Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,759Posts
    • 20,768Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 93
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 2nd Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 6,641 Thanks
    catshark88
    I have one set of plain, white crockery. Probably 8 place settings, so we've got plenty, but it's all in use.

I had a lunch party yesterday and had 20 or so people round. I decided to get some really nice paper plates (2 sizes) and cups as I love entertaining, but don't do it often enough to need to carry so much stuff.

Afterwards, we shared the remaining food and plates/ cups, so none went to waste. My clearing up consisted of 2 loads of quick washes in the machine, half a bag of rubbish and a bag of recycling. I've never had such an easy party! Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, so hopefully that will work in the future.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 2nd Dec 17, 8:23 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 21,002 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    That sounds really practical, Catshark. No need to store stuff and no washing up.

Twenty-five years ago when I bought my first house on my own post-divorce, I went to IKEA to buy some furniture. I remember my friend urging me to buy a few more things, and I bought a set of dinner plates, tea plates, cups and saucers and bowls. They were nice, plain white with an orange/brown patterned rim and I thought they'd do for a bit.

Fast forward ... I have chipped one bowl, very slightly. That's it - the entire set is as good as new although I think I gave the cups and saucers away a few years back. I still quite like them but I honestly never imagined I'd still be using them 25 years later! There's nothing else I've seen that I like well enough to buy instead.

The Denby wedding-present service stayed with my ex. Never really liked it anyway.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 2nd Dec 17, 10:23 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 16,700 Thanks
    Siebrie
    It took me a few years (or a decade...) to realise that the items I bought as 'it'll do', actually stayed with me for a very long time, for several reasons. I didn't want to spend the time looking for the perfect item, I didn't have the money or didn't want to spend the money, the item still functioned so why replace it, I wanted to save the world and not waste resources, etc. These days, I try to buy or keep only the things I really like for the items that I care about. For instance: I like my kitchen towels and tea towels bright and colourful, but I really couldn't care about the state or colour of the bath towels.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7101,62= £ 6309.50 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • kittie
    • By kittie 3rd Dec 17, 8:27 AM
    • 11,372 Posts
    • 64,819 Thanks
    kittie
    I have tried very hard to wear cotton layers this winter and I give in, I cringe if the doorbell rings and I change when I go out, so I have been buying woollen tops, thin ones, all online. So I am going to do another cull soon, one in and at least one out and that will include hm and home spun overtops, too thick for me, I never get cold enough to wear them. Pure wool decomposes nicely in my allotment soil
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 3rd Dec 17, 9:48 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 9,463 Thanks
    tibawo
    Really wish I could KD this cold as it is getting on my chest and i really wanted to go the allotment but think I will make myself worse.

Totally agree with the paper plates. We use them at the caravan breaks where we can to cut down on the washing up.

Hoping to have tidied today doubt I'll have the energy for anything else!
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    My ten pound weekly challenge - weeks completed 3/52 missed target 1
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 3rd Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 7,447 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I got inspiration yesterday after watching some of the links on the simplify thread.

I have a few more things to go in the charity shop bag for tomorrow. I don't have a lot of clothes, but I have been reading more about capsule wardrobes. I want to only get clothes in certain colours if I buy any "new" ones from charity shops.

I looked through my toiletries too, why do I buy two or three of everything?! I have some mouthwash to use up and I used up some unwanted face lotion as eye makeup remover.

I did throw some things away as they were just rubbish, I can't remember what they were now...
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 3rd Dec 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4,759 Posts
    • 20,768 Thanks
    Slinky
    Over breakfast this morning OH agreed with me that most of the stuff in the loft needs to go.......... He doesn't want the loft in the new house cluttered up with stuff. We may try and put a pitched roof on the garage which would create some storage for suitcases and Christmas decs, but other than that, we really don't want loads of other stuff. I think there's more up there than we've remembered. Some of it, decorating stuff, will probably find a home in the new garage which is much bigger than our current one, and some stuff we'll need to keep for tax reasons for a while, but the prospect of a darned good clearout is ahead. I'm hoping we can get rid of his paperwork from his degree........ It's over 30 years old.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 11,430 Posts
    • 219,630 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    As a family, we've long had a tradition of doing a clearout in the loft in the doldrums between Christmas and New Year. It's not the nicest of weather and there's only so much chocolate eating and TV movie watching you can do, I find.

I don't have a loft so I have to declutter one vicariously at the parents' place. I feel pretty confident that I know what and where most things are. There is a major oversupply of yarn up there but I have been told by Mum that it's non-negotiable. As she is getting better about releasing some things, I have decided not to even mention yarn, unless it is to fetch some of it down for her next project.

On the downside, it is bulky and taking up a good 50% of the storage space up there but, on the plus side, it is contained, lightweight, not liable to go off and can be gifted to others in the fullness of time, so won't go to waste.

I have just purchased the last element of the gift I shall give my best gal pal for Crimble and it will involve a small running gag; the gift box has travelled to and fro between ourselves a few times already and I have had custody of it for the past 11 months, so will be freeing up some space in my cupboard.

I also have a small admission which I have been toying with since the whole B & H saga started; I have two of their giftboxes. Square carboard white ones with butterflies printed on them and purple lids which are plain but for their logo around the rim. They nest. I wombled them empty from someone else's household thinking I'd use them for something but I haven't yet. They're taking up space but are sturdy and useful...... what should I do with them, lovely peeps?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Floss
    • By Floss 3rd Dec 17, 3:28 PM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 33,767 Thanks
    Floss
    Kitchen corralling? Holding bits of other stuf at the parental residence?
    • greent
    • By greent 3rd Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 6,507 Posts
    • 65,678 Thanks
    greent
    I've sat here for several minutes trying to think of what B&H could stand for that isn't Bens0n and Hedge5 (my mum's cigarettes when I was little - she hasn't smoked in 30+ years now) - and I've got it - the toiletries stuff! (which I actually don't mind getting (scent dependant)) GQ - if you've had them for a while and no use has presented itself then can you/ a family member used them to conceal awkward/ obvious shaped gifts before wrapping? Can they be used to corral stuff at the parental home? If not, then recycling them may be the way to go.....

Slinky - we have 2 lofts. The small internal one is over the playroom (ground floor - sticky out bit of house) and houses suitcases, 4 boxes of hand me downs for DS2/ DS3 from DS1/ DS2 (sized and labelled) and Xmas decs.

The garage one (detached from house - had mice in it last year ) holds business tax records in RU boxes, a small box of sentimental (most was mouse destroyed and went), things like flippers for holidays, fake Xmas tree and stand for real Xmas tree and boxed stuff for selling at NNS. Oh, and DD's old single bed which may be recycled to DS2 or DS3 when they get rid of their cabin beds. We have a lot less than we used to but possibly still too much. Way less in our garage than many of my peers, though.

Have spent a couple or more hours of the day listing outgrown toys on flebay - had to get DS3 to sort them into specific sets first (I haven't a clue and it's quicker getting him to do it than me look it all up online) Hopefully some will go before Xmas, but I have left it rather late. Good to have got it done though - and the space when they all go (eventually) will be fab!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 3rd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 4,759 Posts
    • 20,768 Thanks
    Slinky
    I think I'd be quite happy to do loft emptying between Christmas and New Year. However, we'll be working - delivering my business stock. This is something I'll be glad to see that back of when we move to the new house when I give up the business. This may be the second to last Christmas we do it - at least I have a lot more of OH's help at Christmas than I do for the rest of the year.

Are there other containers you have that are useful but not beautiful that you could swap the contents for GQ?

Is there any use for them at the junktique emporium?
    • bumblebeany
    • By bumblebeany 3rd Dec 17, 3:50 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    bumblebeany
    This weeks progress -
    Bag of glassware from parents house washed and sparkled and sent to cs.
    Bag of randoms books, dvd, clothes, toiletries, craft stash of my own to same charity shop.
    The cs in question is old school and accepts everything under the sun and has good bargain baskets to search through. Saw that they also sell hand knitted childrens toys which a lot won't stock anymore cos of elf and safety so mum is now on a crochet blitz working through a tiny amount of her yarn stash making cute creatures for them.

Attacked some of the ice in the freezer (supposed to be frost free), will do a proper defrost later.

Continued in the password change blitz. Unsubscribed from more emails.

Have temporarily cut out wheat from my diet in the hope it is the culprit that has been causing dodgy stomach problems. This means I have been eating healthier rather than lazier and have batch cooked lots of variety for the freezer. Made a weekly meal plan last week for this and it was really useful so have started one for next week too.

Watched slow tv 'handmade in hull' on iplayer and am looking forward to the 'handmade in mexico' series. Felt huge gratitude at the amazing things human hands can achieve to such an extent that I was fascinated watching my hands whilst doing the washing up afterwards!

GQ - B&H butterfly boxes - small craft stash, stationary, notebook holder, something in kitchen cupboard? Are there any small things that go with your long bow hobby that can be stored in them? Speaking of which on the handmade in hull programme the wood crafter was making an archer (he was working on one of the hands at the time) and he was an archer himself, it showed a small clip of him using a bow. Looked like a long bow to me, well it was pretty long so I think that's what it was. :-)
    • kittie
    • By kittie 3rd Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    • 11,372 Posts
    • 64,819 Thanks
    kittie
    if I have a loft in my next house then nothing will go into it, better still though would be a loft room on top of a bungalow, not a sloping ceiling room, a proper room

So I got inspired too and then I thought about the crafting angle and have, at last applied that to some very bulky hand spun, hand knitted knits. Far too warm to wear and just clogging up space. The making was very therapeutic, the spinning and then the knitting, not time wasted as it was very calming, when I needed calm. One large costco black bag is out to the clothes recycling bin, very full and containing 14 garments of several types. Yay, another hurdle jumped over and I actually get to wear clothes I like

Maybe in future I will get to do another pass over all those clothes I bought in a panic, for my one and only cruise. The first pass was very productive and maybe I will be able to extract good summer clothing from that lot. It all fills far too much wardrobe space. Could possibly be a job for tomorrow

bumblebeany, I am also having dodgy stomach/gut problems lately. I am trialling A2 milk for a few weeks, started yesterday
    • bumblebeany
    • By bumblebeany 3rd Dec 17, 4:21 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    bumblebeany
    Lofts, cupboards, boxes they seem to have this magical ability to suck stuff into them. Loft ladders give me the willies so if I ever own a home with a loft nothing is going in there.

Kittie I agree on the pleasure gained from the planning and making of an item. Releasing the item/s that have already fulfilled their purpose ready for their next adventure is lovely. I released some handsewn brooches which I had been holding onto as I liked to keep one of everything I have made. I have the equivalent of 2 left hands so am super proud when I make anything. I never wore my collection though so it was time for them to go, I loved making them and am happy other people will be able to use them.

Mum is lactose intolerant and for years before she was diagnosed I kept saying to her it was milk causing her problems as she drank gallons of milky tea every day. I don't drink milk yuk never liked it. So I had a hard look at what I had been eating for the most commonly occuring ingredient and there was wheat smirking at me. I hadn't realised how much it had snuck into my diet as I rarely eat bread. Gillian mckeith (?) would have had a field day, there was lots of beige food! Here's hoping our innards start behaving soon.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 3rd Dec 17, 4:31 PM
    • 10,012 Posts
    • 36,002 Thanks
    luxor4t
    ..... I also have a small admission which I have been toying with since the whole B & H saga started; I have two of their giftboxes. Square carboard white ones with butterflies printed on them and purple lids which are plain but for their logo around the rim. They nest. I wombled them empty from someone else's household thinking I'd use them for something but I haven't yet. They're taking up space but are sturdy and useful...... what should I do with them, lovely peeps?
    Originally posted by GreyQueen

They nest, and you can fill the space inside them with something you need to keep....and, they are purple with butterflies
    - I think there is a law stating that they need to be kept, so
    keep them. As soon as you get rid of them a use will appear
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 11,430 Posts
    • 219,630 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Thanks guys, I just had a LBM, they would be perfect inside the larger box which holds the Xmas decs over at the parental home and which is always in a muddle and tangle. I get to put the decs up on Xmas Eve but am never there on Twelth Night when they're taken down again, so the box they live in never gets the GQ treatment.

I've kept them for gift-wrapping/ storage, but they've been in the cupboard for a whole twelve months now and not been needed, so I reckon they can go parentalwards.

Thanks for all your good suggestions, though.

I've wrapped up some presents this afternoon and used up some giftwrap. One of the presents is for a birthday very early in the New Year, but the recipient will be seen at Xmas, so they can have it then with strict instructions for No Peeking! until then. Since they're middle-aged, I think I can trust them.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 3rd Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    • 4,759 Posts
    • 20,768 Thanks
    Slinky
    I have just been into said loft. Rucksack returned and two small cases brought down ready for next weekend's trip away. Whilst up there I found a wicker basket with tissue paper that we received as a small Christmas hamper 3 years ago. We're going to refill it with other bits and gift it to our niece. There's also a large round 'hat box' style box which I think I received from OH with flowers in at Valentine's (the only time I'm ever bought flowers'. Will have to try and identify a recipient for that in the future. The final box is a beautiful one with dried flowers and little bells on it, contained some fabulous chocolates originally. OH won them in a work's raffle. Really is too beautiful to throw away but is a bit on the shallow side - another one to think about.

There's a heck of a lot of stuff up there and it's not an easy loft to move round - lots of cross trusses. Good job we've got a couple of years.
    • greent
    • By greent 3rd Dec 17, 6:16 PM
    • 6,507 Posts
    • 65,678 Thanks
    greent
    The final box is a beautiful one with dried flowers and little bells on it, contained some fabulous chocolates originally. OH won them in a work's raffle. Really is too beautiful to throw away but is a bit on the shallow side - another one to think about.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Fill it with HM biscuits/ choc truffles for a present?
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 3rd Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 4,759 Posts
    • 20,768 Thanks
    Slinky
    Hmm, now there's a thought.....
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 3rd Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Lofts! Mine only houses suitcases and Christmas decks but OH is elderly and despite a ladder has problems removing stuff when wanted. So I have had a rethink and all the cases that only have 2 wheels can go as I can only manage mine and OH’s if they have 4 wheels each. That will reduce them to 2 plus a little one which I reckon I can house all 3 in the shed (no garage). DS will do the job for me when he gets the decks down. The decs will have to go back up after Christmas but at least I will only have to ask for help at Christmas time and not every time we go on holiday or away for the weekend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,147Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter