Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,591Posts
    • 19,754Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 54
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 11,141 Posts
    • 62,149 Thanks
    kittie
    welcome Lottie

I use my board for present wrapping too, I couldn`t do without my board for sewing, using a ham, sleeve board, clapper and for ironing interfacing neatly. It makes it all much more accurate, also for making bias binding while standing at a comfortable height

I am still in KM mode but only on an as I see it basis, I am not turning any more drawers and cupboards out. I may well get rid of a couple of bannetons, I don`t need four but they will have to be thrown out as they are not new and maybe an oblong baking cloche for bread, I have 2 oblong and one round. I cannot see me making that many batons these days. That will go to the cs. Lol, I am bread making today hence the bread making stuff, that is the way it will be in future
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 6th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 12,162 Posts
    • 215,460 Thanks
    greenbee
    I need to remember to get rid of my currently-in-use PJs when they have been washed. They are old and comfy, but the elastic has gone and they don't stay up...
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 5,972 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I never iron anything! I don't even have an iron.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 27,854 Posts
    • 152,676 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You got it kc, you only need to buy the iron as you can substitute the board fir floor, table, bunker etc.

However its probably just me but my table is formica type and I'd be so nervous I'd have about a dozen towels to absorb the heat hence leaving me with the option of the floor which my knees wouldn't thank me for lol so my board stays. Your table/desk idea would work perfectly well though. I've sometimes considered a tiny ironing board that they sell for sewing type people that has wee legs to keep it up off the table - so much easier to store and does the job as well. Good luck with the new machine
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    Thanks for this. I'm trying to envisage the reality of how it would be. I'd be needing to sew, and then to iron ... so I can swap around between the desk (modern formica-ish) and the kitchen table (solid wood). I have the layer of vinyl I use as a heat shield already, to go on either surface. It's doable, I'm sure it is.

Thanks!

First the collar, then the cuff
    Then the front and that's enough
    Originally posted by maryb
    I love this!

Thanks for all the ironing comments...my board is going, that's decided!

When I bought it I had to wear shirts for work, so every Sunday night was spent ironing them, but I don't do that any more, and I've gradually steered my wardrobe in the no-ironing direction.

I also specifically bought 100% cotton bedding, duvet, even mattress so that none of it would melt if I ironed on it!

Keeping the iron, but the board is off to the charity shop!
    Originally posted by firebubble
    Yay! I don't think mine is fit for the charity shop, though it's quite old, and the centre of the board has worn through to a depth of half a centimetre or so, you can see all the chipboard I think it needs to go to the tip.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Upsy Staffordshire
    • By Upsy Staffordshire 6th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 3,741 Thanks
    Upsy Staffordshire
    Upsy Staffordshire your post really sparked joy for me! It's great to hear from someone who's feeling the benefits. While I did complete the whole process, or so I thought, I still find pockets of 'kipple' (in GQs words!) that need sorting out. And things that made the first cut suddenly seem superfluous next time around. Every time I clear a little area that's built up I can see a future where I never have to do it again.

Greent I have a lovely pair of shoes with a matching bag that I wore for my niece's wedding - I don't think I've worn them since, but I love them and they make me smile. Ahem, my niece got married 12 years ago but they're a classic style so I'm keeping them!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Thank you PollyWollyDoodle - hopefully Marie would be proud We found several things in the loft that we should have got rid of ages ago and the garage has lots of things that need getting rid of, but my husband does not like getting rid of anything. Luckily, the house move has made him finally decide to be ruthless

We are going to spend the weekend going through the garage and making tip runs with everything we don't need to keep. The house we are moving to is bigger than this one but has no garage, just a small space for storing the lawnmower and maybe a few other things. I think we will end up buying a small shed, but for now we will make do, so I don't want to have to store too many things in the house. I'm actually looking forward to having the clear out because now my husband is on the same page it means we can get rid of so many things, rather than keeping everything because he doesn't want to throw anything away

In terms of ironing, I iron most of our tops, but that's pretty much it. I can't be bothered with ironing bedsheets etc. Our ironing board is behind our kitchen door, leaning up against the fridge because we don't have anywhere else to store it. I might store it in the spare room in our new house. Decisions, decisions
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 6th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 12,162 Posts
    • 215,460 Thanks
    greenbee
    I outsource my ironing I like having ironed sheets but don't like doing it, so let myself have that as a luxury. My neighbour does them for me - much faster and better than I can, and I know she needs the income. She also irons work clothes as and when needed.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 6th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    • 6,713 Posts
    • 41,431 Thanks
    Pooky
    When DDs moved out I turned the spare room built in wardrobe into my laundry area, iron and board live in there with the ironing basket and my airers. If I can't hang it all outside then I hang it in the spare room, open the windows a bit, pop the dehumidifier on and can get it dry in a few hours....then it's in the right place for ironing and putting away. DH wears shirts every day and they need an iron, I don't have many things that need it but I do use it a lot for sewing and I wash all my curtains a couple of times a year and they always need ironing.

Have kondod 3 boxes of beads to the CS bag, I'm never going to use them but someone will.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 6th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 25,988 Thanks
    short_bird
    Ironing board used for 2 things: when I have the sewing machine out and when I need an extra sorting surface...
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • Lottie loves
    • By Lottie loves 6th Oct 17, 2:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Lottie loves
    Hi and thanks so much for the welcome everyone.
    Not got any decluttering done today but I'm happy with all Ive got through this week. As well as the huge pile of papers I've Kondoed a decent amount of other stuff this week: some kitchen items, few things from my wardrobe, magazines to a friend, an old trampoline (tiny kids one) to the tip and a bag of plastic carriers to the supermarket recycling bins. Does anyone else find that even if they always carry a 'bag for life' that plasticbags accumulate anyway? A lot are bread bags but others seem to find their way in too! How is this??
    • Upsy Staffordshire
    • By Upsy Staffordshire 6th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 3,741 Thanks
    Upsy Staffordshire
    Hi and thanks so much for the welcome everyone.
    Not got any decluttering done today but I'm happy with all Ive got through this week. As well as the huge pile of papers I've Kondoed a decent amount of other stuff this week: some kitchen items, few things from my wardrobe, magazines to a friend, an old trampoline (tiny kids one) to the tip and a bag of plastic carriers to the supermarket recycling bins. Does anyone else find that even if they always carry a 'bag for life' that plasticbags accumulate anyway? A lot are bread bags but others seem to find their way in too! How is this??
    Originally posted by Lottie loves
    Yes we have the same problem too Lottie! My husband often forgets to take bags into shops, or doesn't take enough with him so has to buy more. They seem to keep multiplying!
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 11,275 Posts
    • 217,113 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I need to remember to get rid of my currently-in-use PJs when they have been washed. They are old and comfy, but the elastic has gone and they don't stay up...
    Originally posted by greenbee
    I re-elastic pj bottoms in these circs. Takes about 5 mins and 20p of elastic. Open up the elastic channel at centre back with a quick-unpick, pierce elastic end with a large safety pin then thread it through, overlap the ends by an inch or so, stitch elastic to itself by hand, and then close the channel.

Don't bother trying to remove the old elastic, the edge of it is usually incorporated into the overlocking of the waistband. Just leave it in, you'll never notice the extra thickness but you will notice that your jammies don't keep sliding ankle-wards.

Easy-peasy, cheap as chips and really makes those comfy pjs last until they're worn out. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 6th Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 4,026 Thanks
    Picklepot
    I stalled with some sentimental stuff so changed tack and headed for the kitchen.
    Medicated dog shampoo under kitchen sink expired 2008 (what??)
    Many plastic tubs and lids too many to count only 4 paired - rest recyled to plastic bin.
    Utensil drawer scrutinised oh my life so much kibble .various bottles of sparkling wine goodness knows how old..my wine rack is used for rolled tea towels !! we rarely drink..Anyhow fledgling KMer here has two cardboard boxes full to fling..i think im getting the hang of this
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 6th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 12,162 Posts
    • 215,460 Thanks
    greenbee
    I re-elastic pj bottoms in these circs. Takes about 5 mins and 20p of elastic. Open up the elastic channel at centre back with a quick-unpick, pierce elastic end with a large safety pin then thread it through, overlap the ends by an inch or so, stitch elastic to itself by hand, and then close the channel.

Don't bother trying to remove the old elastic, the edge of it is usually incorporated into the overlocking of the waistband. Just leave it in, you'll never notice the extra thickness but you will notice that your jammies don't keep sliding ankle-wards.

Easy-peasy, cheap as chips and really makes those comfy pjs last until they're worn out. HTH.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    TBH they're too big and will probably start to develop holes soon. Not fit for the CS, but apparently the homeless shelter want PJs and will take worn ones, so I'll offer them there. If not they'll go in the rag bag. I have plenty of other pairs (cast offs from my mother mostly), so I'm not in danger of running out. I'm trying to make myself get rid of tatty clothes as I need to try not to look quite so alarmingly scruffy. I know PJs aren't generally seen by the public, but I might as well apply the same standard across the board!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 11,275 Posts
    • 217,113 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've always thought people would kill themselves laughing if they saw me in my jammies. Most of them aren't even in pairs, they were bought as separates secondhand. The ones I'm styling tonight are brushed cotton red, white and grey norwegian-style reindeer print bottoms and a brushed cotton nightshirt top which is a two-shades-of-lilac-and-white plaid.

Both have been mended and are beautifully soft and when they're worn up, I shall thank them and rag-bag them. Cost me 50p each.

I have several mismatched 'pairs' of jammies like this, probably too many, but some of them are on heavy rotation and will be worn out in a few months, so the ongoing inventory will be much smaller.

Dropped in on my pal's juntique shop after w*rk for a chat and assisted someone to spend £100 on various items. I won't say I'm a brilliant saleswoman but I'm friendly and helpful. My reward was a kit-kat and a cuppa and a nice thank-you............
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• minnie2
    • By minnie2 6th Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 8,057 Thanks
    minnie2
    So i kondo'd a few sets of ashes today finally :-) they arent achieving anything in my wardrobe was nice to set them free in a wonderful place.

I have a small slide that i am going to give to one of the childrens nursery next week :-)

The boys room is nearly completely kondo'd too well until the 26th December! !! Eek

The get rid pile in the living room is going down piece by piece maybe more tomorrow if nanny has the kids for a bit :-) may even get in a tip run.hope theres a charity shop open tomorrow. ......
    Last edited by minnie2; 06-10-2017 at 7:33 PM.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 6th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 6,004 Thanks
    catshark88
    Fun bit of Kondoing today, going through a shoebox of old costume jewellery. Gosh, the earrings I used to wear! A bagful went off to the CS, along with yet more glasses.

I feel like I'm peeling an onion of "stuff". The obvious layers have gone and now I'm getting to the real nitty gritty of who I am.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 4,591 Posts
    • 19,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    I've just remembered, I rented a room in a house many years ago where I had a microwave, bar fridge and kettle in my room as my cooking facilities (a big improvement on the previous place which had just a kettle). The ironing board doubled up as my kitchen work surface for when I was cooking.

This evening I've opened up a parcel from the 'Big River' company. Ordered a cream fire screen to hide the hideous gas fire in our new house. They've sent us a wicker basket. About as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I'm wondering if there's somebody wondering why they've got a fire screen instead of a wicker basket.......... It wasn't the river company themselves but one of their sellers.

Blooming nuisance, we're visiting the house tomorrow we could have taken it with us. At least we unpacked it and found out the error here.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 11,141 Posts
    • 62,149 Thanks
    kittie
    ahhh Minnie, that was nice, setting the ashes free

All this talk of kondo, people getting on with it, it is making me think again. I have a tall thin cupboard in my en suite and have decided to make it half full rather than full. Sigh, these bits are not easy but I keep wondering how I would actually downsize, push will come to shove soon, with a bit of luck, if I find a new home. I am going to go through a room at a time, again, starting with en suite, then my bedroom. The upside is that I will be busy all weekend, so it won`t matter if I don`t see anyone. It is nice to have a plan

You are all good examples, it was the toiletries and then the costume jewellery that is helping my mindset move forward
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Oct 17, 8:45 PM
    • 11,275 Posts
    • 217,113 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Just been into my folder of smallish bits of giftwrap, ends of rolls etc, and found enough to wrap three gifts which will be leaving at the weekend on the Family Parcel Service (will be going to someone on the other side of the county near their home but not mine). Much more economical than posting them, and a fraction less paper (and a gift bag!) reduction of in-house inventory.

And yes, I was using my ironing board as a wrapping station.........

As it's up there, I might as well quickly iron a couple of things ready for next week. Won't take 5 mins and half the chore is getting the toys out, isn't it?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• minnie2
    • By minnie2 6th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 8,057 Thanks
    minnie2
    Thanks kittie.yes on a beautiful area of beach that we all loved to go to together and i will continue to enjoy going to with my children and dogs . Some of them have sat in my wardrobe for years finally realised thats no place for my loved ones to be :-) i am ready to move on.

As ive said before i dont deal with bereavement very well but have decided today on the way back that all the things i am holding onto are never going to fulfill their purpose sitting in my cupboard with no one allowed to touch them.if my grandad (my dad to me) was still alive i would be making full use of them.preserving these items does not preserve him no matter how much i try.i even have a random piece of paper with his writing on. So i am going to use these things and enjoy using them

I also have a very beautiful radley handbag that my grandad bought for me that was involved in a horrendous car accident i had it has many scratches in the leather and not looking its best.the accident was before he died but i have other bags so i swapped to another but then after he died i just hold onto it because he bought it. The accident also represents the time i some how didnt die even though i should have and it also represents my brain tumour either growing from the trauma or developing because of the trauma (i rolled the car 4x roof came off and my head was hitting the road every roll) but i have decided to either ditch it or see if i can repair it and kondo it to my friend.

I dont go as far as to thank my house nor do i attend to my possessions as much as Marie does but she has made me view things differently with my house (its not in the best of states its needs a lot of work) and possessions and for that i am grateful.she has come into my life at the right time not had the best of years this year either but now it is going to be the year pf change.although few years earlier would have been great though!!!
    Last edited by minnie2; 06-10-2017 at 9:54 PM.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

6,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin