Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 19th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 1,737Posts
    • 710Thanks
    littlewren
    0 WOW
    Candle & Scent - is it a legit company?
    • 19th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Candle & Scent - is it a legit company? 19th Jul 17 at 3:18 PM
    Hi, I don't quite know where to post this so please feel free to move if in wrong place admin.

My daughter ordered a candle for her wedding day from Candle & Scent Ltd over a week ago & according to the delivery terms she should have received it by now. She didn't receive e-mail confirmation when she placed the order and although she registered and created a password, she's not able to log in, it won't accept her details. She e-mailed them but got no reply. I tried to ring them for her today as my daughter's at work but each time I'm kept hanging on for absolutely ages and have to put the phone down.

https://candleandscent.com/

I know nothing about this company other than that they are apparently based in Covent Garden and are registered with Companies House.

I'm concerned in case my daughter has lost her money. Hopefully I'm just being a worrywort. Has anyone had any dealings with this online company?

TIA
    Last edited by littlewren; 19-07-2017 at 3:23 PM.
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
Page 2
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 25th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 31,871 Posts
    • 37,588 Thanks
    Browntoa
    0203 numbers are virtual numbers that give the appearance of being in London , this is definitely a scam site
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 25th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    unforeseen
    0203 numbers are virtual numbers that give the appearance of being in London , this is definitely a scam site
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Not all. BT issue 0203 together with commonly known 0207 & 0208 to businesses and individuals. It started in 2005 as an additional number range for London.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 25th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 31,871 Posts
    • 37,588 Thanks
    Browntoa
    But it's specifically only allocated by virtual number companies unlike the other London ranges

With the evidence so far of the site I still call scam
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 26th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • 31,871 Posts
    • 37,588 Thanks
    Browntoa
    https://www.lovemoney.com/news/28892/we-must-act-on-these-0203-phone-number-scammers

I had always believed that numbers such as 020 3xxx xxxx were in the London phone area – they were, I thought, used because the 020 7xxx xxxx and 020 8xxx xxxx configurations (central and outer London respectively) had run out. The use of the “3” expanded phone numbers in this area by 50%.
    But I was wrong, in part at least. While many London organisations use the “3” because there are not enough other numbers left, that's not the whole story.
    The rules allow firms to sell “virtual” 020 3 numbers. These give the impression of an organisation in London.
    One I found promised that 0203 phone numbers “would give you a local, London presence to enhance your company’s image”. It would enable you to “target specific areas of the UK market even if you are not based there
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 27th Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    littlewren
    Hey guys any update regarding this?...I also ordered from this website with no confirmation email or answer to phone calls...very sketchy...however so far they haven't deducted any funds so fingers crossed!
    Originally posted by NEEDMOREMONEY
    Weird isn't it, my daughter said that she checked her bank account and nothing has been taken out yet either so of course no need to report them but it's still annoying and very strange. Their website looks really good too.
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 27th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    littlewren
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    If they haven't taken any money out though (as they haven't as yet from my daughter's account) what do they gain from having this kind of scam site?
    • TommyNooka
    • By TommyNooka 2nd Aug 17, 3:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TommyNooka
    I've recently placed an order with this website too (30/07/17) and have had no correspondence since, I wish I had noticed this thread earlier.
    It looks like a legit site and it's one of the first sponsored results on Google when I search for Stoneglow candles, probably should have been a bit more sceptical of their pricing though.
    There's been no money taken from my account yet but I'm wondering whether I should tell my bank in case they try and take something in the future.
    Has anyone actually received or heard anything from them?
    • BertieBart
    • By BertieBart 4th Aug 17, 9:51 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BertieBart
    Warning
    This is a Warning to All who have recently tried to purchase form Candle & Scent.
    My Daughter also purchased a Candle from this website, around (06-07-2017) which never came, money was never taken for it, and, when she tried to contact by phone, and email, she had no replies. she gave up as they hadn't taken money.

BE WARNED, Yesterday & Last night her debit card details were used to buy goods fraudulently.
    Anyone who has bought from this company, (as it may be the source) please check your accounts or contact your bank to check.
    She has not used her card anywhere else that could have been source, and this seems strange that this company is not sending out candles or replying to emails ect!
    Last edited by BertieBart; 04-08-2017 at 2:55 PM. Reason: ADD information, ps fraudulent use around London and Thorpe Park.
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 8th Aug 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    littlewren
    This is a Warning to All who have recently tried to purchase form Candle & Scent.
    My Daughter also purchased a Candle from this website, around (06-07-2017) which never came, money was never taken for it, and, when she tried to contact by phone, and email, she had no replies. she gave up as they hadn't taken money.

BE WARNED, Yesterday & Last night her debit card details were used to buy goods fraudulently.
    Anyone who has bought from this company, (as it may be the source) please check your accounts or contact your bank to check.
    She has not used her card anywhere else that could have been source, and this seems strange that this company is not sending out candles or replying to emails ect!
    Originally posted by BertieBart
    Thank you very much for posting this, I have passed it on to my daughter and she's going to phone her bank.
    • BertieBart
    • By BertieBart 11th Aug 17, 9:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BertieBart
    Couldn't agree more with you dlusman.
    • xtinesan1
    • By xtinesan1 18th Aug 17, 9:18 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    xtinesan1
    I also ordered something from Candle & Scent on 25 July. Received a page with an order number but like everyone no email confirmation and no charge to my credit card after about a week. I then sent an email through their website, to which I received no reply and tried to ring and got no reply. Given I used to be an auditor my alarm bells were ringing, so I rang my credit card company and actually cancelled my card and got a new one because it all felt dodgy to me. I have not to this day (18 August) received a reply to my email, a query as to why my card couldn't be charged (after I'd cancelled it) or indeed anything to indicate I ever ordered anything. From what I can find, the company was incorporated on 3 May 2017 and has one director, Thomas Milner. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole as I don't believe they are legit.
    Last edited by xtinesan1; 18-08-2017 at 9:25 AM.
    • xtinesan1
    • By xtinesan1 18th Aug 17, 9:20 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    xtinesan1
    Cancel any card used with them
    Based on others experience I would cancel your card. I cancelled my credit card when I failed to get any response from this company and I am glad, having now found this thread, that I did.

My only worry now is whether anything can be done with the details entered when I was "buying" the product. Anyone got any views on this? Thanks
    Last edited by xtinesan1; 18-08-2017 at 9:26 AM.
    • xtinesan1
    • By xtinesan1 18th Aug 17, 9:33 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    xtinesan1
    Now a Trust Pilot review site
    I have also just started a review page on Trust Pilot. So to get the message out there it would be worth others who have had a bad experience posting on here too. I did not elect to let Candle & Scent know because if it's a scam then I don't want the company changing its name to keep going.
    • Izbiz8
    • By Izbiz8 22nd Aug 17, 8:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Izbiz8
    I tried ordering a present on candle and scent after finding it to be cheapest on google shopping. But when I put in my details, it said that my card issuer had declined the payment. I went out for the day (and was able to use my debit card with no issues) and came back and tried ordering again with my credit card and the same problem happened. I rung up my debit card provider and they couldn't even see that I had tried to make a payment. This was on the 19th Aug 2017. On the 21st, I had transactions appear on my credit card that weren't mine - boohoo and APL shrewsbury. I cancelled my credit card and talking to my credit card provider, there were also pending payments from netflix and wetherspoons and the APL one was a limo company!!! I didn't have any transactions on my debit card but I cancelled that too as I'm sure it was just a matter of time before there would be.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY IT IS A SCAM AND THEY TAKE YOUR DETAILS!!!!

I have also reported this to the action fraud police website, as I would encourage everyone else to do to catch these people!
    • xtinesan1
    • By xtinesan1 23rd Aug 17, 9:39 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    xtinesan1
    Reported to Action Fraud
    I also reported the company to Action Fraud and this is the reference number if anyone wants to include it in a report they make as added weight!
    National Crime Reference Number: NFRC170801974867

Please try and get the word out not to use this company.
    • sturgeon
    • By sturgeon 30th Aug 17, 9:57 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    sturgeon
    Tried to order but the payment page failed. I stupidly retried with another card, same thing happened and assumed it was due to being at a fairly new address (which works at countless other websites perfectly). No answer to phone calls today and my bank confirmed no payment attempt was made, so the payment page is presumably fake to collect card details. Headline prices are competitive but not insanely so, and the payment page was secure so seemed legit to me.
    • TommyNooka
    • By TommyNooka 31st Aug 17, 10:05 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TommyNooka
    Almost exactly a month after i placed my order there are a couple of dodgy transactions on my account, a payment of £40 to a Go Karting company in Manchester (I'm in Glasgow) then it has been refunded the next day.
    I was a bit naive not reporting it originally but I have been fortunate that I have not lost any money, think that attempt was just a test on the card. I've reported it to my Bank and they're sending out a new card.
    If anyone has used this site I would definitely get your card cancelled rather than waiting to see what they try with it.
    If I Google Stoneglow candles, Candle & Scent are still the first result in Googles SPONSORED results, they are paying Google to help facilitate their fraud. I'm going to try and find out how I report this to Google.
    UPDATE: I've completed a report to Google re the phishing nature of the website, doubtful whether they will actually do anything if they are making money from them.
    Last edited by TommyNooka; 31-08-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Update
    • Hideaway
    • By Hideaway 31st Aug 17, 4:41 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Hideaway
    I've just come across this forum and I also want to add a warning. A few days ago I tried to order a candle and got "card declined" message / email. I tried another card and got the same. Gave up and thought no more of it, as I used the card with no problem in the days that followed. Today I had a call from my card company asking me to verify transactions. I didn't recognise 3 of them. Turned out my card had been used 10 mins before the phone call (and declined by the card company, fortunately ... as the IP address was picked up as not the normal one I use). I immediately cancelled the card. I would urge anyone who has tried to order, to cancel the card they used.
    If only I had done the research first, instead of after. Lesson learned.
    Good luck to anyone who tried to order from these scammers.
    Edited... I ended up cancelling all my cards, for peace of mind, as I couldn't remember which other card I had tried, after the first "card declined" message.
    I posted again further down, as I just saw that they are still showing up in google searches, so checked back here for updates.
    Last edited by Hideaway; 15-09-2017 at 1:22 PM.
    • Pam46
    • By Pam46 4th Sep 17, 8:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pam46
    The same thing happened to me!! I thought perhaps i had made an error so re-ordered.
    No email confirmation,no replies to my emails or calls.
    Yesterday on the 03/0920/2017 i rrceived a random text from my 'bank' and then a call asking me to press any key,which i didn't do. I called my bank and told them about it and they checked my transactions, there was nothing taken out by candle,but my card along with the security pin had been used in london!!!
    I normally only pay via pp,but this company didn't give me the option!

I am almost certain that this is a scam and a fake website that is collecting peoples names,addresses and card details!!!

I have been reimbursed nt my bank and i called the company that the transactiin was made to ans their fraud team are investingating too.
    • um09ab
    • By um09ab 13th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    um09ab
    *****fraud*****
    Please do NOT purchase anything from CANDLE AND SCENT!!!!
    I bought a candle online (a genuine looking https site). Candle never arrived, no reply to emails, no contact number.
    A week later £600 was taken from my account. Bank and Police informed.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS !!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,034Posts Today

8,285Users online

Martin's Twitter