Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,839Posts
    • 21,489Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 111
    • baibelle
    • By baibelle 10th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    baibelle
    Another round of kondo for me. Have started with clothes and did an hour tonight. I have about half a carrier bag of clothes (mostly socks!) for the bin, and another full of clothes to donate or sell. Im going to be trying to sell a few bits to raise some funds, but knowing me Ill get bored and donate the lot after a few weeks getting sick of the bags in pile.

Did anyone here try and sell kondod items? Did you hold onto them for long or move them on quickly to be able to enjoy your new space?
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    ..... to buy my first home.

2018: 1650/10k saved!

#38 1% Challenge: 68.05 / 2018, now at 3%!
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 10th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    • 5,470 Posts
    • 44,290 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Another round of kondo for me. Have started with clothes and did an hour tonight. I have about half a carrier bag of clothes (mostly socks!) for the bin, and another full of clothes to donate or sell. Im going to be trying to sell a few bits to raise some funds, but knowing me Ill get bored and donate the lot after a few weeks getting sick of the bags in pile.

Did anyone here try and sell kondod items? Did you hold onto them for long or move them on quickly to be able to enjoy your new space?
    Originally posted by baibelle
    I do sell some items mainly on Eb*y - they go in a box or bag in spare room and have 3 outings on Eb*y then if no sale off to CS. Have sold a couple of things on FB and these have gone straight away - I thin if there wasnt as bite 24 hours I would take to CS
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    • 1,505 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I just used up the end of a bottle of mouthwash and a tub of body scrub. I kept the tub and washed it out as it's handy to use as storage in my kitchen drawer.

I added another two cardigans to the charity shop donation bag. I kept hold of two more cardigans that I don't like and put them in my pyjama drawer as they provide another layer when it's cold weather.

I have put a jumper and two skirts at one end of my rail of clothes in the wardrobe that I am thinking of donating too. I will try them on before next week and then decide.

I had to pour away half a carton of almond milk as my husband hadn't used it within the week. I stopped drinking tea and so it's just been him putting milk on his cereal. I will make sure he doesn't do that again as it's such a waste!

Actually just went upstairs and decided to add the jumper, two skirts and another shirt to the donation bag. I need to get another bag as it's full up!

I put two books and an eyelash curler in there too.

I just counted and I still have 13 cardigans left, with the two in my pyjama drawer that makes 15. I am not a minimalist when it comes to cardigans. Haha.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 4/60
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 11th Jan 18, 9:52 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 17,346 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Eyelash curler... that reminds me that I have one of those, too. Worse: I cleaned out my make up drawer and actually put it back in! It needs to go!

Yesterday I picked up a rabbit cage, straw, etc. for 55 (GBP 45); all new, and the straw, etc. will last a few months, so that makes me happy. We also picked up the rabbits (yes, 2) and they are soooo cute and cuddly! They are already handtame, 12-week old brothers, and it's good that they are together, as I see them looking to each other for comfort. I smile every time I walk past the cage.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 102,78 = 90.20
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68= 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31= 2,969.05
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    • 1,505 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

We also picked up the rabbits (yes, 2) and they are soooo cute and cuddly! They are already handtame, 12-week old brothers, and it's good that they are together, as I see them looking to each other for comfort. I smile every time I walk past the cage.
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    How cute, what colours are they?
    Books Read 4/60
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 11th Jan 18, 3:33 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 17,346 Thanks
    Siebrie
    A tortoiseshell (light grey-beige-white) and a white one with a few black marks along his spine, their names are Prince and Max, named by my daughters. Last year's rabbit was 'Princess Cinderella'
    Wombling to wealth 2018 102,78 = 90.20
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68= 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31= 2,969.05
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 21,489 Thanks
    Slinky
    I had to pour away half a carton of almond milk as my husband hadn't used it within the week. I stopped drinking tea and so it's just been him putting milk on his cereal. I will make sure he doesn't do that again as it's such a waste!
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Can you freeze Almond milk? When he has a new carton can you put half of it into a clean ordinary milk bottle and freeze it? My OH works away from home and I do this sometimes with 4 pints of ordinary milk as it's so much cheaper than buying 2 pt bottles.
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 11th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 7,523 Thanks
    catshark88
    Today a nice man came and Kondoed the stuff that our vendors had left in the garage when we completed. Unfortunately this was at the (small) cost of the estate agents as the vendors are not answering their calls. Luckily for us, the agents had a better sense of right and wrong than their clients and they agreed to take the hit.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 11th Jan 18, 8:15 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 29,595 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Have had quite a busy week, but made sure I had a paperwork session, plenty for the re-cycling and also loads for the shredder. Still a lot to do, but I know that I will feel much lighter when I have worked through it. Nothing sentimental, but it does include a lot from my last job where the company folded and I was owed money. I have known for a couple of years that I was not going to get the dosh, but left the paperwork stashed in a bag in the eaves storage
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 11th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 3,643 Posts
    • 42,705 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Wednesday - I use almond milk and find that it lasts easily for 2 weeks in the fridge.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1,505 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I threw away two old incense holders yesterday as I have three and I'm going to stop buying incense anyway and just use my essential oil diffuser instead.

Can you freeze Almond milk? When he has a new carton can you put half of it into a clean ordinary milk bottle and freeze it? My OH works away from home and I do this sometimes with 4 pints of ordinary milk as it's so much cheaper than buying 2 pt bottles.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Wednesday - I use almond milk and find that it lasts easily for 2 weeks in the fridge.
    Originally posted by camelot1001
    He can usually use a whole carton in a week if he has cereal a few times. He puts lots of milk in. It's just that I wasn't monitoring it and making sure he was drinking it. I will make sure he drinks it all next time or I will stop buying it for him, lol.
    Books Read 4/60
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Jan 18, 12:15 PM
    • 12,335 Posts
    • 217,115 Thanks
    greenbee
    I saw powdered almond milk in the health food shop when I was in there today if that helps.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1,505 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    ^Interesting, I've never seen that before.

I have used up one of my moisturisers already as it must have been near the end. I have put another one by the kitchen sink to use after washing my hands. I get dry hands as I have five animals and wash my hands a lot during the day!

I'm hoping to kondo another book this weekend as I'm going out on Monday to bring the donation bags to the charity shop.
    Books Read 4/60
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Jan 18, 9:29 AM
    • 3,376 Posts
    • 53,978 Thanks
    silvasava
    Kondoing a mattress protector today into pillow protectors. The bit that fitted over the mattress was like glorified jcloth and split so going to upcycle! DGD picked up her jeans that I'd mended so they're out of the house. I couldn't resist pulling her leg when I told her I'd also mended all the tears in the legs - the expression of horror on her face until she realised I was joking - Bad Nan
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 29,595 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Kondoing a mattress protector today into pillow protectors. The bit that fitted over the mattress was like glorified jcloth and split so going to upcycle! DGD picked up her jeans that I'd mended so they're out of the house. I couldn't resist pulling her leg when I told her I'd also mended all the tears in the legs - the expression of horror on her face until she realised I was joking - Bad Nan
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Naughty of me, but I love this
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 13th Jan 18, 11:20 AM
    • 5,470 Posts
    • 44,290 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Today I plan a busy day attacking the food cupboard,office and stupid walk in bathroom cupboard that is jut too handy to dump stuff in

It will probably be too much but I need a distraction this weekend. I do have a heap of work work to to do but have so far ignored that..... cant concentrate.

Yesterday I had to take our much loved rescue pet for his final trip to the vet. He had been part of our lives for 12 years - DDs had grown up with him - and had given us much joy. After a shaky start with previous owner, he had a good life with us. Today we will be burying him in his favourite sunny spot in the garden. Neither OH and I are sentimental and it was the right thing to do . However he was a real character and will be greatly missed. It has hit my OH really hard.

Yesterday was a sad day and today will be difficult as we clear up his things - hence the need for a distraction. In the last couple of weeks we had to do a lot of "adaptions" to the house as he had become very disorientated and confused - he kept getting stuck behind furniture or 'trapped' behind curtains. His 'adopted' brother and partner in crime is moping around the house looking for him too even though for the last month of his life he never looked at his little friend and shoved him out of the way when the little one tried to snuggle up
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 13th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 5,470 Posts
    • 44,290 Thanks
    Igamogam
    I'd also mended all the tears in the legs - the expression of horror on her face until she realised I was joking - Bad Nan
    Originally posted by silvasava
    My daughter and I found a pair of jeans in Tee Kay that we are sure had more holes in than denim.......I so wanted to ask cashier for a discount as they were so badly damaged
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    • 1,505 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

Yesterday I had to take our much loved rescue pet for his final trip to the vet. He had been part of our lives for 12 years - DDs had grown up with him - and had given us much joy. After a shaky start with previous owner, he had a good life with us. Today we will be burying him in his favourite sunny spot in the garden. Neither OH and I are sentimental and it was the right thing to do . However he was a real character and will be greatly missed. It has hit my OH really hard.
    Originally posted by Igamogam
    Sorry to read that.xxxx
    Books Read 4/60
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 13th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 21,602 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Oh, Igamogam - so sorry. When you've spent twelve years sharing your home and life with them, it's really hard. Distractions, and a few treats, too perhaps, to help you through the first few days. .
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jan 18, 1:32 PM
    • 28,383 Posts
    • 158,154 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Igamogam - so sorry to hear your news about your beloved pet. It's hard, even if you're not sentimental. Don't worry about having a cry, please - it's the most natural thing in the world to feel affection for them.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

490Posts Today

5,425Users online

Martin's Twitter