Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,758Posts
    • 20,754Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 57
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 8th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Is there much more new content? Worth the buy?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 8th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Planning my attack tomorrow kids and.hubby will be here though so it does need planning.daughters toys need sorting and i think the conservatory aka dumping gorund and laundry room is next.i want to use it as somewhere to place all my boxed stuff that needs to leave the house.hopefully itll be easier to pick certian things out to put in my car to dispose of :-) i did do the kitchen but it is a bit of a mess again so think i may need to address that again too.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 8th Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    catshark88
    Is there much more new content? Worth the buy?
    Originally posted by minnie2
    I'm finding it so. Not a vast amount of new stuff, but more detail. It's very interesting to hear more about the storage side too.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 8th Oct 17, 9:50 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Will purchase tomorrow :-)
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 9th Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Just seen a good quote...... Autumn shows us how beautiful it is to let things go

Hopefully i will be letting lots of things go today
    • greent
    • By greent 9th Oct 17, 9:37 AM
    • 6,505 Posts
    • 65,648 Thanks
    greent
    Just seen a good quote...... Autumn shows us how beautiful it is to let things go

Hopefully i will be letting lots of things go today
    Originally posted by minnie2
    I put a picture up on the KM facebook group with that quote on of a beautiful tree with coloured leaves falling down - I love it

Just bits n pieces going here atm - lots of books as I read them, worn out clothes/ too small children's clothes etc. But less stuff is (generally) coming in, so the overall movement is down and out, which is good
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 11,369 Posts
    • 64,790 Thanks
    kittie
    Hall looks brilliant, light, bright and airy, it is always good to see results the morning after with new eyes. Last possible en suite tweak this morning and have decided to stick with soap for showering, much better and non-irritating results. I have rescued several nice soaps from the cs bag. All shower gels are gone, bar one, l`occitane almond, so I dismantled the shower caddy as I wanted to re-arrange the shelves. Base to ceiling, expanding simple human. I always gave it a wipe but decided it needed that deep down clean and blimey it has come up good, shiny and no rust marks at all. I thought it was expensive in 2006 but quality shows. Another item ready to move with me

I worked hard all day yesterday, didn`t nod off because I had victoria to look forward to and then slept well, apart from some turning due to hip aches. Did the en suite and now having a mug of tea, while pondering what to do next but really knowing that I should take it easy, don`t want to burn myself out, although I am enjoying the KM process
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 9th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 9,527 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Managed to get hubs to go through some bits last night. Lots binned and lots to the cs.
    • Lots of paperwork for the recycling bin, along with 2 box files
    • Bow tie, braces and cummerbund (OH doesn't own a dinner suit any more and is unlikely to require one)
    • 3 x board games
    • Several music text books from his degree
    • A couple of other unwanted music books
    • 1 set of shelves that lived in his wardrobe
    • Belt that had seen better days (and indeed OH had cut the end off with a knife!)
    • Several pieces of kipple, old guitar strings, unidentifiable pieces of plastic, odd screws etc (general man-toot)
    • Bar towel rehomed to the kitchen rag bag
    Not a bad hour's work while tea was cooking!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 9th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 16,696 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Our office cleaners have just asked if I can please find a different solution to the 'confidential papers' problem, because they do not want to deal with two full shredders everyday anymore
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7094,49= £ 6309.50 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 9th Oct 17, 12:17 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    If it needs shredding it needs shredding.is there that much mess? Do they not vacuum every day anyway? We pay someone to deal with all our shredding but im not sure how expensive it is.so we box it whole and they come and shred it and take it away.by we i mean my work company.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 9th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 16,696 Thanks
    Siebrie
    They don't vacuum everyday; they vacuum once a week (or once a month) and as-needed, so they won't have their vacuum with them during their rounds, and will have to collect it especially from the other side of the building. It's also a bit of a hassle to empty the shredder container into a special binliner, because it is a very tight fit.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7094,49= £ 6309.50 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Oct 17, 1:15 PM
    • 11,369 Posts
    • 64,790 Thanks
    kittie
    There is not enough going out of the freezer, I will have to try harder although I did use a lb of minced mutton to make the most wonderful real scotch broth, ate 2 portions so far and one frozen. Net KM on the freezer was zero

Me rest!! ha, I have been at it again. I ejected all my fibre dyeing equipment, not my scene, there now I admit to yet another set of purchases that were never used. I spotted a kilner jar and have dealt with 3 dozen 1 litre sizes but have kept all the 0.5 litre and have wrapped and packed in a large really useful box, ready to move. My ex-precious sauerkraut crock is standing in the tip re-use area and one very large ss pot has gone too

At last some real visible progress under the stairs, in my craft room and in my shed
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,593 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Dropped in on my pal's juntique shop and managed to bag and sell 55 kg of thruppenny bits (pre-decimal brass coin, for non-brits or young brits reading). The very last day these were spendable was 14.02.1971, fer cryin' out loud.

We've found somebody who'll pay money and take them away. Unbelievable. Half have already gone. They couldn't carry all of them at once, for some strange reason.

GQ to pal; Why were they down there (meaning in the cellar)?
    Pal (helpless shrug) I'd forgotten they were there.

Which was the answer but not an explanation. I expect something in C-space teleported them onto the premises when he wasn't looking. It's probably quantum, or summink.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    Good greif GQ had he had them since 1971? How can 55kg of them be so invisible? How big is this cellar?
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Oct 17, 6:00 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,593 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    It has the same footprint as the small house above it but is badly-lit. They were in a crate, on the floor, under a table with another crate on top of them. And a 5 kg bag of them is a bit smaller than a standard bag of sugar, so they're heavy for the space they take up, IYSWIM.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 09-10-2017 at 6:02 PM.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Floss
    • By Floss 9th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 33,688 Thanks
    Floss
    55kg of thrupenny bits must have got a fair price at a scrapyard
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 9th Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    So a mixed day today

I gave a slide to the boys nursery.and three bags of rubblish went to the recycling centre. Finding this is the easiest way for me little bit at a time.also our recycling bin is full again too :-)

The boys room is looking a bit of a mess again...so reconsidering how he keeps his millions of thomas engines so we are trialing a box that can sit on his thomas chest and they csn be thrown in there quickly.can not find somethings that i found end of august.weve been through his room too so must be behind bed or in somewhere more difficult to find.

I have appointments now everyday this week so not sure how much progress i will make.also returning to work next week all being well with my back so not sure what is going to happen with progress then either.
    My open university course started Saturday so i must fond time to study too.but with the house being clearer i am hoping i will find it easier to relax
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th Oct 17, 6:29 PM
    • 12,241 Posts
    • 216,157 Thanks
    greenbee
    I wonder how many people will find thrupenny bits in their puddings this Christmas instead of sixpences?

Oddly, I found a sixpence on my coffee table last week. Just sitting there...

GQ - do you take a head torch into this cellar? And are you excavating it methodically or just poking around and seeing what looks interesting? And can we all come along too?
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 9th Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    catshark88
    Sent 3 recycling bags of cardboard out, but that pales into insignificance beside GW's thruppeny bit hoard...

Do you think that all those coin hoards in local museums are just people in the past, who liked hanging on to stuff?
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,593 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I wonder how many people will find thrupenny bits in their puddings this Christmas instead of sixpences?

Oddly, I found a sixpence on my coffee table last week. Just sitting there...

GQ - do you take a head torch into this cellar? And are you excavating it methodically or just poking around and seeing what looks interesting? And can we all come along too?
    Originally posted by greenbee
    It has a fluroescent tube but the cellar is so chocka that it has a lot of shadowy bits. I have used a small torch to poke into some corners.

As you can't all come down the cellar with me (we'd not all fit) I shall give you a virtual tour.

Please duck your heads as we go through the door under the stairs and step gingerly down the brick-edged twisting steps into the cellar. Who just said Owww?! Sorry, thought you'd see that beam just above your head there - my bad.

We are now in the dank and vaguely mushroom-smelling cellar. Note how it appears older than the Victorian building up above? As in a couple of centuries older? Yes, I think so, too. Watch where you put your feet as we gaze in bemusement/ wonderment/ bafflement/ horror at the many treasures in this particularly English version of King Tut's Tomb.

There are, in no particular order; various large steel weights, some of which have rusted and stuck to the carpet. A set of balance scales as in from a greengrocer (hence knowing about the 55 kg of 3ds). A coffee jar of copper nails (no idea), various display cases (broken), frameless pictures and pictureless frames (un-matching), mummified spiders, blunt pencils, ice-cream tubs (predominantly Carte D'Or), several silvery things which can't be sold because of being only plated, and lots and lots of boxes which I am just itching to get my paws into.

Oh, and a small forest of dead fluro light bulbs and gawd knows what. I have cherry picked the best stuff long ago and got it cleaned up and flogged off, this is the random sweepings.

Please, don't put thruppenny bits in your Xmas puddings or you'll be spending a lot more than 3d at the dentist, these things are chunky. And worth about £2 kg as scrap, apparently. If you can be arrissed to get them to the scrapyard, which my pal obviously couldn't.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin