Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,592Posts
    • 19,781Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 1
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 19th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 69,077 Thanks
    VJsmum
    • 19th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    LOL - we have KM'd the old thread

Well done Slinky - there is far too much on the old thread to lose it.

I have kondoed the ironing onto my DD. I said i would pay her as she needs the money, I need it done, and none of the ironing is hers
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 19th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 28,693 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    • 19th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    Always nice to have a fresh new thread! Here's hoping the gremlins are all done mind you!
    OS Weight Loss 3.88/10

V3ry - £1,119.41 and S1mplyBe - £593.18
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 11,280 Posts
    • 217,213 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    • 19th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    Wa-hey, a brand-new thread. Thanks, slinky!

I've just got my bike back from the repair shop (like the Bionic Man, parts of it have been rebuilt ). Very pleased.

This will mean that dump-running can continue (I have no car) and life will speed up a bit, particularly in respect of allotmenteering.

Decluttered a jam-jar of sugar to someone who will use it up in their tea, so that's one fewer item in the cupboard.

Have brought a book down off the To Be Read shelf and stuck it very prominently in front of me, as a declaration that I will read it next. I think Mum would enjoy it, too, so she can have it afterwards and then it can go to the chazzer.

Parents do their weekly outing to Big Market Town on a Weds, so instructed that they should be sure to take the big handknitted blanket to the chazzer today as I want to have room to sleep on the spare bed once I get over there, which will be in the next few weeks.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 19th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 21,618 Thanks
    MMF007
    • 19th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    Thanks Slinky, good job!

Well DH came in last evening with a 32-pack of loo rolls 'cos they were on offer'. We live in a very small house so storage is a real issue. LBM - have taken the bath panel off and 20 rolls are now tucked under there The rest are under my desk!

As an aside, my work today (home help) included mending a necklace, spraying an ant nest, ringing the fire brigade (to get alarm they provided replaced because it is malfunctioning), booking an electrician, and repositioning a garden bench! Oh, well, at least it's never boring
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 19,781 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 19th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    Extra insulation for your bath MMF!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 19th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 51,021 Thanks
    silvasava
    • 19th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    Thanks Slinky.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • greent
    • By greent 19th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 6,300 Posts
    • 63,858 Thanks
    greent
    • 19th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    Wheeeeeeee! Gotta love a shiny new thread!
    x

(Much (charity) paperwork being sorted here - didn't realise *just* how much it was dragging me down. Sorting it - with a view to passing it on - is bringing much lightness )
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • nat21luv
    • By nat21luv 19th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 3,361 Posts
    • 27,370 Thanks
    nat21luv
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    Oooh can I join please? I've been KM'ing for sometime now and each section/room looks great after I've done it but by the time I've done the whole house and get around to having a refresh, I've somehow accumulated more stuff. Having kids doesnt help! Im not looking forward to Friday when I get handed bags of artwork, books, models, pictures, forgotten tupperwear and scrap paper from my daughters tray at school. At least their tatty school uniform can go straight into the recycling bin

Is there a method or list you are following? I find it difficult to follow KM's method of doing a section at a time as a lots of the things aren't mine so obviously wont bring me joy. Apart from that, I follow her teachings.

My ultimate aim is to be more organised, tidy, live in a clean environment, have an easy to clean and minimalist environment and to love every item I own.
    £12k in 2017 #36= £450 £30k by Jan 2018= £15909 53.03% 80lbs (13.12.16)

**MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 20th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 4,496 Thanks
    Fen1
    Does anyone know how to shut down the old thread properly? We now have two threads running simultaneously.
    • simplelivingcottage
    • By simplelivingcottage 20th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    simplelivingcottage
    Hello, I've listened to this book a few times on yo*tube while at work and think the general idea of it is great and I'm slowly trying to bring this into our life. Somehow all the clutter we have in our little home is mine, the other half only collects motorbikes and cars!! So I'm hoping that I can start making a big dent in everything. My only problem is house spiders, you know the big black ones! We have a room half full with boxes and the stuff when we first moved in and I'd love to start clearing this room but if I see one spider that's it sudden panic! Even when armed with the hover!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 20th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 19,781 Thanks
    Slinky
    Does anyone know how to shut down the old thread properly? We now have two threads running simultaneously.
    Originally posted by Fen1
    I've sent a PM to zippychick who is the board guide for OS, hopefully when she sees it she'll lock the old one.
    • hebwood
    • By hebwood 20th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 2,012 Thanks
    hebwood
    Hi everyone

Thank you Slinky for the new thread.

Well done to the newbees and all the other people on the 2016 thread who have made great strides in their KM-ing, it keeps me going. Hugs to others who need them.

As ever with me slowly does it, bits at a time, and finding new ways of using/disposing/storing stuff does bring a breakthrough now and then. And then JOY and the thought - why didn't I think of that before. So gradually getting there.

Take care
    H.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 20th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 9,330 Posts
    • 17,752 Thanks
    zippychick
    Old thread closed

I made you two nice tidy clicky links for your first post if you want them

I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 20th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 27,439 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Thank you Slinky for the new thread and Zippychick for locking the old one
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 20th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 4,496 Thanks
    Fen1
    Thank you Slinky and Zippychick.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 20th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 27,439 Thanks
    maddiemay
    2 bags of clothes, books and household bits and bobs in the car ready to be dropped off at a little CS in a neighbouring town tomorrow which supports a small wildlife rehabilitation and rescue centre. To far to make a special journey, so will start another bag ready for the next opportunity.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 21st Jul 17, 11:11 AM
    • 3,509 Posts
    • 40,576 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Thanks slinky and zippy.

Just back from my hols, ended up in The Netherlands visiting DS2 - he too has been reading 'the book' and has decluttered loads of 'stuff' and bought and fitted lots of lovely new storage units.

Before I left I put my old stinky slippers and worn out pjs in the bin, less to bring home and if I had brought them home I would have kept them, holes and all.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 21st Jul 17, 11:40 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 5,985 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I am giving my mother-in-law a couple of food items we don't want and know she can use them.

I have three tubes of disgusting toothpaste, baking soda type and I keep thinking they must have some other type of use. I tried cleaning the sink with one tube, but it didn't work!
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 21st Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 3,749 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I have three tubes of disgusting toothpaste, baking soda type and I keep thinking they must have some other type of use. I tried cleaning the sink with one tube, but it didn't work!
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    You can use it to clean silver - wet the item, apply a little toothpaste and rub on (as you would with soap), leave for a couple of minutes, rinse and dry with a soft cloth. Repeat if necessary. If it's got intricate patterning you could use a soft toothbrush. The jury might be out on this one as some people say it scratches the surface although I haven't noticed it. Not that I have lots of silver to clean!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Oct GC: £200 - £111.94 = £88.06 / 14/35 NSDs
    Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,882Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin