Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,706Posts
    • 20,385Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 29
    • Eirlys
    • By Eirlys 9th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Eirlys
    Jumble Sales
    Have been sorting out stuff for the Guides' Jumble Sale in October. They are well-supported and usually raise around £1000. Not quite so many jumble sales around these days as people give to charity shops and sell on eBay and car boot sales. Pleased to have one large bag ready. Now for the next one!
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 9th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    Picklepot
    VJs mum you made me laugh!
    On going to uni my DS was thrilled with 100 paper party plates to sit on top of normal plates to save on washing up and a childrens cook book!!!.
    A friend suggested the party plates saying in the first weeks nobody is used to washing up..we also had a 'student' cookbook that had recipes requiring anchovies amoretto biscuits and pitted olives that soon went to CS ..not stuff in average student house
    Since it was our childrens cook book he was happy
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 20,385 Thanks
    Slinky
    Re snake, we know it's protected and don't want to hurt it. However what is being described by the vendor as 'compost bin' is what we think is the council's garden waste bin, as we never saw what we'd call a compost bin (where you're trying to make it for using yourself) at the house. If we can't get the snake out, we can't get rid of garden rubbish as it would come to certain harm being tipped into the bin wagon. At the moment, the bin is apparently in the back garden next to the lounge door.......eek!

We may try trundling the bin down the road and across the park where there's some waste ground with water nearby, from memory, and seeing if we can rehome it there. We're going to get some dodgy looks from our new neighbours on this one!

The house has been empty for 18 months and although a small amount of gardening has been done, it's become a bit overgrown, especially around a pond. Could be a whole load more snakes......
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 9th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 9,405 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Re snake, we know it's protected and don't want to hurt it. However what is being described by the vendor as 'compost bin' is what we think is the council's garden waste bin, as we never saw what we'd call a compost bin (where you're trying to make it for using yourself) at the house. If we can't get the snake out, we can't get rid of garden rubbish as it would come to certain harm being tipped into the bin wagon. At the moment, the bin is apparently in the back garden next to the lounge door.......eek!

We may try trundling the bin down the road and across the park where there's some waste ground with water nearby, from memory, and seeing if we can rehome it there. We're going to get some dodgy looks from our new neighbours on this one!

The house has been empty for 18 months and although a small amount of gardening has been done, it's become a bit overgrown, especially around a pond. Could be a whole load more snakes......
    Originally posted by Slinky

I would suggest gently laying the bin down on its side and slowly pulling the waste out with a lawn rake. Hopefully hissing Sid will slither out himself. I'm pretty sure that grass snakes are harmless and don't bite so hopefully the worst that could happen is both he and you will get a surprise!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 51,864 Thanks
    silvasava
    Grass snakes are totally harmless - I had one sunbathing in some weeds, I don't know who had the bigger shock, him or me when I accidentally picked him up and threw him in the bucket! I did rescue him though. My dining room furniture saga continues - managed to get DH to remove all the glass shelves, doors and side panels from the cabinet and our neighbour helped him lift the top part onto the floor. I've just got to finish emptying the bottom part and fingers crossed it will be leaving next week. I can then ring the hospice charity to take the table and chairs.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Sep 17, 5:03 PM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 20,385 Thanks
    Slinky
    I would suggest gently laying the bin down on its side and slowly pulling the waste out with a lawn rake. Hopefully hissing Sid will slither out himself. I'm pretty sure that grass snakes are harmless and don't bite so hopefully the worst that could happen is both he and you will get a surprise!
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    This is the sort of plan if he's still there (we too are calling him hissing Sid), however I would rather he's not in our garden. For one thing OH is going to be out there with a strimmer trying to tame the garden, strimmers and wildlife are not a good mix.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th Sep 17, 5:17 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 51,864 Thanks
    silvasava
    Slinky - suggest DH stamps heavily on the ground before he strims -. most wildlife will then skedaddle!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 9th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    kboss2010
    This morning I lost it with my kitchen - it's full of so much clutter & the utensils cupboards are so full of carp that half the counter is covered in pans & it's a pain in the neck to clean - so I've spent all day Kondoing it! I now have floor space, organised cupboards & two huge bags of charity shop donations to hand in next week.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 9th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 22,735 Thanks
    MMF007
    kboss

Feel the magic! Well done!!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 11,308 Posts
    • 64,033 Thanks
    kittie
    lots more going tomorrow, to the re-use area at the tip. That will be the fourth car load this week and I mean full to the roof. Result is a tidy and bright outbuilding, took lots of effort but has been worth it. I don`t need to do anything else in there, except eat the stored foods over winter
    • MarieMac
    • By MarieMac 10th Sep 17, 5:29 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    MarieMac
    Marie Mac what is it you are finding bulky ? I had misinterpreted the instructions and folded my hoodies but they took up such a lot of room in the drawer and annoyed me. I then read either on this thread or the 2016 thread that bulky can be hung. I now have a lovely row of hanging colourful hoodies and a beautifully folded row of denim shirts taking up about a quarter of the drawer space the hoodies used to be in. Joy. Daisy xx
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    I'm mainly having difficulties with some 3/4 sleeve shirts that are a jersey knit. Kondo folding them makes them about 1.5 inches thick, whereas I normally can get them much thinner by folding in half, tucking the arms over, then in half again. As my dresser only has 3 drawers, only about 12 inches deep and 4 inches tall, I've only been able to put 5 shirts in a row, which fills up the dresser quickly.

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that as much I like the one I have, I'm going to need to find something bigger if I want to have a tidy bedroom. As my closet is not designed in a way that makes it particularly accessible, nearly everything gets folded. As least the good news is that I can get rid of some of the cheaper kids furniture in the spare room and put the one from my room in there, as it would be a good size for family when they come to stay for a week or two. That way I get to keep the sentimental piece while finding one that works better for my everyday life. Which seems to fit in with the Kondo philosophy!

lots more going tomorrow, to the re-use area at the tip. That will be the fourth car load this week and I mean full to the roof. Result is a tidy and bright outbuilding, took lots of effort but has been worth it. I don`t need to do anything else in there, except eat the stored foods over winter
    Originally posted by kittie
    Excellent work Kittie! I bet it feels like such a relief to be finished with the outbuilding and have the weight of all that 'stuff' off your shoulders!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    • 11,308 Posts
    • 64,033 Thanks
    kittie
    Excellent work Kittie! I bet it feels like such a relief to be finished with the outbuilding and have the weight of all that 'stuff' off your shoulders!
    Originally posted by MarieMac
    That outbuilding was an area that I so dreaded sorting, after my husband died, I kept putting it off. It had to start with me sawing and using my carving tools to take the very secure bike holder off the wall. It has undergone various transformations and I have changed my mind a few times about what to put where but I am now at the point of it being mine and I don`t think twice about what needs to be done.

E mail from dd this morning, asking for my bird feeders, very glad about that and will be unpacking them shortly. I just need to get whatever I can into cs shopping trolley later and I think that is pretty well it. I have too many lock n lock boxes, some lucky people will be able to snap them up at cs. I loved my bird feeders, watching the birds saw me through the first 2 years after that day in february 2015. I used to gaze out the window, watching the birds, while cosy in my recliner. It got me through the dark days. No doubt I will do feeders again but probably a different system, it depends where etc

I cannot believe what my son suggested re a log cabin as a workshop, it has taken a huge weight off my shoulders. His is glorious and I have seen the insulation in it, his is preserved in cream and sage with a window and electrics. Oooh I see the potential for me. My very own wendy house with a purpose.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 32,865 Thanks
    Floss
    Kittie one of those cabins could be your girl-shed
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 11,367 Posts
    • 218,704 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Those log cabins are excellent, I know someone who has one in the back garden of a tiny cottage and it has made an extra outdoor space and added muchly to quality of life. So much so that a threatened move has now been put on hold. You can get it wired for third phase electricity, like Mum's workshop, and it will give you hours of pleasure.

I'm running a bit behind myself today, due to sleeping in until nearly 9 am, woken by a text from a pal who is wanting to know if I will be up at the allotments today? I shall, and within the hour, I let him know.

My allotment shed badly-needs bottoming out but work on the gardening side of allotmenteering has to take priority although, if a heavy shower comes over when I'm already up there, I scoot into the shed and do little bits from the inside. We are now in Big Spider Month, so I am a bit wary about poking around in corners as me and the archanids can give each other mutual frights.

Picture this; GQ and Pal at the juntique shop yesterday:

GQ; Do you have a microfiche reader? (having not seen such a device).
    Pal; No, never.
    GQ: It's just that you've got an instruction booklet for one here.
    Pal; Recycle it.

He never had a microfiche reader but somehow the filing included a booklet for one?! Madness. I also found a dagger and a nineteenth century French sword nicknamed a 'cabbage-cutter' at the time, under the desk. We sold the latter pair toute de suite to a collector for £95 - I joked that we should charge extra for the thick layer of dust.....
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 6,656 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Oh, I would love one of those log cabins/shed things! My garden (I laughably call it a garden!) is far too small and my neighbours are far too loud and annoying even if I did have the space!

I sorted out the inside of my kitchen cabinets the other day as I bought some extra tins for my winter food store. I found some tupperware boxes right at the back. I used one large one as a storage box in my chest of drawers and am thinking about binning the rest. I never even use them as I usually keep leftovers in a bowl in the fridge.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 11,308 Posts
    • 64,033 Thanks
    kittie
    Just letting lunch go down for half an hour and am planning to take some lock n locks to one side for cs. What gives me joy is knowing that someone will use them. I have been pondering lovely trumpet shaped saltware stone pots, too nice to give away but I have too many pots and a brainwave came to me. I have 3 dwarf lilacs in the front in slightly smaller and definitely cheaper stone pots, same basic shape, its obvious now,. Slide them out and put them into the good pots with some extra compost. I will have to get rid of semperviviums but they were only looking after the good pots anyway. More up and down outdoor steps, dumping a decent soil/sand/gravel mix. Three down today = less in the future, this prepping, a bit a time. Makes me appreciate doing it now, no way on earth could I do it in ten years
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 51,864 Thanks
    silvasava
    Kittie - the thought of how DH & I will be in 10 years time is what spurs me on. I don't want our kids to have a marathon task when we pop our clogs and I want my house and garden to be able to be maintained by us for as long as possible. Only problem is its probably going to take me 10 years to get it all done!! (not really )
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 4,845 Posts
    • 69,832 Thanks
    VJsmum

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that as much I like the one I have, I'm going to need to find something bigger if I want to have a tidy bedroom. As my closet is not designed in a way that makes it particularly accessible, nearly everything gets folded. As least the good news is that I can get rid of some of the cheaper kids furniture in the spare room and put the one from my room in there, as it would be a good size for family when they come to stay for a week or two. That way I get to keep the sentimental piece while finding one that works better for my everyday life. Which seems to fit in with the Kondo philosophy!
    Originally posted by MarieMac

I have too many pots and a brainwave came to me. I have 3 dwarf lilacs in the front in slightly smaller and definitely cheaper stone pots, same basic shape, its obvious now,. Slide them out and put them into the good pots with some extra compost. I will have to get rid of semperviviums but they were only looking after the good pots anyway.
    Originally posted by kittie
    And there we have it - the life changing magic!!

well done, both....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 11,308 Posts
    • 64,033 Thanks
    kittie
    silvasava, hubbie and I started when we moved from the large family home, we got rid of a huge lot of bulk then and emptied the loft. We moved to a town house where we stayed for 6 years, not really happy there, Came here in 2010 and started removing things in 2013, I remember DH saying to me `thank it and let it go` but that was all superficial stuff. When he died in 2015, reality hit me, all that justin stuff in the garage and in several other places. Didn`t take me long to re-home the large heavy hammer drill and so on, I reached a stage of more difficult stuff. Do I ? don`t I? and I can honestly say I have not missed anything. If I am not sure then it is put to one side for a while. It is all my own stuff these days so I don`t feel any guilt. However I am glad we started when we did, in 2009. Its a very long process, has to be for sanity sake

I have 5 large empty pots to one side in the garden, waiting to be re-homed

ds has been brilliant, he is a long way away, in Glasgow but he is always so good at thinking things through. He is a project manager and told me about `moscow` last night. Must have, should have, could have
    Last edited by kittie; 10-09-2017 at 2:14 PM.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 10th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    kboss2010
    That's another cupboard kondoed - living room alcove cupboard #1 - to make space for the wine rack that's been gathering dust sitting on top of the fridge! I no longer have a dusty wine rack eyesore everytime I walk into the kitchen!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,497Posts Today

9,554Users online

Martin's Twitter