Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,703Posts
    • 20,349Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 26
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 4th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 809 Posts
    • 20,692 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    And lo, all over the land there was stirring and rustling in garages, sheds, lofts and outbuildings. And all the defunct solar lights, non-working dvd players and stereos, the broken strimmers and lawnmowers, the rechargeable batteries that have stopped charging and the computers that are obsolete, the printers that stopped working but might work again with the right cartridge, the video machines that might be of historic value one day and the electronic games that were the most-wanted Christmas present that year and cost a small fortune .... yea they all arose and magically healed themselves and began working again.

No, me neither. Chuck 'em out and enjoy the space!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 4th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 9,353 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    And lo, all over the land there was stirring and rustling in garages, sheds, lofts and outbuildings. And all the defunct solar lights, non-working dvd players and stereos, the broken strimmers and lawnmowers, the rechargeable batteries that have stopped charging and the computers that are obsolete, the printers that stopped working but might work again with the right cartridge, the video machines that might be of historic value one day and the electronic games that were the most-wanted Christmas present that year and cost a small fortune .... yea they all arose and magically healed themselves and began working again.

No, me neither. Chuck 'em out and enjoy the space!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle

excellent
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • hebwood
    • By hebwood 4th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 2,012 Thanks
    hebwood
    So sorry to hear about your pets Charly, Pooky and Wednesday. It makes such a very big hole.

DH is getting another 'boys toy' and the 'old one' was going to be stored in the very packed bedroom, until I gently suggested that perhaps it would make a very nice pressie for one of granddad's we know to give a grandchild. Result!!

Some clothes are being stored for the next charity bag, due to very slow but gradual weight loss due to low carb. Another result.

Still getting there.

Take care, H.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 4th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 11,295 Posts
    • 63,868 Thanks
    kittie
    today I combined prepping, MK and winter prep and I am cream crackered, again. Flipping work doesn`t stop, well it would stop if I neglected maintenance but its my house and it needs to be looked after, it`s my cosy investment nest after all

Two and half large cans of 5* wood preservative used up, so 2 cans to go out, algae washed all over the communal area, another container to leave my garage. 8 large solid black buckets stacked and ready to be re-homed, 6 tomato rings also for re-homing. One water feature broke and is going. Several plants and self watering pots to go. I can see the amount of stuff from my snug window and I can feel it in my joints. None of it can leave until my car has been in for, potentially, a major job, noticed by the garage 5 days before guarantee expiry, phew. Anyway I have backup from a `famous` brother, I haven`t told him yet but if this solo woman is a target for wool over eyes, then I can bring the big guns in. I hope they are honest and ethical, would make my day tbh

Next year I hope to do better wrt my garden ie not get carried away planting stuff. I have ordered 50 tulips and that is it, front and back, no more, no hyacinths, daffodils or anything else. Took ages to clear them all out last spring
    • DianaMattos
    • By DianaMattos 4th Sep 17, 8:37 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    DianaMattos
    Just wanted to say what a lovely and inspiring lot you are! I have read through the thread over the last couple of days, I've laughed, I've cried, I've cried laughing and most of all, I've been inspired by you. I've got the 'Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' out of the library today and have read half already. Very much looking forward to getting into action, and joining you, if you wouldn't mind another member?

Keep at it folks, you're all doing a great job
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 4th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 4,703 Posts
    • 20,349 Thanks
    Slinky
    Welcome Diana, a less cluttered life beckons.

I've just had a rummage through our filing cabinet whilst filing away some paperwork. I'd managed to avoid the folder labelled car insurance which has most things car related in it........ have pulled out 7 years worth of old car insurance docs. We both have cars, several docs were for a car we sold 3 years ago! A few bank statements also hit the shredder. I swear paper will be the undoing of me.

Bunged a guide document for some software that I bought to become more proficient in but know I'm too lazy/set in my ways to bother with. It's one of those 'lifestyle I aspire to lead' rather than actually do. It's been in my office for 2 years, I'm never going to get around to it.

I am however being quite disciplined with some magazines a friend gave me, reading them, pulling out stuff I want to keep which is going in a folder, the rest going into recycling. |Four have been sifted in the past couple of days, they won't be here for long.

A couple of travel brochures also gone for recycling.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 5th Sep 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 8,972 Thanks
    grunnie
    I hope you folks can help me with a dilemma. My late aunt got a little carriage clock when she retired 33 years ago. When I inherited it 18 years ago the spring had gone and instead of every 8 days it needed to be wound up every day. I love the little clock and wound it every day when I switched on the TV. It sits on the tv table. Now 3 weeks ago it would not wind up. The key would not go on the winding bit. So end of clock . One of my sons told me to throw it out but even not working it strangely gives me joy.I googled it and it is worth a few thousand ouch! and I contacted the swiss company who made it. They gave me the name of the company in this country who fixes them and it will cost £250 + bits + vat. Definitely not in my budget as I just have my state pension. So what do I do?
    If I was spending that kind of money I would rather give it to my grandchildren seems a waste to spend it on a clock. Help please.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 215,956 Thanks
    greenbee
    Try an independent clock/watch repairer grunnie - take it in and ask them to give you a quote. You don't have to take it back to the official repairer.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 4,703 Posts
    • 20,349 Thanks
    Slinky
    Well if it's worth thousands but needs fixing and you don't want to pay for it, and you enjoy looking at it even though it's not working, keep it. But ensure somebody knows that it shouldn't just be binned when you pass on. Either they sell it and realise some of the money, or somebody repairs it then. Can you stick a note on the back of it?
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 5th Sep 17, 9:37 AM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 2,216 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    Grunnie Look at this website to see if there is anyone near you.

http://bhi.co.uk/find-a/how-to-find-a-professional/
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 5th Sep 17, 9:37 AM
    • 976 Posts
    • 16,472 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Grunnie, can you inform the family that you would like the repair as a birthday/Christmas gift? Everyone can chip in, and it gives you something back that you enjoy.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6849,99= £ 6071.651 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 5th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 20,692 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    If it still sparks joy even though it's not working, keep it. Most of us don't need clocks to tell the time anyway, because we have a watch/phone/computer/cooker ... even my heating control panel shows the time. So there's nothing wrong with just regarding it as a much-loved ornament.

If it makes you feel sad because it no longer works, then sell it - let someone else pay to get it repaired and go on enjoying it, and spend your little windfall on something that will make you happy. You could always take a photo of it and have it framed!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 11,295 Posts
    • 63,868 Thanks
    kittie
    grunnie I would ask the relatives to combine and pay for repair, in the meantime would just enjoy looking at it but I know that it is that ritual that you miss. I am sure that a real old fashioned horological repairer would do it for you, we had a friend in s wales who was just that, decades of experience and some very famous clocks were repaired by him. They are around, not in jewellers but working quietly in their own homes

Just a couple of sets of cup measures squeezed into the cs trolley today. I needed a rigid set to draw a knife across for accuracy, even joseph joseph are useless for the drawing action and the others are wobbly silicone, they are bagged and out because an amazing set has arrived from america amazon, every cup or spoon measure that I could ever want and flat surfaces to draw a knife across. One in and two out
    Last edited by kittie; 05-09-2017 at 1:43 PM.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 5th Sep 17, 1:48 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,805 Thanks
    Jazee
    Grunnie, it's also possible just to have a modern quartz fitting put in the clock, so it will still look the same from the front, just will be working continuously from a battery. Try an independent watchmaker/jeweller.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) November £781.81 Total £11814.84/£12000

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 5th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 6,581 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I was getting rid of all my uncomfortable sandals anyway so I thought I would look around for anything else to bring to the charity shop. I found a couple of books that I won't read again and will probably look through our clothes to see if there is anything else. My hubbie wears the same few clothes all the time and I'm always surprised to go through his wardrobe as they are some smarter tops that he never wears! They can be donated too.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • greent
    • By greent 5th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 64,844 Thanks
    greent
    Some toys have sold on fleabay - DS3 is happy as he will get the money (they were his toys) and I'm happy as it's more stuff out (I also sold one item on there which I got for free - bonus!)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1221.45/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1730/2017 items
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 6th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    Picklepot
    OK i need to ask you lovely peeps some advice.
    Any recommendations on how to kick start my progress? Ive made big inroads in stopping what comes into the house, but i cant seem to keep the momentum on MKing and getting stuff out. For all the good reasons discussed on here i have to clear it once and for all and then concentrate on maintenance. I am acutely aware of a little 'hoardy ' gene i have passed on by my late DF therefore am determined i have to streamline my house.

Thanks in advance
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Sep 17, 10:46 AM
    • 996 Posts
    • 22,672 Thanks
    MMF007
    Hi Grunnie,

I go with the 'ask family to pay for repairs as a present to you'. Afterall, they will be investing in a future inheritance

Picklepot, I'd suggest selecting a very small category to get started. I did scarves. I had some lovely scarves but I only wore 2. Ever. So I thanked the others and took them to CS where they sold well and other people loved them. I rolled the 2 that remain and they are neatly situated, easily available, beside my gloves and hat, and a fleecy headband. I did feel like this was a big achievement because they were things i thought i loved but were in fact 'blocking' valuable space, iyswim. I am better off without them!
    BTW, i resisted buying a beautiful scarf yesterday, because I knew i would never wear it, so lesson learnt and applied in practice. Thanks MK

Hebwood, 2 great results! I realised that finding a willing recipient helped DH to release a few things. Well done kn steady weight loss. I have plateaued but not for long! We are back from hols next week and then strenuous efforts will resume. A sunny holiday is scheduled for January, so a good target to aim for
    Last edited by MMF007; 06-09-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 6th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    • 809 Posts
    • 20,692 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Well done on stopping the incoming Stuff, that's a big help. I found that once I'd done one category (underwear in my case) it inspired me to carry on and if I felt enthusiasm was flagging, I'd go back and look at it. Try rereading The Book occasionally, I have also found it helps to be reminded of eg reasons why we hang on to things, the need sometimes to say thank you for something before letting it go.

As far as getting it out of the house is concerned I use a Fly Lady tip - once a bag of stuff for the CS is full I put it in the boot of the car. Then there's no excuse for not taking it in, and usually it annoys me so much that I have to arrange a trip.

Are you being held back by the need to find the 'right' home for things? I donated and Freecycled a lot but I had to accept that some of my Stuff had died in storage and wasn't fit for anything. I hate putting stuff in landfill but some of it had to go, and I resolved to learn a lesson from it. Now if I buy anything I think about its recycling potential.
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 6th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    Picklepot
    MMFO7 thanks for quick response thats a good idea ..go for the smaller categories.yes i like that. Yesterday i went through bag and coat pockets. Today i am looking at my wine rack..not being big drinkers i mainly store rolled tea towels there! i think i shall find homes for the cava and champagne with friends that like those. The scarves will be a lesser category for me too. Brilliant on resisting the beautiful scarf.

Can someone help me multiple quote please?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,015Posts Today

8,278Users online

Martin's Twitter