Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,526Posts
    • 19,104Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 35
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 14th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 987 Posts
    • 4,376 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    A bin liner full of clothes and shoes, is by the front door, waiting to go to the recycling bin tomorrow.

When we move house, I'm going to try to not have a wardrobe, but keep all my clothes in my chest of drawers (2 big, 2 small drawers). I might need a plastic storage box for my "other season" stuff, but I'm not sure if that's cheating....
    Originally posted by catshark88
    I thought I was the only one without a wardrobe but this is exactly what i have
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Sep 17, 7:22 PM
    • 11,043 Posts
    • 60,839 Thanks
    kittie
    I just had a volume vision, just the sheer volume of things that I took to cs yesterday and today. Just today, the trolley was so heavy that I had to empty 2/3 into the boot before I could lift it into the front. It was literally full to the top again and in my mind that was two heavy boxes carried from here and to a new house. Seeing it all as boxes is making it easier. I cannot see me getting as much together again, so quickly. The craft books that remain seem to be about things that I like making

Oh yes, dd wants my panny breadmaker and my lock n locks. I am delighted. I still have a bm but did buy a mini, which suits me better

I am trying to kondo candles and nightlights at the moment, by using them, not getting rid
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 14th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 4,214 Thanks
    Fen1
    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/mottisfont/features/kaffe-fassett-exhibition-at-mottisfont

For Kaffe Fassett fans, go to Mottisfont NT pronto!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 215,454 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    There's a wee online spat-ette in the minimalism-sphere; Joshua Becker of becomingminimalist has dissed MK and his commentators ain't happy about it, in most cases. Interesting thread.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• catshark88
    • By catshark88 14th Sep 17, 9:17 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 5,155 Thanks
    catshark88
    There's a wee online spat-ette in the minimalism-sphere; Joshua Becker of becomingminimalist has dissed MK and his commentators ain't happy about it, in most cases. Interesting thread.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Thank you for the heads up!

The article seems a bit churlish though. Just because we can't be Ghandi, doesn't mean we can't be nice to people.

If MK, or the people off CBS Hoarders, or someone on here can help inspire people to live in a way that makes them feel a bit happier, that seems a win to me.

MK has done so well because she's accessible. we might not believe we can change the world, but we can rationalise our knicker drawer. Maybe one of us will then have time to change the world, but there'll be a lot more of us feeling we've achieved something 'cos we have less pants.

Sorry to be so wordy, I've decluttered 2 glasses of red... ;-)
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 14th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,736 Thanks
    kboss2010
    They melt the floor down!! Goodness!! What a job that would be...

I'm having another stab at my wardrobe today, sorting through scarves that I've long kept but not worn. In the washing machine now before going in the CS bag. Added a couple of pairs of shoes, both bought, funnily enough, because 'look, they come in a 9!!!' and I've hardly worn one pair and never worn the other. I guess thats one of those occasions where you say 'thank you' to the shoes for giving me that thrill when I saw them in the shop that just because I have big feet, doesn't mean I have to wear ugly shoes

Also gone are a pair of red jeans from my MIL who seems to declutter her wardrobe to me, a dress that is too see through but too tight to wear a cami or something underneath and another dress that really doesn't suit. Feeling good!!

Just a quick question, I get 'Justin' and 'Andy' but 'Rowan' is confusing me...
    Originally posted by DianaMattos
    Is Rowan not a knitting pattern/wool company? I seem to recall it from my Gran's knitting days?
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Sj62
    • By Sj62 14th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Sj62
    Have filled another CS giant bag from decluttering the kitchen. Strangely enough I had the kitchen ripped out (retiring, plastering, the lot) and declutter end when I boxed it up. Declutter end again while unpacking and can't believe that there's still stuff that can go. Does anyone else notice that the precious/useful/pretty stuff at the first declutter doesn't strike the same emotional chord the second or third time round? Maybe it's MK, maybe not but its such a relief to let things go and I'm thankful for it.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    • 11,043 Posts
    • 60,839 Thanks
    kittie
    yes SJ, the emotion was highest doing the first KM round, especially the photos. Reminds me that I still have one large really useful box tucked away. Impossible to fully empty but thanks for making me think about it, I`ll aim today, to try and reduce it to a smaller box. The original black and white photos from the 1930s are the hardest but I have to remind myself that they are all now copied onto cds and memory sticks and would my children want them? no. So I have talked myself into doing what needs to be done

Craft room stuff again today, maybe, just a little bit, keeping the wool fibre for needle felting and I want to learn to make felt bags in the future so don`t think I`ll be throwing the fibre out, I almost did last night but decided to do some grounding relaxation instead

My cds and dvds need to be culled, they are all out of boxes and in neat black large cases but I think I will try and reduce the number of cases. I hardly ever open them these days. One case at a time and the empty case will be good for cs

Looks as though I have a KM setup for today, good, I needed a focus. Maybe not really MK but who cares, the result is what matters
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Sep 17, 7:20 AM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 68,125 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I find Joshua a little bit holier-than-thou. Tho I do like his "weekend reads".

I think if it works then that's the one for you. MK works for me...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Charly27
    • By Charly27 15th Sep 17, 7:30 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    Charly27
    At the homestead in N. Wales as my lovely l Dad had a massive seizure this time last week. He was sedated for 24 hours and they scanned his brain. He now has at least 7 tumours in his head and the swelling caused the seizure. Luckily he could still talk but at times it's not our Dad. He's had a lot of challenges since then but we are waiting for a hospice bed. Both my sisters are here and we'll stay with my Mum and Dad till the end.
    Drink the coffee, pick the flowers, kiss and hug, sleep in the best sheets, use the best cutlery and crockery, notice the rainbows �� and eat the cake my lovelies. Love to you all x
    Last edited by Charly27; 15-09-2017 at 7:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    17 projects in 2017 in memory of Soulie 2/17
    Reading challenge 11 /40

Keep calm and Kondo
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    • 3,819 Posts
    • 30,340 Thanks
    Floss
    Charly "Thanks" seems such an inappropriate gesture right now...my mum had a similar route to diagnosis of her brain cancer and benefited greatly from fantastic hospice care. PM me if you need to let off steam to a faceless shoulder.

Love to you & your family
    Floss xx
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 15th Sep 17, 7:41 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 19,707 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Big hugs to you Charley, and look after yourself during this time. You are so right though - notice the rainbows. Take care xx
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 15th Sep 17, 7:43 AM
    • 3,077 Posts
    • 27,007 Thanks
    maddiemay
    so sorry to read your post Charly, best wishes to you and your family and of course hugs too. xxx
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Sep 17, 7:57 AM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 62,656 Thanks
    greent
    Big hugs to you, charly xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1515/2017 items
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Sep 17, 8:01 AM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 62,656 Thanks
    greent
    I read Josh Becker's post when it only had a handful of comments on - it's certainly had a lot added since then! https://www.becomingminimalist.com/does-it-spark-joy-is-the-wrong-decluttering-question/
    I did think when I read it that it had a slight touch of 'sour grapes' about it and some points felt unnecessary - which I thought was a shame. Possibly because 'to kondo' has become a verb in some people's language? (in the same way as 'to Google, but obviously on a much smaller scale! )
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1515/2017 items
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 68,125 Thanks
    VJsmum
    So sorry to read that, Charley. Make the most of every day
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Sep 17, 8:14 AM
    • 11,043 Posts
    • 60,839 Thanks
    kittie
    Charley, abig hug from me, I went through similar with my sister less than a year ago. Would it help to say that we spoke very frankly and she said absolutely that she had no fear of the end and she smiled at me when she spoke

All the more reason to keep taking all the good stuff to the hospice shop and I have already filled the trolley, unbelievable, I was not expecting it today but the grandchildren and family toys were next to get the kondo, on the way to the photos which I am leaving for today. I am keeping a very few easy family games but the big games like quoits and mancala and monopoly are going. I haven`t started the smaller boxes of toys yet but am uncertain about the lovely wooden toys in there. They are into top trumps every time they come down but I see them using the wooden toys too, The games in the trolley are pristine in the lovely sturdy boxes and they are taped down and ready to go. One full trolley is another large packing box less and more money to help the hospice
    Last edited by kittie; 15-09-2017 at 9:16 AM.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 3,158 Posts
    • 50,339 Thanks
    silvasava
    Charly - thinking of you and your family xx.

Hmm - surely Josh and Marie are aiming in the same direction? Does it matter which road you travel if the destination is the same - parallels with religion ' mines the best'?

DS1's corner settee got collected in the end yesterday. Today he's helping us load the base cabinet for my friend which we will deliver and pick up her sofa to replace DS1's - bit like musical chairs!
    Only Kondoing today will be dust bunnies & hopefully some more apples to some unsuspecting neighbour lol
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    • 969 Posts
    • 4,967 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I dropped off the bag to the CS and I actually left with more than I brought in.

The three little teddy bears will be eaten by my dogs, though.

I bought some tealights in the CS and they will be used up too. The silver buddha I bought recently has a tealight holder so I was pleased to see them in the CS.

One thing I bought was a picture of a bird for my wall so that doesn't really add to the clutter, but it does spark joy.

Ooh, I will have to go and read that in a minute.

At the homestead in N. Wales as my lovely l Dad had a massive seizure this time last week. He was sedated for 24 hours and they scanned his brain. He now has at least 7 tumours in his head and the swelling caused the seizure. Luckily he could still talk but at times it's not our Dad. He's had a lot of challenges since then but we are waiting for a hospice bed. Both my sisters are here and we'll stay with my Mum and Dad till the end.
    Drink the coffee, pick the flowers, kiss and hug, sleep in the best sheets, use the best cutlery and crockery, notice the rainbows �� and eat the cake my lovelies. Love to you all x
    Originally posted by Charly27
    ((Hugs)) to you.xxx
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 15th Sep 17, 8:30 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Charly take care of yourself and dismiss anything you feel you need to that your dad says just now as 'not being him just now', treasure any lucid moments and enjoy just holding his hand

Hugs daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

325Posts Today

3,056Users online

Martin's Twitter