dog burps loudly after eating

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    If you're satisfied it's not a medical issue, how about looking for a pet behaviour therapist?

Some are actually pretty good at what they do.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    KxMx wrote: »
    If you're satisfied it's not a medical issue, how about looking for a pet behaviour therapist?

Some are actually pretty good at what they do.

I did ask the vet about that. He thinks due to my dog's age, 9, it'd be a waste of time.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 27 July 2017 at 12:01AM
    Well you are his owner, so it's up to you.

I think for a Vet to condemn a 9 year old dog as too old to bother for further problem solving, is more than slightly ridiculous...

Maybe a second Veterinary opinion then, you say the burping is new?

If it was me I'd do both.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    zaksmum wrote: »
    although I have to say, when he's given something like steak trimmings (I get desperate at times) he practically has my hand off.
    zaksmum wrote: »
    I've tried every dog food on the market, and short of giving up and feeding him best steak I just don't know what else I can do.
    My first thought was have you tried grain-free foods, or feeding him from a raised bowl?

However, maybe raw feeding is the way to go?

If your near Pets at Home, look at the freezers and try either the 400g blocks of Natures Menu Mince or Nuggets (mince you thaw & mix with some veg, nuggets already includes veg - for some reason my dog isn't as keen on the nuggets).

I don't feed raw all the time just once a week, so buying these from Pets at Home is fine for me, but there are other cheaper options for raw feeding (and plenty of advice) if that is the route you try.
  • zaksmum
    I'm currently giving him gluten free food, just to see if it made a difference...it didn't.

I will try the Pets at Home suggestion - I've tried just about everything else.

I'm sure he has severe anxiety about eating though.

My husband says the dog can sense that I'm anxious when I put his food down, hoping he'll eat it, though I really do try not to let it show.

I've had the dog since he was 8 weeks old - if he was a rescue I'd think he'd been shouted at every time he went near food, though I know thats not the case!
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    so have you had this problem all 9 years then?
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    will he take food directly from your hand, or is he nervous about that too?
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Does he eat if or when your husband or anyone else feeds him?
  • zaksmum
    easy wrote: »
    so have you had this problem all 9 years then?

When he was a puppy he was fine - typical dog, scoffed everything the minute it went in his bowl.

When he was about 3 the problem started. I never shout at him for not eating, or make a fuss. I can't imagine why he is like this at all.
  • zaksmum
    He will take food from my hand but it's still a battle. He turns his head away and starts trembling as if he thinks I'm trying to poison him. Unless it's a bit of chicken or steak of course, he wolfs that!

He's the same with everyone no matter who feeds him. He's loved and praised all the time,always has companionship and exercise.

If I look after my son's dog, he'll eat because he knows the other dog will eat it if he leaves it.

And he never ever, even on a good day, finishes everything in his bowl!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure