Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,757Posts
    • 20,754Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 53
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 5th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    catshark88
    I am very excited. I am waiting for am Am@zon delivery which includes 2 plate stands for items I stored out of sight, FOR YEARS in the bureau that now awaits its Viking funeral.

One is a bit of stained glass from the door of my childhood home (which I adored) and one is a tacky painted plate of a smiling whale, which is one of the most idiotically joy sparking things I can imagine.

OK, I need to get out more...
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    • 8,204 Posts
    • 43,443 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    To those swithering, get rid of your irons and boards if you don't use them !!

I think as we go through life we gradually refine so if you currently don't iron on a regular basis then why are you going to suddenly start ? Or rather, why are you going to start so suddenly that you don't have time to go to a 24 hour supermarket and pay £12 for a new one ? You can easily iron on the floor on a towel or as other people have said on a kitchen bunker however if like me you iron once in a blue moon but it is sewing related then it is easier to keep the board for example I have just made curtains for my treatment room so was ironing long bits of cloth yesterday - if i ever needed to do a shirt I can do that on the floor, 2 yard long bits of cloth not so much.

It's easier though to hang a shirt on a hanger to dry buttoned up then put it straight in the wardrobe ready for its next usage. It's sitting for a week in an 'ironing basket' that crushes it.
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    this may work for "easycare" type shirts, but I can assure you the 100% cotton ones worn by MrEH can be removed straight from the machine, shaken well, and hung up right away, and they will STILL need an iron before he wears them to work. I don't care though - he does his own and usually any oddments of mind that need doing too - which suits me a treat!

ps - to the person who said they had nowhere to store their ironing board - try behind an open door - ours lives behind the spare room door in just this way at weekends. the iron, however, has no fixed abode and lives on the dining table...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    I agree, Mr Slinky couldn't get away without having his work shirts ironed - even the supposedly non-iron ones need doing. I do them, but I'd rather iron his shirts than wash my car or mow the grass so it's a trade in jobs we do.

Our ironing board is permanently up in a spare bedroom. I'm going to have to find somewhere to hide it when we eventually come to sell this house as it doesn't have an actual 'home'.
    • greent
    • By greent 5th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 6,505 Posts
    • 65,656 Thanks
    greent
    My iron and ironing board are permanently set up - I iron most days to keep on top of it (plus things like easy-iron/ non-iron shirts are not what they say!) - I like things to be crease free and wouldn't dream of not ironing virtually everything - but I also don't judge others for not ironing. Plus I have OH's work shirts and 2 sets of school shirts at a minimum which need ironing (plus bedding, tea towels.... all of these are (imo ) improved by ironing! I even choose my ironing board covers now to match the d!cor of the room!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 5th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 4,604 Thanks
    Fen1
    Unfortunately, I cannot hide things behind doors for 2 reasons.
    1. All my doors open flush to a wall with barely enough space for the handle, let alone a stonking great extra tall ironing board. The doors open 90 degrees, no more, so curtailing that would be very awkward.
    2. I have one door in my living area which remains closed to stop the cats wandering, whilst the other doors are bedrooms and bathroom, all of which need to close.

Packing and unpacking and packing it away again every day just wouldn't happen anyway!
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 5th Oct 17, 4:18 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    this may work for "easycare" type shirts, but I can assure you the 100% cotton ones worn by MrEH can be removed straight from the machine, shaken well, and hung up right away, and they will STILL need an iron before he wears them to work. I don't care though - he does his own and usually any oddments of mind that need doing too - which suits me a treat!

ps - to the person who said they had nowhere to store their ironing board - try behind an open door - ours lives behind the spare room door in just this way at weekends. the iron, however, has no fixed abode and lives on the dining table...
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    It works in this house as we only tend to be in fairly natural materials and his shirt is definitely pure cotton. Nowadays he only uses it for funerals and interviews (hence why I can count the number of shirts he owns on the fingers of one eeeehm, finger) so it's not out often but when it does get worn it really is nice and flat so ironing it wouldn't achieve much more

I agree behind door, or get one of those clever things that hang it over the door if it will take the weight. Under the bed or behind the couch would work too. Or maybe there is a bookcase that could be left a few inches away from being in the corner of a room leaving a nice space to stand it in ?

D xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 5th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    I like that I think I can certainly get rid of the board, but I'd keep the iron, in case I *did* want to iron on the table. I do have some things that would look better ironed, and I want to keep them.

I love the first statement! Though to be honest, buying a new ironing board would mean an online shop and a home delivery, as I have no car.

Hmmm! I'm just about to inherit a sewing machine from my mum, my sister's bringing it on Saturday. I've never sewed, but as this one has become available, I want to see if I *can*. I can see the board being better for long cloth than the floor, but I could still see ironing curtain length cloth on a table. Or my desk, come to that! Or am I missing something, Daisy? I really don't know, its a foreign area to me.

That's it, the ironing board gets the chop

Save
    Originally posted by Karmacat

You got it kc, you only need to buy the iron as you can substitute the board fir floor, table, bunker etc.

However its probably just me but my table is formica type and I'd be so nervous I'd have about a dozen towels to absorb the heat hence leaving me with the option of the floor which my knees wouldn't thank me for lol so my board stays. Your table/desk idea would work perfectly well though. I've sometimes considered a tiny ironing board that they sell for sewing type people that has wee legs to keep it up off the table - so much easier to store and does the job as well. Good luck with the new machine
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • maryb
    • By maryb 5th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 41,041 Thanks
    maryb
    First the collar, then the cuff
    Then the front and that's enough
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Lottie loves
    • By Lottie loves 5th Oct 17, 6:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Lottie loves
    Hi everyone. Mind if I join you? I read MK a while ago and loved it. I am on a journey of simplicity and decluttering. I've been reading all your posts and you all seem like a lovely bunch, on my wavelength:-) hope it's ok to join in....
    So today I've kondoed a huge pile of paperwork. I'd been putting off doing the filing and paperwork so it had built up but I'm all organised and streamlined now. Very satisfying.

Interesting talk about ironing. I'm firmly in the life-is-too-short-to-iron camp (unless it's a work shirt), and iron as little as possible. We all look ok I think!
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 5th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 16,697 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Welcome, Lottie!

Our ironing board lives in a tiny width between the built-in fridge and the wall; in an earlier house it lived behind the living room curtains, which were floor to ceiling. I'm not too keen on ironing and have been known to get out the extension cord and do the ironing outside in the sunshine
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7101,62= £ 6309.50 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 5th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Welcome lottie love.i have never ironed!! Bought the iron i have about 16years ago.no idea where it is but hubby does use it occasionally.we do have a board too in our conservatory that is a laundry room but i may discuss with him ditching it.we have a hoover we dont use too.we have laminate now so i sweep and then wipe with baby wipes maybe that could go.....

I manage to take handful of stuff to the tip today :-) & the boys bookcase is so very nearly complete which will equal his room has been kondoed completely yay!!! Currently sitting in it admiring my good work!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 5th Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 41,735 Thanks
    camelot1001
    I still iron some things although most of my work tops and trousers are fine if they are hung straight from the machine.

When I had a new kitchen put in last year I bought a proper ironing board hanger, it takes the iron too. I suppose I'm lucky in that I have quite a big cupboard I can put it in but it makes such a difference - used to hate walking past it wondering if it would open on its own and bonk me on the head!

I've kondoe'd 2 plug adaptors for the electric toothbrush, both stopped working after DS2 had plugged in his laptop through them (he lives in NL). Just sorry I didn't realise it was the plugs as I thought the toothbrush had stopped working and bought a new one!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,602 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Welcome in, lottie!

Loving the ironing talk. I do iron a few things, mainly blouses made from cotton and linen. I like the fibres a lot, they are joyous to me and I don't mind caring for them. Bedsheets, tea towels, towels etc are left to their own devices, however.

I do sew from time to time and pressing as you go is critically important to achieving a good result, so I'd keep an iron for that, if for nothing else.

My Tefal Ultraglide was a present in about 1987. There may well be people on this forum who weren't even a twinkle in someone's eye back then.

Went to the lottie for an hour after w*rk to identify which of the fenceposts are going to be replaced with ones from the shed. Have tied scraps of rag alongside the offending parties to speed things up on Sunday.

I also had to harvest my pumpkins (5) and butternut squash (9) because something, prolly rats, had chewed up every single marrow/ courgette in the same bed since Sunday and I was fearful the others would be next.

Hey-ho, it has at least freed me from the chore of chowing through even more marrows, lol.

Oh, and I just noticed that the socks I'm wearing have started to go thin over the back of the heels. These are one of a few pairs which have been on heavy rotation and I'm astonished at how long it has taken to get them to this stage. Once they're gone, they'll be laundered and in the rag bag. Can't wait.

Hope everyone is having a great week. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    Are butternut squash easy to grow GQ? I had a seed sprout in the trap in the kitchen sink but it disappeared when I planted it out. I wouldn't mind growing them, I love love love BS soup. Happy to eat it several days on the trot when I make a big pan.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,602 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    All the squash family are easy to grow, as long as they have space to sprawl, fertile soil and plenty of water. They like the sun, too. I was given the plants when they were a few inches tall, just dug a little hole in the ground and shoved 'em in. They were watered when it was very dry but otherwise left entirely to their own devices.

The thing to be wary of when planting seeds from veggies you bought as groceries is that many plants grown commercially are F1 hybrids. F1 means that the seed was hybridised from two different parents and the seed it produces in turn isn't going to replicate the plant it came from.

It could resemble one parental strain, or the other, or neither and still be something completely different from what you saw originally.

I've already bought my butternut squash seed for 2018; Butterly F1, was £1.50 from Wilko but I got it on a 50% off deal a few weeks ago.

It would be better to buy some seeds rather than save what are probably F1 hybrids as you might end up with something unpalatable after several months on the garden. HTH.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Charis
    • By Charis 5th Oct 17, 9:28 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 12,970 Thanks
    Charis

I do sew from time to time and pressing as you go is critically important to achieving a good result, so I'd keep an iron for that, if for nothing else.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I second that, particularly crucial if you have to inset sleeves or use darts in the garment. For the majority of women, a dress that had neither would probably resemble a modified oversized pillow case.

Also, thanks for the info about not reusing seeds from bought veggies, GQ. Something I hadn't thought about. I did try once but the butternut squashes resembled peanuts (in their shells). That may have been why.
    Save
    Save
    Save
    • firebubble
    • By firebubble 5th Oct 17, 9:40 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    firebubble
    Thanks for all the ironing comments...my board is going, that's decided!

When I bought it I had to wear shirts for work, so every Sunday night was spent ironing them, but I don't do that any more, and I've gradually steered my wardrobe in the no-ironing direction.

I also specifically bought 100% cotton bedding, duvet, even mattress so that none of it would melt if I ironed on it!

Keeping the iron, but the board is off to the charity shop!
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 6th Oct 17, 8:08 AM
    • 6,734 Posts
    • 41,645 Thanks
    Pooky
    A tip for those who need to iron the odd thing and don't want a board is a couple of layers of towels on a table or worksurface to iron on...as thick as you can so you don't transfer the heat through to the surface of the wood/worksurface (which are mostly laminate and will bubble up with heat)

My nan used to have one of those 70's orange pine tables with bench seats in her kitchen and always sat at it to iron with her layers of towels underneath. That table top then got sanded down to rid it of the orange pine and was made into a decorative hearth in my first house ��
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 6th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 20,973 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I can't cope with towels, I find I need a firmer surface to iron on, especially if pressing seams etc for sewing. My ironing board has a matching sleeve board and I sometimes use that for small items, or you can buy mini ironing boards for patchwork etc, although they're disproportionately expensive! I remember seeing a kitchen once where the ironing board slid out from under the worktop, I'd love that.

Mine lives on a hanger thingy behind the kitchen door, which is never closed. I rarely iron clothes but I'll be keeping the board, I also use it for wrapping presents as it's easier on the back.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Oct 17, 8:44 AM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,602 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I use mine for present wrapping, too! Thought I was unique in this habit. I'm very tall and tables are too low for me.

I'm also wary of ironing on carpets; a previous rented home had a melted spot on the bedroom carpet the exact shape of an iron - predated my tenancy but I still lived with the ugly thing for years.

I've seen those small ironing boards (bigger than sleeve boards) in chazzers before now and been tempted but I have a full-sized ironing board, it sits neatly in the broom cupboard alongside the Henry vac and I wouldn't gain any usable space by getting rid of it, so she stays for now.

Righty, off to earn my daily salad (don't eat bread ), hope you all have a great day. GQ x
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,745Posts Today

7,010Users online

Martin's Twitter