Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,576Posts
    • 19,512Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 52
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 4th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 5,922 Thanks
    catshark88
    Do have a bag of babies first outfits not sure what to do with them as i am keeping them for children to decide.but i am in two mindswith those now too
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Do the clothes make you smile and feel happy when you handle them? If so, keep them. This is all about keeping the stuff you really love, but getting rid of things that you don't. To be honest, I'm v sentimental about my kids' baby clothes and have a boxful, carefully selected and lovingly folded, in my loft, so you might want to ignore me on this one!

I think you can have baby clothes made into soft toys these days? Maybe one of those for your children might be a nice reminder?
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 4th Oct 17, 4:21 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 5,922 Thanks
    catshark88
    One box of wine glasses (still boxed, an unused wedding present) went to my lovely cleaner today. I never liked the feel of the glasses, but I LOVE the work of my cleaner, so it seemed a very good option!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • kittie
    • By kittie 4th Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 11,126 Posts
    • 62,067 Thanks
    kittie
    I am making a very big effort to use candles as a keep-warm and cheeriness factor. I`ve put candle sand in votive holders and plonked tealights in them, I must have a couple of hundred and dinner candles, one at a time in a wee willie winkie holder inside a very tall lantern with a metal top. The top gets warm, like a heater.

Three unused tall tealight lighthouse type holders are out as in KM, far too big for what they do, I also have three neat colourful holders for votives and they can do both jobs

What I do like is the fact, actual fact, that removing things leaves the equivalent volume of free space and it doesn`t half add up. Oh and yes, the karma woo I got a nice tax rebate this week

re very sentimental things like drawings, baby clothes, toys etc. We kept an awful lot of that and none of the children wanted any of it. They went a few years ago and I have never regretted it
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 4th Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 7,977 Thanks
    minnie2
    They do bring me joy not many outfits for each baby just a couple.half a gift bag. Ill hang on.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 4th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 11,270 Posts
    • 217,022 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I spoke to my parents yestereve and was told that they'd done a dump run and the last of the three hoarded windows from their house-before-it-had-double-glazing has now gone. As well as some misc metal and plastic and green waste. Feeling the wooo....

Mum also told me she'd seen a very nice blouse in Sainsbugs, only £18, very pretty, and been tempted. Then she'd told herself that she wouldn't wear it as it doesn't have the three-quarter length sleeve she favours, and so she passed on it. She was pleased with her decisiveness.

She also (gleefully!) told me that she's almost given up ironing anything and found that the world still turns and that nobody notices or cares. The joy of pensionerhood, hey? I've only been trying since my teens to get her to do less - preferably nil- ironing. Result!

Been busy at work and doing other things. Just prepped some recycling to go out and am getting some Stuff off the wall unit. Am inspired by the fact that the family are coming over on Sunday for a few hours. I can just about seat the four of us but only if I bring my extra folding chair up from the storage shed, and any bags/ coats are dumped on my bed. Oh, and I'll get the extra mugs out from the cupboard as I only have one on the go at a time.

Many of the things in my life are to be kondo'd by natural attrition, by wearing them out, rather than getting rid and then re-buying a little way down the line. It means that I should end up with fewer of everything from pillowslips to towels to face flannels and time goes on. The goal will be to have a smaller inventory of everything, now I know how long things last and that I need relatively few examples of each category.

All I need to achieve is the ability to silence the anxiety about not having Enough and the excessive tendancy to spave by bulk buying - wish me luck.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• greent
    • By greent 4th Oct 17, 7:52 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 63,745 Thanks
    greent
    Tackling clothes today - again - because my wardrobe needed a major sort out and season-turn-around. 4 items + 1 handbag on the 'out' pile so far. Also, some Summery tops will be going on holiday with me later this month and not making the return journey Will finish it off tomorrow. There are also some (impractical) shoes which I love but am unlikely to wear again. On the basis they make me smile when I open their boxes, though, I am going to keep them

Half a dozen books were read and passed on last month. One more so far this month, with another likely to be finished by weekend. I need to identify some in my 'to read' pile to go on holiday with - they will also not be making the return journey!

Carrier bag full of excess toiletries and food (mainly 'free' (ie: brought back from camp/ expeditions by DS1) ration pack food items - so complete, long life meals which are already cooked) gone today too to Harvest Festival. Some of the food would have been eaten eventually - but only because I dislike waste - far better to pass it on where it may be of more use

Am also using up several tealights most nights/ week now - cheery and warm-looking (Plus I have several hundred to get through.......)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1198.90/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1645/2017 items
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 4th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 21,385 Thanks
    MMF007
    Kondo'd a large beech hedge back to tidy! Also, a rose hedge, several shrubs and 4 trees whipped into shape.
    Did a bit of reverse kondo-ing by buying some sandals in the sale -they are the same footbed as my all time favourite pair that finally gave up the ghost last year so I was delighted to find them

Tomorrow we are kondo-ing paperwork - a little bonfire, a sort of bonfire-ette, will do the trick

ooh, we love tealights, makes winter seem so cosy.
    Last edited by MMF007; 04-10-2017 at 9:08 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 4th Oct 17, 9:27 PM
    • 12,155 Posts
    • 215,399 Thanks
    greenbee
    3 bags of 'stuff' to the CS today. I also have a bag for the homeless shelter, but need to organise a drop off and I'm not sure which one I'll take it to. It's full of towels, airline amenity packs/hotel toiletries and a few fleeces, all of which should be useful.

I'm working my way through the opened hotel toiletries, but have got very low on quite a few things, so stocked up in TKMaxx today. I visit every few months and stock up, but only on things I would normally buy full price. I now have plenty of moisturiser, body lotion, shower gel and bubble bath.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 4th Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 20,174 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Upsy Staffordshire your post really sparked joy for me! It's great to hear from someone who's feeling the benefits. While I did complete the whole process, or so I thought, I still find pockets of 'kipple' (in GQs words!) that need sorting out. And things that made the first cut suddenly seem superfluous next time around. Every time I clear a little area that's built up I can see a future where I never have to do it again.

Greent I have a lovely pair of shoes with a matching bag that I wore for my niece's wedding - I don't think I've worn them since, but I love them and they make me smile. Ahem, my niece got married 12 years ago but they're a classic style so I'm keeping them!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 4th Oct 17, 10:05 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 7,977 Thanks
    minnie2
    Tomorrow is completely sort one room out day!!! i also need to pick up new massager for my back and pick up medication from drs.so i wont have long as the nursery run pick ups starts at 2.15. If the massager helps with being in the car i may also attempt to drop a few light things off at a charity shop but ill have to see how i feel.

Havent decided which room as yet.....the last bit of my sons room will involve checking that all the pieces are there, to a million puzzles.it has to be done at some point i know
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • firebubble
    • By firebubble 5th Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    firebubble
    Minnie2, it sounds as if you're powering through your house!

Re children's clothes, get them out and have a good look at them...even when washed and put away clean, stains seem to appear when they are stored for years, so that might make the decision easier if you're looking to cull any.

Baby clothes are only sentimental to mothers, not the children who wore them, probably because the babies don't remember. Even if you want to pass them on to be worn by your grandchildren, really no one wants to put their beautiful new baby in old, musty and even stained clothes, so I haven't actually seen any of my friends or family gasp with delight at 30 year old baby clothes, lovingly preserved by Grandma... it's harsh, but in the same way that you probably enjoyed making or choosing these clothes new, your children will want to do the same thing, not have to pretend to be grateful for a box of old stuff. I think it's the same with wedding dresses - women save them, thinking how lovely it will be for their daughters to wear them, but this is actually horribly selfish, because it's imposing your choice on your daughter, with a whole bundle of guilt added in around not offending mum...

Also, re your son's puzzles, there is a simple solution - sit down once a week with him and do a puzzle. If he doesn't ever want to do a puzzle, or if he loses interest before finishing it, you've got your answer and the puzzle that he's not interested in can go!

GreyQueen - I'm wondering about getting rid of my ironing board. I absolutely loathe ironing boards (I'm left handed, so always seem to trap my fingers), and as a result, I have designed my life so that I never iron anything apart from very very rare occasions...even then, I spread it on my bed and iron there. It must be at least 2 years since I got the ironing board out... But I keep thinking, what if I suddenly need to start ironing, and what happens if I don't have the ironing board?!! So it's still sitting in the cupboard...annoying me by falling over every time I get something out.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 5th Oct 17, 9:38 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 7,977 Thanks
    minnie2
    So a physio appointment at 1pm may have scuppered my plans to finish one room totally today .however just started tackling the dreaded bookcase again in son's room.my hubby has abandoned me half way through to have a bath!!!!! There is a big get rid on the floor but the bookcase doesnt seem to look much better.now got to the box of scraps and random puzzle pieces......urghhh
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 5th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 7,977 Thanks
    minnie2
    Firebubble he loves his puzzles but i have just turfed some out.i am very aware of the C word approaching and i know he will get tonnes more so his favourites stay.the books may need another visit but the younger books are now appropriate for my daughter.i think i need to keep the baby clothes a bit longer got to have a hysterectomy soon im on medication in preparation already and i was told i was infertile so my babies are still extra especially precious at min but i may knock it down to one outfit.i was told to keep them by people as i was throwing out at the time but now its been 3yrs i am faltering but i think i need time.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 5th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 7,977 Thanks
    minnie2
    Minnie2, it sounds as if you're powering through your house!

Re children's clothes, get them out and have a good look at them...even when washed and put away clean, stains seem to appear when they are stored for years, so that might make the decision easier if you're looking to cull any.

Baby clothes are only sentimental to mothers, not the children who wore them, probably because the babies don't remember. Even if you want to pass them on to be worn by your grandchildren, really no one wants to put their beautiful new baby in old, musty and even stained clothes, so I haven't actually seen any of my friends or family gasp with delight at 30 year old baby clothes, lovingly preserved by Grandma... it's harsh, but in the same way that you probably enjoyed making or choosing these clothes new, your children will want to do the same thing, not have to pretend to be grateful for a box of old stuff. I think it's the same with wedding dresses - women save them, thinking how lovely it will be for their daughters to wear them, but this is actually horribly selfish, because it's imposing your choice on your daughter, with a whole bundle of guilt added in around not offending mum...

Also, re your son's puzzles, there is a simple solution - sit down once a week with him and do a puzzle. If he doesn't ever want to do a puzzle, or if he loses interest before finishing it, you've got your answer and the puzzle that he's not interested in can go!

GreyQueen - I'm wondering about getting rid of my ironing board. I absolutely loathe ironing boards (I'm left handed, so always seem to trap my fingers), and as a result, I have designed my life so that I never iron anything apart from very very rare occasions...even then, I spread it on my bed and iron there. It must be at least 2 years since I got the ironing board out... But I keep thinking, what if I suddenly need to start ironing, and what happens if I don't have the ironing board?!! So it's still sitting in the cupboard...annoying me by falling over every time I get something out.
    Originally posted by firebubble
    I dont iron.i have a £4 iron from argos i bought years ago that my hubby uses occasionally.i honestly couldnt tell you where the iron is right now.....but if he needs to iron he uses the kitchen work surface or he has also been know to iron it while he is wearing it.if you have a piece of work surface in the kitchen its as good as a board more stable and the plugs are right there too and no risk of iron toppling off
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 27,841 Posts
    • 152,553 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Originally posted by firebubble
    Me too I was asking myself that very question just last week. I don't trip over it, but I certainly don't use it, and if by some rare chance I did have to iron something (erm, I can't remember the last time) I could use the kitchen table, which has a layer of floor vinyl laid over it as a heat protector.

i think i need to keep the baby clothes a bit longer got to have a hysterectomy soon im on medication in preparation already and i was told i was infertile so my babies are still extra especially precious at min but i may knock it down to one outfit.i was told to keep them by people as i was throwing out at the time but now its been 3yrs i am faltering but i think i need time.
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Then please give yourself time, minnie - I know you described yourself as impatient, but why set yourself up for regret if you chuck out too much, especially when there's so many other categories you could be doing?

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 5th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 4,492 Thanks
    Fen1
    My ironing board is permanently out. OH irons one shirt for work each morning rather than doing a pile once a week. OH does not plan or do ahead. Grrrr.

However, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really bother me. I far prefer him doing his own ironing than have me do it ( which I used to : how stupid am I??😠😠😠😠&#128544.

I occasionally, perhaps once a month, iron other stuff. I now wear clothes that are non-iron or minimum iron. It took decades for me to figure that one out. Again, how stupid am I????

Also - confession time - where would I house the ironing board? My closets are full.

And so it continues to decorate the living room...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 11,126 Posts
    • 62,067 Thanks
    kittie
    some unplanned km this morning but good. I am preparing a few things towards christmas presents and wanted to laminate a few bits, charts that I downloaded, I had far and away too many laminating pouches, including A3, much has gone out, bin day today, no point keeping hundreds of pouches, just because I bought them ages ago. While in that cupboard, I unearthed some large bottles of herbals, not needed any more, down the sink and another small but important space is released from stuckness

Re ironing, lol, I remember when the family were at home, the ironing was divided into five piles and everyone did their own, even children after age 11. Just hankies and pillow cases before that age.Our son got very crafty and only ironed the top front of his school shirts if he was wearing a jumper. When there was just husband and me, he did all the ironing. I seldom iron now but keep the board out as I have space, I need the iron for my linens, much of what I make is linen/cotton, wears very nicely and can be worn several times but no doubt needs a press after washing

I am still on the accidental KM route, when things turn up, then I decide. Category never worked for me, would have spread the mess all over, I found that a corner at a time, in a room worked the best
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 5th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 7,867 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    There are also some (impractical) shoes which I love but am unlikely to wear again. On the basis they make me smile when I open their boxes, though, I am going to keep them
    Originally posted by greent

Greent I have a lovely pair of shoes with a matching bag that I wore for my niece's wedding - I don't think I've worn them since, but I love them and they make me smile. Ahem, my niece got married 12 years ago but they're a classic style so I'm keeping them!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    I have a pair of heeled ankle boots which I only wore a few times before I had my major arthritis flare which has left my ankles and feet badly damaged. They are in a box in the top of my wardrobe and they stay because to me they are objects of beauty and I love them.

OH has offered to help me catch up with a few things over the next couple of days so more things should be leaving. So far a suit of his is ready to leave as it is too big for him.
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 5th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    To those swithering, get rid of your irons and boards if you don't use them !!

I think as we go through life we gradually refine so if you currently don't iron on a regular basis then why are you going to suddenly start ? Or rather, why are you going to start so suddenly that you don't have time to go to a 24 hour supermarket and pay £12 for a new one ? You can easily iron on the floor on a towel or as other people have said on a kitchen bunker however if like me you iron once in a blue moon but it is sewing related then it is easier to keep the board for example I have just made curtains for my treatment room so was ironing long bits of cloth yesterday - if i ever needed to do a shirt I can do that on the floor, 2 yard long bits of cloth not so much.

It's easier though to hang a shirt on a hanger to dry buttoned up then put it straight in the wardrobe ready for its next usage. It's sitting for a week in an 'ironing basket' that crushes it.
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Oct 17, 2:35 PM
    • 27,841 Posts
    • 152,553 Thanks
    Karmacat
    To those swithering, get rid of your irons and boards if you don't use them !!
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    I like that I think I can certainly get rid of the board, but I'd keep the iron, in case I *did* want to iron on the table. I do have some things that would look better ironed, and I want to keep them.

I think as we go through life we gradually refine so if you currently don't iron on a regular basis then why are you going to suddenly start ? Or rather, why are you going to start so suddenly that you don't have time to go to a 24 hour supermarket and pay £12 for a new one ?
    I love the first statement! Though to be honest, buying a new ironing board would mean an online shop and a home delivery, as I have no car.

You can easily iron on the floor on a towel or as other people have said on a kitchen bunker however if like me you iron once in a blue moon but it is sewing related then it is easier to keep the board for example I have just made curtains for my treatment room so was ironing long bits of cloth yesterday - if i ever needed to do a shirt I can do that on the floor, 2 yard long bits of cloth not so much.
    Hmmm! I'm just about to inherit a sewing machine from my mum, my sister's bringing it on Saturday. I've never sewed, but as this one has become available, I want to see if I *can*. I can see the board being better for long cloth than the floor, but I could still see ironing curtain length cloth on a table. Or my desk, come to that! Or am I missing something, Daisy? I really don't know, its a foreign area to me.

That's it, the ironing board gets the chop

Save
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,035Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter