Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,830Posts
    • 21,407Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 110
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 6th Jan 18, 8:19 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 21,507 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I decided to Kondo the 'work' wardrobe. When I started this process I'd just changed careers and wasn't really sure what I'd need, so this got passed over. Two jersey dresses which I like but don't really flatter my middle-aged figure, I'll try listing them on the Bay to see if I can get anything. A lovely navy trouser suit, but I have not worn it for three years ... think that can go to the CS along with a skirt that's too tight and a jacket that, curiously, I never liked much but was often complimented on. I discovered a dress I'd forgotten about, a very useful belt and some trousers that I can't ever remember buying! Half way through I found myself thinking 'oh, but it's very good quality' and had to remind myself to focus on feelings, not objective criteria.

This makes room for two new jackets which I have just bought, they're a bit of an extravagance but needed for work. And they both spark lots of joy!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 6th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 17,253 Thanks
    Siebrie
    We received the annual elec and gas bill, and have to pay an additional €120 . Our monthly payments will go up by €10. DH blamed the ‘huge amounts’ of laundry I do (max 3 7kg loads per week for a family of 4), while I blamed his oven-use (large oven turned on for 1 baguette for him, then 20 minutes later for dd1 when she sees his baguette. He hardly ever asks if she wants, too); together we blamed the ice in the freezer. I am now turning into the close-the-door-and-switch-off-the-lights police

We went on a small shopping expedition and bought a dark blue longsleeve for me to wear under my woollen cardi, so that we can keep the heating at a lower temperature. Husband and dds are happy in 17C, but I need 17.5C at least; the longsleeve under the cardi helps me feel warm. When I’m cold I start to hibernate .
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 101,98 = £ 52.13
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 7th Jan 18, 12:03 AM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 44,149 Thanks
    Igamogam
    All Christmas decorations down and put away......took minutes and no arguments! All packed away in boxes and back in the cupboard.......that extra effort this time last year has paid off. In the past it would have taken hours and something would have been missed and the boxes left cluttering up living room for days maybe even weeks!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 7th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 4,830 Posts
    • 21,407 Thanks
    Slinky
    Decorations, trees and suitcase have been returned to the loft. Unfortunately the small hamper basket returned by our niece got overlooked and will have to go up next time.

OH managed to file his tax return this morning. We both have bills to pay at the end of the month hey ho.

Kondo'd some cobwebs. The low sun showed a load up which have been despatched.
    • greent
    • By greent 7th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 6,660 Posts
    • 67,722 Thanks
    greent
    Sadly kondo-ed my purple toaster when it caught fire - ended up putting it outside where it burst into rather spectacular flames with black smoke, so I poured 2 pans of water over it to put it out!
    lick
    Can't find the same one in stock anywhere except Shropshire, Dorset and Cornwall - all in shops which don't deliver, only click and collect
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £0/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £17.38/£1000 PAYDOX18 £0/£30k ?? Decluttered 136/2018 items
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 9,547 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had to bin some stuff this weekend, slipper boots ripped, spectacularly. Some uncomfortable socks went to my dog to wrap around her squeaker toys to play with and the two toys and socks binned afterwards.

Sadly kondo-ed my purple toaster when it caught fire - ended up putting it outside where it burst into rather spectacular flames with black smoke, so I poured 2 pans of water over it to put it out!
    lick
    Can't find the same one in stock anywhere except Shropshire, Dorset and Cornwall - all in shops which don't deliver, only click and collect
    Originally posted by greent
    You are going to buy the same toaster again?!
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 3/60
    • Sj62
    • By Sj62 7th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    Sj62
    I'm impressed. I need it at 20! Mind you I put that down to the arthritis. OH would have it at 22 if he could ...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 7th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 11,526 Posts
    • 222,039 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Interesting convo with Mum this evening. Apropros of nothing, she announced her intention to get rid of a very large piece of woodworking equipment. She said she doesn't think she can use it any more, due to increasing disability.

It's been the elephant in the room (or rather, the elephant in the shed) and has been a niggling worry at the back of my mind, as something we'd have to deal with as a family, eventually. And she's the only one who knows about all its many components.

I had deliberately not mentioned it, even in passing, as I didn't want to upset her with the thought that she couldn't use it any more, as it was bought on retirement and was going to be her pastime. But, for us ladies, domestic duties often interfere with pastimes, the years drift past and, before you know it, you find yourself in this position.

I don't feel gleeful, as letting it go is a sad acknowledgement of ill-health, but feel a profound sense of relief that she has decided to release it. The mechanisms of when and how (it has considerable cash value) are yet to be determined but, once a decision has been made, the rest is just logistics.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 35,672 Thanks
    Floss
    for you & your family GQ xx
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Jan 18, 10:28 PM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 53,782 Thanks
    silvasava
    The realisation and decision must have been hard for your Mum GQ. She is so lucky that you are sensitive to her emotional reasons and history. You have been so gentle and caring to her.
    Only thing gone out the house was a very posh bottle of champagne re-gifted to a friend with a significant birthday. TBH I prefer Asti or as DH calls it 'big girls lemonade'!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • elona
    • By elona 7th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    • 11,391 Posts
    • 61,679 Thanks
    elona
    GQ

At least she feels it has been her decision but I am sorry her health is not up to using the item. Maybe a sale would let them have a treat that they really would enjoy.

Middle dd came round for lunch and we dismantled the tree and packed up the decorations etc into boxes and even labelled them properly.

I have dug out my pedometer and put it round my neck for the last couple of days and found my "quiet days" are less than 2000 steps and even a slightly less active day is only around 3000 steps
    Both dds dragged me out for a walk and pedometer is now nearly 6000 steps which is a start to getting a bit fitter.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • firebubble
    • By firebubble 7th Jan 18, 11:08 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    firebubble
    Pavlovs Dog - that is very amusing! I sent it to an American friend of mine; she's slightly despairing of her country, so I think she'll find it (blackly) funny too.

Beany - I haven't heard of kakeibo, but there is a similar method explained in Your Money or Your Life, by Joe someone or other. It's a truly brilliant book on money, it really gets you thinking about what it is and how you treat it. I used that method of recording when I first started to get my debts under control to deal with my constant spending. It's really useful. The trick is to split out the spending categories into very specific headings. For example, if you put 'food' and include all your spends, it won't really tell you where your money is going, I found it better to split food into 1. Supermarket shopping (ie raw ingredients for meals to be cooked at home - separate out non-food purchases such as cleaning products into other headings), 2. Entertainment food (ie meals/snacks/coffee/drinks out with friends - this is the food that is part of your social life), 3. Random food spends (ie a bar of chocolate, takeaway coffee, bottle of water etc).

When you do this, you can see that the random category can be eliminated first, as it doesn't need to be spent at all.
    Then supermarket food can be cut back where possible, but it will never be zero. Entertainment food needs to be thought about a bit more creatively, as if you cut this out entirely you'll be miserable and isolated, but you will see how it can be reduced, and how much you're spending. I also at first shamefully had another category of food waste, but that soon stopped once I was recoding it. It's a good method for nudging you to better habits, as it's so clear to see what is going on, and makes more sense than the oft repeated 'make a budget', which is pretty meaningless.

In other news, I've just spent the weekend reorganising things, I didn't think I had much to declutter but I've filled 3 binliners with recycling rubbish, and have another bag of stuff for the chazzer. Suffering from decision fatigue overload now I think!
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 8th Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    • 6,762 Posts
    • 42,166 Thanks
    Pooky
    I spent last week draught proofing the spare room (window seals had all come unstuck).once removed the gaps around the window were hideous and the plaster along the top of the window came crashing down. So gaps now filled, plaster board and skimming finished, all sealed, all painted all draught proof! Then as the room was empty I tackled the gap between floor and skirting, the room is so warm now! Painted it a lovely warm terracotta colour (was DD2s room and painted turquoise which was too cold a colour for me). It’s now full of my office furniture and all my craft stuff that needs sorting and putting away (today’s job). The small bedroom that was my office is now sorted with double bed and 2 chest of drawers (they need sprucing up but will wait until spring to paint them) and our bedroom had a complete turf out, tidy up and turn around. It was like being in a hotel last night in such a tidy and minimalist room.

All these areas had been kondod before but I was expecting more stuff to go as it moved around but no, just one dressing gown of DDs kept here for the odd night she stays (she’s taken it home with her) and the newspaper and decorating bits used up, ready for the bin. Seems like I’m getting there.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 8th Jan 18, 10:22 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 17,253 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Dd1 gave their bedroom a good clear and clean last week (my condition for a friend to stay over). When she was otherwise occupied I removed a few old cuddly toys. I will wash and donate them. These are not the favourites, just ones that tickled their fancy for a second and now lie unloved and unplayed with. Dd has really done a good job.

The local youth club went 3-Kings singing yesterday, and when they came to our door I gave them a largish bag of our leftover candy (that we got from the youth club’s St Nicolas visit in the first place ).

Someone in the village is giving away rabbits, and we are going to pick our new pet up on Wednesday. I’m now hunting for a cage, etc. I like rabbits Its brother was still there, so maybe I will pick him up, too. Apparently, its better for them to have company.
    Last edited by Siebrie; 11-01-2018 at 9:09 AM.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 101,98 = £ 52.13
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 9th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 15,422 Posts
    • 197,281 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    I hope everyone is well
    Had a kondo of ood tins in the cupboard, brought on my dh fancying some toned grapefruit for his breakfast and thinking it tasted slimy he led the date bbf 2013 whoops! We had 6 tins of evaporated or condensed milk that I don't ever use tucked at the back the youngest of which was bbf 2014 I think they may have been tombola wins as itsnot something we use.
    Spurred on by that spent yesterday afternoon blitzing mils kitchen it needed a really good clean and cupboards were also long overdue a sort out. She's 90 so needs lots of help.

Got 5 things to kondo from my wardrobe that are way past their best to the extent the velvet dress i throw on as a relax outfit is falling in holes at the seams.

Have a good day all. X
    grocery challenge January budget £400 spent £
    SPC~11 No100 : : X4 O/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on Me before you
    christmas Stocking
    17in 2018challenge 0/18
    • wort
    • By wort 9th Jan 18, 8:20 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 7,849 Thanks
    wort
    Oh Siebrie, that's tough, always hard to find extra money at this time of year. You seem to have some lovely customs over there too, I love reading them.
    I'm luck my energy supplier, just emailed I'm in credit and my monthly payments will reduce by 10.00£ .I did get a new boiler in summer though, so not sure if that's made the difference.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 53,782 Thanks
    silvasava
    Gonna change our utility supplier at the end of the month as it looks like we will shave a bit off the bill. I'm a bit of a spreadsheet nerd so read my meters every month and keep track - it does help when you know exactly how much you use in a year. I also keep track of the big bills - insurances, car tax etc and try to improve on the previous years payment - some can't be changed but it's amazing how often if you ask the question a bit more can be knocked off!
    Siebrie - yes rabbits are sociable animals but two bucks may fight as they get older - two females are fine but if you have one of each remember they can breed at a very young age!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 12,340 Posts
    • 217,053 Thanks
    greenbee
    I'm clearing out the kitchen and utility room in preparation for the builders to start tomorrow (two days later than planned, but I'm sure they'll make up the time as I'm away at the weekend...). A few bits have been turfed out and will be taken up to the charity shop at some point, but surprisingly little needs to go.

My office, however, is another matter entirely.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 53,782 Thanks
    silvasava
    Greenbee - is this the last lot of builders now? You must be near the end! Bet you won't know yourself when your house is just as you want it and all to yourself!!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th Jan 18, 1:12 PM
    • 12,340 Posts
    • 217,053 Thanks
    greenbee
    Not quite the last lot... when this is done I'll have a break and then the kitchen needs fitting and some landscaping needs doing (the drive needs reshaping and some land drains putting in). But I need to save up for those!

Not sure what I'll do with myself then... (actually, I do - the new job will take up all the available time, so I think I'm going to have to find someone to do the mowing and some weeding otherwise the garden will become a jungle!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,039Posts Today

8,294Users online

Martin's Twitter