Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,763Posts
    • 20,778Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 60
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 11th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Forgot to say last night while dinner was cooking i managed to sit down and actually relax first time ive been able to do that in month!! I was happy at the level of organisation etc.still lots to do but i wasnt stressing about it or burning myself out by doing it.i find it very hard to just sit and relax so it was a welcome change.

Pair of headphones going in the morning.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Oct 17, 6:24 AM
    • 11,438 Posts
    • 219,770 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    We managed to reduce our rag collection with some work at the new house. A couple of old flannels came in handy as makeshift oven gloves as I forgot to take anything with us. Second visit I've taken an old OG so the flannels can return to the rag bag.

I'm envious of your BNS GQ.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    First time I've ever grown any BNS bigger than a pear, believe me! They're so big they're positively scary...........

I've taken mental note of old flannel/ emergency oven glove substitute, that might come in handy one day.

The rag-neediness dates back to when I moved into this flat and the flat before this one; both were very very dirty. I mean, as in requiring a lot of cleaning to bring them up to an acceptable standard. I went through a lot of rags and several pairs of marigolds on both occasions and truly understood the meaning of the phrase 'working one's fingers to the bone'. Getting the previous flat de-grotted took 3 weeks (between going to work) and several bags of rags.

Day-to-day, I don't have that level of filth and, although there are a few rare chores which require use-and-throw rags (metal polishing, using white spirit etc) mostly I use washable cloths. My ragbag was like a comfort blanket but I really do need to use the space they're taking up and get to grips with some habits which aren't terribly helpful in terms of living an uncluttered life; i.e. not saving everything for every possible eventuality which might occur in the next few decades.

I have to wait in for a tradesman after w*rk today but, if he's been and gone before the end of shop hours, I'll pop them up to the chazzer with a couple of other pieces - if I swither and dither, I may fail.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• kittie
    • By kittie 12th Oct 17, 7:23 AM
    • 11,383 Posts
    • 64,944 Thanks
    kittie
    GQ, hooks on ceiling and old fashioned string bags for the bns
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 11,438 Posts
    • 219,770 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GQ, hooks on ceiling and old fashioned string bags for the bns
    Originally posted by kittie
    I'm a tenant, kittie. I can't drill lots of holes in the concrete slab ceiling of my bike shed and the shed walls (like the inner walls of the flats) are rather feeble greyish cinder blocks which are beggars to hold anything as heavy as a modest picture, never mind monster squash. I did know about hanging them, and have thought it through, but it's not possible in my circs, but thank you for the reminder.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Oct 17, 8:17 AM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 70,681 Thanks
    VJsmum
    To be fair, GQ, your 'everything for 50p' chazzer could supply a few rags, I don't doubt.

Thank the rags for being of comfort and let them go.

I am in danger of being over ragged also. I am going to send a load to the heritage railway that we are involved with. They use them for engine cleaning..
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 52,489 Thanks
    silvasava
    My rags hang in a string bag in the garage used mostly by DH. TBH I've no idea how many he's got now! I chop old t-shirts up into useable rag size otherwise he'd use a whole t-shirt for a small job and stuff them in the bag

Just thought - hav'n't seen string bags for about the last 30 odd years so mine must be at least that old!
    Last edited by silvasava; 12-10-2017 at 8:47 AM.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 11,383 Posts
    • 64,944 Thanks
    kittie
    I'm a tenant, kittie. I can't drill lots of holes in the concrete slab ceiling of my bike shed and the shed walls (like the inner walls of the flats) are rather feeble greyish cinder blocks which are beggars to hold anything as heavy as a modest picture, never mind monster squash. I did know about hanging them, and have thought it through, but it's not possible in my circs, but thank you for the reminder.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    freestanding coat stand and some sort of cradles, like rag strips woven and ahhh light bulb moment for me, I never thought about doing that for me and I have a redundant coat rack, very suitable and string bags from when I bought lots from lakeland many many moons ago
    Last edited by kittie; 12-10-2017 at 9:12 AM.
    • wort
    • By wort 12th Oct 17, 9:57 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 7,194 Thanks
    wort
    Minnie2 ,have you thought of putting the Radley bags on Facebook (if you have an account) .that way it's just friends etc who would see if they want them, they would be gone quicker than e baying. And you could get a bit of money for them. I once bought 1 from e bay but I think it was a fake it wasn't very good , so I now just stroke the ones in Debenhams when I pass !
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 11,383 Posts
    • 64,944 Thanks
    kittie
    coffee break time, still on the nespresso capsules, when they are finished then the machine will go too. I bought myself a good coffee maker and a grinder after hubbie died, I was so determined to like coffee, which he loved. In the tizzy times, I forgot about the nespresso machine and all the `bargain` capsules but hey ho, a blank memory was part of the process. Obviously I will use up the capsules first, every last one and I am drinking doubles at the moment, just one a day and by 10am

I have an oak sideboard in my hall, it is nice, not light but nice and I have a cream tapestry on top which falls down the sides, so the dark is ok and anyway the unit is so useful. 3 base cupboard doors but one space behind and 2 drawers on top. That is my KM job today but it might well only be re-shuffling. All candles are out and now stored in a KM emptied dining room cupboard I did the candle count all stearin candles and I was offered bargain prices, I am sure you will understand but ok (hangs head and whispers) 86 table candles, 26 pillar candles, over 200 tealights and 3 unused non-stearin yankee candles in large jars. My winter is going to be spent via candle light. At least now, I know what I have and all my needle felting craft items are in labelled neat boxes in the sideboard

Only had 2 sips of coffee so far, glad I got that off my chest and I am sure that husband is having a giggle. Next job has to be those 2 drawers, not looking forward to that, won`t be easy as most bits are useful
    Last edited by kittie; 12-10-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    • elona
    • By elona 12th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 11,321 Posts
    • 60,687 Thanks
    elona
    I have just kondoed my super king duvet which was about seven years old, tea stained and felt very heavy and kept dragging itself off the bed.

The new duvet is now on my bed and feels just as warm but lighter and easier to manage. The cleaner comes round this afternoon and while she does upstairs I will unload and load dishwasher, tidy kitchen, sort clean laundry and generally tidy round.

Can't seem to get myself motivated but know that once the cleaner arrives I will be whizzing around clearing and sorting stuff. Finally got round to picking up prescriptions as I was down to the last week of one of them and I like to have a month's supply in hand.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 12th Oct 17, 3:10 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Minnie2 ,have you thought of putting the Radley bags on Facebook (if you have an account) .that way it's just friends etc who would see if they want them, they would be gone quicker than e baying. And you could get a bit of money for them. I once bought 1 from e bay but I think it was a fake it wasn't very good , so I now just stroke the ones in Debenhams when I pass !
    Originally posted by wort

I stroke so many in the shops too! !!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 12th Oct 17, 4:52 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    catshark88
    A bag of books finally made it to the book bin today.

I must admit that I've never kept rags. I only need them once in a blue moon and then I use an own brand j cloth and bin it. Not very eco, I know. Most of the time I use the microfibre ones and bung them in the wash after.

I have 2 Radley bags, which I never use, in my wardrobe. I'm keeping them because they are such a lovely colour. I'm in the rucksack years at the mo, but one day, when I'm more organised, I hope to use them again...
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 70,681 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I don't really 'do' posh handbags. I wouldn't treat them right and I always think about what else I can do with the money.

Every couple of years or so I buy a new bag from TK maxximus. Usually about £30, always leather. Mostly the old ones go to the chazzer, though I have kept the last (by now rather tatty looking) one as its bigger than my current one and there are times I need a slightly bigge bag (holidays for example).

I think I own four handbags, those two, a black evening type bag and a cloth type one. I say think, cos I am not sure if I still have the cloth one... If I have, it can go...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 12th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    I have never bought a radley bag.always been gifts from my loved ones.i never ask or want anything im not materialistic.people buy me coca cola instead of presents i dont drink and im anaphylactic to chocolate.so they got into buying me radleys
    Last edited by minnie2; 12-10-2017 at 7:33 PM.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 12th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 3,454 Posts
    • 41,123 Thanks
    maryb
    I have one bag that goes with everything that I use most days and a slightly smarter DKNY bag left over from my corporate days plus an evening bag. The everyday bag is a Longchamps which hold an incredible amount- and loses it too!! My life was transformed when I picked up a handbag organiser in Primark for £2.50. Now I can actually find my phone when it rings!!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 33,911 Thanks
    Floss
    I have a black leather DKNY bag, a violet Kate Spade , a brown patent Bessie of London everyday work bag and my mum's vintage c.1972 italian leather bag. I also have several cross-body bags in use most weekends & for casual and a couple of clutch bags bought to go with shoes & wedding outfits
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Oct 17, 6:56 PM
    • 11,438 Posts
    • 219,770 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Just retrieved the rag bag from the bike shed and went through it - good job I did as a lens polishing cloth for my glasses had ended up in there. I also removed some of the towelling rags (hemmed) which are very useful when cleaning and some of which I use up at the allotment. Have got them routed to their final destinations and 90 % of the rag bag leaves the premises tomorrow.

Friend and neighbour SuperGran popped in an hour ago, took one look around my sitting-room and asked; What is this, a harvest festival?! I really must start processing these squash and pumpkins down into the shed, it's getting rindinkulous.

Will have a tea-break then wash the two biggest pumpkins and get them ready to go down to the shed tomoz - I'm in my jammies now and am not going out again tonight, not even for YS bargains.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Floss
    • By Floss 12th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 33,911 Thanks
    Floss
    GQ do the pumpkins need dressing as well as bathing?!

I seem to have temporarily KM'd my husband to stay with his recently bereaved pal...he went on Sunday afternoon and has suggested he will leave on Saturday...cue several no-cook teas & my choice of catch-up tv!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 23,428 Thanks
    MMF007
    Handbags, hmm, got rid of a few when I first started KM.
    Inventory now is
    A fab Radley bag in a deep red colour that I had longed for but could not justify the expense, then found it in a sale at 40% off (when I got it home I realised it was very dusty so assume it was an end of range!). It is quite large and has carried my laptop and some papers along with essentials when I needed to look businesslike It is not used regularly but it brings much joy.
    A tan leather shoulder bag that is quite roomy and was used every day for work when I was officebound. Now not so used but still liked
    A dark blue small shoulder bag that is used fairly often, esp when lunching with friends, when one does not need tonnes of stuff
    A black tote bag that holds more than you'd think, iykwim. I nearly sent this to CS when I cleared the wardrobe a couple of weeks ago but actually, when I held it I realised it is a keeper.
    A toffee coloured bag that is a cross between a clutch and a purse, or as DH said, more like a large pencil case It has stud detailing and i love it. Another for leisurely lunches or evenings out. Holds essentials, inc reading glasses
    My most used bag is one from Debenhams sale last year, small fabric bag with an oriental design in muted but multi colourx. Everyone comments on it and i have not yet seen another. Prob why it was in the sale, cos no-one else wanted it! It is the right size and shape for my everyday needs, a couple of internal pockets and a zipped one on the outside for car keys.
    Finally, another cloth one, also bought last year, that in theory is great but in use is a bit annoying. It seems to need at least 2 hands to do the zip up and is too soft to stand on its own so it falls all over the place, producing a serious tripping hazard. I love the colour but need to decide whether it is staying. Perhaps I'll give it an outing this weekend as a final trial, pass or fail, in or out!
    Oh, there is one more!! A small straw bag that is very pale, almost white, in an oblong shape with a zipped top and a little bamboo handle. That one goes on holiday to sunny climes
    Last edited by MMF007; 12-10-2017 at 7:59 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Oct 17, 9:05 PM
    • 11,438 Posts
    • 219,770 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've got three pale turquoise pumpkins, each on its own towel, sitting in a row on my table facing me. I feel that I should read them a bedtime story, or something.

All pumpkins and PNS have had a soapy bath and then a wipe-down with bleachy water, been carefully dried, and are hanging out expectantly. It is tempting to draw googly eyes and put hats on them, but I will restrain myself for abject lunacy.

S'like, I wouldn't want youse lot to think I was weird or anything!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin