Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,759Posts
    • 20,769Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 51
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 2nd Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 6,646 Thanks
    catshark88
    Catshark i donated my wedding dress to my local NICU a lady created 18 outfits out of my dress for babies that were born sleeping.i know its probably too late for yours now but for anyone else have a look online for any local organisations that do it.
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Isn't that a beautiful idea. I did contact a charity that does that, but they had as many as they could cope with. I am so, so glad that that service is available to those that need it. I'm sure your dress made some exquisite outfits.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 2nd Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Now about to tackle my sons bookcase. ....... and a box of random stuff. What would people about 3 framed pictures someone done for them.....they were a wedding present i like them but i dont like having photos or.pictures on my walls
    Last edited by minnie2; 02-10-2017 at 7:59 PM.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 2nd Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 16,710 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Its so soul destroying seeing it all sitting there.i have just done my sons toys too so they are stacking up now.itll be my daughters next.

Still trying to sort through my paperwork too! So much and its all mixed but think i have emptied 3 box files so far its so draining and time consuming.i am looking forward to end result but just worried ive messed up by not strictly doing how she says but until i get to a certain point itll be impossible.my livingroom is usually bare because i dont like stuff my mum is a hoarder so i am the other way.i have two sofa a footstool and a tv on the wall and a dog bed.....and now a mountain of stuff and the dog bed has been relegated to kitchen for now.i will carry on but its just not feeling as great as it was.ive hurt my back so i am not very mobile at the minute to take stuff places and i have a feeling i need to go through the mountain and separate it off into what is going where
    That does not sound as if anything is sparking joy..... don't worry so much! If anything, her book is about trying out different methods and finding one that works for her, and maybe for you.

How old are your kids? Can they do any of their own kondoing? Maybe you can set them limits, for instance that they have ten minutes to pick their five favourite toys, then put the rest away (some straight out of the house, some in the attic if you think they will play with it later).

Stop items coming in, and focus on keeping things moving. For instance: put an empty box for the stuff that you want to donate. As soon as this is full, focus on actually donating it. Do you have a partner or neighbour that can help? Someone from the nursery, playgroup or school your children go to? Ask! Maybe phrase it so, that you have a few good children's clothes your children have outgrown, and if they would know whom to give it to, where to donate it, and how to get it there?

Marie claims the whole process can be done in six months, but these threads have been going strong for almost three years, and several people from the first thread are still here, and still active. If you can only do 15 minutes per week, then that's what it is; it's still better than nothing. There will come a time when items and areas start calling out to you. Do follow their call, as going against it will drain your energy.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7101,62= £ 6309.50 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 2nd Oct 17, 8:49 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 16,710 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Now about to tackle my sons bookcase. ....... and a box of random stuff. What would people about 3 framed pictures someone done for them.....they were a wedding present i like them but i dont like having photos or.pictures on my walls
    They are yours to do with as you please; they served their goal when the transaction of giving-and-receiving was completed. Do you like the frames? Maybe you can pit the pictures in an album, and reuse the frames for some art you really like?
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7101,62= £ 6309.50 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 2nd Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Its so soul destroying seeing it all sitting there.i have just done my sons toys too so they are stacking up now.itll be my daughters next.

Still trying to sort through my paperwork too! So much and its all mixed but think i have emptied 3 box files so far its so draining and time consuming.i am looking forward to end result but just worried ive messed up by not strictly doing how she says but until i get to a certain point itll be impossible.my livingroom is usually bare because i dont like stuff
    Whoa, whoa, whoa lady !!! Don't keep starting on 'new' categories while you are still facing the mountain of stuff to get out the living room and feeling poorly. Wait till you have cleared that before starting a fresh pile to leave the house otherwise you will have beautifully tidy cupboards but will be unable to force the livingroom door open lol?

Little bits will still get you cleared but it will mean you don't go through the process all disheartened and upset by it and probably throw the towel in before the end thinking it doesn't work. Be gentle on yourself, it didn't all arrive overnight so don't expect it to leave the house overnight - I think I'm paraphrasing someone ??

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 2nd Oct 17, 9:50 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 6,646 Thanks
    catshark88
    They have served a fabulous purpose, being a gift given with love. Now, what would you like to do with them? They certainly don't need to remain in their current form. Would you like them in an album, photographed electronically, wrapped in tissue paper and stored, let go, something else?

What would now give you the joy that the giver wanted to pass on to you?
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • fpcat
    • By fpcat 3rd Oct 17, 12:49 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    fpcat
    Finally, finally my set of Encyclopaedia Britannica (all 33 volumes which took up a complete bookcase) have left the house. Picked up this morning, I was so pleased to wave goodbye to them. Then over to dentist where I kondoed over £100 for 2 checkups and hygenist, and picked up an appointment, and an estimate of nearly £240 for 3 fillings
    Then round to CS with a car packed nearly to the roof, and offloaded most stuff into their store, smaller stuff into shop itself. I used about 15 giftaid stickers, and I'm going again Friday. I'm going up to stare at all the space in my attic tomorrow, after I've been out to rectify the space in my fridge and breadbin. It's just been decluttering this time, but I can now do the Kondo method, with less stuff and more space. Isn't it great seeing walls and floors again as stuff goes away. Don't get discouraged folks, it may take a time, but it does work.
    • loocyloo
    • By loocyloo 3rd Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    loocyloo
    I've been away, kondoing my appendix!

It turned out that the indigestion wasn't indigestion, but a nasty appendix! After starting to think I would never get better, I'm finally round the corner and on the way back.

I seem to accumulated a huge amount of stuff that will need 'releasing' soon, plus clutter has been breeding everywhere I turn! I'm longing to have a good sort, but I'm not quite able yet. Having to be satisfied with writing lists of what I'm going to do!

I also seemed to kondo my brain for a while and couldn't remember any logins or anything but have rectified that now.

X
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 3rd Oct 17, 8:50 AM
    • 996 Posts
    • 16,710 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Quick kondo: I was given a houseplant last month. I said 'ooh, how lovely, thank you very much' and thought 'who can I donate it to?'. My house is too dark for plants to survive; I have some very realistic fake plants in the windowsill, and am happy with them. Now, last night, husband went to a friend who had just moved house, and I gave the plant to him to pass on, with the instruction to tell them that it's a Dutch tradition to give a new plant to a couple that have just moved house Everybody happy!
    • wort
    • By wort 3rd Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 7,117 Thanks
    wort
    Minnie2, I don't know if you didn't see my earlier comment about ringing the charity shops, but they come to your house and pick up , it can be left in bags outside the day they are coming they'll tell you when. They take clothes and brick a brac, so you could send the pictures and books.
    I found this a really easy way as I don't have a car.
    Don't think you need to wait till you've finished just ring when there is a enough there to be annoying to you.
    British heart foundation gave me card with a gift aid number when they picked up too.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 3rd Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 4,797 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Minnie2 we also use our local free cycle, not for clothes but for other bits and pieces , its a good way of getting rid of stuff that otherwise would just end up at the tip (its surprising what other people want!)
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 3rd Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 9,463 Thanks
    tibawo
    I seem to be Kding more deodorant than usual.. i fund the culprit happily spraying herself now that she is 'growing up.' I did ask if she wanted to get some of her own. Apparently not as she likes using mine!

I have not done much lately as i just have not had the time. I think this is what I like about this method. There are no time scales, no judging and nobody to make me feel guilty if I am not keeping up with the Jones.
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    My ten pound weekly challenge - weeks completed 3/52 missed target 1
    • firebubble
    • By firebubble 3rd Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    firebubble
    Minnie2 - to add to what others have said, don't push yourself too hard, slow and steady will get you there in the end!

MK says not to worry about other people's stuff, so leave the toys for now (a really good time to declutter toys is in early December, when you can explain to children that as they are about to get a whole load of new ones, maybe they'd like to think about what they don't need, and this can be donated to children who aren't as lucky...you might be surprised how much they are happy to part with).

Regarding pens, sit down with them, check they work and throw out any that have dried up, leak or are otherwise horrible. Then think about the sort of pen you actually like to use - pick those out. The rest of them can go. Add a bundle to every charity shop bag - shop assistants use pens, and people tend to 'borrow' them so they will get through a lot.

It's not MK (it comes from Flylady), but one of her bits of advice is not to focus on what's not been done or is a mess, but to look at what you have done - focus on the clear spots/drawers/rooms and aim to add another little space somewhere to them, rather than beat yourself up about not doing enough. This might be a better strategy for you.

Also bear in mind that in Japan, people typically live in tiny flats rather than houses, and the limited number of rooms make it easier to collect together each category. If you have a house, just climbing up and down the stairs, let alone going through lofts and garages to pull everything together can make more of a mess which quickly becomes really overwhelming. I think it would still work to collect together a whole category per room (say, books), sort through and deal with those, and then when you're looking at another room, when you come across books, you can collect them together, sift through, and then add what's left to the other books you have, and then go through the combined pile. That way you'll gradually pull together the categories in a way that is manageable.
    • fpcat
    • By fpcat 3rd Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    fpcat
    I took part used pens to the charity shop and the manager was delighted. She had been picking up biros from the local bank when hers was liberated by customers. She was also very happy to see the sticky notes and the notebooks I had taken.. I'll take more pens in a few weeks. A guide group has asked for craft material so they are getting the pencils and coloured paper and other bits. It's surprising what the CS can take, I'm taking in paperclips and drawing pins on Friday. I think I'll ask if she needs anything I may have, it's shocking what I'm finding in that attic.
    • Upsy Staffordshire
    • By Upsy Staffordshire 4th Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Upsy Staffordshire
    I completed my Kondoing ages ago, possibly 2 years ago now, after seeing someone mention it on here and getting completely sucked into it! I don't think I ever got around to posting on here at the time, but I found reading all about the method on this forum so useful and it was what really convinced me to make a start.

I found it so addictive when I got going and I now find it so much easier to get rid of things without the guilt I used to feel. I can't begin to imagine the amount of things I threw out! It's made our lives so much easier - we have so much more space and because we live in such a small house, it's made living here so much more enjoyable.

We are moving to a new house very soon and I can't tell you how much easier it is to move when you have kondoed! Going through everything in the loft and garage would have been a huge job. We have emptied the loft and I've only had to take a couple of bags of things to the charity shop - everything else in the house will be packed up to take, without having to go through everything trying to decide what to do with it.

It can be difficult at times, but honestly, it's so worth it. Looking forward to going back through the thread now and seeing how everyone's getting on! Nice to see some familiar names on here too
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 4th Oct 17, 11:59 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 4,107 Thanks
    Picklepot
    Upsy staffordshire
    I love seeing posts like yours! I am very much a stop start KM er as i get very sentimental over certain groups of items ( childrens school books atm ) and progress stalls.I drive myself mad with indecision sometimes.i think even when im done it will always need to be kept on top of.
    Good to hear how much of a difference its made to you.
    • Upsy Staffordshire
    • By Upsy Staffordshire 4th Oct 17, 1:00 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Upsy Staffordshire
    Upsy staffordshire
    I love seeing posts like yours! I am very much a stop start KM er as i get very sentimental over certain groups of items ( childrens school books atm ) and progress stalls.I drive myself mad with indecision sometimes.i think even when im done it will always need to be kept on top of.
    Good to hear how much of a difference its made to you.
    Originally posted by Picklepot
    I can imagine it must be so difficult when you have children's items to go through. My Mum and Dad were saying just the other day that they've got my school books, artwork etc in the loft still. I don't think they can part with it.

There were several things I wasn't sure I should get rid of, so I kept them at the time, but then a while later I realised that they really didn't spark joy, so I got rid. I remember doing this with some dresses that I'd had for a few years and didn't love anymore, but I though I should keep them just in case I needed a dress. I bought a couple of new maxi dresses I really loved and took all the others to the charity shop.

I think this is the main reason I kept hold of many things - the fear of needing them in the future.
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 4th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    A big thank you everyone!!!!! Theres been a few replies so hoping i have thanked you all.sorry for late reply but i had assessment on my back yesterday so had a bad day.

Siebrie

I am very impatient i want things done there and then such a fault of mine.it then plays on my mind.we bought this bungalow to do up but it had hidden problems so the work is still not done then we were threatened with redundancy so havent done the extension either.but reading her book has made me think differently at the min about the house which is good.i think as well i can only get things dones when kids arent here so i go at it all guns blazing when they are at nannys for an hour!! And i never get to tody up or finish an area.

Kids are 3 and 17months so impossible.my son did help do his toys and he was very good about it.i always explain everything very clearly etc so he understands so he did make decisions.so proud of him :-) the girl is currently sharing her room with my sister who is living with us so that rooms junk is all my sisters except a chair i love but dont have room for that is going to my mums.

I have put stuff in bags in car for certain places but ive hurt my back so havent managed delivery yet. I will look into charity collection (thank you wort and whiteguineapig )

I have donated some to nursery but they were having a clear out and so no toys but did donate coats and wellies.

I have made a decision on pics catshark and siebrie so ive removed them from their frames and they are now in my photo box for now.the frames were huge so much more space.

Daisy - started tackling the mound this morning before hubby went to work late but he wasn't much help his stuffed stayed my stuff he said to go.but the bin is a bit fuller!!

Firebubble i have done the toys he was fabulous and now has space his room is much easier to clean!! & maintain space.just his bookcase to go.we started the other day but i gave up but i am going to tackled the already declutter junk to disperse first.

Thank you about the pens they are in my car to go hadnt thought about charity shops needing them not sure one will want a hundred so many need to visit a few.i have to go to pharmacy again for more medication i know they are always looking for a pen so may give a few there.

Thanks again everyone!!
    Last edited by minnie2; 04-10-2017 at 1:30 PM.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 4th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 6,646 Thanks
    catshark88
    Minnie, you are doing AWESOMELY well!
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 4th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    minnie2
    Thank you catshark. It was such an emotional journey the first session but it is muh easier now think i tried to do too much and alot of my emotional connections have gone and i am not a hoarder anyway i always throw out but i do have emotional attachments to things.but ive taken pictures of these things and getting rid so will have digital memory instead.

Do have a bag of babies first outfits not sure what to do with them as i am keeping them for children to decide.but i am in two mindswith those now too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,362Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter