Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,580Posts
    • 19,562Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 50
    • wort
    • By wort 1st Oct 17, 11:54 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 6,460 Thanks
    wort
    Minnie2 some charity shops will collect. I have phoned scope ,in the past but recently used British heart foundation. They tell you when they are in your area and you leave the bags out for them.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 2nd Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 4,509 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Minnie2 you can also use the bags that come through the door for clothing donation , we seem to get loads , nearly one each week
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 2nd Oct 17, 7:48 AM
    • 11,270 Posts
    • 217,029 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Minnie2 you can also use the bags that come through the door for clothing donation , we seem to get loads , nearly one each week
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    However, if you want to maximise the value to the charity, it would be better to get the things straight into their hands.

Many of these organisations have been critisised for donating as little as 5 % of the value to the charity whose name they are licensed to use and the bulk is sold overseas as a commercial proposition.

Also, if you or hubby are tax payers, you can register for Gift Aid and then an additonal 25% of the eventual sale price can be claimed by the charity from the tax man
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 02-10-2017 at 8:08 AM. Reason: spelling
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 2nd Oct 17, 8:54 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    So i have been attempting the system but finding it hard to gather everything together at one time to sort due to having two under 3yr olds.i have managed to find 111 pens (biros) so far and i do not collect pens!!!! I do have a question though .....i have managed to get rid of lots of stuff however as a lot of it is too good just to throw away have i messed up by doing too much at once? I feel like its going to take me forever now to offload to different places the mountain of stuff that is taking up my usually very empty living room!!! But when ive had the opportunity when the kids have popped to grandparents for the odd hour ive just cracked on.but i dont want the stuff to migrate back into the house.i did a tip run yesterday when my sister popped round.i did gift some radley stuff to her although she wanted more she tried to take items i wanted to keep!! I just feel a bit overwhelmed with the stuff i have to stare at all day
    Originally posted by minnie2
    I think that's the only way to do it Minnie, every single time you leave the house try to take stuff with you, that way the mountain will go down eventually. Then once it's gone you have an empty living room again and space where these items originally were - result. And as you do each category or drawer or cupboard, you will gain a bit more space.

It's easy to get 'stuck' in the mindset of trying to get every item to its 'perfect' place rather than 'waste' good stuff but the drawback to that is as you have discovered the mountain has to sit looking at you till you feel disheartened. Occasionally it's ok to literally just get rid of it and feel the benefit - after all, if you hadn't gathered it all together it would still be sitting in various parts of your house not bring used. So maybe the sign outside the house saying free or please take will be helpful? Or ask someone to keep an eye on the wee ones (hopefully at their house or anywhere outside yours ie swimming, pictures etc) and give you maybe 3 hours to distribute it as you would prefer. That might suit you better than a bit here and there and someone knows exactly what they are being asked to do ?

Stick at it, it will be worth it

Daisy
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 2nd Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Oh and re your 111 pens (well done BTW, that's impressive !) Don't try to store them all and use them all, take gq's idea and others on here - rubber band or store most away, leave out the most used couple and use them till they are finished - otherwise you will have 111 around for the rest of your life lol. Such a simple idea that has helped me with a few things.

Dxx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 27,841 Posts
    • 152,570 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Took a shopping trolley and a binbag of stuff to the cs (fabrics like tablecloths) a nice stainless steel steamer, all sorts of things, but KM is going into reverse this week a new and new-to-me mattress has already come in, for my spare bed, so the old one has to go on freecycle (but I can't even photo it at the moment, there's stuff on there ) and a *lot* of stuff and paperwork is arriving on Saturday, courtesy of inheritance and inheritance work (scanning photos that will eventually be shared with my bro and sister, for example). One unexpected acquisition is the standard lamp my mother had for ages - neither of the others wanted it, but I love the design, its a very simple wooden imitation of a sort of industrial design. Beautiful. And the lighting in my bedroom leaves something to be desired, so this will help.

In the meantime ... there's a lot to do! Wish me luck, I'm going in ...

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 2nd Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 21,415 Thanks
    MMF007
    Ha . Have found the alien again. It has taken over my mum. I arrived yesterday to find 5 carrier bags of clothes ready to go to CS! Weather is rubbish, rain and wind, so may help find some more, if allowed
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 2nd Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 5,946 Thanks
    catshark88
    Another bag to the CS this morning, including my wedding dress. i should have let it go years ago, but I somehow thought I ought to want to keep it? Anyhoo, ''tis gone.

I am rather hoist with my own petard though re my Mother. I've been (gently) on at her to clear out a few things she really doesn't want, so that she can get to and see the ones that do matter to her. She is now doing a big sort out, but in the process, is offering things to me. I'm immune to Justin and his friends and the things I'm considering, pass the "spark joy" test, but oh, they're giving my minimalistic tendencies a hard time!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 2nd Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 3,953 Thanks
    Picklepot
    Hi catshark88

If your mum is offering stuff to you could you say " mm im not sure i will use it/need it are you ok with me me donating it on if i dont?" This is the way ive finally dealt with my family who cannot make decisions about things so kept passing them to me - could work if you want her to clear stuff albeit a bit of a hassle for you
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 2nd Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 5,946 Thanks
    catshark88
    I may well try that Picklepot! It's mainly pieces of china, which have been passed through the family, are lovely, I would really like them, but they take up space! I do HAVE the space, im just a bit addicted to seeing lots of space around stuff on my shelves. There is a Japanese word "Ma" (no idea of spelling), which describes the space around things in art, flower arranging etc. I'm very fond of Ma, but my Ma is filling mine up!!

Isn't it interesting how contagious this tidying is? We have husbands, parents and kids all following us into it.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 2nd Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    minnie2
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    I havent got to the clothes yet ive got that joy to come
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 2nd Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    minnie2
    Thank you Daisy !! I know i do not collect pens i have no attachment to pens what so ever!!! I was shocked.and that is so far. The last 3 i just found sitting in the car.its so hard finding the time to gather everything together at once.i have kept some of the blue ones i like using as i am a lefty.the rest i have bagged and are in the car to give away.my sister took a few.

Its so soul destroying seeing it all sitting there.i have just done my sons toys too so they are stacking up now.itll be my daughters next.

Still trying to sort through my paperwork too! So much and its all mixed but think i have emptied 3 box files so far its so draining and time consuming.i am looking forward to end result but just worried ive messed up by not strictly doing how she says but until i get to a certain point itll be impossible.my livingroom is usually bare because i dont like stuff my mum is a hoarder so i am the other way.i have two sofa a footstool and a tv on the wall and a dog bed.....and now a mountain of stuff and the dog bed has been relegated to kitchen for now.i will carry on but its just not feeling as great as it was.ive hurt my back so i am not very mobile at the minute to take stuff places and i have a feeling i need to go through the mountain and separate it off into what is going where
    Last edited by minnie2; 02-10-2017 at 2:24 PM.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 2nd Oct 17, 2:36 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    minnie2
    I have just found 4 more pens in a bag while looking for a charger which i still havent found :-(
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 2nd Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 25,987 Thanks
    short_bird
    Minnie2, may I offer some advice?

Maybe collecting every item of one type in one place might not be the best way for you to work? If you're getting annoyed at the stuff that needs sorting intruding on your preferred way of living, could you find space behind closed doors for the things you've already found so they aren't irritating you by being on show?

It's great to have the time, space and health to do it exactly as it says in the book, but if you need to adapt KM to a way that suits you, then do that!
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 2nd Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    minnie2
    Catshark i donated my wedding dress to my local NICU a lady created 18 outfits out of my dress for babies that were born sleeping.i know its probably too late for yours now but for anyone else have a look online for any local organisations that do it.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 2nd Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 11,270 Posts
    • 217,029 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Oh and re your 111 pens (well done BTW, that's impressive !) Don't try to store them all and use them all, take gq's idea and others on here - rubber band or store most away, leave out the most used couple and use them till they are finished - otherwise you will have 111 around for the rest of your life lol. Such a simple idea that has helped me with a few things.

Dxx
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    I had a fist-size bundle of part-used pencils, all three-quarters or shorter, mostly from Mum & Dad's (she's a bit of a hoarder but only of useful things, not knick-knacks). Trouble is, even useful things in silly quantities, become clutter.

Gobsmackingly, I am now down to only a couple of pencils from the original bundle, may have to search out some more.

Re pens, biros don't normally last more than a few years in storage, so if you have insane quantities, check if they all work now and think if you can reasonably use them up before they'll likely die in storage.

I'm just flitting in between work and an appointment and then running out again, keep up the good works, folks. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• minnie2
    • By minnie2 2nd Oct 17, 3:45 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    minnie2
    Thank you short bird.i really want to do it as she says and i can see the benefits of her way but im struggling.i do feel so much better for the sorting and i do want to carry on but im worried i am not going to get there if i dont do it right but maybe i do need to accept its just not possible at minute.i dont have any closed doors to put it behind i have a conservatory of sorts conservatory makes it sound better than it is though because its awful its on the back of the house but you have to walk outside to access it that is our only space but thats got our dining table and chairs in from previous house and the rest of the space is used for drying clothes.i think im going to ask a friend for some help but ive asked her a lot recently.but i know she would be annoyed if i didn't go to her.

Ive just folded a pair of jeans her way and they stand however as i have a mountain to put away i dont think i have time tonight to start doing it to all of them.but the socks ive folded i will place in their drawers like it
    Last edited by minnie2; 02-10-2017 at 3:48 PM.
    • elona
    • By elona 2nd Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 11,194 Posts
    • 59,324 Thanks
    elona
    I have just had someone round this morning to put up a shelving system for the integral garage. He will also put a new bolt and handle on the upstairs bathroom door next week and then paint the bathroom for me.

I am just trying to get rid of a lot of cardboard boxes as recycling is collected tomorrow and looking though all the grubble ( mix of grot and rubbish etc). So far I am putting things on the new shelves so they are off the floor and all cleaning materials, toiletries, toilet rolls etc are all together and easier to find and get at.

Decided rusty cans of polish , fly spray etc. can go, broken stuff can go, car cleaning materials can be kept together. I found a couple of tubs of dishwasher cleaner so took one of them to the kitchen to use later.

Getting a bit tired now so going to sit down with a cup of tea and watch telly then go and sort out a bit more in the advert breaks and pace myself.

DD still has her stepper exercise machine in there but as her BF is thinking of turning their shed into a mini gym maybe I can absentmindedly mention the machine when he is here and he will think it is his idea to take it
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 2nd Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 7,869 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    3 books went to charity yesterday (there were 5 but OH changed his mind about 2 just as we were leaving ).

Bought a new anorakky jacket thing to replace one 9 years old which is now thin and faded, a new purse to replace one which is 12 years old twice mended and now beyond mending and a pair of shoes desperately needed.

Have been thinking about boots as have 3 pairs of brown and one pair of black - the black pair are looking slightly scruffy now but at 15 years old I think they're allowed to. Have worked out that most of the clothes I wear with black boots can be worn with brown for the next few years to use up the brown pairs and will give the black pair a clean to see if I can get away with them for the couple of outfits which need black boots.

Dolls and clothes have been sorted and washed (keeping them as my DN likes to play with them when visiting) and several moth eaten items have been burned.

Planning some more clearing of paperwork but have a couple of busy days coming up so will have to wait until the end of the week.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 2nd Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 11,128 Posts
    • 62,077 Thanks
    kittie
    I didn`t have any kondo to do indoors yesterday and for some wierd reason it was dragging my spirits down, not being busy. Too grim for the allotment or for a cycle ride, so I stayed in. I haven`t not been busy all the time since husband died and as soon as I wasn`t busy, I kind of crashed. Very strange, I did pull myself together by spinning and listening to middlemarch and some lively jazz cds but it kind of re-inforced what I am aiming at and that is to get into another property and to make that a home/nest for myself, not to be adapting what I have now but starting afresh

I did some clearing on the allotment today and some in the garden here, the stuff here was MK and I have been to the tip, so it has been a satisfying day, gradually I am making time to read and to slow down for winter. I am reading a wonderful book, taking much on board, trying to remain on the outside and just letting thoughts come and then they go. `the things you can see only when you slow down` Haemin Sunim

I think it is the winter process, when the sap slows down
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,840Posts Today

9,647Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• This is a good brief summary of the evidence I have to the lords on the problems with our student finance system... https://t.co/LQqggZMlgH

• Follow Martin