Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 746Posts
    • 6,474Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 16
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 21st Nov 17, 10:32 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    pinkypig
    sneaking guiltily into my neglected diary

I'm having a ludicrously busy time at the moment both at home and at work and I'm just about knackered The next two weeks are nuts but then it should be at least back to normal hours.
    I had a weekend away with friends which was great but it did cost a bit. I took the hotel cost out of my holidays pot but food a drink came to around £30. I also bought some boots which were a want not a need (they were a cs bargain but still £20 ). My personal spends are going to be over but there's some slack in fuel and grocery so hopefully it'll even out.
    £6.85 spend today on coffee, milk, juice and some ys sausages, veg and fruit but that should be it until Thursday. Just as well as its 6 days until pay day and its so tight i dare not even Tilly tidy just in case
    In other areas things could be better but they could be worse;

House is tidy and reasonably clean

Laundry is up to date but lots still drying

No classes last week but managed three runs and did spin tonight

Still using up which is clearing space and keeping grocery spend down. I did succumb to a 6 bottle wine offer though

Posting has been very lax. Must get back to daily.

Getting to bed too late so going now!

PP xx
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 22nd Nov 17, 5:10 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I put mine off for weeks. Well done for getting it done
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    But it needs doing again now - waaaahhhh
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 22nd Nov 17, 5:13 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Work, in your field, is always nuts at this time of year. I found I just kept my head down, ploughed through and came up for air at Christmas.
    Keep going, you'll get there.
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 22nd Nov 17, 6:42 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    You're doing amazingly. Keep going - thinks will ease off again soon, I'm sure!

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Nov 17, 8:46 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    pinkypig
    But it needs doing again now - waaaahhhh
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Oh no mine probably do too but one good thing about leaving for work in the dark and returning in the dark is I can't see them I'll get a reality check at the weekend no doubt! Xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Nov 17, 8:48 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    pinkypig
    You're doing amazingly. Keep going - thinks will ease off again soon, I'm sure!
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    Thank you . My diary definitely looks lighter the week after next.

Enjoy your holidays -it sounds so exciting
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 22nd Nov 17, 9:57 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thank you. All packed and ready for the off......!!

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!

• pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Nov 17, 10:24 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Today has been a little less chaotic if you ignore the weather which brought actual chaos What a night,I was glad to get home to my nice cosy house ( the heating is now on).
    With the exception of my commute today's been uneventful. My marking is up to date and I've got no more out of hours events or meetings this week. I left on time to avoid driving on flooded roads in the dark and so I did get a couple of jobs done at home.
    The cake tins were empty so I made chocolate crunch which ds loves. Its dead easy and cheap to make so its a winner all round.
    To counter balance the sugar and saturated fat in this I made low fat hummus and overnight oats with red berries and put two bags of pre chopped 10p ys veggies in the sc with some tinned toms and a load of spices to make a veggie curry for tomorrow's dinner and a coup!e of batches for the freezer.

In money news I requested £54.80 from tcb from when I switched energy suppliers. I also sorted out the problem with my new online energy account which was good but they informed me that my smartmeter is not compatible with their systems and a universal one could take 18 months to be fitted I loved my daily pounds and pence readings never mind, the kids will be delighted

Other mfw successes included ;

Daily cleaning routine done

Only me for dinner so used up ys veggie dish and steamed ys veggies so a huge, healthy plateful for 35p Breakfast was porridge and lunch was leftovers so overall a thrifty day.

Recycling sorted out for collection

Meal plan and shopping list for next week done

Given that my eyes are actually starting to close I'm off to bed

PP xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 23rd Nov 17, 9:44 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Nearly made it! It's been a manic few weeks and I don't mind admitting I'm just about out of steam. Tomorrow is looking like an OK day and then I'm out for drinks and dinner with friends from work - I hope I can stay awake I'm also hoping its not going to be too spendy, as my personal spends are over this month. Dinner was prepaid last month for so hopefully it won't be so bad (famous last words!).

Today has flown by but it has been quite a good mfw day

Nsd

Spin class done

drank enough water

Visited mum and dad

Porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch and veggie tikka masala for dinner (two packs of 10p ys chopped veggies, two onions, two tins of toms, store cupboard spices and some yogurt and it was yummy and made loads). The rest is in the freezer for easier dinners when the end of term madness sets in.

Laundry done and on airers

Easy heat up dinner defrosting for the kids when I'm out tomorrow and lunches (lo) done.

Off to read for half an hour, if I can stay awake that !ong. How did I ever have a midweek social life? Couldn't do it now if I tried

PP xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 30th Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    pinkypig
    A very harassed and poorly piggy reporting in☹️. I've dragged myself through this week as I've had such a busy week at work that I hadn't much choice but I simply cannot wait for the weekend.
    I've lost track of detail this week but there's been no spends other than odd bits of grocery and some fuel.
    I'll do my full financials after the first of the month and when I've got more energy but my spends are;

Grocery £166.28/£150. I know this is over but it was a five week month and it did include 6 bottles of wine

Personal £74.01/£50. Again it's over but included two nights out that are unusual for me. It also included some boots that I wanted rather than needed

Fuel. £60.22/£130. Lift sharing and minimising unnecessary driving is definitely paying dividends

Annual spends £339.09 this included car insurance, breakdown insurance and some Christmas presents. Taking some comfort from the fact that I couldn't have done it any cheaper and I used tcb where I could and used my cb cc,

Looking forward to catching up with everyone's news

PP
    Xx
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 30th Nov 17, 9:41 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    All looks good PP. annual spends are just that, annual, at least you aren't paying out dribs and drabs each month.

I'm impressed with your £160 grocery spend. It's something I should aspire to.
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 1st Dec 17, 8:06 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    That is, indeed, very impressive! Even in those areas that have overspent, it isn't by much! Well done you and good luck for December!

• museumworker
    • By museumworker 1st Dec 17, 5:40 PM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 11,352 Thanks
    museumworker
    Good month by the looks of it - hope you have a relaxing weekend and feel back up to strength soon. I’ve had a day in bed and feel so much better for it (although conversely I sound worse, which might be a bit of a blessing!) the five week month certainly threw my grocery budget out (by three figures, not £16 I must add! )
    Mortgage 16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 6th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Emerging from my brush with the lurgy for a very late monthly update . I've managed to get to work but there's been a few days when I probably shouldn't have. Consequently I've lost track of much of the detail as its been pretty much work, feed the kids and then bed . Everything else has been very neglected and I'm hoping some energy will return before the weekend as I'm so behind with everything at home
    I have however , finally got around to working out my November totals which are ;

Avc contribution £800/£800 (net)

Os payment £616.43/£400

Os benefit £66.97

November capital reduction £1,613.19/£1216

Really pleased with this as it was an expensive month for annual costs plus there was some Christmas gifts to buy and a weekend away and a night out.

In terms of my other goals ;

2 weights sessions and three cardio - Fail. I've done no exercise for over a week do to illness but I'd stayed on track until that hit me.
    Drink 2 litres of water - mainly succeeded
    1 organising task and daily cleaning routine - success. Utility room cleared , cleaned and organised and daily tasks done.
    EBay dresses - fail
    Batch cook, meal plan and use up - success and grocery budget held up despite a five week month and succumbing to a £36 wine offer
    I was also very, very glad of my batch cooked freezer meals during the last week as I just wasn't up to cooking. It meant everyone got a healthy dinner without having to resort to takeaways or expensive convenience food.
    Goals for December are ;

Capital reduction on Mortgage £1216 to keep me on track for my mini goal of sub £95k by the end of Jan.

Drink 2 Lt of water. This needs to become a habit.

4 exercise sessions a week.

Meal plan from stores

Clear remaining leaves and dig out large unwanted shrub.

Deep clean the living room and kitchen

Budgets will be;

Personal £50

Grocery £175 I'm determined not to go mad as we are out for Christmas lunch but I have a family meal to do Xmas eve and three desserts to do for Christmas day. Luckily I have my cupboard of Shopium treats I've been collecting since September

Thank you to everyone who has dropped in an I'm sorry I've been so rubbish with my updates. I'm determined to rectify that now I have returned to the land of the living
    Hope your all having a thrifty December - I'm looking forward to having a good catch up on the diaries this weekend
    PP xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 6th Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    pinkypig
    All looks good PP. annual spends are just that, annual, at least you aren't paying out dribs and drabs each month.

I'm impressed with your £160 grocery spend. It's something I should aspire to.
    That is, indeed, very impressive! Even in those areas that have overspent, it isn't by much! Well done you and good luck for December!
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    Good month by the looks of it - hope you have a relaxing weekend and feel back up to strength soon. Iíve had a day in bed and feel so much better for it (although conversely I sound worse, which might be a bit of a blessing!) the five week month certainly threw my grocery budget out (by three figures, not £16 I must add! )
    Originally posted by museumworker

My grocery spend used to be ridiculous. Meal planning, batch cooking and the Grocery Challenge over on OS saved this Piggy's bacon
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Dec 17, 9:39 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Feeling much livelier today thank goodness. Work was the easiest its been for a fortnight as my voice has recovered a bit and we are beginning to ease into Christmas
    Ive had a lovely evening of pasta and wine and a great catch up with friends which has done me the power of good and was £10 very well spent.
    The weekly shop was done for £24.70 which was great although i forgot eggs despite my list so I'll need to pop back. I've meal planned around the freezer which is still going strong. Does anyone else take one thing out, cook with it and end up putting four things back as a result?!!
    The house is relatively clean due to the quick and easy daily cleaning tasks and the sc is going on overnight to make Tarka Daal for lunches and an odd easy dinner.
    It was rent day today so money was transferred to the annual spends and the os pots. This means I'm entering the part of the month were its just focussing on not spending as there will be no more income for a while.
    Off to bed with my book for a a quick read and lights out by 10

PPxx
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 7th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Does anyone else take one thing out, cook with it and end up putting four things back as a result?!!
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Yup and hubby hates 'freezer meals' so I only eat them when he's working away or late, which to be fair he does a lot. But, we're entering a quieter period for him so it will be operation jenga very shortly.

Pleased you are feeling better though PP
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 8th Dec 17, 11:20 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Made it! Tucked up in bed with a fruit tea, my book and with the electric blanket on. Bliss. Mother's taxi service is done for the night and I'm very much looking forward to my Saturday morning treat of a lie in with my book and a large cup of proper coffee. Appreciating the simple things so much these days and it makes for a very contented piggy

Today's successes included;

A nsd

Cheap healthy eats ( porridge for breakfast, Tarka daal for lunch and hm meatballs with tom and Basil sauce from the freezer, spaghetti and hm garlic bread using up some ys paninis).
    Daily cleaning tasks done
    Laundry folded and put away.
    Drank 1.5 litres of water
    Had coffee with an ex colleague who I haven't seen for years which was just lovely

Tomorrow's to dos are;
    Finish christmas shopping - a few bits to finish the kids stockings.
    Make a cake to take to work (do this instead of Christmas cards)
    Visit mum and dad
    Rake up leaves - again
    Try a short run - Ive been so poorly I've done nothing for over a week so it will be short and slow.
    Wash uniform and pe kit
    Relax for a couple of hours as I want this recovery to last

Way past my bedtime so I'll say night night

PP xx
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 9th Dec 17, 12:06 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Keep going PP the end of term light is starting to flicker.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 9th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Keep going PP the end of term light is starting to flicker.
    Thanks Wish - seven days

Hope alls good with you and yours xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,540Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter