Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,757Posts
    • 20,754Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 55
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 6th Oct 17, 11:20 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    catshark88
    Minnie, I hope you have many happy times, on the beach, remembering your loved ones with joyful thoughts. There's nothing quite like a happy dog, on a beach to spark joy...

It might be very cathartic to let the Radley bag go, it sounds a very visual reminder of what you suffered. A much wiser person than me on here, advised that we should think what our loved one would say to us about keeping something that made us sad, that they had given us.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Oct 17, 6:51 AM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,801 Thanks
    kittie
    Minnie, I empathise so much. That letting go is part of the healing that can come, if we let it, after a period of bereavement and that enables us to move forward. I regard KM as the backbone of my own personal journey. You mentioned lots of momentoes, that was hard but little by little it can be done. If you gather a group of them together, then pick just one small one to represent all the others. Photos were particularly tough but I made sure that everything was copied onto cds and memory sticks, the children each received a cd from me. Then I bought lovely small `industrial` frames from ebay, thin bronze metal edged and they opened wide, like a book. I copied lots of pictures and just cut parts of some to make collages but with spacing in between, I put a little sticky thing on the back of each and closed the frames. I have 5 in different sizes and they give me very great joy. One contains very old sepia and white pictures of my grandparents. So much better than being in a big box, tucked away. They stand on a bookshelf with a bronze resin ammonite lamp and a large bronze resin hare and as a group, well I could not want for more. KM enabled this, saw me through that initially difficult and traumatic process, from grey and sad to sunshine

I am excited today, slept well and woke up excited because there will be very real progress in my en suite and bedroom, this weekend. This is the time, at last, when I will take away good items to make room for energy flow. Things like lovely kipling suitcases stored under the bed and never used.

I keep thinking back to the days when we lived in a very small caravan for 6 months and I also think to the `what if` like when my husband had to do some professional photos in a newly built and lovely supported care campus, I went with him to help. Each person had one tiny bedroom for a single bed, a minute kitchen, tiny weeny living room and small bathroom. Many would have gone there from large houses, imagine having to clear out so suddenly. KM is obviously different for different generations and circumstances but it has a very real place for everyone at any stage of life

Soon I go upstairs, with a lightness in my step, this stage will be mega for me and I will see very real progress on my journey
    Last edited by kittie; 07-10-2017 at 6:53 AM.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Oct 17, 7:25 AM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 33,706 Thanks
    Floss
    Minnie maybe a treatment of natural leather cream and a good polish will help the Radley feel loved as you thank it for its time in your life and the love it carried from your grandad. There are also "handbag hospitals" that will restore them.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 7th Oct 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 23,194 Thanks
    MMF007
    Minnie, would you consider replacing the Ridley bag and some of the traumatic memory that brings forth with a beautiful item that represents your survival that also has a resonance of your grandad - something in his favourite colour, or made of a pertinent material, or even jewellery incorporating a momento of him? That way you would have a replacement that is a happy item.

Kittie, your day sounds so upbeat and full of positive action, I love it!

It's packing up day here, as we begin our journey home (nearly 500 miles but we shall break the journey, staying about 1/2 way tonight). I realise that I packed enough tops for every day, plus a couple for going out but, guess what? I only wore half of them, chucking the favourites in the wm and wearing them again! Oh well, it all still fitted in a small case and the unworn garments will just slot back into their row in my drawer
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 7th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 9,463 Thanks
    tibawo
    What a week. We have had something on every evening so things just got dumped and when you dump things 'other' bits seem to magically join them. I actually have been really good at putting things away but it was a case of things like bring work bag and dd1 back from somewhere to then nip the loo and then go straight out somewhere with dd2. I saw want to just sit here but know i will not relax properly knowing it needs doing. Luckily its raining so we wouldn't be going far to day. Hope it fines up at some point as i need to get up to the allotment!

Might be back later but i am off to tidy ten things in each room and then my 'normal' second cup of coffee!
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    My ten pound weekly challenge - weeks completed 3/52 missed target 1
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Oct 17, 10:58 AM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,801 Thanks
    kittie
    I knew it, am going great guns but am up to my neck in mess, luckily confined to my bedroom and the landing. Which is why I much prefer area to category. En suite target has been reached and so has the target for the fitted tall cupboard in my bedroom. Thank goodness for my muji containers, they don`t half stack nice but I need some more lids, so I can stack more

I `found` 13 pairs of brand new knickers, arghhh and here is me having cut out two pairs to sew. I completely forgot about my knicker stash. I find soaps difficult to remove but the wrapped ones can go to cs. Everyone seems to use liquid soaps these days

Having had a coffee, I felt re-energised and have pulled some cases out from under my bed. omg, 6 cases all neatly stacked, all nice cases, some quite large. I am going to stack as best as I can and then keep them away from the bed, they will be useful for moving and then I will re-home some. Yes, I am already on the way to being much better sorted and will reach my objective by lunchtime, when I will relax
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 7th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 4,604 Thanks
    Fen1
    Floss: could you recommend a good leather cream? I have a lovely brightly coloured handbag that needs TLC. Also, could you give more information about the "handbag hospital"? I have another lovely bag with the stitching unravelling between the handle and the zip. Both bags are expensive real leather bags, a real treat for me. I actually got things I liked and use daily😀
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 7th Oct 17, 1:33 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Thank you everyone. The bag came with leather cream and cloth etc i will never use it again i was going to use it for work but my hubby bought me another for work and i have another work one i am kondoing anyway. The scrapes on it are from the road it got trapped under the car and against the verge .the car was upside down when it stopped rolling and i had to kick my way out as car was crushed so door was wedged on road
    I have tonnes of things that remind me of people just hard filtering them down.but i know it needs to be done.decided i am going to use a scarf he bought me been wrapped in it original paper for a decade :-( silly really
    My children are my celebration of survival i was told i couldnt have any because the tumour has made me infertile so they were both a great surprise to us and my consultants.i will be having a hysterectomy soon :-( for medical reasons so their timing was great too im only 35.i have lots to be thankful for and my outlook is changing thanks to marie.

so i am child free for an hour or so but i am not sure what i am going to tackle.i think i also have some child bits at mums that the kids done use anymore we are going there for a visit tomorrow so i may bring them back and i think i am going to try and do a car boot next weekend and any money made will go towards that dreaded word christmas!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 11,370 Posts
    • 64,801 Thanks
    kittie
    minnie, I want to send you a lovely cuddly hug. You have backbone and are moving forward, taking small steps for now but they don`t half add up. Be proud of what you are achieving, plodding up that mountain
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 7th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 9,528 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Go gently Minnie

Today I had an epiphany about a top that I bought. The fabric is incredibly joy-sparking but the top itself is awful. (Doesn't fit or suit me and is sewn wonky!)

I had to say goodbye to my very loved rucksack recently and I have a lovely new one but it doesn't have many pockets.

I will use the top to make a rucksack inner pouch
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I just went through my winter cardigans and gave them all a quick wash. I am going to visit a CS next week and I will give them a black cardigan that I don't like. It seems to pick up fluff.

I have one black cardigan with a hole, but I can wear that around the house over pyjamas as it is quite warm.

I'm going to start to read a book I bought to see if I like it and if not that can be donated too.

I bought a nail varnish I really don't like and wondered if a CS will take it as I've only used it once.

I'm trying to rid the house of any chemical cleaners and have used up a few cleaning products in the last month. I have 4 big bottles of white vinegar instead to use for almost everything.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Oct 17, 2:38 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 33,706 Thanks
    Floss
    Fen1 if you use your search engine a few come up - Harrogate, Leeds & Newcastle are my nearest but they also do postal tlc.

Re cream, I use the neutral cream from Timpsons to nourish my leather bags.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 7th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Oh no ive just found 4 more pens!!!! How is this possible?!!! Thats 119 atleast
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 7th Oct 17, 3:38 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    This is not happening ive found another 5 pens!!! Thats 124
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 7th Oct 17, 4:52 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 20,973 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Minnie, I think you need to make a mental note that whenever you go somewhere you decline the free pen! I've just been on a training course, and they gave us a black pleather portfolio with the logo on, which I know I will never use, a free pen, and a free highlighter pens to add to the three I already have. I wanted to refuse them, but thought it would make me look a bit odd!

You are doing so well, you've obviously had some traumatic things in your life. Freeing the ashes is a brilliant thing to do. I think if the handbag makes you feel happy, because you survived, then keep it, scars and all. It doesn't sound as if that's the case though, so I would let it go.

It sounds as if you are making progress with the mountain of stuff, you really will be glad you've begun this process. On difficult days, which we all have sometimes, I feel better just not sitting and looking at piles of clutter. The mental effect of having less stuff around is incredible, and I really wish I had learned this earlier in life - I feel free to do things rather than think about them, and that's quite a change. Keep going!
    Last edited by PollyWollyDoodle; 07-10-2017 at 4:55 PM. Reason: Gibberish
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 7th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Found another 6 so thats 130 pens and the children are home so less progress is being made now . Its hard finding suitable forever homes for things at the minute now swapping the girls clothes back to my wardrobe from our sons as hers is full of my sister clothes
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 7th Oct 17, 5:07 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 28,185 Thanks
    maddiemay
    On Thursday I (with permission) I kondoed a great pile of newspapers, magazines and post at elderly mother's home. Today when I visited she handed me Thursday and Friday's newspapers and a couple of brochures for the re-cycling, great progress Next visit I am taking poly pockets and sorting out her important paperwork into some kind of system, which is great, but while I am there (she has been ill) no-one is doing mine
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 7th Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 2,259 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    Handbag repairs
    ONe of the straps on my handbag came unstitched so I took it to the local shoe repair shop and its as good as new
    So pleased as I can never find the right size of handbag
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 7th Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    So the hubby is just home from work so i can crack on need to get rid of some more stuff!! I potentially could pop to tip on the way to my mums tomorrow exciting times!!

I have race for life medals......do i keep or get rid? I just cant find a place for them. I have just shaved all my hair off for macmillan cancer support and i dont have a physical keep sake from that.my sister and my friend keep a length of my hair they cut off .and when i do cake sales for macmillian i dont physically get anything to keep.i cant think of another use for them either.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 7th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 12,242 Posts
    • 216,166 Thanks
    greenbee
    I haven't kept race for life medals, or any others. I know I've done it. The sponsorship is the important thing. I used to hang them in my office, but frankly got fed up with them cluttering the place up.

My bedroom is currently feeling very cluttered, as I've started emptying cupboards in the dining room where I have masses of glass and have put it all on the shelves in my bedroom & bathroom for safekeeping.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,375Posts Today

8,045Users online

Martin's Twitter