Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,757Posts
    • 20,756Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 92
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 30th Nov 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 7,386 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I got rid of a few pens without ink from the pen box. All the rubbish and recycling have gone out today. I have a bag of stuff to take to the charity shop next week.

I have put my books in two seagrass boxes on a shelf in the living room as I wanted to make room for winter supplies like blankets, hot water bottles etc... in the cupboard so they are all in one place. I'm only keeping some of the books and the fiction can go to the charity shop later.

My husband cleared out some stuff from his storage boxes yesterday. I can't think what it all was, but at least it's gone!
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 30th Nov 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 7,386 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Oh yes, husband got an old £1 coin so we have sent it in the post along with some new £1 coins to a charity. They said they would accept it.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 30th Nov 17, 2:30 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 28,188 Thanks
    maddiemay
    A jumper's worth of pink mohair yarn gone to the hospice shop, my skin is too sensitive these days to wear itchy yarns, baby steps, but all progress. Some time ago I bought some really pretty "thick and thin" yarn and a pattern, but when knitted it gave a very uneven edge and I knew it would be a nightmare to sew together so I gave up on it. Yesterday I shopped my stash for toning/complementary yarns and am knitting a snood on huge needles, hopefully the stocks will be reduced nicely, and my money not wasted.
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 30th Nov 17, 3:28 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 6,602 Thanks
    catshark88
    I'm trying to find a way to find a good home for the kitchen in the new place as we will be replacing it.

It's good quality and good condition. I don't really want strangers from a selling page turning up for hours and seeing the place is empty etc., but I don't want it to go to waste. Does anyone know of any charities or groups that take kitchens? I'll ask at the local church, but not sure what else to try.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 1st Dec 17, 10:13 AM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    Slinky
    I'm trying to find a way to find a good home for the kitchen in the new place as we will be replacing it.

It's good quality and good condition. I don't really want strangers from a selling page turning up for hours and seeing the place is empty etc., but I don't want it to go to waste. Does anyone know of any charities or groups that take kitchens? I'll ask at the local church, but not sure what else to try.
    Originally posted by catshark88
    Can you take it out and put it in a garage or shed until such time as you're there and able to offer it out? Take photos and measurements whilst it's still in place.

Another thought, are you able to upcycle what you've already got replacing doors, drawer fronts and worktops rather than a complete refurb?
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 1st Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    Slinky
    Have heard today that the tenant for our new house has paid his deposit and first month's rent and is going in tomorrow. Fingers crossed this isn't followed by a load of 'this isn't working, that isn't working'. We lived in it for about 3 weeks whilst doing it up and found and repaired a lot of problems, so hopefully now it'll all be OK.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 1st Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    • 10,012 Posts
    • 36,002 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Creating space by passing on and delivering items so that they can spark joy for others:
    - Two parcels posted, meaning 8 items and some cards have now left the Xmas present pile.
    - Delivered Mummy Dearest's birthday gifts.
    - A box of assorted items to the Brownies for their fair - I used fabric stash items to make decorations, sorted through my toiletries and packed up surplus Xmas cards into packs.
    - Craft items to the CS for their craft area

We were surprised when we realised that the giant wooden laundry hamper didn't spark joy anymore, but I was flabbergasted to find that my grandparents' coffee table was also joyless. We moved it to get the carpet shampooed and it sat in another room for over a week. DH pointed out that it just stood in front of a cabinet and was used as a dumping ground....both items will leave the house this weekend.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 1st Dec 17, 5:40 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 8,069 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Back from hols where we had a good clear out of photos and holiday leaflets from previous years etc. Strange thing to do on hols I know but it worked for us!

Made a plan for the continuing office clearance and more paper has already left. Made a delivery to rellie of things they said they wanted which has made space for storing Christmas presents until they can be given.

Progress is good but needs to be stepped up as big desk move is due to happen next Thursday so need to be ready for it.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 1st Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 219,610 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Finished a book this morning when eating breakfast and immediately put it in the chazzer bag. I'd had it about two weeks, read it over three days and thoroughly enjoyed it and now it's going to spread joy elsewhere. Happy feelings.

As well as the donation bag, there was a ragbag of old wornout clothes and the pillowcase and a few other clean textiles which were no use to man nor beast.

I have started on the first of two books I borrowed from my kid brother in November, I have promised to have them back with him by Christmas, which will be when we're next together.

I also stuck my nose into the juntique shop where my pal was having a bit of a declutter, too; £15's worth of pennies to his bank and seventy million old business cards from other people. Some of whom are no longer in business or even actually alive.......... Baby steps at the juntique shop, baby steps.

Oh, and also used up a toiletry item and put the container into the recycling. Everything which leaves is joyous, don't you find?

Hope everyone is having a good evening. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 1st Dec 17, 10:36 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 16,697 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I tend to buy the overly large bottles of showergel, and then decant them into a smaller bottle for use in the shower (the large bottles are to heavy to lift, and usually have a large hole that lets out way too much gel); I'm always happy when I reach the second decantation, after which I can throw the large bottle in the plastic recycling and the lid in the charity bucket . If that made sense, you may be Belgian
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7101,62= £ 6309.50 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 2nd Dec 17, 6:53 AM
    • 11,427 Posts
    • 219,610 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    My office's kitchen has a bucket for lids, Siebrie, someone does something charitable with them, I believe. Although lids are welcome on bottles in most UK domestic recycling collections. They help preserve the shape of the bottle as it goes thru the sorting process where plastic bottles are usually moved around by air jets.

I have my 300 ml shampoo bottles (only one bottle on the go at any one time) upside down in a mug in the bathroom, to support it so the dwindling supply remains at the accessible bit of the bottle. Be glad when that's gone.

I have been guilty of hoarding various supplies in the past and presently have enough shampoo to see me through to the end of 2018, so will aim to be on the last dregs of the last bottle before I re-stock again. I am also disciplining myself to only have one spare of things I use daily, like olive oil and jars of olives.

I agreed with my pal that I will spend a couple of hours at the juntique shop today, to help with some sorting out (tells you a lot about my warped personality that I perceive this as a big treat rather than a chore, lol). If the shop's relatively quiet, I may venture into the cellar! If it's busy, I might even end up selling some antiquish item to a customer, I'm quite gregarious and like to help people.

I also went looking for something of the paperish nature in a half-hearted way yestereve and found some gift bags (just at the right time, forgot I'd even stashed those) and some no longer relevent paperwork for shredding.

It never ceases to amaze me how things keep coming up to the surface when you think you've been really thorough about decluttering.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• greent
    • By greent 2nd Dec 17, 7:30 AM
    • 6,506 Posts
    • 65,664 Thanks
    greent
    2 pairs of outgrown trousers (DS3, 8yo) donated to school yesterday - that boy is growing like a weed at the mo (2 whole clothes sizes in 6 months) A pair of too-small and very faded (worn by all 3 DS) swimshorts to fabric recycling. Also 'up-cycled' 6 bars of freebie soap into laundry gloop

We are having a new kitchen in January, so my kitchen needs to be fully packed up straight after Christmas - I am expecting lots of little bits to go on first pass (packing) and then more to go on second pass (unpacking and sorting into new homes) Due to the design, I'm actually losing 1.5 cupboards and declined any new cupboards in areas where there currently aren't any. We have a good sized kitchen and I really don't see the need to fill it with storage space to then fill with stuff... (Don't get me wrong - I have a lot of kitchen stuff - there are six of us and I have a 10 place dinner service - allows for all of us, the teenagers to have their bf/ gf here and also my mum to be here - and 1 spare in case of breakages - I bake a lot (all of our bread, cakes, biscuits etc), I make jams etc but I still don't want to expand the volume of stuff - quite the opposite.

I'd like - but I'm not sure I'll be able to persuade them - the small 2 to sort through their things before Xmas - esp DS2, as he also has an early Jan birthday.....
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 2nd Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 41,742 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Bras, bras, bras.

I have just counted 30 of the blighters. I tend to buy 2 when I see them in store in case they don't have my size again (not likely but I don't go into town very often) so seem to have too many, most only worn once or twice.
    Anyway, they are on the bedroom floor and after wearing are either going in the bin or in the wash where they will have the pleasure of being in a drawer. I have to say I am guilty of having 'favourites' but some of those have seen better days!

I can imagine you are a great sales assistant in the Juntique shop GQ, bet they all leave with something!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 2nd Dec 17, 9:06 AM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 52,432 Thanks
    silvasava
    Greent - I am planning a new kitchen next year and am seriously thinking of not replacing my top cupboards as the new layout ( wall being knocked down) means I will have some extra bottom cupboards (and much needed workspace) There's just the two of us and I have culled lots of old bakeware and replaced with better quality where it's been needed. Just realised I have a dinner service in one cupboard that's rarely used - need to have a serious think about that as my mum bought me it over the years. It's difficult to release things that have a sentimental attachment it makes me feel as if I'm rejecting her somehow even if I do thank it for past service.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Floss
    • By Floss 2nd Dec 17, 9:07 AM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 33,715 Thanks
    Floss
    Camelot i daren't count my bras...they do live in a drawer, divided into three columns for lacy, t-shirt & balcony There are favourites but when washed they go to the back of the drawer and get worn in rotation, unless under a particular outfit.

I will be home alone from Monday lunch until Wednesday evening, so am planning an attack on my clothes. Having landed a new permanent job, I can clear out some of my old corporate clothing, not worn for 2 years.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 2nd Dec 17, 9:10 AM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 33,715 Thanks
    Floss
    Silvasava could you upgrade that dinner service to daily use & pass on the current one? We are about to do that - the 11 year old cheap unbreakable ikea daily stuff is to be moved out and DH's 17 year old "best" white porcelain will become the daily stuff, mainly because it's nicer to eat off!
    • greent
    • By greent 2nd Dec 17, 9:25 AM
    • 6,506 Posts
    • 65,664 Thanks
    greent
    Bras, bras, bras.

I have just counted 30 of the blighters. I tend to buy 2 when I see them in store in case they don't have my size again (not likely but I don't go into town very often) so seem to have too many, most only worn once or twice.
    Anyway, they are on the bedroom floor and after wearing are either going in the bin or in the wash where they will have the pleasure of being in a drawer. I have to say I am guilty of having 'favourites' but some of those have seen better days!

I can imagine you are a great sales assistant in the Juntique shop GQ, bet they all leave with something!
    Originally posted by camelot1001
    If they are still serviceable but not liked/ don't fit there are several charities which take them for Africa - wearing a bra in some areas means a female is less likely to be seen as 'available' and become the victim of a sexual assault/ rape. From memory, M&S and Tesco have collection bins and probably other places. Think 'smalls for all' charity take good condition second hand bras too, for a similar project
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 2nd Dec 17, 9:25 AM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 52,432 Thanks
    silvasava
    Good idea Floss - only trouble is my everyday is a Denby set - made a huge haul in a CS a couple of years ago to supplement what I already had. The other set ( includes a coffee set too) is a willow style blue and white and not as robust. TBH my tastes have changed and seriously thinking about it it's time to let it go and let someone else appreciate it instead of spending it's days sitting in a cupboard.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • greent
    • By greent 2nd Dec 17, 9:29 AM
    • 6,506 Posts
    • 65,664 Thanks
    greent
    Greent - I am planning a new kitchen next year and am seriously thinking of not replacing my top cupboards as the new layout ( wall being knocked down) means I will have some extra bottom cupboards (and much needed workspace) There's just the two of us and I have culled lots of old bakeware and replaced with better quality where it's been needed. Just realised I have a dinner service in one cupboard that's rarely used - need to have a serious think about that as my mum bought me it over the years. It's difficult to release things that have a sentimental attachment it makes me feel as if I'm rejecting her somehow even if I do thank it for past service.
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Kitchens without top cupboards look fab - very clean lines

Another vote for using the dinner service if you like it - we used to have a cheap daily dinner service and only use our wedding present one for 'special' dinners. We now use it for everything - when the children were small they had 1KEA plates/ bowls for a short while and then graduated to our 'best' (only) crockery. And over the 20+ years we've had it, we've broken only half a dozen items at most - worth it for the 'joy' of using something nice all the time and the space saved in only having one set
    x
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 2nd Dec 17, 9:47 AM
    • 6,734 Posts
    • 41,646 Thanks
    Pooky
    I don’t have Top cupboards in my kitchen, I hate the things, just make a room look like a storage box (IMO).

We got rid of our mismatched everyday China a few years back and I now use our best stuff on a daily basis. It was an engagement gift (from first time around) so it’s 24 years old and still going strong.

I only seem to be kondoing the medicine cabinet at the moment as a nasty dose of sinusitis has knocked me for six. We did have some pretty naff news yesterday following a Drs appointment for DH so our quest to kondo ourselves into a bungalow is even more necessary. Once I’m feeling a bit more with it I shall ramp up the house selling prep.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,922Users online

Martin's Twitter