Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,688Posts
    • 20,274Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 32
    • Eirlys
    • By Eirlys 12th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Eirlys
    For "Best".
    I think keeping things "for best" ties in with my clutter. As probably the oldest here I have some excuses! During WW2 we had to make and mend and had very few clothes. As a result I am over compensating. I love to see a full wardrobe of pretty clothes. The fact that I now do not live the life where I can make of these seems immaterial. Big sigh!
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 12th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 1,922 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Eirlys you enjoy looking at your clothes girl. They're yours and you love them so what if they don't get many airings.

I have finally looked through a bag of stuff I brought away from work when I kondo'd it 18 months ago from where it washed up behind a couch. Most of it is in bucket of stuff to be burnt simply as enough months have passed that I know I no longer need it, but I hav kept somethings that 'prove' employment back to 1987 as I like to be careful rather than kondo about these type of things. However I have found a Thing of Great Joy that I thought must have been chucked over the years. I used to have a wonderful s@xy pic of the delectable Laurence Llewelyn Bbowen propped on my desk under my calendars so I could have a sneaky l@st when the need took me . Now I work from home I need to decide......do I keep it???

Daisy xx
    Last edited by daisy 1571; 12-09-2017 at 3:25 PM. Reason: Spelling (as ever)
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 51,724 Thanks
    silvasava
    Put it on the inside of a cupboard door Daisy and have a little swoon when you need one!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 12th Sep 17, 3:31 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 1,922 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Silva sava, that's a darn fine idea. He is propped up before me as I type

The very last piece of paper out of the last folder was rather poignant. Judging by how faded the piece of paper is I have had it for some time. Particularly appropriate on these pages. It's too long to retype here but look it up if you feel so inclined: Take hold of every moment by Anonymous

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,790 Thanks
    kittie
    Eirlys, yes I think you are the oldest. I was a post war baby when there was still rationing, when my mother ironed wrapping paper to re-use it. One dress to wear and one for best and one pair of shoes for all weathers. I think this has been my problem too, that ingrained need to have a full wardrobe. Mine is still too full and I have enjpyed the process of making lovely clothes and buying gorgeous fabric but I have stopped

Its been busy today, I didn`t plan to be so busy but I do it because I am driven and I have the energy. Cs trolley is going tomorrow and the last thing to be added is a professional large food mill, it was useful at the time, for separating pips and seeds before making conserves and jellies, I said goodbye to it. I am in a good place with my MK, it took minutes to clean the bathroom today but I need to grit my teeth and do more MK in my en suite. I do subconsciously ignore some areas
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Sep 17, 6:42 PM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 51,724 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oh yes - having something for best - probably because clothes were expensive but the backlash has meant too much saved for Justin too. My mum made me a lovely lemon taffeta dress when I was about 8 - to be kept for best. Despite my wheedling no occasion was best enough - on the day it was brought out to be worn it was too small & broke my heart!
    Using up leftover beef joint I got the electric knife out to try - hated it so it's being kondoed along with a vegetable slicer that's too fiddly.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 4,001 Posts
    • 32,661 Thanks
    Floss
    Whilst sorting & km-ing yesterday I found the dried roses & eucalyptus stems I took from both of the in-laws' funeral flowers and the dried red roses & sea holly that were the first flowers DH bought me the first time he came to stay They and some dried lavender which lived on my dressing table have all been deconstructed and now live in a pretty glass jar on my dressing table, where I can enjoy the colours of the dried petals and remember the memories.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 22,610 Thanks
    MMF007
    That sounds so lovely Floss. Keep the memories via something pretty

I love that KM is making us all creative!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 12th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 947 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    catshark88
    One of the things I learnt on the mortgage free wannabe section was the importance of doing SOMETHING, however small, towards your goal, each day.

I think that decluttering is similar. Yes, the days where you MK a whole type of item/ room and drive it all to the CS/ recycling, are fab. A bit like when you pay a lump off your mortgage or off a debt.

But equally important are the days where you let that one colour of tights go, or gift one book that you meant to read but know you won't get round to it. I know MK likes to do things in great clumps, but sometimes RL gets in the way.

How about choosing one thing you love and have kept for best, putting it into use and getting shot of the unloved version that you were using? We all deserve to wear comfortable tights (or an equivalent)!!!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 5:21 AM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,790 Thanks
    kittie
    One of the things I learnt on the mortgage free wannabe section was the importance of doing SOMETHING, however small, towards your goal, each day.
    Originally posted by catshark88
    Very right. Two part used bath gels went yesterday, I only shower and have enough soaps for the rest of my life Sunscreens have also gone..Opposite to MK is money, cash in the bank, I am not spending anything extra because I need to eat out of my freezer and stores and am not buying anything. Bills get paid by direct debit and all are accounted for via m/s money, I see that money for my move is building up a bit at a time
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 6:50 AM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,790 Thanks
    kittie
    lol, even my own post resonated with me. I have a ks soft heavy nice cream cotton blanket. I am bagging it for the cs today. I haven`t used it in two years, whats the point in keeping it. Thanking it and off it goes.

Catshark, good influence
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 8:08 AM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,790 Thanks
    kittie
    last post, honest, its just that I was up early and felt like chatting.

I have just removed at least a dozen items from my en suite, this is my bathroom, includes two electric toothbrush handles which belonged to my husband. Time to let go of the last items. Wrapped soaps and unopened face cleansing pads are in cs trolley, which is now full to bursting and I am going to look like bag lady with layer on layer on top of the trolley. I will never use any of it, so why hang onto it all

This toothbrush handle thing is making me think of a couple of other items, like the hm train on a windowcill. Why am I hanging onto it? because dh made it but I don`t really want it and have something else he made, far nicer and tactile. It will be going this week. It is all a bit at a time, it really is
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 13th Sep 17, 8:18 AM
    • 974 Posts
    • 16,465 Thanks
    Siebrie
    That's what I'm doing at the moment, too. If I were to gather everything up in one place, I'd be interrupted countless times and would have to explain why certain items are going. I prefer to do a bit at a time, almost by stealth.

Small yet satisfying job for today: arranging my cotton hankies in order from 'new' at the second pile at the back to 'almost-rags' at the top of the pile at the front. I have about 50 now and store them in one of these shoe hangers in my wardrobe (similar to 1kea's Scubb).

Off to kondo a tooth! After about 20 years of no cavities at all, I now have six! Five have been filled over the last few weeks, and today a wisdom tooth will be extracted. At the end of September my last wisdom tooth will be removed at the hospital, because it is growing in to the bone. It's sad to see the last of my wisdom go
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6849,49= £ 5815.67
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    The very last piece of paper out of the last folder was rather poignant. Judging by how faded the piece of paper is I have had it for some time. Particularly appropriate on these pages. It's too long to retype here but look it up if you feel so inclined: Take hold of every moment by Anonymous
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    I just read it, aw, it was poignant.

I think that decluttering is similar. Yes, the days where you MK a whole type of item/ room and drive it all to the CS/ recycling, are fab. A bit like when you pay a lump off your mortgage or off a debt.
    Originally posted by catshark88
    I was thinking something similar yesterday as I was reviewing our savings and our mortgage debt. It's amazing how much progress you can make if you make regular effort.

I am going out tomorrow for a massage and I was going to swing by the Sense charity shop and hand over some clothes and a couple of handbags that I don't ever use. I prefer the across body bags now and the bags look brand new so someone will want them.

Not KM really, but I actually bought a new white table for the living room. I put my new silver Buddha on there with a little (fake) plant and some white LED candles and I've been admiring it all today and yesterday. I love the way my home looks now without a lot of clutter.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • greent
    • By greent 13th Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 6,409 Posts
    • 64,748 Thanks
    greent
    Silva sava, that's a darn fine idea. He is propped up before me as I type

Daisy xx
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    Copied and pasted - too good not to have on the thread x

A friend of mine opened his wife's underwear drawer and picked up a silk paper wrapped package:
    "This, - he said - isn't any ordinary package." He unwrapped the box and stared at both the silk paper and the box.
    "She got this the first time we went to New York, 8 or 9 years ago. She has never put it on. Was saving it for a special occasion.

Well, I guess this is it. He got near the bed and placed the gift box next to the other clothings he was taking to the funeral house, his wife had just died. He turned to me and said:

"Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion".
    I still think those words changed my life. Now I read more and clean less. I sit on the porch without worrying about anything. I spend more time with my family, and less at work. I understood that life should be a source of experience to be lived up to, not survived through. I no longer keep anything. I use crystal glasses every day. I'll wear new clothes to go to the supermarket, if i feel like it. I don't save my special perfume for special occasions, I use it whenever I want to. The words "Someday..." and "One Day..." are fading away from my dictionary. If it's worth seeing, listening or doing, I want to see, listen or do it now.
    I don't know what my friend's wife would have done if she knew she wouldn't be there the next morning, this nobody can tell. I think she might have called her relatives and closest friends.

She might call old friends to make peace over past quarrels. I'd like to think she would go out for Chinese, her favourite food. It's these small things that I would regret not doing, if I knew my time had come. I would regret it, because I would no longer see the friends I would meet, letters... letters that i wanted to write "One of this days". I would regret and feel sad, because I didn't say to my brothers and sons, not times enough at least, how much I love them.

Now, I try not to delay, postpone or keep anything that could bring laughter and joy into our lives. And, on each morning, I say to myself that this could be a special day. Each day, each hour, each minute, is special.
    Last edited by greent; 13-09-2017 at 9:44 AM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1214.99/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1730/2017 items
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 13th Sep 17, 10:06 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 1,922 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Copied and pasted - too good not to have on the thread x

"Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion".[/COLOR]
    Originally posted by greent
    Thanks greent, I'm usually on a pad thing so I never thought of cooy/paste as I woukd do on a normal computer.

Going to see if I can put the but above into my sig - if you see it there I will have worked out how to do it

Daisy xx
    Last edited by daisy 1571; 13-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.

• kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,790 Thanks
    kittie
    omg greent, I am glad you posted that and how much that resonated with me

The only thing I can say is that I am trying to wear some good wearable stuff out, so I can wear other things. All of it is nice and future planning like this means that I won`t have to spend much later in life. So I am not throwing out just because of rose coloured emotional glasses
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 13th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 947 Posts
    • 6,238 Thanks
    catshark88
    Greent, what an incredibly moving post. Thank you for posting it.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 4,001 Posts
    • 32,661 Thanks
    Floss
    Lovely post

Am loving being part of the undercover KM team...my DH has no idea what is leaving or being rehomed
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 13th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 4,641 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    me too, a good tip i learned here is to put something in a carrier bag in the loft, if no one misses it after 6 months it goes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,287Users online

Martin's Twitter