Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 19th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,404Posts
    • 821Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    0 WOW
    National Trust Membership
    • 19th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    0 WOW
    National Trust Membership 19th Jul 17 at 10:35 AM
    I don't know if this has been mentioned previously but anyone taking out National Trust membership can get it cheaper by joining the Scottish National Trust which has a reciprocal agreement with the National Trust in England.

It could also be a Moneysaving Moral Dilemma whether to do this or not
Page 2
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 11th Sep 17, 12:13 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Just had confirmation from Heritage New Zealand that they no longer make the five year membership card available to overseas members (i.e. us in the UK). It was a great deal as you even got an extra six months thrown in for good measure. I paid £130 for five and a half years admittance to National Trust and English Heritage sites for my wife and I (over 60 yrs of age) .. that was an excellent deal!

Mine expires in 2019 and I've had good service from it ... it has way more than paid for itself. The annual NZ membership is still cheap (and does include English Heritage sites too) but not as cheap. If you also take into account that car parking isn't included in the NZ deal - and if you further consider that English National Trust is introducing pay and display machines into their sites (which are apparently enforceable from 2018) then it tends to make the Scottish National Trust look more inviting ... especially as (at the moment) the Scottish windscreen sticker is confirmed, by Scottish NT, to be sufficient to allow legitimate free parking in English NT sites.

Looks like us money savers are going to have to watch carefully to see what develops. Meanwhile English NT keeps upping their prices and maintains that OAPs have to have had five years past membership to qualify for a discount.

Additionally the English National Trust site at Killerton is asking it's members to help them out by raising £100,000 to fix their leaking roof. See their site for confirmation and to find out where to send your cheque to add a little something to their roof fund.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 11th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    And today have had confirmation from Scottish National Trust that free parking in English NT sites is specifically referred to in the FAQs on their website. Well worth printing off and keeping in the car.
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 12th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    Incidentally, Heritage NZ membership does not allow admission to Wakehurst Place. Full list of benefits to members is here: http://www.heritage.org.nz/~/~/link.aspx?_id=A79E087FB9A44AA0A2566D2E70CC58CC&_z= z
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 12th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Incidentally, Heritage NZ membership does not allow admission to Wakehurst Place. Full list of benefits to members is here: http://www.heritage.org.nz/~/~/link.aspx?_id=A79E087FB9A44AA0A2566D2E70CC58CC&_z= z
    Originally posted by beefturnmail

Spot on! A worthwhile piece of advice which could save potential embarrassment/confusion at the gate.

I did happen to see an enthusiastic online debate between a couple of individuals, one who insisted that you could gain admittance there and the other firmly refuting the case.

It's associated with the Botanical Gardens, Kew, London ... which some may be old enough to remember used to charge one old penny to enter. It's now either £15 or £16.50 (depending whether you chooses to donate extra via Gift Aid).
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 12th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    beefturnmail

It's associated with the Botanical Gardens, Kew, London ...
    Originally posted by Stan.In.Devon
    Not just associated but actually (according to the website https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wakehurst) 'funded and managed by the Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew', begging the question of why is it even on the NT website, with their branding all over it?

In fact (also according to the website) NT members, despite getting free entry, have to pay for parking. You only get free parking if you are a member of 'Friends of Kew' or 'Friends of Wakehurst'.

I've never been so not sure how they operate this in practice, but I imagine many NT members would assume that they would still get free parking here...

Wonder if certain other posters would think it immoral to use their NT membership to gain access to Wakehurst Place ...
    Last edited by beefturnmail; 12-09-2017 at 4:31 PM.
    • durgaprasadzone
    • By durgaprasadzone 12th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    durgaprasadzone
    thanks ino..
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 12th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    thanks ino..
    Originally posted by durgaprasadzone
    Well you've mystified me there. Five years registered with this site and this is your first post... and it's meaning is a trifle unclear....
    • benjus
    • By benjus 12th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 3,074 Thanks
    benjus
    Not just associated but actually (according to the website https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wakehurst) 'owned and managed by the Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew', begging the question of why is it even on the NT website, with their branding all over it?
    Originally posted by beefturnmail
    According to the NT website:

Wakehurst is leased from the National Trust and is managed by Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
    I guess a condition of the lease is access for NT members.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 12th Sep 17, 4:31 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    OK that makes sense - I had originally mis-read the website as saying 'owned and managed' by Kew but it actually says 'funded and managed' by Kew (The NT still own it)
    Last edited by beefturnmail; 12-09-2017 at 4:36 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,761Users online

Martin's Twitter