Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,759Posts
    • 20,769Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 58
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 33,788 Thanks
    Floss
    Copper nails could also be sold to a scrap dealer...and as a business he should have no problem setting up an account to recoup some £££s
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 11,430 Posts
    • 219,636 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    There's only half a nescaff jar of copper nails and they're to be kept 'because'. I know of nothing which particularly requires copper nailing but then, I'm not a veteran juntique dealer.

Tell ya, it's shame I have a day job, because there's a lot of fun to be had in the juntique shop. Apart from the cellar and the shop floor, there's the rest of the place with three rooms upstairs.

One of them has its ceiling falling in (polystrene tiles over lath-and-plaster) due to a slipped tile on the roof. It's clutter central, with an integral water feature. Stuff in there is falling all over the place. Beats turning out the junk drawer in the kitchen.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• kittie
    • By kittie 9th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 64,823 Thanks
    kittie
    ooooo that cellar sounds very spooky GQ. Bet you don`t go down there on your own in the dark

Somehow I have managed to start on my very difficult craft room, knitting, spinning, weaving, rope making, pin felting, spindle spinning, health study books, more books, carving gouges, printer, house file, maps, herbals. Arghh, must be the most difficult room in the house and everything is being compounded by the huge volume in empty `really useful` and other good boxes. Its a good way to see the volume of emptiness but the emptiness has structure ie each bit is enclosed in a box, which has volume.

edit: a brainwave, I can store RU boxes containing beautiful blended fibre under my bed
    Last edited by kittie; 09-10-2017 at 7:36 PM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 64,823 Thanks
    kittie
    I sometimes wish that I didn`t have the energy of a whirling dervish, actually I don`t rush around but so much gets done. I just sat down and have three stacks of empty 9litre `ru` boxes ready to store, 15, probably in the shed. They actually store so well on my tall bookcase shelves in my craft room, so I am keeping them, in the meantime under my bed is 2/3 full of all my fibre and the best spun wool, the initial learning spinnings are all in bin bags. I have 2 bags ready for out and the cs trolley is full, again

I am definitely making good progress, I knew that craft room would be a massive hurdle but at least now all the unit tops are empty and tomorrow I am going to be ruthless with books and medications because I need to see ahead, what I want to be doing with my life is crafting and not studying any more. That will release shelf space for my ru boxes. It feels like a rubics cube in action
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 9th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 23,283 Thanks
    MMF007
    Ooh, thanks for the tour GQ!!

Large, I mean LARGE, bag of cardboard to recylcing (DH bought loads of special bulbs, of the plant type, for next Spring which had been packed in boxes, and I had 2 empty boxes to get rid of, and there were the usual leaflets etc).

I may be kondo-ing some brand new knickers back to M&S. I bought a size smaller but on opening the pack they seem the same as my old, larger, size
    I really wish shops would use the British Standard measurements for clothing sizes so we could confidently select garments knowing they would be the stated size!

Hectic Monday went well but my arms are stiff now! Lots of cleaning, some shopping, and a bit of 'hand holding' for an anxious client who was worried about a simple letter and some simple instructions. I just read through the items, explained that the client was correct in her reading of them, and told her she would be fine dealing with the matter because she was already familiar with the procedure in question. I try to offer a calm outlook

Tomorrow I shall be visiting my friend for coffee in the morning then I have some tidying to do at home I hope there may be some Stuff that I can release
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 12,250 Posts
    • 216,226 Thanks
    greenbee
    GQ - I'd like to put in a bid for the greengrocer's scales and some picture frames please...

And I don't see why you can't sell the silver plate. Lots of places do...

Actually, I know a number of people who sell their excess stock at car boots (and I was at the decorative arts fair in Battersea at the weekend - apparently a lot of the very upmarket traders there also sell at the car boot in Chiswick...) so maybe you can set up a sideline for your friend...
    • Lottie loves
    • By Lottie loves 9th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Lottie loves
    Hi all. Busy weekend here so just finally managing to drop by and catch up with posts.
    GK that was a great visit to the cellar, really enjoyed the trip
    Not got a huge amount of MKing done the last few days but still managed a few niggly bits. An 'advent calendar ' of cosmetics that was a Xmas gift last year has finally been emptied (some of the creams/masks I'll never use went into the harvest collection at church for the women's refuge. Oh and some baby clothes that were worn by my youngest when he was seriously ill a few years ago have finally been kondoed. Even though I'm still hoping for another baby and have kept most things, these items held such bad memories for me (even tho they were in great condition) they had to go into the CS bag. Wasn't easy but feel better for it.
    Speaking of bags, does anyone else keep an 'ongoing' CS? Although I enjoy a big purge at times, I find it convenient to have a bag that I add things to regularly. I try to question things as I go really....
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 9th Oct 17, 11:34 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 21,004 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Oh yes, I have a big blue Ike* bag in the spare room, so I can pop things in as they arise, then I decant it into carrier bags when it's full. I am constantly finding items that I can release, it gets easier and easier.

Today I finally found the energy (I wish I knew how you do it, Kittie!) to repaint a wall which is stained after I had a blocked gutter. The decorating kit was MKd a couple of years ago but nonetheless when I opened the box I found a roller that's stiff with paint, no point keeping it; and why the heck I have three paint trays, goodness knows. It really is an ongoing process.

Thanks for the virtual tour, GQ! Trying to work out if £55kg at £2/kilo is more than the original face value of the thruppenies!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Oct 17, 7:23 AM
    • 11,430 Posts
    • 219,636 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'm not sure, I was alive before decimalisation but as a young child and not handling money, so have only vague memories of the old coins, although some of them were doing duty as notational 10p and 5p coins in the seventies, if memory serves?. Think there were 240 pennies to the pre-decimal pound, yes? So 3d was 3/ 240 not 3/100? Like millions of households in the UK, we had some of them rattling around in the corners at home, a small handful. I always rather liked those bronze ha'pennies with the sailing ship on them, and the farthings with the cute wren.

Anyway, they go as scrap metal and have done for a long time. Pal is too busy doing (mostly) things far more lucrative than dragging these to a scrappie across the region (the local one won't take them). Scrappies aren't really supposed to melt the coin on the realm and some apparently won't. Others will buy brass thruppenies and pre-decimal ha'pennies and pennies (which are bronze) and melt them down. Because these metals are relatively low value, you need to have them in quantity (and robust suspension on your wagon) to drive around with them. The person who bought them will double his money, minus fuel costs, time and aggravation. Both sides are happy.

Re plated stuff, pal doesn't like trying to sell it. He sells solid silver articles and has had several experiences when Joe Public buys plated articles, clearly labelled as plated (and priced accordingly) and then brings them back complaining they're not proper silver and wanting their money back. He doesn't like being messed around like this and finds it easier to just stick with the solid, hallmarked silver and give the plate to the charity shops.

Glad you enjoyed the virtual tour of The Cellar.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Oct 17, 7:26 AM
    • 12,250 Posts
    • 216,226 Thanks
    greenbee
    Sounds like you need to add the plated stuff to your next CS run then GQ! Although I'm a little worried about what he'll do with all this space once you've cleared it out for him...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Oct 17, 7:31 AM
    • 11,430 Posts
    • 219,636 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Sounds like you need to add the plated stuff to your next CS run then GQ! Although I'm a little worried about what he'll do with all this space once you've cleared it out for him...
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Junk dealers are a force of nature and nature abhors a vacuum. If there was a space down there, and other junk dealers knew about it, they'd be trying to sub-let it.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 4,759 Posts
    • 20,769 Thanks
    Slinky
    GQ your friend should instititute a receipt book for his silver plated items where he writes out that he's received £X for silver plated teapot and get the customer to sign to acknowledge that he knows it's silver plate. Those little carbon copy books shouldn't cost much.

My OH wears double cuffed shirts and uses cufflinks. There's a chap that makes up cufflinks out of old coins - some have the interesting bits cut out with a small saw, others are enamelled. He has some with wrens on, some sixpences, the oldest pair he has are groats (worth 4d)! They aren't a matching pair date wise as groats aren't easy to find these days. If you find any groats down there, don't sell them for scrap.
    Last edited by Slinky; 10-10-2017 at 7:52 AM.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    • 4,662 Posts
    • 35,820 Thanks
    DawnW

Re plated stuff, pal doesn't like trying to sell it. He sells solid silver articles and has had several experiences when Joe Public buys plated articles, clearly labelled as plated (and priced accordingly) and then brings them back complaining they're not proper silver and wanting their money back. He doesn't like being messed around like this and finds it easier to just stick with the solid, hallmarked silver and give the plate to the charity shops.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I'm *ahem* in the same line of business as your pal, and have never had any issues with selling plated items. Most items that find their way into the shop where I rent my unit get snapped up by a London dealer who comes down and buys it by the bucketload, getting it replated if necessary / worth it. (He is very reputable and certainly doesn't sell it as solid silver). Solid silver is so expensive now that plated items such as cutlery, teasets, trays, decorative items etc are popular with his customers who want 'the look' without the huge outlay. I have unproblematically sold plated items on ebay too, so was surprised to hear of the problems that your pal has had Might it just have been a single thick person / chancer who put him off? Or an item accidentally mislabelled?
    NSDs for December 5/15
    Decluttering 23/31

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 10th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 21,004 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Crikey - I don't know when groats went out of use but it's a long time ago!

I'm fascinated by the currency discussion, keep them coming, but I came across this on Facebook and it struck such a chord with me that I thought I'd put it on here, I know you're not all FB users. Swedish death cleaning

Yes, yes - this sums up exactly what I've been doing!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Oct 17, 8:49 AM
    • 11,430 Posts
    • 219,636 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Nope, it's just a different situation here.

Pal buys in silver at scrap price (currently buying 28p/ gramme, selling for melt and assay in London at 33p a gramme). Decent undamaged articles can be cleaned and sold but it's very hard to get as much as £1/ gramme. Even from the trade. Lots of people don't want to own silver as they don't want to clean it/ have never imagined owning a silver tea service, f'rinstance. It's not the fashion, not how modern people signify wealth and status. Things sit around the shop for years, in some cases. Pal hates sending lovely articles for m & a but sometimes there's no buyer. It's not just his shop, a top-notch jeweller/ antique dealer up in the 'carriage trade' part of town has thousands and thousands of silver articles, mainly cutlery. Can't sell it, feel it's too cheap to pass on...........

Essentially, because of the £1/ gramme (or less), sold hallmarked English silver, even stuff 100 + years old and of artistic merit, is being sold like potatoes. If you've a safe to store it in, it'll likely be a good investment for the children/ grandchildren.

Righty, off to w*rk. Have a good day. GQ x
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 4,759 Posts
    • 20,769 Thanks
    Slinky
    Here's the coin cufflinks/jewellery. Very talented man

https://www.coindesign.co.uk/
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    • 4,899 Posts
    • 70,582 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I have a bracelet of silver sixpences. It was my mum's and of no interest or desire for me. i have other stuff of mum's that I love and keep, but i don't recall her wearing this. I only found out she had it after she had died... I don't know what to do with it.

I also have some gold chains of mums, not really decorative (possibly not real gold, but we shall see). I have just made a decision that, if they are gold, I will have them melted down and made into something i will cherish and will remind me of her. I did similar with a bracelet my aunt left me - the sovereign in it was sold and we bought a painting with the proceeds, and the bracelet (which had broken) was melted down and is now a thumb ring that i wear all the time... the cost of the transformation was my christmas present from my husband...

KMing has stalled a little, but we are about to swap the "children's" (21 and 18) bedrooms back to how they used to be - DD (who now lives at home) is going back into the bigger room and DS (who has gone to uni) will go to the smaller one. As a result I am hopeful for stuff to leave the house.

When our drainage issues are resolved, our lounge and office are going to be decorated and I am hoping stuff from there will be leaving...
    Last edited by VJsmum; 10-10-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 10th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    So writing a list while waiting for my physio appointment .done the nursery run came home and scanned the house to find piles of junk sitting all over the place just because of the sorting that has been going on .so the list is how to manage and tackle whats hanging around.i need to clear a space inp conservatory for the stuff thats going but it means sorting conservatory stuff first now which i gave a good go to yesterday.last night sister has filled it with all her laundry where i had cleared so will have to sort that now before i am able to finish.sons puzzles need a bit more organising too!!

I did give away two pairs of arm bands this morning!!! :-) every little helps
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 28,180 Posts
    • 155,262 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Loving the cellar tour!

Also loving the discussion on silver... one of the things that my sister is now storing for the three of us is a whole load of African silver. I know its pure, because I watched similar stuff being smelted by family members... but there's no hallmarks, its all "private". I sold a bit a few years ago, to a street trader of all things (the south coast of England has that kind of trader around!) because I had some as well, and didn't want that any longer. All of us are happy with it all being sold - but its a fair quantity, so in London it needs to be Hatton Gardens (but they dont seem to take silver) or the London Goldsmiths Co, who don't have the info on their website, but do name a staff member to talk to. We're going to London next week, we *might* be able to fit a visit in then, we'll see. But I'd like to be able to get it smelted and sold in one trip ... Hmmm. It's a new area for me.

Speaking of KMing, my neighbour's KMing of his front garden has continued - 3 cars used to be plonked on top of a horrendous amount of waste, and they've been working at it now for 3 days in total. I'm very pleased! It's been like that for about 5 years, and I was seriously starting to worry about the impact on the price of my house if I wanted to sell.
    Retired August 2016
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 64,823 Thanks
    kittie
    karmacat, keep telling them how lovely it looks. Sounds as thgough they are getting ready to sell

I did some selling today, worst bit is the packing, fragile items but I have banked £150 for three items. I have more I can sell but not until I am ready ie can be a***d. Then a massively full large trolley to cs, I am looking forward to seeing my gift aid total this year, it makes it all worth while

Time spent ala babushka doll mode this morning ie boxes in boxes in boxes. Rows of these lightweight containers on shelving in shed. I`ll be moving those myself as they are easy. I was upstairs in my sewing room earlier and definitely decided to move my squishy padded dressform myself, padded to my figure, it would be like a voodoo doll, I would definitely feel hands where they should not be

I have a vibro plate machine, it is supposed to only take 3 minutes a day to achive fitness. I don`t believe that but I am in two minds about it. I was going to ask if they work but I found
    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/779442/exercise-machine-vibrating-plate-effective-wbv-whole-body-vibration

It means I can sit on it while lifting some small weights. Ok I have talked myself into keeping it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

6,823Users online

Martin's Twitter