to the daily budget. This has taken a conscious effort as it's easy to overspend here but it's been worth doing as it's meant not having to dip into savings/op money/ personal spends.

Used Tesco/Dettol offer to get 2 cinema tickets for £3

My very first tcb payment - £47.25 from Tesco for taking out a fee free credit card. This was transferred to my OS account this morning as an extra OP

Took our own drinks an snacks to the cinema

I'm going to give some serious thoughts to my Aug goals so I can plan ahead once I'm home. I truly do love a list!!

PP x
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 4th Aug 17, 11:02 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,460 Thanks
    pinkypig
    A rather weary piggy...
    Home after a lovely, busy week. The washing is done and hung on airers rather than succumbing to the dryer and we walked home from the station and that at is the sum total of my mse achievements today
    One very tired pig is now off to beddie byes

PP x
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 4th Aug 17, 11:46 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 2,540 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Goodnight, sleep well
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 16th Aug 17, 11:41 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,460 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Mia...
    Have just had a lovely holiday with tons of R and R and no freaking internet
    Much to report but in dire need of sleep. My mission is to catch up tomorrow

PP x
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 17th Aug 17, 9:06 AM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,981 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Glad you had a great holibobs! OMG no internet?! How did you survive?! I really don't think I could do it! Lol!
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£4,060.70
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 17th Aug 17, 12:11 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,460 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Some progress
    Woke up to sunshine which was novel since I'm back in the UK
    The last couple of weeks have been amazing and have given us all a much needed boost. Two holidays doesn't feel very MSE but they were budgeted and saved for and the savings/OS pot is still intact.
    On reflection, things were done cost effectively and were worth every penny. I will continue to fund the holiday pot as this journey is going to be a long one and if I'm to sustain my efforts i need to feel like life is full of adventures.

MSE successes

Holidays done within budget and lots of precious memories made

Set up additional pension contribution of £1000 (£800 net) to start in September

Transfered £1700 to OS pot when I got paid (£500 savings pots £400 OS savings plus an extra £800 until additional pension contribution starts)

Solicitor, accountant, dentist paid

All savings now held in one OS savings account to get maximum benefit

Meal plan for next two weeks done and shopping list ready

Today's goals

Food shopping
    Organise freezer
    Batch cook Tarka Dhal, veggie chilli and spicy butterbean soup
    Make Bircher muesli
    Tidy garden
    Dry and put away holiday laundry
    Price up and consider leisure centre membership for the winter months when running becomes more difficult to do regularly. Excecise is my saviour, mentally and physically and it isdefintely a priority.

Weekly goals

Post daily
    Catch up on diaries
    Three runs

Monthly goals

Lose 4lbs
    No spends other than food and fuel to try and OS a bit extra
    Try and cut grocery budget by £5 a,week by using up stocks. This would give me £20 a month towards the leisure membership I'd like to have during the winter.
    Continue my no books or clothes challenge.

Better get started

PP x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

627Posts Today

4,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @garethh1992: @MartinSLewis My GF is a leaver and I?m a proud remoaner. You?ve got to respect everyone?s right to disagree with you. I t?

• Today's twitter poll: If someone admits to you their Brexit view is different to yours (eg you're a remainer, they? https://t.co/c4WZQpfrg3

• Exactly. Politics already suffered from our adversarial system - pushing people to oppose not compromise. That ha? https://t.co/gETVyA6HWA

• Follow Martin