Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,526Posts
    • 19,104Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 28
    • AElene
    • By AElene 8th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    AElene
    With the weather changing I think it's time to have a clearout of the airing cupboard and clothes and see if I can sell, bin or charity-shop things that I never wear. I did do the clothing category when I started doing Kon Mari, but I guess the categories will need revisiting from time to time.
    Ælene
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Slinky
    Well I finally got a call from the estate agents today to say we have completed on our property purchase. This is the one we intend to rent out for a while before moving into ourselves. The EA said, don't worry, but the vendor has told us there's a grass snake in the compost bin....... Who knows whether it will still be there when we finally get to pick the keys up on Monday. Not what I had hoped to be dealing with on our first visit. We're assuming by compost bin they mean the garden waste bin the council collect. Don't want to do it any harm obviously, but would really rather not have it in the bin or the garden as I can't see it being popular for renting the house out! I hope it doesn't have a load of friends either. There's a pond in the garden.

Ho hum, I think this will be a 'blue' job.
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 8th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 1,058 Thanks
    daisy 1571

I do have a question for everyone though, does anybody else find that folding things the way she suggests takes up a lot more room than 'traditional' folding? I feel like the bundles are just so bulky that it makes it hard to fit everything in my dresser.
    Originally posted by MarieMac
    Marie Mac what is it you are finding bulky ? I had misinterpreted the instructions and folded my hoodies but they took up such a lot of room in the drawer and annoyed me. I then read either on this thread or the 2016 thread that bulky can be hung. I now have a lovely row of hanging colourful hoodies and a beautifully folded row of denim shirts taking up about a quarter of the drawer space the hoodies used to be in. Joy.

I also have been letting things go. One was my much loved jacko from mid seventies. He was cuddled and sent off as he was doing no one anyone any good in a box in the attic. Got a lovely message from new owner that she always wanted one when a girl but never got one so now, at 63, she was buying herself one. I've now received pics of him all washed and clean (I was worried about washing him in case he fell apart) and dressed in jeans from Mr m and a stripy new tshirt (obv some of the marks were too entrenched) and saying thank you to me for allowing him to go off for adoption. Keep remembering and feeling a wee glow that he has made someone so happy. Hopefully she will keep him and regularly cuddle him for the next 40 years

Oh and sorted out scarves and let some go cs and some to bin. And reduced my 20 vases by a third, they are waiting to go off to cs and the remainder now fit in the shelf beautifully. I will return if I remember the other set of things I had cause to count then thin out. Might have been leather bike jackets (3 off to the bay of e) (that's just the unfringy leather ones and being able to get rid of 3 says enough about how many I have I think), might have been sets of playing cards (10 either thanked and let go, couple sold, several still kept for Justin, I know, I know).

Hugs to all who would like them

Daisy xx
    Last edited by daisy 1571; 08-09-2017 at 4:34 PM. Reason: Spelling (as ever)
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 27,710 Posts
    • 151,405 Thanks
    Karmacat
    But grass snakes are lovely! I can see renters might not like them ....

I'm almost scared to ask, but whats a blue job?
    Retired August 2016
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 11,044 Posts
    • 60,877 Thanks
    kittie
    I like grass snakes, ahhh

I don`t know where my energy has come from today, maybe it is because my mind is sorted and today I know exactly in which direction I am moving and what needs to be done wrt my potential house buying. I have taken two full loads to the tip but there is a good area where you put useful stuff for anyone to take and they do take stuff. I have filled up the car again for tomorrow and again full to the roof, I took a small greenhouse apart and that is going. Cs bag is starting to fill too. It has been a very satisfying day and I can see my garage being slowly transformed from a mess to a workshop. It hasn`t been mentally hard this time, I figure if I will never use it, then it is going, I am too old to keep justin
    • Eirlys
    • By Eirlys 8th Sep 17, 5:25 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Eirlys
    Thank you
    Thank you, All, for your welcoming comments.

I had thought of offering china to Freecycle and to charity shops. Some teasets have gone and I hope will raise some money.
    It's china like Wedgwood Blue Jasper which just isn't popular these days. My lovely MIL had them all
    around her dining room "picture rail" and they looked great. They don't shoved in a cardboard box!

I have sold some items on e-Bay but it's such a palaver and firms won't insure china in transit. Guess it will be Oxfam though I do like to support smaller local charities.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 20,399 Thanks
    MMF007
    I imagine that if you photographed each piece you could make a lovely collage in a large frame
    The items themselves may sell at auction as a large lot? No idea what prices are like a d there is a big deduction by the auction house for costs. Usually auctions offer free valuations so you get a rough idea of whether it was worth selling them?
    Note to self - take Chinese teaset to local auction house for free valuation!!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Slinky
    But grass snakes are lovely! I can see renters might not like them ....

I'm almost scared to ask, but whats a blue job?
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Blue job - job for husband, pink job - job for me!

I've only ever seen a grass snake once before, I had one about 4 inches long in our back garden last summer. Only saw it because our cat was staring at it. Never had one before that I've seen in over 20 years here.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Sep 17, 6:37 PM
    • 27,710 Posts
    • 151,405 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Blue job - job for husband, pink job - job for me!

I've only ever seen a grass snake once before, I had one about 4 inches long in our back garden last summer. Only saw it because our cat was staring at it. Never had one before that I've seen in over 20 years here.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Phew! I thought it was going to be a pun on "blue on blue", friendly fire and whatnot

Snakes and lizards don't freak me, but there are plenty of things that do!
    Retired August 2016
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 8th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 8,894 Thanks
    grunnie
    MM007 My granny's Chinese teaset is on display in my kitchen. I had loads of very old teasets and after offering them to my 3 DILs I gave them to a local hotel that does fancy afternoon teas. They were delighted to get them and I have tea in one of the cups every Friday when I meet my chums.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 20,399 Thanks
    MMF007
    Grunnie, that worked out well then!
    Unfortunately my Chinese teaset is annoying me because it takes up space (some has never been out of the box I was given it in, but just gets shuffled round when I try to find a better place to store it). I need to find a way to move it on and it would be good to get some money for it but I think it was mass-produced and pretty low value.
    I have 3 things on my kondo list - this teaset, the dratted Large model boat, and the bulky sunloungers. I should deal with the teaset, DH is insisting on keeping the other 2 items .grrrrr.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • firebubble
    • By firebubble 8th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    firebubble
    Grass snakes are endangered, so it's illegal to harm them...be careful when you move them. You could just leave them, they are harmless and don't cause any problems.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 11,192 Posts
    • 215,506 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I wish I had a grass snake, or even a tribe of them, on my allotment. They hoover up slugs. Regard their presence as a blessing, I know I would.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Floss
    • By Floss 8th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 30,461 Thanks
    Floss
    I haven't seen a grass snake for about 40 years but DH & I saw an adder last week on hols in Pembrokeshire
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Sep 17, 6:21 AM
    • 11,044 Posts
    • 60,877 Thanks
    kittie
    I never knew that they ate slugs, I wish I had them too, slugs seem to be getting bigger and bigger

Up bright and breezy, jobs to do before the rain. I filled the whole car again yesterday afternoon, that will be three loads in one day. Some for the `give away` area but mostly old to be tipped and re-cycled. I look around me in each room lately and imagine a stack of cardboard boxes to be packed, so far it isn`t a bad scenario, in most rooms. Imagining me packing the boxes is making me buck my ideas up re my downstairs craft/dumping room for example. I sold an item of fleece prep (as in spinning) yesterday, made £100 for my house move pot and happily passed ownership to someone else. I have beautiful magazines, old fashioned knitting patterns for the likes of old fashioned fair isle tops and cardigans. I think I will start selling these and also some beautiful simple hand spinning equipment, hand made in gorgeous woods, never used and bought to admire. Luckily I kept cardboard tubes etc, so am ok for packing to send

Todays MK jobs: take car load to the tip/re-cycling
    Plan food because I have to MK the freezer contents until I move
    Continue in garage, making good progress so far
    Start combining my dozens of lock n lock boxes. They are staying with me but take up a lot of space. I am always using them and would not know which ones to take to cs anyway
    Maybe try and clear the outbuilding floor, so I don`t have to step over stuff
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 9th Sep 17, 7:43 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 19,714 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Gosh Kittie, I wish I had your energy! You're doing exactly the right thing - when you come to move, it will be so much easier because you have got rid of the unnecessary stuff before you start packing Bob

Daisy, your story about Jacko is heartwarming (I had to Google to see what he was though!) that's what MK is all about - releasing stuff to someone who can use and love it.

I have my Granny's wedding present china in a box, admittedly quite a small one as things like moustache cups, yes there was one, and milk jugs have been disposed of. My grandmother, whom I never knew, was married in 1916. I can't bring myself to sell it/give it away, I did have it on display once, but never used it. I'm hoping one of my nieces will turn out to have a taste for vintage stuff - I'm conscious of not passing on things to other people just to get rid of them, but I'd like it to stay in the family.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Sep 17, 8:01 AM
    • 11,192 Posts
    • 215,506 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'm off out to the juntique shop this morning to answer an SOS with regards to The Paperwork. I capitalise it as my pal has a deep and abiding fear of all matters paper-ish. I will deploy the shredder over some of it, I'm sure, and file the rest.

The folks have done another dump run this week and two of the three windows have now left the building (their dump only allows one window or one door per week, I guess to discourage builders from trying to offload commercial quantities at the household facility). These are three windows which had somehow disappeared inside a smallish garden shed. Quite how you can lose three windows in a structure which itself is only 6 x 8 foot is beyond me, but there you go.

There is also a small cache of items for the hazardous waste amnesty day in a few weeks' time including a coffee jar of mystery pellets from Grandad's shed. My Grandad pre-deceased my Nan by seventeen years and we have no idea if they're rat poison or fertiliser pellets, but don't want to take any chances with them.

I did nag my Dad several times over those seventeen years about sorting out this shed, since 90% of the contents was absolute trash by the end and could have usefully been dealt with a bit at a time, instead of all in a rush as part of clearing the rented bungalow and handing it back over to their council.

Maybe he's internalised my nagging and decided to do something about his sheds (he's not allowed into Mum's workshop shed, I have limited access under close supervision).

My own decluttering has slowed down, due to being very busy about other matters and also due to some things being works-in-progress or seasonally dependant. The recycling is leaving today, a print cartridge went for charitable recycling yesterday and some books will be given away asap I've finished reading them.

Onward and upwards, my lovelies, hope everyone has a great day. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Fen1
    • By Fen1 9th Sep 17, 8:28 AM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 4,220 Thanks
    Fen1
    I am lying on the sofa having my breakfast, two blankets on my lap, and YouCat on top of them. I cannot believe how quickly the temperature has dropped. Just a few weeks ago I couldn't imagine being swaddled in multiple blankets. I have the windows wide open in the sitting room as I love fresh air. But it is nobbling!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 9th Sep 17, 9:05 AM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 68,149 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Groan - having stashed most of DD's uni stuff somewhere in the house, we had to do a run to the Swedish warehouse that men hate to set up DS. (to be fair, he is having a lot of DD's stuff plus some caravan stuff but pink duvet covers and plates weren't his thing , so we are a little overrun with stuff again (though only for a week).

Some observations:
    1. Never sit near the childrens section of the restaurant
    2. Men hate Ikea - even (or maybe especially) 18 year old men
    3. 18 year old men don't give too much of a flying fig about sheets, plates, bowls, duvets, laundry baskets (as long as they are not pink!) the only thing he contributed to the trolley was a bottle opener and a pint glass
    4. Ikea at this time of year is full of bored teens and fussy parents....
    5. There is a vast amount of tat in ikea....

On the upside, i got him to sort out his clothes - and he did it with no nagging. The 'out' pile was vastly bigger than the 'can't wear cos it's too small but want to keep pile' . The latter comprised only of 2 prized football shirts. Bless him, he has been wearing boxers for a boy aged 12 - 13. My rag pile has grown exponentially (I will confess to keeping two pairs of shorts and a shirt from the 'out' pile. I think his tastes will change in the next year and they still fit him. If he still doesn't want them next summer, i'll donate.)

I also have permission to recycle all of his A level notes...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Eirlys
    • By Eirlys 9th Sep 17, 12:26 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Eirlys
    Snakes
    Often have slow worm, grass snakes and adders in the garden. We live right next to a Nature Reserve so must be expected. Love slow worm; don't mind grass snakes and am sensibly wary of adders. Had a very large one on the terrace two years ago, so large, husband kept saying it must be a grass snake. It wasn't!
    Once had a grass snake in the hall. Front door was open as it was a very hot day ; flooring cool. Husband saw it and thought it was a rubber snake, until it moved. Had to get a broom so it could curl itself around it and then be transferred to the garden.

Snakes like compost heaps as they are warm. Grass snakes lay eggs in them, I believe.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,909Posts Today

5,967Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin