Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,593Posts
    • 19,800Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 61
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 12th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 8,151 Thanks
    minnie2
    An electric heater is the only thing to leave the house to go to someone elses home today.we havent really been here 3 appointments.but got a busy weekend so planning on doing lots in the morning.sister doesnt want mirror so need to find a new home for that too.

Have managed again to just sit here for a bit and do some word puzzles.happy days!! May write a list before bed so when we get up we have a plan.i love my lists and plans.do have paperwork that need attention tomorrow.going to write a list of important issues that need dealing with and order of priority.we need the house valued as our mortgage is up for renewal and we want to take some money out from it. So the kondoing needs to go up a notch so it can look as good as it can :-)
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 31,753 Thanks
    Floss
    GQ maybe you could put a small cloth over each to tuck them up, and so they are secure like a budgie with a cloth over its cage!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th Oct 17, 9:28 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 21,626 Thanks
    MMF007
    GQ maybe you could put a small cloth over each to tuck them up, and so they are secure like a budgie with a cloth over its cage!
    Originally posted by Floss
    At least that would stop them talking to themselves
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 12th Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    MMF your bags sound fabulous.

If I listed all my bags (and rem they have already been thinned out) I'd b here all night and you'd all nod off long before the end lol. None of mine are 'names' although my absolute fav is tiny and black and came from Claires. Even though I don't wear black it's been so useful over the years so can never be thrown out. It has three pockets, outside zip one takes credit/bank card (literally just enough size for that), middle pocket has a clasp and takes money for taxi, other outside pocket, also zipped, took phone (in the days when I had a lovely wee phone that was like a star trek communicator, wouldn't fit today's size of phones) and a lippy. Perfect for a day/night out. Tiny cute shaped handles you could just get your fingers through.

Another fav is a wee bit bigger, deep blue leather, in the softest loveliest kind that you want to stroke.

In fact I should stop now, otherwise id have to list all my bags. And then start on my boots and shoes.
    Last edited by daisy 1571; 12-10-2017 at 9:50 PM.
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 12th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    I've got three pale turquoise pumpkins, each on its own towel, sitting in a row on my table facing me. I feel that I should read them a bedtime story, or something.

All pumpkins and PNS have had a soapy bath and then a wipe-down with bleachy water, been carefully dried, and are hanging out expectantly. It is tempting to draw googly eyes and put hats on them, but I will restrain myself for abject lunacy.

S'like, I wouldn't want youse lot to think I was weird or anything!
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Its prob just me but...... turquoise ???

Anyway, whatever colour they are, they deserve eyes. And hats. And budgie covers as suggested. And ears otherwise, quite frankly, you are wasting your time reading to them.

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 13th Oct 17, 6:21 AM
    • 788 Posts
    • 20,277 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I think hats are mandatory. Got any spare yarn?

The problem is that I have handbags, I just don't use them. I can't be bothered to swap all the contents over any more so I use one small black bag which is, of course, starting to wear out. Experience tells me that bag contents expand to fill the available space so I keep 'em small.

I still have my mum's handbag upstairs *sigh*. I couldn't bear to part with it, but I don't use it. And it's getting older every year!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Oct 17, 7:01 AM
    • 11,282 Posts
    • 217,238 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Its prob just me but...... turquoise ???

Anyway, whatever colour they are, they deserve eyes. And hats. And budgie covers as suggested. And ears otherwise, quite frankly, you are wasting your time reading to them.

Daisy xx
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    Pale turquoise rind, orange on the inside. A variety called 'Invincible', formerly known as 'Crown Prince'. Reckoned to be the tastiest ones of all pumpkins;

ETA; Spare yarn?! Dowerlink, I have more yarn than some yarn shops........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• kittie
    • By kittie 13th Oct 17, 7:35 AM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 62,180 Thanks
    kittie
    KM on hold today, got lots of lashing to do, see my last 2 posts on prepping thread. Serious
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 13th Oct 17, 8:12 AM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 9,284 Thanks
    tibawo
    Enjoying reading abut the pumpkins as I am still clearing my allotment. Slower than I thought but I really want to get the layout right/plan right. I do have a section growing things to spur me on and take inspiration from the long standing allotmenteers. My plans did change about a month ago as originally I could not justify a huge financial layout on raised beds but the guy got a load of squares that do the same thing from free cycle and gave me some so am busy putting creosote on them. I have budgeted a £5 a week to get it sorted and debating about dwarf apple tree as my friend says if i mulch round the bottom then it is one less area to weed!

I find the allotment a great place to KD the daily stress of life as it is nearby so I don't take a phone and enjoy the peace and tranquillity with the added bonus of fresh air in my lungs.

I do have a vibro plate. I don't use it as often as I should but need to! I do sometimes sit on it and while it is vibrating away I pair the socks and fold the clothes!!!
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    My ten pound weekly challenge - weeks completed 3/52 missed target 1
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 13th Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 8,151 Thanks
    minnie2
    Speaking of pumpkins I just went to go in my wardrobe and one of the pumpkins we pick has decomposed all over my bedroom floor.huge puddle of sticky ooze!!! Urghhhh

A baby walker has just left the house :-)

We are now off out for the day no idea where.......
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 27,868 Posts
    • 152,772 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Pale turquoise rind, orange on the inside. A variety called 'Invincible', formerly known as 'Crown Prince'. Reckoned to be the tastiest ones of all pumpkins;

Originally posted by GreyQueen
    GQ, I saw some of those yesterday at an NT property that grows its own food for its cafe

Speaking of pumpkins I just went to go in my wardrobe and one of the pumpkins we pick has decomposed all over my bedroom floor.huge puddle of sticky ooze!!! Urghhhh
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Yikes Hope you've been able to clear it, minnie!

After an NT trip yesterday, I'm back again to the cleaning and clearing and scanning that is my version of KM - and I want to get my living room clear by tonight, so that its a pleasant place to be in over the weekend.

I'm going in ... smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 69,120 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Ooh sorry, I wasn't judging about the bags

I can't really cos my thing is coats and jackets - i have loads....

thin for summer
    slightly thicker for spring and autumn
    a thin raincoat for.. rain
    a long raincoat / mac
    a thicker raincoat / cagoule for lots of rain
    two outdoor fleeces / shell jackets
    a leather jacket (just bought and my pride and joy )
    a long quilted winter coat
    a hippy looking long coat with a huuuge furry collar
    a ski jacket - i have never been, nor intend to ever go, skiing but it's for when it's really baltic out.
    A posh red one for weddings..

I'm sure there;s more....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 13th Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 6,020 Thanks
    catshark88
    I have:
    2 Radley bags, one baby blue and one pale green.
    1 big, red, leather bag. Bought in a department store, but no memorable make. It's my "mummy bag", from the days I couldn't leave the house without a miscellany of baby stuff.
    1 purple Osprey bag. Absolutely gorgeous. Meant to be for days out without the kids, when I only needed keys and a purse. Think I've used it twice...
    My vaguely tapestry-like rucksack. Leaves hands free for wrangling kids, dogs and putting things in recycling boxes.

I love our discussions on here. I particularly like it when 2 conversations intertwine. BNS and handbags seem to go together v well. :-)
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • hebwood
    • By hebwood 13th Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 2,012 Thanks
    hebwood
    Hi everyone,
    Some brilliant progress/ideas going on.

Re handbags - got a brilliant small black Kipling cross body that is used most of time, 4 years old but no sign of wear, trouble is I need something slightly larger but cannot find anything. (What an excuse!). Agree with Polly - the contents fill the space available.

Larger turquoise/white patterned (not Kipling) handbag/cross body for days out/holidays
    Likewise another teal coloured one for same.
    Small cream 'crochet' cross body for evenings (just about holds small coin purse/phone/keys/tissue).

Various other bags for different occasions - eg. smart black bag/multi shoulder bag/big (textile) show bag/bum bag - been through them several times but cannot KM them any more at present.

Coats/jackets - much the same - 1 main coat, various other 'occasion' jackets.

No much KM going on - but am finding re-arrangement is happening a lot lately - eg. - cupboard - swopped it round for much better usage; or the container that holds various folded plastic bags. Small bits but brings much Joy.

The 'material' stash is having to wait though - too much RL to cope with.

Thank you for all your tips and suggestions.
    Take care.
    H.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 3,123 Posts
    • 27,451 Thanks
    maddiemay
    OH dropped a bag of books and clothes to the cs this morning, but not much to replace it as I am slowly recovering from a bad fall from my bicycle, nothing being achieved by me at all unless it can be managed using one arm.

I kondoed the last of my shirts a while ago in favour of tops and jumpers, now having to borrow from OH as I cannot yet climb in and out of anything that is not zipped or buttoned and quite roomy lol. Hopefully will be able to leave the house next week and reverse kondo a couple of shirts
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 11,144 Posts
    • 62,180 Thanks
    kittie
    me, flipping whirlwind in action again. I feel so strong when I do jobs but don`t half suffer afterwards. Loads of heavy lifting and shifting these two days, hacksawed wide metal tubes so I could get the cantilever thing in the car tomorrow. Granite slabs at the front of the house for today, in case anyone needs weights. Hips, sciatica, knee twinges, thumb joints

Wooden filing cabinet pulled and heavy wooden desk pushed but woo hoo, my last terribly hard room is done. The vibrating plate is flat and accessible, the multi coloured rug, put in many months ago, is all exposed and the room looks lovely calm, fresh and purposeful crafty and I still have some empty spaces

But, I need to spend the afternoon straightening my limbs and joints, otherwise it will be another painful sleepless night. Chair massage first ( I have all the equipment, could not live without it) then the inverter, back 60degrees and up a few times, that will make me longer. Then into a zero gravity chair for some much needed RnR while listening to middlemarch on audible. Just got to tidy up after cooked lunch first
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 51,031 Thanks
    silvasava
    Well all I seem to have kondoed this week is money! Garage bill, dental bills for me and DH (mine a one off but DH needs more treatment so expecting a big bill) I did manage to drop off 2 bags to the CS on my way back from the dentist. Clothes, books, ornaments etc to Sally Army and some small electrical kitchen appliances that I never use to Baranrdo's. Need to clear the RoD ready to store the boat cushions over the winter so will tackle that during next week - a teaspoonful at a time lol!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 13th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Today I decided to tackle the wardrobe - I got half way through and then just started shoving stuff in where there was a space.

On the plus side though:

I have identified I need some storage and sourced and bought off Ebay some drawers to go into one part of the wardrobe and some canvas organisers to go into my bedside cabinet drawer to organised my undies.

I have also got 4 bags for the CS.

Whilst my clothes storage isn't completed and there is stuff shoved in - there is a bit more of a method there and once I get the storage bits I should be able to complete.
    Getting back on Track
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 13th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    me, flipping whirlwind in action again. I feel so strong when I do jobs but don`t half suffer afterwards. Loads of heavy lifting and shifting these two days, hacksawed wide metal tubes so I could get the cantilever thing in the car tomorrow. Granite slabs at the front of the house for today, in case anyone needs weights. Hips, sciatica, knee twinges, thumb joints

Wooden filing cabinet pulled and heavy wooden desk pushed but woo hoo, my last terribly hard room is done. The vibrating plate is flat and accessible, the multi coloured rug, put in many months ago, is all exposed and the room looks lovely calm, fresh and purposeful crafty and I still have some empty spaces

But, I need to spend the afternoon straightening my limbs and joints, otherwise it will be another painful sleepless night. Chair massage first ( I have all the equipment, could not live without it) then the inverter, back 60degrees and up a few times, that will make me longer. Then into a zero gravity chair for some much needed RnR while listening to middlemarch on audible. Just got to tidy up after cooked lunch first
    Originally posted by kittie
    Well done getting hour space lovely. Sounds like you are able to easily access all your crafty stuff really easily. I'd love to be in that position one day.

Well done again and have a great rest

Daisy xx

• Upsy Staffordshire
    • By Upsy Staffordshire 13th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 3,747 Thanks
    Upsy Staffordshire
    I hope everyone has had a wonderful week.

I seem to end up with stashes of coins, so managed to kondo some when paying for a small top-up shop the other day, instead of paying by card. Still got plenty of pennies to get rid of. They just seem to accumulate.

We will be carrying on with clearing out the garage this weekend in preparation for our house move. I'm hoping we can get it completed on Sunday, but we will see, as we need to get in the garden too. It's forecast to be nice weather here all weekend, which would make clearing out the garage and doing the gardening much more joyful!
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,544Posts Today

9,339Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin