Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,758Posts
    • 20,765Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 94
    • Floss
    • By Floss 3rd Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    • 4,096 Posts
    • 33,749 Thanks
    Floss
    We don't have lofts as the attics were converted into rooms years ago. We have one small loft-space cupboard under the eaves on one side which houses all the Christmas deccies & misc. gift wrap.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 3rd Dec 17, 8:26 PM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,811 Thanks
    kittie
    I have done too much sitting today, too cold and damp to go on a cycle ride earlier and nothing much achieved so I went and did a quick pass through some clothes and now have a full trolley for the cs tomorrow. That includes, hangs head , one unworn warm `smart` short coat that makes me look like frau merkel. All good stuff in that trolley but will be better re-homed tbh and there is another jacket in there, also unworn, squashable and quilted

I have finally managed also to release an elephant jumbo bean bag, yet another `should be useful` item that has only been used once then stored in a bedroom, taking up much room. Dd has e mailed me back, very ecstatic at potential ownership

I honestly cannot see any more clothing to be removed until spring. Maybe I should spend more time reading as I have books that should go, just got to read them first
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 3rd Dec 17, 8:33 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 16,700 Thanks
    Siebrie
    We are about to send a secondhand car to Africa, and will fill it with stuff for the relatives. We did a sort-out on Saturday and what was taking up a quarter of the loft space, now fits in four moving boxes (I’ve got mad packing skillz!). I had to insist we either do it together on the weekend, or just me on Wednesday, because there is a lot of dds’ old stuff in that lot and I definitely did not want them to help me. DH did not think it would be a problem, so I told him he would be the one dealing with all the emotions, and suddenly he suggested sorting through the items in the guest bedroom, barring the stairs with a large box. He popped a film on for dds to watch. The car and contents will leave in a fortnight, and it will take about a month before it gets to its destination. We hope to sell it for a profit, and if it works, we may do it more often.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7101,62= £ 6309.50 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 4th Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,765 Thanks
    Slinky
    Not a happy bunny this morning, somebody ran into the back of my OH's car at a roundabout this morning. He's a bit shaken up, the other driver was quite aggressive and OH thought he was going to be hit by him. He got the driver details which would appear to check out (I found the bloke on Facebook and OH has confirmed it was him).

Booger. That's another 5 years of trying to remember claim details whenever either of us wants an insurance quote. It's only about a year since we had to stop mentioning a previous shunt he had with somebody else running into the back of him at a roundabout.....

ETA I do find it annoying that you have to key all that stuff in, these insurance companies all 'talk' to each other, so they know what accidents you've had previously.
    Last edited by Slinky; 04-12-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 4th Dec 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I cannot believe I have found more stuff to get rid of. Where does it all come from?

I'm dropping off some empty wine bottles today and have put some clothes into the wash ready to go to the CS tomorrow.

Not a happy bunny this morning, somebody ran into the back of my OH's car at a roundabout this morning. He's a bit shaken up, the other driver was quite aggressive and OH thought he was going to be hit by him. He got the driver details which would appear to check out (I found the bloke on Facebook and OH has confirmed it was him).
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Sorry about that.xx
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 4th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,765 Thanks
    Slinky
    . Where does it all come from?

I'm dropping off some empty wine bottles today

Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Generally empty wine bottles start off as full ones.......
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 28,180 Posts
    • 155,261 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I got back home a few days ago, from a trip to my mum's old house to do as much as we could of sorting things out. It was astonishing!

- recycling bin and rubbish bin both *completely* full.
    - two full carloads of stuff to the local charity shop.
    - two huge piles of stuff, one for me and one for my sister. Some of it came down south with us. My brother currently lives in the house, so his pile of stuff is in the fabric of the house, so to speak
    - two pieces of furniture earmarked for the tip, plus both TVs and several other things have had their futures decided

I'm really, really happy with what we did.
    Retired August 2016
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 4th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    • 3,210 Posts
    • 28,204 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Karmacat. Sounds like a very productive trip.

Slinky. Sorry about the car incident, all so annoying when it was no fault of your OH.

A good pair of leather gloves, now too small for my swollen joints, a lovely red leather purse/wallet which is joyful on the occasions I open the drawer it resided in, but don't use as it is too bulky and book on nutrition which I had somehow duplicated.... Probably brain fog!! All dropped into CS this mornig
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 4th Dec 17, 2:58 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 29,303 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Sorry to hear this - hope your OH is okay!
    V3ry - £555.59
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 4th Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I want to read through a few blogs about a capsule wardrobe this evening. I tried it before, but clearly I did it wrong as I still have things in my wardrobe that I don't wear!

This will hopefully cull some more clothes for the CS tomorrow.

Generally empty wine bottles start off as full ones.......
    I wasn't talking about the wine bottles, I was talking about finding more donations in my house for the chazzer!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 4th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,765 Thanks
    Slinky

I wasn't talking about the wine bottles, I was talking about finding more donations in my house for the chazzer!
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I know, I was just teasing
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 4th Dec 17, 6:54 PM
    • 3,586 Posts
    • 41,772 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Hope DH is ok Slinky, I agree with you about the insurance companies. I've just had to fill in all the details of a burglary we had in the house 4 years ago, hopefully this is the last time.

Sounds very productive Karmacat, hope it wasn't too traumatic.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 28,180 Posts
    • 155,261 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sounds very productive Karmacat, hope it wasn't too traumatic.
    Originally posted by camelot1001
    Thanks camelot. No, it was okay - splitting things between us was fine, the sad bit was when we had to start saying "we can't just keep everything ... ". It's the right thing to say, but it still felt quite sad.
    Retired August 2016
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 4th Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 6,637 Thanks
    catshark88
    Well done Karma Cat and I hope your DH is OK Slinky.

We Kondoed half the carpets in the new house into the garage today. We're going to amass stuff there and then get a skip when we have enough. I have found someone who may want the kitchen, which would be good.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Dec 17, 8:51 AM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,765 Thanks
    Slinky
    Good luck with the carpets catshark. We thought we were doing OK with doing up our new house until it came to taking up the lounge carpet. What should have been a 10 minutes job took 2 of us 3 hours each as the underlay had disintegrated, some stuck to the floor, the rest of it turned powdery. Fortunately a workman we had in told us about a long handled floor scraper he'd seen in Jewson's and OH nipped down and bought it. Dreadful stuff old underlay.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 5th Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Yes good luck from me too. First house I bought after oh and I split had 3 other carpets plus wads of newspaper under the dining room top carpet and 2of them were old foam backs which have turned to dust. My DD and I filled 20 black sacks with newspaper and grey dust.
    • wort
    • By wort 6th Dec 17, 7:33 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 7,117 Thanks
    wort
    My loft is empty. Today I lifted all the Xmas Dec's and 7 ft tree from the eaves in the garage, which was heavy going, and I think when it comes time to put them back I'll have to rethink, as I don't want to rely on others to get them down,and up for that matter.
    I cleaned all the windows in and out on Monday ,and today I've rearranged the furniture in the living room to make room for the tree, so I cleaned all the skirting and doors, dusted the cornice etc.

I put up the outside lights, and the wreath in kitchen,and conservatory. Just the tree to do which will be done with dgson on Sunday in time for hubby's birthday.
    I just hope I don't get too emotional in front of dgson, today was bad enough.

I'm going to do another kondo of Xmas Dec's when I decide what's needed for tree.
    Slinky I hope your hubby is ok.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I bought some right bargains at charity shops yesterday so I went through my wardrobe and put it all in a beautiful order.

This meant I found some more things to get rid of:

Two pairs of PJ bottoms that do not fit well, you need them to be cosy.

Pair of black leggings with a hole in the side. I wore them into London the other day! I hope my dress covered it.

Socks with a huge hole on the bottom. I don't know what I do with my clothes.

Lots of carpy plastic coat hangers.

Rubbish and recycling all out too.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 7th Dec 17, 7:41 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 20,989 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I'm really feeling the benefits of KM this season. I'm embarassed to admit that in previous years sometimes I haven't put any decorations up because the house was a mess and it felt wrong to hang decorations on top of it all. This year everything was easy to locate - cards in one box, gift tags etc in another, and the decs themselves were reduced significantly last year.

Because I've got rid of so many clothes, I realised I've got two completely empty drawers and that's where presents are being stored before wrapping - so I won't (I hope) be doing that thing where I can't find something that I knew I bought, and end up buying something else.

I'm pretty sure that as I come to put things on the tree, a few more will be released to the universe to brighten someone else's Christmas! The whole thing feels much less stressful this year, I've even written my cards which is a first - usually it's the night before last posting date!

Anyone else finding it easier after KM?
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Dec 17, 9:39 AM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,811 Thanks
    kittie
    opposite to me polly, re the tree. I have a lovely skandi dowel tree and KM`d tree ornaments, enough lovely ones left for the tree, I kept all the really nice room ornaments and a few of the bucilla christmas room hangers, the ones I made 10 years ago. Putting everything out would take one hour but I am not doing it this year. I will be out 2 separate days over that week, choosing to come back to sleep in my own bed, in peace and with a calm house and nothing to take down. Its a one-off but goes with the few nice treats I bought for myself and the lovely dvds that I am looking forward to

My weight is staying off, phew and it is slower now but thankfully steady. I notice trousers becoming looser, so they will be sorted in a couple of months and my wardrobe looks loads better with finer tops hanging in a neat row. These tops no longer `cling` where they shouldn`t, hence the all enveloping tops have gone

A trip out shortly, I have 4 bedding sets to recycle, 2 poly/cotton and 2 flannel sets. I have decided that I am staying with cozee home for the foreseeable. I have a nice empty space in my airing cupboard now

Me too Polly, this KM is benefiting me no end now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,252Users online

Martin's Twitter