Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,703Posts
    • 20,357Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 36
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 6,583 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    The post about MK by Joshua Becker did seem overly critical to me.

I remember a while ago reading a spat between a man who was a minimalist and Josh and Ryan from the Minimalists. Oh, I found it. I suppose it is easy to take things the wrong way online sometimes.

The Minimalists' First Podcast; Hip Diggs' Response - Hip Diggs
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Sep 17, 8:59 AM
    • 11,297 Posts
    • 63,886 Thanks
    kittie
    I needed to move with the time wrt child stuff anyway, I kept all the asterix, Enid Blyton etc but all the many easier books are out too, brilliant, condition, dr seuss etc and all are tagged with my gift aid details. I had to unearth my very big trolley, I cannot be doing another wobbly bag lady event, too many kerbs and that one is overfull now. Should make another few bob for them and I have a nice large empty space plus 4 empty and attractive lakeland woven- looking plastic storage boxes with lids

Having a nespresso doubler and later will have to ground myself, all this kondo is energising
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 15th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 8,972 Thanks
    grunnie
    Charly 27 thinking about you. I hope you find strength and peace with your dad. Life and what it throws at us put all this tidying into perspective. hugs
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 15th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 976 Posts
    • 16,472 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Hugs to you, Charly27.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6849,99= £ 6071.651 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 15th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 976 Posts
    • 16,472 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Yesterday at work I threw out 3 highsided bamboo (?) containers that came with the croissants (each container could hold 2 Danish) we had for a coffee meeting. I wondered fleetingly if I could use them at home, but then discarded them. Last night at home I opened the pencil and felttip drawer and suddenly realised how I could have used the containers. Too late.....
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6849,99= £ 6071.651 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,282 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Charly, so sorry to hear your news, I'm glad you managed to get there and you can all manage to stay, for your dad's sake and to support one another. Thinking of you.
    Retired August 2016
    • DianaMattos
    • By DianaMattos 15th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    DianaMattos
    Charly27 - thinking of you xx
    • Sj62
    • By Sj62 15th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    Sj62
    I am giving my mother-in-law a couple of food items we don't want and know she can use them.

I have three tubes of disgusting toothpaste, baking soda type and I keep thinking they must have some other type of use. I tried cleaning the sink with one tube, but it didn't work!
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Hi Wednesday. Have you tried cleaning the grout with this and an old toothbrush? And don't use a lot as it'll foam rather than scrub ...

Good luck!
    • Sj62
    • By Sj62 15th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    Sj62
    Sorry to hear what you're going through Charly but glad that you're facing it with determination and with family around you.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 15th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 4,556 Thanks
    Fen1
    I've just read Josh's dissing of MK. Blimey, that man is up his own Arris!
    He has some valuable things to say, but most of that article was self-promotion.

A lot of us on here have tried to declutter over the years ( wave from ChezFen hoard). We've tried the ' does this give purpose' ethos, which is why we have SABLES and sheds full of 'projects'. We try to make lovely things for the people we love, or save junk from landfill to make useful objects.
    For me, the "purpose" question only makes me feel worse about myself. I don't know what my purpose is in life. I'm a depressive, so asking me to qualify and evaluate my life and my actions is threatening, rude and presumptuous.

"Does this spark joy?" works better for me because it gives me the space to make positive choices. "Purpose" has connotations of obligation, pressure and potential failure.

Having the space to have happy things around me ( and everything else that follows) is a damnsite better than being berated by Mr. Competitive Saintly Show-Off.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Sep 17, 1:31 PM
    • 11,297 Posts
    • 63,886 Thanks
    kittie
    I have offloaded to the cs this morning, they are so grateful for my things, makes me try harder

Not sure what to do now, I may find something quiet ie sitting down, like the dvds and cds and also the various fibres in boxes, I`ll just keep the wool ones for felting, they were from mixed bags when I bought them but I have, recently, been buying my own blends which skips a step of work for me

Karma is working again, just heard that I am due a tax rebate. I haven`t spent any cash for two weeks apart from parking for cs, its amazing how I can save now I have an objective
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 4,018 Posts
    • 32,825 Thanks
    Floss
    Kittie we have a family Asterix collection dating back to when they were first published and bought for my 2 older brothers & me, then younger brother - from the very first through to "* and the Class Act"... I currently have custody because I have the bigger loft to store them!

Am still KM-ing... slowly reviewing my clothes - each time I go into the wardrobe or drawers something else comes out for the CS. However my craft room needs addressing - I have discovered the delights of yarn-cakes and have recently increased my yarn stash by about 3 fold and as well as holding a heap of stock for finishing prior to Etsy-ing, I can hardly get in there!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 15th Sep 17, 3:35 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 22,674 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh Charly, so sorry you and your family are having such a difficult time. Your dad knows how much you care and the hospice will look after him to the end. (((((0))))

Today I spent my birthday money in advance! I have bought a portable dvd with a remote control. The sole purpose is so I can do Tai Chi and follow my fitness dvds in the kitchen in the evenings while DH can be left in peace in the living room. Our house has only 2 rooms downstairs so it is a bit tricky to not get in each other's way! but I am slowly losing weight, being more active etc and now is the time to really ramp up the effort and I am realy excited by my purchase
    We were given a portable dvd last year and I did use it, in fact that's what gave me the idea, but it was faulty and there was no remote (I often follow the exercise routines but do more repetitions, so I want to pause the dvd while i do more, then play the next set, and so on, iyswim)
    I am anticipating double joy, the usefulness of the gadget and the better fitness and shape
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 15th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 40,773 Thanks
    maryb
    Fen, I haven't read all the comments on that blog yet but you have completely nailed the sense of doom I felt when he said we should ask whether something helps us to fulfil our purpose in life. That's a very loaded question for a woman of my generation and Catholic upbringing. It conjures up visions of sacrificial devotion yada yada. It makes me feel I should be asking does this help me be the woman I "should" be.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 15th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 40,773 Thanks
    maryb
    Btw buying stuff to help me be the woman I should be is how I ended up with quite a bit of clutter. And I instinctively bristle at the idea of any man lecturing me on my purpose in life
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • hebwood
    • By hebwood 15th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 2,012 Thanks
    hebwood
    Charly - hugs and look after yourself.
    H
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 15th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 20,696 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    It's interesting that Becker perceives (on what basis it's not clear) that asking the 'spark joy' question will lead to people buying more possessions.

I can't think of a single poster on this thread (and the archive) who has not said that they now buy much less and that they are more mindful about what they buy. When you realise with horror just how much you've collected over the years, it doesn't make you want to buy more! I don't consider myself a minimalist, I never will be - but I am so happy to be free of the burden of clutter, and that simple 'does it spark joy' question has had an effect that nothing else has achieved.

Edited to add: Maryb, you are spot on! All the people I thought I'd become if I just had the right book/kit/clothes ...
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 4,843 Posts
    • 69,802 Thanks
    VJsmum
    So we've had a bit of a disaster.

Our soil and vent (drain) pipe from both bathrooms (main and en suite) has a major blockage. Due to an extension the pipe is inside the house - it is in the office, and was in boxing (we've had to break it out).

Not many positives to the situation but our filing cabinet (OH got it for his 21st birthday - I know, weird right?) which is horrible is now even worse, all rusty on the bottom cos the water came in. OH has finally said it can go...

It is a 4 drawer filing cabinet, i think it can easily go down to 2 and be a rather more attractive thing than the grey metal one. So some kondoing of drawers, paperwork, yet more photos etc can be done in the next week or so.

Tomorrow we kondo DS to university I am a bit sad, cos i will miss him terribly. But it is the right thing for him - it will do him the world of good and he is really excited about it. On the upside, quite a lot of stuff is going with him...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Sj62
    • By Sj62 15th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    Sj62
    Btw buying stuff to help me be the woman I should be is how I ended up with quite a bit of clutter. And I instinctively bristle at the idea of any man lecturing me on my purpose in life
    Originally posted by maryb
    Definitely! I recognise that feeling very well.
    • elona
    • By elona 15th Sep 17, 5:44 PM
    • 11,249 Posts
    • 59,948 Thanks
    elona
    charly

Thinking of you and your family.

I got someone to help me unpack the trundle bed but the screws that it needed were missing so I had to e mail the seller and arrange for them to be posted to me.

Apart from kondoing nearly a stone I have not got much sorted out.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,128Posts Today

9,135Users online

Martin's Twitter