Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,706Posts
    • 20,401Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 33
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 13th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 6,336 Thanks
    catshark88
    Today I have mk'd 4 more bags of books to the cs and loads of cardboard (packaging) to the recycling bin in town.

I have also Kondoed a load of grass off the lawn and 2 chocolate brioches. Oops.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 32,927 Thanks
    Floss
    Another two bags left today, i keep a bag in my study for stashing out of the way

However I need to revisit my work clothes as I bought 3 immaculate dresses today to replace some which are too shabby-looking. I also bought a BN pink cardi and 50% reduced black & cream jacket which I can wear over all my black & grey dresses which were both a want (both from Sainsbobs) I also found some very comfy flat black leather knee boots there which DH is buying me for Christmas to replace my 7 year old pair which the cobbler has said will only take one more repair In their defence I wear them at least 3 times a week from October to April so they don't owe me anything!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,259 Posts
    • 51,955 Thanks
    silvasava
    Loving the KM by stealth - seems there's quite a few of us with OH's who question what we're getting rid of! Why???? My DH keeps telling me - 'there's nothing wrong with it - keep it for Justin - Nooooooooo!
    Managed to re-home a unit settee for DS1 via Freecycle - two CS refused it and there's nothing wrong with it - must be getting picky
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Sep 17, 4:03 PM
    • 11,371 Posts
    • 218,772 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I hear from members of the public here who are arranging to have the council take sofas etc away for a fee that charity shops have declined them. Sometimes, it's because they don't have the current fire safety labels but oftentimes, it seems to be because they can't be resold for at least £200-£300. Plenty of people would be happy to have a £50 used couch but there is only so much warehousing/ shop floor / transport costs the charities can bear, I guess. Well done on you for finding a freecycler.

Have been pootling around today as not feeling A1 (sneezing, bring out the plague mark for the door). Have donated a bag with some bits in to the charity shop and also spent some time trying on trousers.

Several pairs have moved from the too small to just right () but there are one or two pairs still a bit tight, but I'm shedding weightly gradually so have put them to one side for another try-on in a few months.

Have also done some pre-emptive repairs (re-sewing buttons which are coming adrift before they fall) and will be doing a bit more of that on three pairs of trousers. Machine-sewn buttons are absolutely rubbish, don't you find?

I find it's best to get little bits out asap I identify them as unnecessary rather than wait for some big chunk of time when I will have nothing else to do but paw through my possessions. Doesn't ever seem to arrive, somehow, and things can linger if I don't keep pecking away at the piles.

Righty, off to do some more button-sewing, then will clear off my tabletop and give everything which has been roosting on it a Hard Stare before returning it. Only the four mini-sunflowers in a jar are guaranteed clearance....
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• DianaMattos
    • By DianaMattos 13th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    DianaMattos
    I got the MK book from the library and was making excellent progress with reading it and getting all inspired and motivated, then woke up Friday morning unable to move! My back had seized and I spent 36 hours flat on my back until a wonderful doctor gave me a house-visit and some wonderful pills from her doctor bag. Up and about the next day! Our NHS is wonderful

Anyway, I finished the book this afternoon, and in the half hour I had before picking up the small people from school, I went through my clothes drawers, which I like to think were pretty clutter-free and produced two carrier bags of clothes for the clothes recycling not even charity shopable! And I have a spare drawer now too. And far too many pairs of black tights for someone who prefers leggings over tights. And don't get me started on the lovely pretty underwear I rediscovered at the back of the smalls drawer

Can't wait to get to the wardrobe now
    • Eirlys
    • By Eirlys 13th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Eirlys
    Cash for Trash
    I have lots of broken costume jewellery and see that a website called Vintage Cash Cow accepts these for cash. I wouldn't get much for them but if I refuse offer they will return them post free. I don't pay postage to send them either.

Has anyone used this "firm", please?
    • greent
    • By greent 13th Sep 17, 5:13 PM
    • 6,439 Posts
    • 64,973 Thanks
    greent
    I have lots of broken costume jewellery and see that a website called Vintage Cash Cow accepts these for cash. I wouldn't get much for them but if I refuse offer they will return them post free. I don't pay postage to send them either.

Originally posted by Eirlys
    Had never heard of them. There is an old-ish short thread on them: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72315113&highlight=vintage+cash+c ow#post72315113 but non-one's posted any real experience
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1226.02/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1760/2017 items
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Sep 17, 6:18 PM
    • 11,371 Posts
    • 218,772 Thanks
    GreyQueen

You could just offer these as a job lot on the Bay yourself, I know of people who bid on and buy such lots.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• wort
    • By wort 13th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 6,933 Thanks
    wort
    Oh my I'm in tears reading that post, from Greent of Daisy s. Thanks for sharing Daisy. Would you mind if I share it??
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 11,311 Posts
    • 64,079 Thanks
    kittie
    it took two of us to hoist all the goodies out of my cs trolley, that rolser is certainly getting some good use and yes I did look like a bag lady, it was piled high and I had another bag in one hand. Got home had a cuppa and started again, I`ve really got the bit between my teeth and rolser is already half full with very decent books, a few unread like the hardback ketogenic whatsit and mary berrys book, I flicked through and saw a recipe with loads of ingredients for some fancy pheasant dish, that was enough for me, bye bye

Now I am waiting for my camera battery to charge up and I will be listing a couple more things on rav, great big money loss but I would rather they were re-homed and just want to cover my costs with enough left for a box of magnums to cheer myself up, so I don`t brood on bad impulsive decisions made years ago. Oh no can`t do that, must save up, I have an objective
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 11,311 Posts
    • 64,079 Thanks
    kittie
    my trolley is full, again. I have just added many knitting books, all brand new and most by rowan. Most I could have got via rav is about £5 each and I always pay PnP so it is not worth the packaging effort. CS can have them and good luck to them. Books are awful heavy to post
    • Eirlys
    • By Eirlys 13th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Eirlys
    Oh Kittie I would love to have bought some of the Rowan books........Hang on! I am not supposed to buy anything until all my clutter has gone. Duh! I loved Kaffe Fassett's knitting kits also and wish I had some now. He produced some lovely knits.

Oh dear! Now look what you've done, Kittie!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Sep 17, 8:08 AM
    • 11,371 Posts
    • 218,772 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Oh Kittie I would love to have bought some of the Rowan books........Hang on! I am not supposed to buy anything until all my clutter has gone. Duh! I loved Kaffe Fassett's knitting kits also and wish I had some now. He produced some lovely knits.

Oh dear! Now look what you've done, Kittie!
    Several times someone up here has posted about getting rid of something and I've caught myself thinking Ooo, I would've liked that!

I guess my reflexive desire for radom things is one of the reasons I have had so much in the past. Other reasons could be described as:

1. Fear of poverty; if I don't take it/ keep it now, it won't be affordable when I do need it.

2. Fear of Wastefulness; it's not really good enough to give away but it's still got plenty of life left in it, I should use it up entirely. I adore using things up entirely.

3. Lifestyle aspiration; wanting to be the kind of person who goes wilderness hiking/ does a thousand-and-one crafts/ reads Literature rather than crime novels........

4. Whatever (it's relatively early and I haven't had brekkie yet).

Still on annual leave until Monday but am easing into a day of questionable weather. If it stays dry, I will go to the allotment for a couple of hours, if it doesn't, I'll think of something else to do.

Pretty pleased about yesterday's mending as I re-sewed two trouser waistband buttons and re-stitched the corresponding buttonholes as they were becoming rather worn (linen trews, not jeans, so not the toughest of stitiching originally). As I was using some Silko thread off a wooden cotton-reel, I meditated to how these old threads are head-and-shoulders in quality over anything you can buy nowadays.

Quality, in everthing from sewing threads, to whole garments, to furniture, pans, appliances etc, has been sliding for decades now. Sadly, there are plenty of adults who don't know that fridges used to be made which would last thirty years, they think ten is a good innings. At the moment, in my neighbourhood, several private houses have skips outside and I can see they're having new kitchens and bathrooms. The kicker is, these houses are well under ten years old, I remember them being built!

This built-in obsolescence greatly contributes to the appalling amount of waste and fly-tipping in our society. I hope things turn around again and that in a generation or two, people will be looking back on the current era in absolute horror at how wasteful and stupid we are. And that they'll be living differently and less wastefully themselves.

I've long joked that if I was planning multi-generational familial wealth strategies, as in for hundreds of years down the line, I'd be buying landfill sites. I have every expection of landfill mining being a thing in the future, as we try to recover the resources which we're wasting now.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 6,693 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm taking a bag to the CS today. 2 handbags, 2 men's tops, a book and a boxset of a TV series that I forgot I had. I assume some people still watch DVDs!
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Sep 17, 9:37 AM
    • 11,311 Posts
    • 64,079 Thanks
    kittie
    Kaffe Fassett had a wonderful exhibition in the american museum at Bath, I went there with dh, we both loved his work too Eirlys

I did the second look over my craft dooks in the trolley and have recovered, as in rescued, 4. I knew I would look at them properly today and there are many designs in those four that I would make for myself, not rowan books but the likes of Kim Hargreaves and other good knitwear designers. The 5 going out are all rowan but the likes of designer fancy evening wear and young person stuff like crop tops and menswear, none of which I will make in future. So the de-clutter in my cs trolley will be going to the cs shortly, a drive and a 40p car park fee but I`ll be glad to see them go

I don`t know what next, I wait to be inspired
    • maryb
    • By maryb 14th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 3,432 Posts
    • 40,823 Thanks
    maryb
    My fridge is 31 years old and I can't find another that seems as good quality (flimsy shelves that can't take the weight of a 4pint milk bottle etc) so it's staying even though it is a bit rusty at the bottom

My adored Braun Multipractic food processor died last year after 22 years and I sourced a replacement from Germany via Amazon. Woohoo I thought until it arrived. Let's just say I'll be surprised if this one lasts a quarter as long
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 14th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Oh my I'm in tears reading that post, from Greent of Daisy s. Thanks for sharing Daisy. Would you mind if I share it??
    Originally posted by wort
    Not at all Wort, if it helps anyone then it's all to the overall good

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 14th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Welcome new posters.

I have boxed up almost 3kg of makeup, lotions n potions and new tights n underwear ready to be sent off to give and make up so thanks guys for the info on this or the 2016 thread about pre owned makeup. I would never have thought of searching for this and wouldn't have wanted to throw it in the bucket for fear of 'waste' so all this would have continued to be curated by me ad infinitum. For someone who rarely wears makeup getting it all together Marie style helped show me that I probably didn't need 4 grey eye liners etc etc. And woo styley, the postage will be around 13 quid but I found a forgotten 15 quid when sorting through handbags so net cost to me: nil, net effect: stuff out and hopefully some happy ladies using the stuff.

More power to the woo !!

GQ, I agree re comment on mining the landfill. I've long thought there will come a time when it will become more economical to go back through all this stuff than try to find new metals/minerals etc.

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 14th Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Woohoo hoop de doop, just noticed I have finally got my new badge. *Off to change sig*

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 28,085 Posts
    • 154,417 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Eirlys, yes I think you are the oldest. I was a post war baby when there was still rationing, when my mother ironed wrapping paper to re-use it.
    Originally posted by kittie
    I'm not far off born the year rationing finished

GQ, I agree re comment on mining the landfill. I've long thought there will come a time when it will become more economical to go back through all this stuff than try to find new metals/minerals etc.
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    One of the oddities of my life is that I have Zimbabwean relatives (an uncle was sent out there on the "make the Empire full of White British Settlers" programme. I kid you not ). Anyway, as an adult, he bought a small farm out there, and one string of income, for a while, was mining through a Victorian gold mine for the "leftover" gold and silver. When I stayed with them, I took photos of the smelting process, and went with them on the drive to the Zimbabwean Mint, which was the only legal buyer back then. It was fascinating.

Am KMing. I have a copy of the book of Seven Years in Tibet, a different edition hardback published in the first year of publication of the first edition. I'll try selling online now, I think, but I bought it 2nd hand for £3, hardly a goldmine itself
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

722Posts Today

6,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin