Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 746Posts
    • 6,480Thanks
    pinkypig
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage
    • 22nd Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage 22nd Jul 17 at 6:12 PM
    Hi everyone, after literally years of lurking I'd very much like to join you if I may? Having been truly inspired by the commitment and achievements of Secret Saving Squirrel,Tilly and Museumworker I'm finally convinced that the best way of remaining motivated and on task is to keep a diary. I'm hoping that regular reporting will lead to increased levels of accountability and reduced levels of excuse making
    To provide a little background there's me and two piglets. I work fulltime in a job that I enjoy but which is becoming increasingly demanding in terms of time and energy. Consequently,I want to achieve financial freedom within 7 years. I aim to do this through a combination of increased voluntary pension contributions and overpayments on my mortgage.
    I find discussing these things in RL a little uncomfortable as most of my peers don't really get where I'm coming from. The perception seems to be that to live thriftily is to endure a miserable existence and living a full life involves endless spendy hobbies and events. I know the folks on here are kindred spirits so I'm hoping for a place to celebrate success and to off load anxieties as I embark on my slightly scary but rather liberating journey to freedom
    Last edited by pinkypig; 22-07-2017 at 6:22 PM.
Page 11
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 5th Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    pinkypig
    I can see Fridaaaaaay!!
    Hell its been a long week, nearly over now though - I am so looking forward to the weekend
    I've had a really productive day today, helped along by glorious sunshine which prompted and early finish

Today's wins

Laundry and bedding all line dried and put away.

Winter duvet aired and put on my bed. Electric blanket already on!

Made broccoli and cheddar soup with broccoli that needed using and spicy bean soup for the weekend. Love Autumn food

Did food shopping for £23.26 .

Chimney sweep came, swept the chimney and did a few stove maintenance/repair jobs free of charge - lovely man!

Cut back an area of garden and filled the green bin ready for this week's collection. Swept patio and decking and put the garden furniture away for the winter.

Paid expenses cheque into the bank so will os that when it clears

£3 spent in £land on two packs of wax strips ( can't believe what I used to pay to get this done) and some of their maple flavoured syrup which ds loves on pancakes.

Drank enough water and did a spin class followed by a long, hot free shower

Cheap healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo chilli for lunch and spag carbonara for dinner. Ds made bread at school today so we turned it into hm garlic bread which was lovely).

Everything left on my list now involves making phone calls. Why do I always put these off? Need to get a grip
    I'm off to catch up on Safe House followed,hopefully, by 8 hours uninterrupted sleep

PP xx
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 5th Oct 17, 9:36 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    pinkypig
    That puff of Christmas glitter, I know it well. Although at least 1 class I've taught were never allowed glitter.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Gets everywhere doesn't it?
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 5th Oct 17, 9:40 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Don't get the maple syrup and the wax strips mixed up will you?
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 6th Oct 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,237 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I love reading your diary PP, it always feels like a very calm and organised place to me
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 6th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Ahh... calm and organised. Such phenomena I can only dream of!!

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Oct 17, 6:53 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    pinkypig
    I love reading your diary PP, it always feels like a very calm and organised place to me
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Thank you ETE, it's so kind of you to drop in to say something so lovely. Its also nice to know I'm not talking to myself

Its not always calm at Piggy Towers but its definitely calmer when I get myself organised!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Oct 17, 6:54 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Ahh... calm and organised. Such phenomena I can only dream of!!
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    This from the e energy ball who earns survey money on the bus on the way home
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Would love to say Happy Friday but I missed it!
    Happy Saturday!

Yesterday truly disappeared on me but in the nicest possible way.
    Work was good and its always nice to end the week on a positive note. My marking isn't quite up to date but another hour should do it. I spent the evening celebrating a friend's birthday which rounded the day off perfectly.

Wins included

Requested TCB payout
    NSD
    Lo for lunch and freezer food sorted out for the weekend so no cooking
    Did the ironing
    Laundry done and on the airer (as a family we generate a lot of sweaty, muddy sports kit but at least it dries quick)

No real money news although I know I need to think about extra income so I'm pondering what I can realistically fit in without compromising our quality of life and without running myself into the ground.
    DD is away with friends and DS is with his dad so I'm planning a weekend of walking, a long run, time with friends and relaxing. Starting by taking a coffee back to bed and reading for an hour. Why do I always wake at 5.30 at the weekend and feel like a zombie when the alarm goes off at 6 during the week?

PP x
    • museumworker
    • By museumworker 7th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 11,397 Thanks
    museumworker
    Gah to early rising although at least it means you get a little more weekend At least that's what I tell myself when I am awoken at 545ish by DD2.

Sounds like you had a lovely Friday and a very relaxing weekend planned. Totally agree it's easy to over stretch yourself when looking for extra income. Maybe a cashback credit card or incentive for switching bank account?
    Mortgage 16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 8th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Oh I do love a lazy Sunday
    . Its been great if not terribly productive

Hi MW extra weekend, what a lovely way of looking at it. I'm going to follow your approach! I didn't have to this morning though, I didn't wake until 7.30 like I said, lazy Sunday...

I've done a few hours work this morning but other than that I've done nothing but relax and read. I even had a Nana nap this afternoon which is unheard of. I'm blaming 12 days without a day off and the snuffles because I refuse to admit its my age

Despite my sloth I have had some wins;

Time with friends -priceless

Happy kids - ditto

All meals have been healthy, cheap and straight from the freezer so zero effort (spicy bean soup, broccoli and Cheddar soup, ys rolls, veggie curry and hm naan, pasta bake using freezer ratatouille ). This also meant more people time rather than loads if time in the kitchen

Foraged blackberry and Apple crumble with healthy topping.

Os £19.86 expenses cheque

Nsd yesterday and £1.76 grocery spend today

Off to continue my lazy theme with a couple if hours TV and and early night

PP xx
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 8th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sounds perfect.
    Have a great week.
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Oct 17, 8:48 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Sounds perfect.
    Have a great week.
    Thanks Wish,you too
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Oct 17, 9:07 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Must keep up!
    I feel really disappointed in myself when I miss a diary update because they keep me so motivated and focused. However yesterday it just wasn't to be
    I had a tough day at work, mainly, I think because I'm a bit under the weather. I did have a nice walk before dinner and a relaxing evening snuggled up on the sofa so it wasn't all bad

Taking a look back at yesterday and today there have been a few wins despite a general feeling of lethargy. These included;

Two nsd

Cheap healthy freezer food so low cost and no cooking

£1.10 TCB payout offset

Rent day. Paid for gas safety certificate but os the remaining £690.86

Found lo in the freezer for tomorrow's lunch

Load of laundry folded and away

Unexpected bonus time with both kids

A walk and a spin class done

Visited my parents who are on good form after a very tricky patch. Hope it lasts, its so nice to see them happy.

Tomorrow's tasks include;

a marking catch up

Trying a new excecise class which looks a bit

Continue operation freezer eat up.

Finish ds's coursework

Daily cleaning routine.

Continue to mull over generating extra income

Off to bed very soon as I'm pooped -again

PP x
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Oct 17, 11:56 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Sorry to hear you had a pants day yesterday. Keep smiling, surely the countdown to half term is on?
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 11th Oct 17, 8:11 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Hoping today is a better one for you - enjoy the new exercise class.....I look forward to a report!!

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!

• pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Sorry to hear you had a pants day yesterday. Keep smiling, surely the countdown to half term is on?
    Hoping today is a better one for you - enjoy the new exercise class.....I look forward to a report!!
    Thank you both, its the only bad one I've had this half term so I shouldn't grumble. The last two days have been much better

New class was so hard, I'm going to suffer tomorrow. Should be ripped by Christmas though
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Trundling on...
    I've had a good day today. Work was busy and the day flew by and although it was the kind of autumn weather that makes you want to hunker down I got out to my new exercise class. I was a bit nervous because weights aren't my strong point and all the kit looked a bit daunting . A nice lady showed me what I needed and how to assemble it so I didn't feel too much of a prat. It was so hard: My arms still feel a bit shaky and weak so I bet Ill be stiff and sore tomorrow! On a positive note I coped fine with the legs and the core bits but hell fire I've got work to do on my upper body!! Quite enjoyed it though - I'm weird like that

Other wins included :

£2 from try me free juice offer paid so that was os plus a 69p TT

Cheap healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo pasta and salad for lunch, veg curry and hm naan bread from the freezer for dinner). Quick, nutritious and practically no effort- you've got to love batch cooking

Heating still not on but big warm cardigan dug out and in use.

Freezer ready meals (read left overs ) defrosting for lunch tomorrow

Ds's course work done ( he was relieved and grateful so that was a couple of hours well spent).

I was less successful with the following

No cleaning done

A bit of a spendy day as I needed to fill up with petrol, pay the balance for my work Xmas dinner and ordered a bulk box of popping corn as I'm down to my last bag it'll last ages but its a chunk out of my grocery budget.

Marking not quite up to date

Meal plan and shopping list not done . Also need to check what's in and what needs using up.

I'm now going to try and stay awake long enough to catch up on the diaries. I read these more often than a book now -they are seriously motivating, even when you're knackered:

PP x
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 11th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Was it body pump you did? I love weights....and when I'm not pretending I'm a runner, they are my focus. Give me a heavy bar and tell me to squat and I'm a happy bunny! Before my fracture, I could happily squat more than my bodyweight on the bar. I miss it so much and am desperate to return!! I envy your class!!

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 11th Oct 17, 10:21 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Pleased things are better today pp.

I don't know how you find the time and energy for all the classes, I used to struggle to get out of the car and into the house some nights I was that tired.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 12th Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 6,480 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Was it body pump you did? I love weights....and when I'm not pretending I'm a runner, they are my focus. Give me a heavy bar and tell me to squat and I'm a happy bunny! Before my fracture, I could happily squat more than my bodyweight on the bar. I miss it so much and am desperate to return!! I envy your class!!
    Pleased things are better today pp.

I don't know how you find the time and energy for all the classes, I used to struggle to get out of the car and into the house some nights I was that tired.
    Yes it was. It was sooooo hard please don't ask his much weight I was using as I'd be too embarrassed to tell you
    Think I'm going to like it once I build up a bit of stamina.

I have to force myself out of the door most nights Wish but its only around the corner and I have learned (though its taken decades) that its when I'm tired I really benefit the most. It keeps me in a happy place and helps with my sleep patterns that can often be a bit rubbish.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,962Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter